3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Chat (or Complain) About the Forum Itself
  • You know when there's that nagging feeling tugging at you? When you really should do something, but you don't? Yeeeeeeaaah...I should have listened to that feeling XD. I kept procrastinating on getting an external drive to back all my stuff up, but I didn't wanna dish out the $75-100 for a terabyte. BOY WAS I SORRY, DERP :B.

My computer is in a coma at the moment. She blackout at around 22:00 last night. The doctors are doing all they can, but she's showing little progress...they think she may not make it.(╥﹏╥)

Just when I was getting all my stuff ready and working on a real story line, I loose her in my greatest moment of need! 

That'll teach me not to wait around, won't it?  

ladyfur: 'in your easter bonnet, with mandrakes all upon it, you'll be the faeriest fella in the easter parade...'
  • You know when there's that nagging feeling tugging at you? When you really should do something, but you don't? Yeeeeeeaaah...I should have listened to that feeling XD. I kept procrastinating on getting an external drive to back all my stuff up, but I didn't wanna dish out the $75-100 for a terabyte. BOY WAS I SORRY, DERP :B.

My computer is in a coma at the moment. She blackout at around 22:00 last night. The doctors are doing all they can, but she's showing little progress...they think she may not make it.(╥﹏╥)

Just when I was getting all my stuff ready and working on a real story line, I loose her in my greatest moment of need! 

ONOES!

/hug

So sorry to hear that.
  • Ouch. {{hugs}} I hope they can get the info off your HD at least.
  • *shriek* @ news of dead computer. Ye gods, that's the worst. It's like having a limb chopped off. Perhaps the hard drive can be read as an external, to recover the goods?

You know, I have, like, four different backup systems, with a NAS, external drives, cloud files, and cloud backup. This had been a good thing!  I recommend a simple back up at the very least. More redundancy if you can afford it!

* A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Oh, my. Condolences if prayers don't work. Been there. Yep back up are so necessary.
  • Oh my. I was lucky that my hard drive has always been recoverable. Backups indeed!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • My computer is in a coma at the moment. She blackout at around 22:00 last night.

My sincerest sympathies.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • I plan on backing  the computer up two different ways (Carbonite and an external)SOTHISNEVERHAPPENSAGAINQ_Q

I learned my lesson and my tech geek friend assured me my Runtime and all its content can be saved. That's all I'm really worried about. XD

Thank you all for you kinds words! Man, I'd like to see how loving/supportive you'd all be if something -really- bad happens....heaven forbid.

*Is touched* 8'3
    ladyfur: 'in your easter bonnet, with mandrakes all upon it, you'll be the faeriest fella in the easter parade...'
  • Whew. Good to hear. :)
  • Oh, yay. Glad you're not totally hosed.

We had a rash of massive system self-immolations last year. OK, nothing actually burned, but they were at least that traumatic! So we're still pretty sensitive to the subject. ;)
  • Sad news. France is dying.

[quote="Alisa Uh-Lisa"]Writing this through tears. 
    Unfortunately,things are not going to get better for our friend.  It is
    with deep sadness that I write this.

They didn't do the shock
    they intended to do to her heart, because she suffered heart failure
    last night.  Against what her wishes were, they gave her medication to
    bring her back.  But her condition is just too far gone and there is
    too much damage to her heart and her lungs.

If she makes it to Wednesday, they are planning to remove the machines and simply make her as comfortable as possible. 

I am told by her wife that she looks lovely, like an angel, and I don't doubt it at all.

I
    ask that you keep her family in your hearts as they go through this
    awful time.  As Jan said, she has a wife, children, grandchildren, a
    number of siblings and nieces and nephews who love her, as do all of
    her many many friends.

I will continue to keep everyone informed over the next few days.[/quote]

THread link: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=187220&start=180&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
  • so sad.  I knew she was ill from an email i got from her a while back, but didn't know she was in that bad of health until this all happened.
  • Oh, noooo.

I don't know who she is, but by all the post over at the DAZ forum, I can see why so many care for her v_v. I wish I could offer more sympathetic words....
  • I don't know her, either, but she was both generous and well-respected.
  • Update:  Computer still ill, but it's not all bad. I've forgotten how much I love to draw 
    ❀◕ ‿ ◕❀

• Glad it's not as bad as you feared. Drawing is something I grew up doing but havn't done in decades.
  • Heyas, Puffle! Nice to see you about despite compy complaints.
  • France is gone.

[quote="Alisa Uh-Lisa"]The KCTC family is sad to
    report that our dear friend and the heart of our group, France, was
    removed from the respirator this afternoon, and all medication was
    stopped, other than to make her more comfortable. Her family was with
    her.

