3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Chat (or Complain) About the Forum Itself
  • Sorry, it's not on by default. No email notices for me.
    Auto was set for PM notices.
  • Ah well. At least you found it?? This will do.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Nan, is there any way to boost the displayed avatar size to 100x100?
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Jim found it for me, yes. Then turned off the two things that actually were set for auto messages as I don't need them. I just manually chek when I want to.
  • Avatar sizes: I don't know offhand. There's no parameter for that in the Dashboard. I suspect it's buried deep in the Vanilla code somewhere. That'll take some reseach. It is small, isn't it? *squints*
  • Yup. Is quite small.
  • Xaa said:

Yeah.  It's just my astigmatism.

. Is that why I'm constantly having to crank up the brightness on all of my monitors? Never thought it might have anything to do with seeing double outlines on account of rugby ball shaped eyeballs.
  • Raetjor said:

Xaa said:

Yeah.  It's just my astigmatism.

. Is that why I'm constantly having to crank up the brightness on all of my monitors? Never thought it might have anything to do with seeing double outlines on account of rugby ball shaped eyeballs.

Rugby ball shaped eyeballs. Funny way to put it. LOL.

I gotta remember that one. ^-^
  • Complaint.

Market place choices.

I usually buy TDK, Fuji,or even HP(actually made well to my surprise) brand DVDs. Even a generic called K-Hypermedia which turned out to record well and last years. Most stores USUALLY have a number of brand choices.

Today I go out to get some more DVD's to record on. I go to Target, Officemax, Staples, Frys food market, then Walmart looking for one of my usual brands. ALL of those stores are carrying only one brand now...Memorex. No damn selection at all, the whole damn isle of each store is nothing but Memorex. WTF!?

No Fuji, no TDK, no HP, no K-Hypermedia, no Verbatim, no Imation, no Maxell,..think I missed one...but all the usual choices completely gone from all the stores. It was farking weird! Even spooky weird! The media isles of each of these retail stores all looked like the same store.

Trouble is every time I've tried Memorex the recording surface quickly flakes off. Even the sales people were saying that. O.o;;

Finally, of all places, it was a hole-in-the wall Radio Shack that had some brand choices.  m(_ _)m
  • Ick. We havn't needed to look for some in a while. Makes me wonder what's available here.
  • Radio Snack is usually the place for oddball electro-goodies, indeed.

All Memorex all the time? *shiver*
  • I have to order ours ... mainly because I'm ordering 1/4 tape in seven inch reels...  :D  
  • I thought this was cool. Good news. =)

Louis CK's Internet Experiment Pays Off
  • Good on Louis, I say. Saw him live a few years back in Edinburgh. The man is an absolute hoot.
  • Just to let you guys know, I 'be changed my settings but still don't get notifications of posts.
  • Yeah, I am thinking this may happen on the server side, as I have the same problem. Or do you mean you changed your server settings? If so, then that is truly odd, as others seem to be getting them...

But I'm in the same boat as you.
  • Yeah, I am thinking this may happen on the server side, as I have the same problem. Or do you mean you changed your server settings? If so, then that is truly odd, as others seem to be getting them...

But I'm in the same boat as you.

Neither of you fellas had "Notify me when someone comments on a discussion" checked, so I did that in your preferences. This forum defines "my discussion" as one YOU started, so unless you started one...no notifications there.  Let's see if you get one for this comment!
  • I thought this was cool. Good news. =)

Louis CK's Internet Experiment Pays Off

The comments were as interesting as the notice. They seemed to conclude that reasonable prices for something people actually want get sales, even if they are warezed. Which...wait, that makes sense...
  • I thought I checked all of them off. Weird. I wonder if it didn't save my settings?
  • Guh... hopefully this one will work. Been trying for a while. Every time I try to post here things slow down to a crawl and/or don't get posted at all. Just me?
  • It's been okay for me today.
  • It got posted, AP.
  • Wow, awakedness happened....

