3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
  • Aha! So there is hope for willing but impaired Silo-learners!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

Aha! So there is hope for willing but impaired Silo-learners!

Yep, there is.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.

• Nanobot said:

I used the laces tutorial to help make the shorts I did. All of his tutorials are pretty good.

And you do know how much I luuuuurve those shorts Nan! lol.

My biggest problem with Silo seems to be the many different hotkeys and key commands one must remember to be able to use it properly. I still haven't figured out how to move the camera vertically. I knwo how to zoom in and out and rotate, but I can't raise or lower the camera, grrr! Any help?
  • Hey ho, Celtic-

The view controls part of the (largely inadequate) Silo manual is here: http://www.silo3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=View_Controls

But to save you the click:

Rotate: Alt + Left Mouse Button

Rotates the view with mouse drag. Rotation will occur around the manipulator.

Pan: Alt + Middle Mouse Button

Pans the view with mouse drag.

Zoom: Alt + Right Mouse Button, or Alt + Scroll

Zooms the view with mouse drag or scroll.

Cycle Shading: Ctrl + Alt + Scroll, or 0

Cycles shading modes (for example between flat shade and smooth shade).

You can assign or check out the keyboard and mouse shortcuts in the program by going to Edit/Options menu -> Keyboard Settings or Mouse Settings. The Pan viewport is in the Mouse settings.

Now, Silo's pan viewport was just a *little* different from Modo's--which I also use--so to save brain-strain, I changed it to CTRL-ALT-Left Mouse Button.  Something else had to be moved, but it wasn't something I used a bunch. *shrug* I forget.
  • PS - holding down the middle mouse button (scroll wheel) is a pain, which is another reason to change it.
  • Howdy everyone!  I'm back.  Again.  >.> 

Ok.  I did attempt to work what our lovely Jim explained.  I went through a few tuts on the subject matter as well.  I made screen shots of what happens in Studio and Poser Pro- and the screen shot from the CR2Builder.  I sincerely don't know what it is I am doing wrong.

I loaded V4, the morph sets for the base, ++, elite, Stephanie and Muscle.  I used those dials to get the base of the morph.  Then went into the morph brush in Poser Pro and worked the mesh on her face only to get it where I wanted it and saved it to have the morph dial appear.  I did go through the morph dials and deleted the groups or individual morph dials I hadn't used as well. With "Use External Binary Morph Targets" unchecked, I placed it to zero and after making sure the head was selected went to the Poser Pro library and added the Milla Head by clicking the + button.  Then, I get pop ups that aren't in any tutorials I managed to grab.  You name it, and there are sub-selections. 

Opening this, you have a listing of every body part, the ground, the center of mass and the morph magnets.  I deselect everything but the head and click ok to get to the pop up where you name it and click the ok button again. A second window pops up asking to select "save morph channels" and "body -something-".  I select morph channels and the body option and click ok again. 

I saved again, closed out the scene and opened a new one.  Did the same process- load V4 and all the morphs, then double clicked the thumbnail for the morph.  The mesh is broken in several places, she's all twisted and the custom morphing I did to her face is nonexistent.  I opened Studio and did the same process, and the breaking and twisting isn't present, the dialed morphs are, but the custom morphs aren't.

When I opened the file in CR2Builder, it's vastly different than the rest of the files I've checked out by other vendors that stated they had "custom morphs" in their products.  I've attempted to work through the code, but admittedly- I have no idea on what I am doing, even with the tutorials.

This is the third night in a row I've spent hours trying to get this to work and I'm seriously frustrated.

The screen shots are included, and I can send over via email the PoserPro scene file itself if anyone wants to dig into it.  The textures I had in there are Hayden if you need to know which ones are in there.

If I can get some insight, I would be eternally thankful.  I'd like to get this done and able to export in anyway (the file isn't going to be distributed other than here for help and the client) so I can move onto AP and I's collab and our Comic challenge.

