3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Chat (or Complain) About the Forum Itself
  • I agree with them, AP. It takes a big heart to be a good nurse. :)
  • *hugs*  Nurses helped keep my younger kid and husband alive, what's not to like?  :D  
  • Thaaaaaaaaaaaanks, guys, :) Really, really appreciate it, :)
  • Xaa said:

I have severe astigmatism from childhood rubella.  I do best with 1) white background, black text; 2) black background, white text, 3) black background, gold (#FAAC06) text.  Anything else tends to give me migraines after awhile.

ouch. i have astigmatism from god knows why, always have had. my computer is set to system colors ONLY, in my case, dark purples  with light bluegreen text. my firefox is set to use ONLY system colors... if i have to look at the
    internet the way it actually looks on a library computer i go blind. i also have no bg images, so i just count on mouse to hunt for links. when the pointed finger or blinking cursor shows up... then i know i'm on a link...

yes, a lot of sites are inaccessible for me.
    but... phpbbs work. this is close enough. i can play youtube videos,
    read most news articles... read and post emails...

yes, it's kind of boring, but it's purple computer and internet or none
    for me. white bg. literally make me cry in seconds they hurt so badly.
    thank god for firefox options!

~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Damn bloody stupid astigmatism. I think mine is getting worse because screens and book pages have been getting increasingly blurrier. It's like... maybe I should have my eyes checked? Could be a smart decision.

Which is why it's complicated to implement. Naturally.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • didn't i already post? why am i in italics? ... um... i'm not finding my replies...
    i thought i put... but for those of us born that way, it's normal. i have no perpheral vision. and i hit the post comment thingy...
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • surochek said:

maybe I should have my eyes checked?

Yes.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Xaa said:

surochek said:

maybe I should have my eyes checked?

Yes.

Hah. It was kind of a rhetorical rant, but the support is much appreciated.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Hey, anyone over the age of 40 should have their eyes regularly checked, particularly if you notice vision changes, and even moreso if you know you have high blood sugar or high blood pressure, or have a family history of glaucoma.  There are a surprising number of conditions that are easily treatable if caught early, but lead to irreversible vision loss if ignored.
  • Yes. Up until recently I thought my glasses had been a little crumpled and mis-aligned. Now I'm looking at making an appointment.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Another thing that can make a difference is if you've had high blood sugar for a long time (as you did), then get it down to normal levels (as you did).  This can actually change the shape of the lens of your eye, meaning you need a new prescription for your glasses.  Likewise, having your blood sugar suddenly rise can change your prescription - and vision changes are often the first sign of diabetes for many people.  Certainly it was for me.
  • Oh. Good news means new glasses. Can't win for losing. Well that fits in with the yucky weather today.

On the other hand... It means I would get to pick new glasses... Hah.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Welcome to the new guys (and gals?), :)
  • ladyfur said:

didn't i already post? why am i in italics? ... um... i'm not finding my replies...
    i thought i put... but for those of us born that way, it's normal. i have no perpheral vision. and i hit the post comment thingy...

You posted! :D
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Hmm..I'm not legally blind,. but close enough that if I'm not wearing corrective lenses or my contacts I literally cannot make out anything past two and a half feet from my face - and that's a stretch. After five feet it's not a blur anymore, there are segments of color if it's daytime or black and white if it's night that are completely incomprehensible to me. If I am not wearing corrective lenses in anyway, I have to be eight inches from the monitor to be able to read it.