Our dear friend is gone, but she is at peace. She will be
    dearly missed by her family, her friends, and the entire graphics
    community who benefited from her generosity in so many ways for so many
    years. We all thank everyone here for their support in this difficult
    time.[/quote]

THread link: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=187220&start=240&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
  • My thoughts are with the family- I have no idea who France is, but still... It is a painful thing to bear.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • GRIM said:

My thoughts are with the family- I have no idea who France is, but still... It is a painful thing to bear.

France is best known among the Toon Poser community for her sweet 'toon freebies and is well known to the Poser community at large for her longstanding service of hosting the freebies of popular folk like Chohole who would never be able to afford the kind of bandwidth that their freebies eat.

She was well loved for good reason by her personal friends and online family.  It sucks to see her pass so early.  Most of us are just getting started around 50.  >.<
  • *nods*  France was supporting the Kids and Cute Toons Club, a small group of freebie makers, as well as about a dozen artist's websites.
  • Sad news.  Her generosity will surely be missed in the poser community.

*Rejoices*

MY COMPUTER IS BACK!!!!!

I'm so happy, I could spit. *spits!*

...ew..

Anyways, my girlfriend fixed it up while I was at school so I came home to a fantastic surprise. X3
  • I'd say she's a keeper.
  • Fabulous. =)
  • Great.
  • YAY! DEFINITELY a keeper! You should...buy her flowers. Take her out. Something. If you are lucky enough to have a girlfriend that cares enough and is smart enough to do that for you? Flowers! *grin*

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • GRIM said:

YAY! DEFINITELY a keeper! You should...buy her flowers. Take her out. Something. If you are lucky enough to have a girlfriend that cares enough and is smart enough to do that for you? Flowers! *grin*

I spoil her enough. I'll wash the dishes or do her laundry for her or summat. XD

• that'd be enough to make me happy ;)
  • Hm... Considering I'm a re-tread, I've done that a few times myself. Yeah, go with that. She'd probably appreciate it more- and probably do it over again after the fact when you aren't looking. :D At least that's what my ex used to do. *Grin*
  • XD@Grim!!
  • glad the comp was saved. :) puffle, have i met you yet?

sorry, i put my RIP to francemi in the other thread
    before i read this one.

scary thing was thousands read alisa's daz thread and
    only a few hundred posted. (i pm'ed, because i no longer
    post there)

after the last storm here we were getting blips daily :(

you'd be writing and then BZAP! comp off, no warning :(

turns out pacific power had an oops. a box nearby was
    taking out the substation because of 3 wires trying to
    have an orgy or something. this is not reccomended
    behavior for electricity. it's fixed now, but we bought
    a hundred buck UPS, but now are afraid to hook it up
    because it's HEAVY and scary and has all these ominous
    warnings...

anybody here know wtf one does to set one up properly
    and not poof the place? hellllp.

~^..^~ ladyfur
  • ladyfur said:

glad the comp was saved. :) puffle, have i met you yet?

sorry, i put my RIP to francemi in the other thread
    before i read this one.

scary thing was thousands read alisa's daz thread and
    only a few hundred posted. (i pm'ed, because i no longer
    post there)

after the last storm here we were getting blips daily :(

you'd be writing and then BZAP! comp off, no warning :(

turns out pacific power had an oops. a box nearby was
    taking out the substation because of 3 wires trying to
    have an orgy or something. this is not reccomended
    behavior for electricity. it's fixed now, but we bought
    a hundred buck UPS, but now are afraid to hook it up
    because it's HEAVY and scary and has all these ominous
    warnings...

anybody here know wtf one does to set one up properly
    and not poof the place? hellllp.

Just read the instruction manual, they all come with one.  Usually the procedure is:

1) Open battery compartment and remove battery.
    2) Remove cover from battery terminals.
    3) Install battery.
    4) Plug UPS into wall.
    5) Plug computer into UPS.
    6) Done.
  • What Jim said. :)  The battery is protected during shipping, so you have to pull that away before starting. Please do use it. Having the power go out when a hard disk is writing is a good way to really screw it up (or so I am told by hardware mavens).
  • Holy crap, I'm like a week late. Please accept my belated greeting. HAI LADYFUR! 8D /jazzhands!!!!
  • puffle, don't feel bad. i keep being late too!
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Good to see you around, Ladyfur. You seem to keep popping in after bed time here. LOL
  • If you've not seen Michael 5 is now available.

http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=13976 

Has anyone played with the Daz's new Genesis? I made the switch over to Poser right when they came out so I'm off the list XD. I'm actually kind of excited for it as the anatomy looks pretty good, then again I'm a bit bummed because I just got caught up with everything M4 has to offer. I only skimmed over the talk that Gen isn't compatible with Poser yet so I'm not too worried about being left behind.
  • If you have Poser Pro 2012 and you're looking at Genesis and thinking you'll be left behind, it's kind of like owning a car and wondering if your friend who's riding the train will leave you behind. 