Thank you! 
    ...and I had a thought, would it be easier to make this into a PMD file and go through the codes in a text editor to create this?  I have a complete PMD Inection tutorial I could use for Poser 6 and up.

Dar

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.

• GRIM said:

I sincerely don't know what it is I am doing wrong.

And since I don't use studio at all (it will not run on my machine), I am at a loss for answers beyond this point.

At this point, the only remaining option I can see is to uninstall studio and just render in Poser.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • *giggle* (mind you, we just had a delicious birthday salmon dinner with good wine to toast the birthday girl, so don't take it too seriously) -- that's pretty much what I've ended up doing. I do still have Studio on my machine (I have a bit of a hoarder syndrome, it takes me a while to throw things away), but I haven't used it in ages.

OTOH, I'm still learning Poser. eh. But then, I was still learning Studio..

... rambling ...
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Xaa said:

GRIM said:

I sincerely don't know what it is I am doing wrong.

And since I don't use studio at all (it will not run on my machine), I am at a loss for answers beyond this point.

At this point, the only remaining option I can see is to uninstall studio and just render in Poser.

Mmm.... that's the thing. The person who needs this uses Studio. Either way-it still doesn't work in Poser Pro-the broken mesh shot is my PP after using the inj. files. I'll try the PMD/cr2-inj tut and see if it works. There's a way-I've seen other Poser/Studio characters for sale using custom morphs, but the few I asked how they got the inj to work cross-production "couldn't help" me. *snort* I hate greedy (informationally) bast*ds. Thank you so much for trying!
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • *edit for double posting-oop* XD
  • GRIM said:

Mmm.... that's the thing. The person who needs this uses Studio. Either way-it still doesn't work in Poser Pro-the broken mesh shot is my PP after using the inj. files. I'll try the PMD/cr2-inj tut and see if it works. There's a way-I've seen other Poser/Studio characters for sale using custom morphs, but the few I asked how they got the inj to work cross-production "couldn't help" me. *snort* I hate greedy (informationally) bast*ds. Thank you so much for trying!

Aahh... Still, you should be able to make a Poser file and use it in Studio. If I remember right, it's only the Shaders that are real trouble. Am I wrong?

And I'm with you about that stupid secrecy. Either package it and direct people to for-pay tutorials or dish!!

*grump*
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Ok, Grim.i think I know how the cut up thing happens. It has to do with the scale dials and transform dials. Don't ask me how it happens. One thing I would suggest to you is when saving out the morph to your library ONLY tick the "save morph channels" not the body transformation one. All toy want are the morphs, not the information of where the figure is in poser space as she is in zero position anyways. This should also (fingers crossed) stop it from breaking up as the values responsible for the break up are excluded from the saved file.
  • Also, have a look in your python scripts there maybe some in there that allow you to make inj. files plus you may have a chance to strip out unrequited morphs which will make the files smaller and the lady less resource heavy to use. In fact, that is the reason why it makes sense to save things as fbm, I think.
  • Hey, Reat! Thank you! Here's what I've done. Same process as before, but without the body transformation option clicked. All unused morh dials deleted to keep the info from being added to the file, and the mesh didn't break as much-but her feet ballooned up 4x larger than the norm? Along with the torso twist and too much muscle detail...I'll have to double check the original saved file and see what I missed. There is a python script in the system, but it's to save the actual pose of the model-not the morph. Tried that several times, and Poser's Little helper. meh.
  • Hmmm...   Studied it carefully, but still not seeing why this isn't working.  I have V4, but I only use her for conversions, I don't have her morph packs and character packs and stuff.  I can run through the process of creating and saving a character with Posey, works fine.  In fact, I can run through everything you're doing (injecting poses & etc) and it all saves out fine.  And yes, my girl has injectable morphs. ;-)

In thinking about it, my guess at this point is you're having a conflict with V4's magnet system.  If you can repeat a similar process with M4 and it works, then this is the "why" part of the answer.  Unfortunately, the "how to fix it" part still eludes me.