They said back in Jr. High if I wore my glasses ALL the time, my eyes would fix themselves. Back then I could at least make out the blackboard (almost) from the back of the class. Now? I'd have to be licking it to read it.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • i've been unable to wear glasses, other than a pair of old shades
    that are not corrective, for many years, due to head injury. i had
    an eye doc ONCE try a test contact lens on me, just to see my
    reaction. i SCREAMED, 'get that piece of glass out of my eye!', in
    less than half a second. he said that was a soft lens...

my monitor is set at 800x600, large fonts, and i have to be a foot
    from it at very most... yes, i miss a lot, but what i don't miss i do
    appreciate more. i'm hypoglycemic, so not diabetic, the opposite.

hi, angelus. i'm female, like my name says. lady for catlady,
    because i used to do cat rescue in the 80's. fur was our cat,
    who died last year at age 22. we are petless, but i'm not changing
    my username i've had for years...

so, xaa is male, and the one making all the pretty bluegreen
    glowing eyed drow elves is female? interesting...

sorry, nanobot, i didn't see...

um, surocheck, over, youknowwhere, they began a new
    thread, the complaint lair, and a bunch of them were
    asking where you are... somebody posted a link, assumably
    to your website? i didn't post anything, because i'm assuming
    if you wanted to be found you would be... just was letting you
    know they might be sending out the 3d virtual search party,
    if they can get past that wierd trainless subway that is today's,
    'mad', special over there...

i like it here. nobody whining that i'm doing something wrong
    by breathing. what a change!

ladyfur
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • What is it about last year and pets?  Quite a few of us lost our companions in 2011.
  • i'm sorry, wayii, condolences. the year before it was the
    tainted pet food. my guess is that some of it was not
    caught in time, sat in warehouses, and eventually got
    bought by accident... but i'm guessing.

i'm thinking davy jones is with some pets at the rainbow
    bridge now, rip. for an idea of generation recognition,
    there's a daz thread about him and i shows that there
    are a lot of us artists who remember that era either as
    children or teenagers...

awful lot of celebrities lately as well, not just animals...
    odd.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Sooty for being this late, but I wanted to welcome all the new arrivals, too. Welcome!

As for pets, my cat had to get her thyroid removed this year but thankfully seems to have recovered fully despite being twenty years old. I hope she has a few more years in her.

And as for astigmatism, I have noticed my eyes getting worse, too. Which may partly be down to wearing my glasses and partly due to staring at the screen too much when setting up renders. Frank asked me last night what I would do if I suddenly got blind(last year a policeman in the uk lost his sight after a rampant killer shot him in the face. The cop was found dead yesterday, presumably suicide). My answer surprised myself: while it would sadden Mae to not be able to do art, having lived next door to my blind aunt for years that really did not shock me.
  • Hi people, (for the record I'm a female ;) )

Since we all seem to a partially sighted, cat loving crowd, here's my story.

I've worn specs since I was seven. I switched to contacts when I was twenty, and had no problems wearing the gas permeable ones for over twenty years. Then we moved to Gozo in the med and the dust irritated my eyes so much I decided to try soft lenses. Biggest mistake I ever made. Within a month I had a bacterial infection in my left eye. They think I probably got water in my eye whilst showering. I spent a week in hospital and nearly lost my left eye completely. Wearing lenses for so long had made me more tolerant of pain so I didn't seek help until the point I felt as if red hot needles were being stabbed in my eye, by which time the bacteria had eaten most of the inner part of my cornea. Changed the shape of my eyeball too. Looking through corrective specs everything out of my left eye is hazy. Oddly enough though, if I don't wear my specs I can actually see better out of my left than my right eye. So technically, I'm 'blind' and I get free eye tests.

As to cats, we have 12. They are all rescue cats and 6 of them were hand reared by us. They roam about the house and courtyard at will. Some venturing further afield. We love them all to bits but it makes taking holidays difficult as it's seems such an imposition to ask friends to come in and look after a dozen cats :)
    We also lost a sweet little kitten we were hand rearing last year. Cried for days. She's wasn't the first young kitten we lost, but I always feel I didn't do enough /sigh/

• dyla,

i'm so sorry! i hope your eyes get better, really, i do. i know, docs will
    say they can't but... i believe in miracles and magic.

