3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Welcome to the (Concrete) Jungle
  • Glad to see people are signing up! Good to have you here. And welcome!
  • I think the hand holes bother me the most. The other thing that bothers me is that I'm up at nearly 3 a.m. looking at it!
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Morning! And welcome to the newcomers. Nice to have you with us.
  • Portable Sensory deprivation with porthole for optional thumb sucking?

LOL!

You have, as usual, nailed it. *snerk*
  • We have another fresh face! When Leander signs in, y'all say hello! *waves in anticipation*
  • DAY SHIFT! What's going on today?
  • Nice and sunny here. Was curling up and basking in it for a spell. Not sure what the rest of the day holds yet. :)
  • I should be doing something...
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Me, I'm working on my this interminable re-write, having gotten to a really old bit of text. Man, this is not easy, keeping all the threads together and moving in a new direction.
  • And the cloth sim I had set up day before last seems to have gotten corrupted. Back to the drawing board. >_<
  • Also: Assam Golden Rain tea. Which sounds sort of dirty, but it's not.
  • And a big welcome to Stuart/RenderScot when he gets here! Yay!
  • I just came back from a baby shower. Was surprised since it was one of the doctors I work with. Pleasantly surprised that she took the time to invite me, :) 
    Now I'm trying to thaw out... it is literally FRIGID outside and I made the stupid mistake of attempting to wait for the bus for 10 minutes. Way too cold. *brrrr*

Hi, everyone! How's your day so far?
  • LT and Nan - So Amazon's pretty safe, huh. Good to know! I'll keep an eye for PP2012 then.

MLB - I am dying to try the light emitters. I bet my blue eyed boy (Daren) would look great with some actually glowing eyes.
  • Hmm, nice to see stuff for Anastasia, though I haven't bought her yet. I'm toying with a render now; I'll post a WIP later. :D

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! :D

• *waves* Hello everyone! Long time no see! ^_^

I love the new board, and I'm so happy to be here! *starts baking cookies for everyone*

I'm getting back into rendering now, after my muse decided to hibernate for a long time. So I can treat you all, to my humble, crayon drawings. *giggle*

Oh and Nano? I swear to you, that I will lay off the blur filters.....this time. ^_~

It's so good to be here!

• Hey Valis, good to have you here.
  • Valis44 said:

Oh and Nano? I swear to you, that I will lay off the blur filters.....this time. ^_~

Promises, promises. *hugs and cookie-snatch*
  • Apropos of nothing...formatting a volume on a 2 TB hard drive takes a LONG time...but I have my fingers crossed that this new Synology NAS enclosure will work out. Please, oh divine Computa, goddess of electronics!
  • Cookies! *om nom nom*

Anyone got any hot tea, or apple cider? I'm freezing....

• Says a prayer for nano's NAS

< waves to everybody showing up here >

• Hi guys!
    (Waiting to see who else shows up.) :)
  • Heloooo!

*waves*

Woah, the whole gang is almost here. ^_^

*starts backing cupcakes*

• Cookies! *om nom nom*

Anyone got any hot tea, or apple cider? I'm freezing....

/tea

• Says a prayer for nano's NAS

< waves to everybody showing up here >

Thank you, thank you.
  • Hoping things work out for you this time, Nan.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Tea! Yum! Thankies much, Nan, :)

*Turns out I actually do have some tea upstairs so I shall go warm up now.

Best of luck with your drive, Nan.
  • Xaa said:

Hoping things work out for you this time, Nan.

Yes, me too. I'm hoping that with Jim's and Fennie's issues finally resolving, that maybe mine would too. Maybe. Touch wood.
  • Nanobot said:

Valis44 said:

Promises, promises. *hugs and cookie-snatch*

*hugs back* 

This is a really nice board! I'm so happy to be back in a rendering community again.

The Daz board was getting...well....let's just say despite my love of the program, I hold no love for Genesis....