I truly wish I could give you a better answer, but I am totally stumped, here.
  • New DT tutorial for Hexagon and D/S4 users: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases/classic-bikini/
  • Xaa said:

Hmmm...   Studied it carefully, but still not seeing why this isn't working.  I have V4, but I only use her for conversions, I don't have her morph packs and character packs and stuff.  I can run through the process of creating and saving a character with Posey, works fine.  In fact, I can run through everything you're doing (injecting poses & etc) and it all saves out fine.  And yes, my girl has injectable morphs. ;-)

In thinking about it, my guess at this point is you're having a conflict with V4's magnet system.  If you can repeat a similar process with M4 and it works, then this is the "why" part of the answer.  Unfortunately, the "how to fix it" part still eludes me.

I truly wish I could give you a better answer, but I am totally stumped, here.

After reading through a few things, I do remember ALL of the mangets being present, but deselected as I went through the process of saving the morph to the library. I wonder if selecting them would make them work? This isn't going to be for distribution but for a single use.

I have found a few things in regards to putting the .obj file into Blender and working from there to make the morph files. I'll check that out as well. I have Blender, and with the tutorials I hopefully should be able to do this. If not? *Shrug* I'll send the dialed morphs for the head/body and tell them not to pay me for it. If I can't deliver the entire project, I don't deserve the pay.

• GRIM said:

I wonder if selecting them would make them work?

Worth a shot.
  • I'll try that tonight- I took a break from the entire computer last night before I got disgusted enough to pitch it down a well or something. *Grin* I'll definitely post if it works, and how it worked, or if it didn't. FIgured everyone should have the intel just in case THEY want to do this sort of thing too.
  • Ok. I am waving the white flag.  So far, the only things I've been able to make are injection files for the dialed morphs from the sets for V4.  Not one custom morph in her face exported.

I now know how to make a great morph dial for Poser Pro in the scene (haven't figured out how to add it to the library, don't wanna know at this point), I know how to make the pz2 injection for the dialed morphs added to the library and work (the body transformation thing was what caused the breaks in the mesh- blasted magnets), and even have the dialed morph injection files from Poser to work in Studio.

The crux?  No custom morphs.  I've used Morph Loader, Inj Pose Builder, cr2Editor, I attempted PMD Injections, Poers Little Helper...  I'm tired.  I give.  I posted the question in the Poser section in RDNA.  I'm going to cp it into Smith Micro's boards.  Maybe I can get this figured out before my client tells me to walk off and lose out on a little bit of cash.

All this grief.  Hell.
  • I hope you get a workable solution. Good luck. It's clear that somebody knows the trick.
  • Thank you! Actually....I may have. I exported the fully morphed (dialed and custom) head as an obj. file from Poser Pro and closed PP. Opened up DS4P and imported the head obj file into there. Then I started up Morph Loader Pro, left the settings on default, and selected the head obj file as the morph to load. Hoghlighted the file in the list, and then saved That as the current project or dsx file. Then selected the project file I saved to add it to the list with the obj file and clicked on save to have the dial show up in the morp/pose tab under my V4 that I loaded after importing the heead obj into the scene. When I selected the V4 head-no inj morph sets used here.....the dial I made with MPP worked! I saved the scene to see if I can now export either the morph via PFE or the dial settings later- but I now have my custom morphs in DS! *YAAAAAAY*
  • GRIM said:

...but I now have my custom morphs in DS! *YAAAAAAY*

Congratulations. ;-)
  • Hot damn!
  • Let me tell you- it has been a struggle. Now that the dial works for the head, I may just make another for the body morph as well as add the PFE version of the body inj/rem file for the client. Neither version of the file types includes information that crosses copyright laws I believe, since the dial does not include the individual morph dials I used in the making of the final composite? I'm not including the morph sets, just the final result.

Even so, I am just glad I managed to get the blasted thing into Studio from Poser Pr, I was so frustrated on how it wasn't working!

I had a thought yesterday while in transit : now that I have the dial for the head in V4's morph list...Do I copy the folder path into the character Runtime file and copy the dial file that I managed to make so I can zip it together and unzip it to Studio 3 to see if everything works?