as to the kitten... listen, i did cat rescue. i held dying animals
    and i know exactly how you feel. but the actual truth is whenever
    we do all we can to help, no matter for who or what, of any species,
    we are doing what we are supposed to be doing and it really is
    enough, even if we don't get the results we think we should get.
    i howled for hours because one of my kittens years ago was hit
    by a car and i found him on the street... i howled, the way a parent
    would mourn... but i eventually realized that even in that, what
    mattered more was that i had loved him, and that some children
    learned not to play in the street, so it likely saved lives, even though
    i lost my, 'baby'... in your case, you did the right thing, and all you
    need to know is you did not fail.

i'd say more but it's been so long since i really consoled pet people...

hugs. 
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • {{group hug}}

ladyfur, anyone I really care to talk to has migrated to this new forum-place from the old Complaint Thread. It's nice to be missed, though. Thanks for letting me know.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • image  My dearest wish is to make a nice forum-home and artist colony for good people. Really, artists of any stripe do better in big clumps, even if our artifying is fundamentally a solitary endeavor. I wouldn't mind if more writers (we already have a few) and musicians showed up, either.

• Oh, wouldn't that be cool?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Very. :)
  • Nanobot said:

image  My dearest wish is to make a nice forum-home and artist colony for good people. Really, artists of any stripe do better in big clumps, even if our artifying is fundamentally a solitary endeavor. I wouldn't mind if more writers (we already have a few) and musicians showed up, either.

Very well said Nan, it's so relaxing to not have the forum-guards hounding you and breathing over your shoulder as if you're a criminal lol.
  • Oh you mean those people in white holding the nice comfy jackets with the buckles and all? I thought they were butlers.

Oh wait. That was a different place.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

Oh you mean those people in white holding the nice comfy jackets with the buckles and all? I thought they were butlers.

What do you mean they're not butlers?
  • I heard rumors... I mean, I know, they go around bringing trays of drinks and those weird little snacks. And they always hold coats for you...

But I heard rumors.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Hehe, you crack me up.
  • 'oh, rhett, you, 'butler', you! how could you?'

'frankly, my dear, i don't give a daz.'
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • *chuckle*
  • Bwah! Perfecto.
  • Anybody know if there is a freebie mop and bucket caretaker trolly out there? I don't know why but I seem to never find the more mundane items I am looking for.
  • Janitorial supplies! Should come with these fancy sci-fi corridors, you'd think. Someone's got to keep them shiny!
  • Nudge, nudge , wink , wink say no more! Yes, Jack, that went in your direction....
  • HTTP Status Cats, speaking of complaining about the forum...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/girliemac/sets/72157628409467125/

• Nanobot said:

HTTP Status Cats, speaking of complaining about the forum...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/girliemac/sets/72157628409467125/

:))  Our cats are definitely guilty of 508 !!
  • They detect loops? Well, I suppose they do!
  • I thought that was hamsters?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Nanobot said:

They detect loops? Well, I suppose they do!

Yep! One is very good at timeout network errors as well ....
  • Just to let you know, Mav's computer seems to be on its last leg, so she'll lay low. I'll ask if she would like to post some of her gallery work from DA, she made a new humanoid alien whose skin is just a marvel.
  • dylazuna said:

surochek said:

I thought that was hamsters?

and cats http://dylazuna.deviantart.com/gallery/29025718#/d3b6sap

Definitely a 508.
  • Raetjor said:

Just to let you know, Mav's computer seems to be on its last leg, so she'll lay low. I'll ask if she would like to post some of her gallery work from DA, she made a new humanoid alien whose skin is just a marvel.

It is still somewhat running... but it is almost dead. I do not dare to render anything any more and starting photoshop is something that makes my old machine suffer a lot... I am saving up money for new computer parts to build a new rig... The bad thing is that I was doing commission work FOR EARNING MONEYS for the new computer... but for commission work I need a working machine... So everything is getting a little tough at the moment... I might ba able to get something done at my computer at work... we will see.
  • Something some of you might be interested in. Smay's store is on sale at Rendo: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=185564&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
  • I wish you good luck on getting money for the computer, Mav.
  • Thank you for the store link, Terre!

Mav, yes, luck for the new compy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!