Studio and Poser are going their separate ways.  It's not "left behind" so much as "different paths", now, because they're no longer going the same direction.
  • Xaa said:

If you have Poser Pro 2012 and you're looking at Genesis and thinking you'll be left behind, it's kind of like owning a car and wondering if your friend who's riding the train will leave you behind. 

Studio and Poser are going their separate ways.  It's not "left behind" so much as "different paths", now, because they're no longer going the same direction.

That I did not know.  I only assumed because since I've been using Daz and Poser (About 2 years now) things have had to be compatible so I never thought that they'd branch off again and do their own thing. Which makes sense, now that you put it that way. The newness of all the content coming out on the Daz site was making my head spin @___@...I just got this, but now I have to turn around and get that. I get it, they're doing their own thing. -nodnod-
  • I've been using Genesis since I finally decided to get to grips with the Daz4 interface at the start of the year and I love it. It is just so versatile to morph and easy to mix and match clothes. I didn't bother with V5 as I can make lots of nice ladies with the basic genesis female and all of the morph packages. Can't make my mind up about M5. I want the toast but not really any of the other stuff that's in the professional package and as someone in one of the forums pointed out $30 is a lot of money for toast. I've been experimenting with attaching the M4 gens to Genesis and so far not so bad. Few more tests over the weekend before I make my mind up. Trouble is they've never released the V5 gens separately so guess they're not likely to the sell the M5 separate either. :(

Be interested to hear comments from anyone who is using Genesis and has bought M5 so see what 'extra' you get for your money in terms of creating male characters.
  • I've been using Genesis since I finally decided to get to grips with the Daz4 interface at the start of the year and I love it. It is just so versatile to morph and easy to mix and match clothes. I didn't bother with V5 as I can make lots of nice ladies with the basic genesis female and all of the morph packages. Can't make my mind up about M5. I want the toast but not really any of the other stuff that's in the professional package and as someone in one of the forums pointed out $30 is a lot of money for toast. I've been experimenting with attaching the M4 gens to Genesis and so far not so bad. Few more tests over the weekend before I make my mind up. Trouble is they've never released the V5 gens separately so guess they're not likely to the sell the M5 separate either. :(

Be interested to hear comments from anyone who is using Genesis and has bought M5 so see what 'extra' you get for your money in terms of creating male characters.

I just remembered what 'toast' is. X"D

Well, good luck with your quest. I still have DAZ installed but I'm like a school girl with a crush on Poser; won'e even look Daz's way. I know of only a small number of people who have been experimenting with the new Gen 5 figures but if I see them I'll ask for ya!
  • With geografting in the hands of PAs, it's highly likely that at some point, one of them will put toast up at MPE or Renderotica.
  • Yes, look at Channing or Jepe to do that. Their *cough* expansions on the M4 and M3 gens were entirely worthwhile.

Thing is, Geneisis is *part* of D/S4, not a figure you can add. Or to look at it another way 'round, D/S4 is totally integrated with it. So that really is a different path, if you think about it. Poser is still very, "let's let the community make whatever they want and use it in Poser," and has maintained a fairly open architecture, with the CR2s being editable and using the very standard OBJ as a figure basis--and now the very user-editable weight mapping and setup getting even easier than before. If you want to roll your own, you use Poser. If you want to buy the whole package and will seldom use anything else (for a human figure) then Studio is you bet.

M5 is better than most of the male Genny characters out of the box, but even his boning is a touch off, and his moobs, while mostly converted, are still there. And there are STILL no shoulder blades! If you are invested in Genny, this is a step forward.

On a personal note: Overall, I don't see a reason to go there from the Poser-compatible M4, and since I have never used Studio, personally--I was using Poser before there was a Studio--I'm content with the roll-your-own and whatever else will come down the line with weight-mapped M4 etc. etc. And I am learning to roll my own, increasingly, and that's the investment I chose to make.

So, you pays your money and takes your choice. :)
  • And there are STILL no shoulder blades

There is a scapular depth and volume in the evolution body morph package, so it is possible to (sort of) have shoulder blades showing depending on the figure pose, but it's true they don't properly relate to all of the scapular movements, especially rotation!

Think there are already some 3rd party gens out there being used with Genesis, but there's some issue or other with M5 and the geografting being on the hip material and matching texture colours. Plus the poor guy needs a hair prop unless he's going around waxed all the time :D
  • Shoulder blades...yeah, some morph is needed. I think Xaa managed to put shoulder blades on his Posey, but she's a bit of a rocket ship now compared to what Posey started out as. He might enlighten us about that if he's inclined.

Genitals that are parented just...always have something that needs fixing, it seems. So, a merkin or postwork. ;)
  • Nanobot said:

Shoulder blades...yeah, some morph is needed. I think Xaa managed to put shoulder blades on his Posey...