What I am thinking is when I purchased, say, Alice- she has dials that are added to the listing of V4's morphs. What I want to do is the same- have Milla's morph dials land in the menu along with the rest of V4's sets (Like Elite, ++, Base, ect).

That will be my next step. I'm going to go into my zip file of Alice's files and folders to see how they're put together and what I may be missing. *Shrug* Perhaps I'll get this figured out.

...perhaps I'll just make a V4, upload the morph sets I used for her for this, use the dials to make her come back while in Studio, use PFE to see if I can make the inj files that way?

Time will tell, so will testing.
  • >.> Wow. I can ramble. *GRIN*
  • Mah leetle haid asploded long ago from the morph issues.  image
  • Nanobot said:

Mah leetle haid asploded long ago from the morph issues.  image

*Snirk!* Good thing me haz duck (yes, duck. Haz duct tape, too!) tape an' staaaaple gunz! :D Does anyone want me to possibly write up the exact workflow for others to use for the boards on this issue? It will have to wait until I come back, but y'know me, I'd be more than happy to share the 'how to' of it all.
  • I'm just glad you found a way to make it work, GRIM.
  • Thanks Raet.  Well, the dial showed up in DS4P, but when I copied the files into the other Runtime and uploaded it, they don't show at all.  Even when I used the Morph Loader in DS3A, the thing just moves V4's head up and down and leaves the eyes and mouth in place.  Odd.

Since the client uses Studio, I stripped out all the textures on V4 and saved the file (oddly enough, THIS time she imported WITH the custom morphs along with the dialed morphs.  This is just getting odder and odder as I go along.) just in case they want to open it, inject the morph sets into it and work from there.

Still plugging away- now I wanna know how I'm supposed to get the dial to show up in the settings with the rest of the morph dials.  Aery Soul and Surreality did it, damn it, so can I.
  • @GRIM: PoserMagic has a new V4 character. Maby they can help you?
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/2822/
  • I'll check into it, thank you! :D I may just owe you a cookie for all the helpfulness!
  • I went over to her Rendo page and sent a message there- perhaps she will, perhaps she won't? I have been in contact with StudioArtVartanian (Jo as she's otherwise known!) and she's been graciously giving tips. I hope this works- the more time I spend on this the less time I have for our challenge!!
  • Haven't even made the pose for the challenge...got shanghied by a bunch o' trees...and that backpack!
  • Nanobot said:

Haven't even made the pose for the challenge...got shanghied by a bunch o' trees...and that backpack!

Blasted backpack! *FISTSHAKE!* I haven't had a chance to get anything else done but what I posted- though I do believe I have almost everything for it, I may have to work around the face mask thing. *Shrug* I'll fiddle when I can, but I leave after next weekend! There's so much to do next week. Oi. NE-VER. ENDS.

*snag, cling!* Save meh. *snirk*
  • Neither have I , Nano. But hey, ho, might still cobble something together. Last day of term tomorrow, after that it is the summer holidays.
  • Raetjor said:

Neither have I , Nano. But hey, ho, might still cobble something together. Last day of term tomorrow, after that it is the summer holidays.

Hurrah! Summer holiday! :D  Hey, this is not a super serious challenge, so we can cut ourselves some slack. ;)
  • Not serious? NOT SERIOUS????
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

Not serious? NOT SERIOUS????

No more serious than art usually is--which is simultaneously the Most Important Thing and Just for Fun.

No money's involved. Saving that for the "Persistence of Art" contest.  image
  • Nanobot said:

surochek said:

No more serious than art usually is--which is simultaneously the Most Important Thing and Just for Fun.

Ah. That kind of "not serious." I get that.

Real Work, in other words. Everything else is just a job.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

Nanobot said:

surochek said:

Ah. That kind of "not serious." I get that.

Real Work, in other words. Everything else is just a job.