< looks at bed >

< contemplates >
  • Hah. I put down another 12 hours last night. Tired grrl.
  • Complaint.

I'm back into my purchase files, again trying to rebuild runtimes. I was doing this months ago when multiple back to back OS failures stopped me and burned me out on the whole thing. I forgot how many files I have. I think organizing the clothing runtime might break my brain. V2, V3, V4, A3, M2, M3, D3, H3, TY2, Miki, G2...clothing types, Sci-Fi, Fetish, Contemporary/modern, Old west, Fantasy... Uggguuu.....

Complaint Two.

One of my past hair purchases was not the actual hair but only a add-on package.

• There are no complaints...only anti-uncomplaints...

...what....
  • Hey, all. Need some help. At first I thought it was a DS only issue, but turns out it doesn't work in Poser either. Anyone have pgmeri01's Sci Fi Bar from Rendo? Everything loads ok in Poser and with the usual needed surface tweaks in DS, except the inner Bar model. The UV map is borked and there are exploding polygons all over the place. If anyone has it, could you check if it's an issue with the model or just my copy? If it's the latter, then I'm screwed since I bought it a LONG time ago...

DS and Poser screenshots attached.
    Example 2.png
    602 x 339 - 275K
    Example.png
    800 x 450 - 198K
  • And it actually looks worse in Poser. This is P7 btw if that helps any.
  • I've seen Poser do that on some models on very rare occasion. I believe it's and open GL issue if it's the same thing. Normally only looks that way in preview but renders normally.
  • Thing with that though... even exporting it out from DS to Hex shows the asplodey polygons, AND the vendor replicated the problem. I finally got a sitemail from him so hopefully something can be worked out.
  • He modeled it with n-gons left in it, the idjit. That's a no-no and just...well, sloppy. Poser may render those OK, or show them as holes. But the preview display inevitably goes wonky.

• Wow. I'm glad the problem as been found by it's maker.
  • Nano - My P7 didn't render them right. I could still see the n-gons all over. Let me not even say about DS. 

MLB - Yeah... he fixed the obj, but the textures still load wrong. And I just noticed the ceiling does the same thing... I'm not having a titty attack because aside from a few wonky freebies, the rest of his stuff is well made, just with the usual material adjustments needed in DS, but this one's just... crap. And it would work perfectly in my universe, that's why I want it fixed. 

I read somewhere that PoseRay can fix wonky meshes, so I ran the ceiling by it and alas, it got rid of the n-gon but it left a hole where the n-gon came from. Now, I could probably fix that in Hex, but what can I do so the prop file calls that new obj instead of the old one? There isn't even an external geometry folder provided for most of the models in the set.
  • Problem with changing the geometry to fix this is that it's going to need a new uv map. Even if it doesn't look like a big deal to our eyes, to the programs, it's just not the same. I know this isn't good news: old textures won't work right on the new fixed bits.

This is one of those places where tidiness at the modeling stage really counts. Hell, I have to re-uvmap some things several times as I find issues. All part of the process. But really, people downloading this stuff shouldn't have to be guinea pigs. Or the files should be presented as "beta" files.
  • Nano - Exactly my thoughts. Despite the fact that I've learned a few things in my attempts to fix it, I shouldn't have to. It's not my personal model, and if I paid for it, I expect it to be done well. But anyway, it'll be something I'll tackle much later.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone! Hope this new one brings love, new challenges and lots of blessings, ^_^

That said, here's a complaint. And hell, happened before 12 so can't say I'm starting the year with a complaint, :-P In typical carrebarro fashion, my job called me asking me to go to work tonight. One, it's not my weekend to work, two, I'm on vacation. If I don't go do OT when I'm working regularly, WHAT ON EARTH makes them think I'll do it on my weekend off AND while on vacation?? They're out of their mind.

THAT said, G'nite all! Hope you have pleasant dreams, :D
  • Oh, meant to ask. Nan, if the part that needs fixing in a model doesn't even have a texture (meaning it's supposed to be glass and it's just an opacity and diffuse change, would that still change the UV map?