Actually, no, Posey's model starts with 'em. ;-)  That was one of my (many) complaints with later models made by Chris Creek, specifically Vickie 4/Mikey 4 and the current iteration, "Genesis" - no shoulderblades.

Nanobot said:

...but she's a bit of a rocket ship now compared to what Posey started out as.

Pretty much, yes. However, as some here may not be aware of what you mean, I'll recap:

Guess which character this is?

Is it the new Genesis™ character, strutting her stuff?

Nope, it's not.

Is it Vickie Four, showing us what she's got?

Nope, not her, either.

Ah, then maybe it's Vickie 3, showing us her old-school stuff?

Nope, not her, either.

So, which character is it?

It's my modded Posette - the Poser 4 nude woman.

As you can see, it was never necessary to add a lot of polygons like they did moving from V1/2 to V3, or a magical magnet system like they did with V4, or create a whole new platform just to get a character to look good like with Genesis. That really is Posette. She's been re-grouped, re-mapped and re-rigged, but the mesh is still otherwise the same. And yet, her bends and overall appearance is better than any DAZ product ever made. I've been tweaking her since back when Vickie 3 was new, and this is the result.

And this image is actually out-of-date, the current version of Posette I'm using is P11xV3_Rev4a_WM, a weight-mapped version of the above that uses Vickie 3 skins.

The problem with Genesis and DS4 is if you say "Hey, I want to do the same thing with Genesis"... Well, so far as I can tell, you can't. I know there are plugins that allow you to alter the characters, but I've had many conversations with people on the DAZ forums about DAZ characters, and I've yet to see anyone come anywhere near the results I'm getting out of a simple 60K-poly mesh with any version of Victoria or with Genesis, despite many of these friendly people I've spoken to being more than happy to tell me how they have more experience and more skill than me, and their program (Studio) is so tremendously, staggeringly better. I have to conclude there are only two possible answers to how this happened:

1) I am the most amazingly, staggeringly, astoundingly gifted individual in the world, far and away smarter, more artistic and more inventive than any human being on this planet who has ever tried these programs.

2) It's not me, it's the software.  Daz Studio may be a great program, but Poser is overall the better program, as once you learn the program, it allows you to more easily tweak characters for optimal performance.

Currently, I'm leaning towards option two, but feel free to flatter me by suggesting it's option 1. ;-)
    Test1.png
    600 x 600 - 405K
    Test2.png
    600 x 600 - 296K
    Test3.png
    600 x 600 - 333K
    test4.png
    600 x 600 - 93K
    posette3.png
    584 x 554 - 147K
  • Don't get me wrong, however.  I'm not saying "Studio Sucks, Poser Rocks."  It's not that simple, from my perspective.  What I'm seeing is two different companies with two different programs that are taking two different paths. 

Poser is, when it comes to characters and add-ons and scripting and stuff, open source - it's only the executable code that is proprietary.  It was intended from the ground up to be something that the community could expand upon easily - and, they have.  The flip side to this paradigm is that while it's not that difficult to learn to use Poser, and the potential for modification and customization is very large...  Well, learning to modify the characters, create new content or even modify the program itself (using Python scripts) requires more time spent learning and experimenting.  Poser isn't hard, but it does take time to learn.  Many people don't want to invest that kind of time, or simply don't have that kind of time to invest.

Studio, on the other hand, is entirely closed.  You can alter characters, but not natively - you have to buy a specific plug-in to do it.  You can also make characters, but this requires a plugin, too.  The formats are not human-readable, nor are they alterable outside of the program itself using the required plugins.  And tweaking the characters to the level I've done takes a lot of work.  Studio's paradigm is "buy our new plugin/character/pose-set/clothing-set/hair/skin and then click buttons."  DAZ releases content, the consumer buys it and uses it.  This is perfectly fine, if that's the direction you want to go.  But if you have the time to invest in learning to tweak characters to get what you want out of them and the desire to invest that time, Poser may be a better choice, as your options are broader.

So, it's not a matter of "Studio Sucks, Poser Rocks."  It's really not that simple - it's two different paradigms regarding expectations of how the end-user will use the software, and how easy (or difficult) it is for the user to go beyond the expected paradigm.
  • That is the best explanation of the differences I've ever read. And also the best explanation of the reason why starting with Studio (for me) made a lot of sense, and now moving to Poser makes just as much sense.

I always want to be able to produce something quickly. I hadn't planned on getting as involved in 3D as I did when I first tried it. So Studio made sense at first -- a comfortable, quickly learned interface. And NOT something I wanted to see changed (hence my ire at Studio 4).

But now I want to know more, I want to tweak and enhance and modify. And since Studio4 pushed me into Poser, I'm happily navigating this new interface.
    Suspiro ergo sum.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!