*hee* Yep!
  • I am...officially...a blithering idiot.  :D 

With the help of a gracious vendor (posermagic, in fact) I had a glaring error pointed out to me as we did a walk trough of my actual workflow.  I was saving the morph as a pose...in the POSE section of my Poser Pro Library and making pz2's rather than in the CHARACTER section making cr2's.  One little oversight, a week long migraine. 

When that was figured out, I was able to get InjectionMagic to work right fine after downloading the add on V4.2 file from ShareCG. 

However........Now after making sure the 'to go' runtime folder was set up properly, including the Morphs file along with the Pose file where the INJ/REM pz2's went, zipping it all and unzipping it in my external Runtime I did a test in Studio.

The morph worked!  The body morph was fine, that wasn't an issue.....until now.  I do believe I selected "Adjust Vertexes" or something like that when making the Morph Target in Poser Pro and I wonder if that is why I'm now getting this kink in her neck?  The morph was for her head only, so this is why I'm assuming that this can be the issue.  That, or it's my system.
    Warping vertexes.JPG
    1284 x 1000 - 137K
  • GRIM said:

I was saving the morph as a pose...in the POSE section of my Poser Pro Library and making pz2's rather than in the CHARACTER section making cr2's.  One little oversight, a week long migraine.

LOL!

What makes it worse is that's exactly what I said to do when you first asked.

Xaa said:

The morph brush window has a button to save what you have created as a morph. Use this. Once done and you have all the other morphs set the way you want, save the whole thing as an FBM, save the completed character to the library, and export.

Then, when you said "That isn't working", I was completely at a loss as for why. ;-)

Ah, well, live and learn, I guess. :)
  • GRIM said:

The morph was for her head only, so this is why I'm assuming that this can be the issue. 

Yes, it's the morph. When you adjusted her head using the morph-brush (and probably other tweaks), this moved the verts near her neck. This is why you have to save the morph-brush work out as a morph using the button on the rollout for the morph-brush, then save the whole thing as an FBM, then save the character to the library. This way, you catch neighboring groups that were affected by the morph brush (and other tweaks) but otherwise aren't noticed. =)

I deal with that issue all the time when I'm doing morphs, and frequently when I'm doing head morphs, I end up noticing I didn't remember to account for the neck and have to do it again. :P
  • *Snirk*  See, when you asked, I THOUGHT I was reading it the way I put it and absolutely frustrated myself to hell.  I seriously thought I was saving into the Character library.  Just..ugh.

Hnn.  Well.  I have the full body obj file saved already, I'll see if that helps by making the FBM rather than the head alone.  It's not a big thing to re-save everything, now that I know HOW.  >.>  It just sucks since all I morphed was her nose bridge, nostrils and the crease between her chin and mouth.  If I have to do it again, it shouldn't take too long, but here's hoping if I do the FBM with the saved full obj file it won't have that issue.

Time for bed- it's one here!  O.O  I hadn't realized.  Thanks again for all your help Jim- even if I'm a blithering idiot.  :D
  • GRIM said:

I have the full body obj file saved already, I'll see if that helps by making the FBM rather than the head alone.

If you have PP2012, it's a snap.  PP2012 allows you to import an FBM straight from a full-figure OBJ export.  This allows you to (for example) drag Vickie into Zbrush, morph the crap out her, then export the obj.  Load up original vickie, click figure>load full body morph, point it at the morphed OBJ, and -SHAZAM!- done.

Muuuuuuch easier than how I had to do it in P7 to get the same result.  Importing one goddamn body part at a time was more tedium than even I am capable of putting up with.
  • I have 2010, but the instructions were the same, I believe! I shall SHAZAM! away to night!
  • Moving the whole cyber/steam backpack thing over here.

I think I'm ready to start grouping. But not now. Now, dinner & pay attention to the sweetie.

7-8-2012 8-47-15 PM.jpg
    593 x 794 - 228K
  • ...fantastic work, doll! This has turned out to be one heck of a project! Can't wait to get back and work on mine again. reeeeeeeeeeally diggin' that pack/belt combo!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!