• Happy New Year!

fireworks2.gif
    320 x 240 - 113K
  • Oh, meant to ask. Nan, if the part that needs fixing in a model doesn't even have a texture (meaning it's supposed to be glass and it's just an opacity and diffuse change, would that still change the UV map?

The UV map is about the overall layout and the space coordinates of all the parts -- so yes, it would, since to the computer, it's not how it looks, it's the numbers that count.

But I'm ready to be contradicted.

Happy New Year! *confetti*
    Suspiro ergo sum.

It needs to have UVs. But those are usually generated when it's made, usually--in Hex, just open it in the UV editor. That's my understanding, so no, a glass object with geometry separate from other items can just get a material zone and then a procedural material and behave well. Well, in Poser anyhow. That's what I did with my sword, and it's fine.
  • Suro - Got it. *takes notes*

Nan - The glass is still part of the overall geometry, but has a different material zone with no actual texture, just a diffuse and opacity change, so I guess the UV map would still be borked, no?

*sigh* I posted a thread at the Rendo forums asking for help and I immediately got accused of bashing the vendor. What's going on in the 3D world these days...? Everyone is so sensitive... so thanks Nano and Suro for your help here, :)

*edit* Oh, one more thing. In the render I'm planning the messed up part of the ceiling won't be visible, but it still casts an odd shadow with the light set up I used. And well, I'd like to have a well made model...
  • Yeah, I think the UVs may be borked, without seeing the thing itself. Damn, did I buy that? *wonders*

Like you should have to beg for the thing you paid money for to work. Augh. Best to deal with the vendor, I guess.

The Rendo forums...don't know, myself. Haven't posted there in years. And, well, you know I've withdrawn from the DAZ forums because of the poor behavior there, too. Ugh. Why is being reasonable so difficult? Eh. Ignore them. But it would have been nice to get some help. image
  • It's this one if it helps any. 
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/scifi-bar-by-3-d-c/83447 I'm curious to see if it's a P7 problem and not a problem with the thing itself, since he does say P8 is "recommended". 

I tried working with the vendor, but the response I got two days ago was at least two months AFTER my original inquiry. He said he "lost track" of it. Which, of course, he may have. But still. And even if he fixed the obj the textures are still wrong. Granted, I can fix that, but I shouldn't have to. Eh, I'm just going to take this as a learning experience then. I had actually uninstalled Hex after I got the Blacksmith Suite, but I can re-install Hex if need be. I'm going to go to the Makin' Stuff forum now to not derail this thread anymore, :)

As for the forums, yeah, pretty much gone from the Daz ones too, heading out of the Rendo ones as well. Too much oversensitivity going around.... 
    And hey, got plenty of help right here, so thanks! ^_^
  • {{hugs AP}}

Happy New Year everybody.
    (Had a price change batch from hell and ended up putting in over 12 hours at work today.)
  • terre said:

{{hugs AP}}

(Had a price change batch from hell and ended up putting in over 12 hours at work today.)

Working on New Years Day, all wrong! *hugs*
  • Nanobot said:

terre said:

{{hugs AP}}

Working on New Years Day, all wrong! *hugs*

I agree. Uggguuu....
  • Guh... not fun working on the holidays, right...? I got stuck with christmas eve and christmas. Lucky me it fell on my scheduled weekend. 
  • However, people who work in hospitality never have big holidays off. People want to eat out, right?

And I suppose that the grocers never sleep, either. *sigh*
  • Pretty much. The only day we're actually closed is Christmas. We do close early on Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas eve, but that's it.
  • So glad I'm a government subcontractor.  Even if we do work holidays, we get double pay. :)
  • didn't follow what's going on this thread, my bad. But, AP, just checked with that troublesome bar of yours  and mine loads absolutely fine in poser 2012 releases. I'd suggest going back to your order history and re-downloading the files, since it seems to be something that happened at your end rather than with the actual file.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!