...none at all. >_<

*also group hugs with D3 and M4*

• Things were getting pretty negative over there too. That's partially why we wanted to open our space. No one here to say 'you can't talk about that' or chastising us for having an opinion (though we do ask you to *try* to keep it civil, at least with each other! lol) 

No affiliations with any programs here, either. Just a place to do art, tell stories and chat while doing it. Hopefully, we'll learn something from each other along the way. :D
  • PS. More people have been invited. Just waiting for them to show up. ;)
  • Good Evening. Question to Mr GOM( but everybody is welcome to help me out of my ignorance): if you want to create a facial scar that is old and behaves more like a deep slash, would you make a morph target for that or do it with the texture? If the latter, would you have to use a grey scaled disp map rather than black and white? ( I.e. in poser most displacement maps are mainly black to indicate the a sense of displacement. in this case the area of the scar is supposed to go inwards, while veins and so on stay proud of the face surface.)
  • Raetjor said:

Good Evening. Question to Mr GOM( but everybody is welcome to help me out of my ignorance): if you want to create a facial scar that is old and behaves more like a deep slash, would you make a morph target for that or do it with the texture? If the latter, would you have to use a grey scaled disp map rather than black and white? ( I.e. in poser most displacement maps are mainly black to indicate the a sense of displacement. in this case the area of the scar is supposed to go inwards, while veins and so on stay proud of the face surface.)

I'd do it with a texture, a morph target will be limited by geometry.  Use a displacement map to get the appearance the way you want.

Oh - and very old slashes usually don't poke inwards much, they usually point outwards.  After a decade or two, fat cells move in beneath, and scar tissue has fully formed.
  • Example:

• I'm looking at a long surgical scar on my left knee that I've had for 36 years. It doesn't poke in at all. It is actually a very shallow bump running down the inner side of my knee. (I got to spend the first half of Christmas vacation that year in the hospital. Got to go home Christmas eve. Not a fun holiday for a 13 year old)
  • The picture above is what's called a hypertrophic scar, because it's had plenty of time to build up collagen and rise from the skin surface.  Scars that go inwards are called atrophic scars, and they're usually caused because the site of the wound became badly infected, and the layers of skin beneath the surface experienced further damage, preventing fat cells from moving in.  They're actually somewhat rare nowadays, as we have antibiotics.  In the Bad Old Days before antibiotics, however, their commonality depended upon where you were injured, and what wound treatment method was used (if any).   Hollywood has made them appear very common, because there's a product called Rigid Colloidium™ that's used to make "pucker" scars by painting a chemical on the skin.  When it dries, it draws the skin inwards, making it look like a scar.  Example:

Though that looks real, it's not - it's makeup called Rigid Colloidium™.  Generally speaking, this kind of scar is rather rare prior to the 19th century, as most people who got wounds that became that badly infected simply died of gangrene.

The third major type of scar is called keloid scars.  The darker your skin, the more likely you are to get them when you have an injury.  A keloid scar is one that is formed mostly out of keloid tissue - they're darker than the surrounding skin, and raised up like a welt.  And, as the years pass, they get bigger (both wider and longer), darker, and more raised from the skin, often developing small benign nodules you can feel when you press on them.
    A surgical keloid scar.  It's raised up quite a bit from the skin, and spread wider and longer than the original wound.  And, as this person gets older, it will only get darker, wider, longer and bigger.
  • So, the bottom line: 

1) I recommend a displacement map.
    2) Though there are old scars that are concave, most are convex, or simply flat to the surface of the skin.
  • Oh, oh! *takes notes* I actually want to add a scar to one of my characters too. So, displacement map. Got it. Is there a best way to "paint" the scar itself or are there brushes, pngs, etc that can be used?
  • Wow..I'm gone for the weekend and lookit all the new stuff/people!  *Waves!!*  I have used displacements for scars as well, and I try to make sure to keep the skin map on a low fill or Opacity level in PS when I make them so I can keep the coloration and the depth correct.

I was trying out a dark scene in Carrara, but after two days the file got corrupted in mid-render.  *Sigh* It's a precursor scene that will involve Ty and Jensen in the middle of a 'situation'.  Hopefully.

*Snags, steals hugs!* BUT- it's after midnight, and I'm up at five am for work tomorrow.  Time for me to zombie shuffle to bed, I think.  *Salute!* Night all!
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Oh, oh! *takes notes* I actually want to add a scar to one of my characters too. So, displacement map. Got it. Is there a best way to "paint" the scar itself or are there brushes, pngs, etc that can be used?

That part, I can't help with, I'm not great at making textures.
  • Displacement is normally the best way to go. I do all of mine with a grey scale map. Morphing normally doesn't have the mesh density to get what you really want. You can do it to some extent on the face (Like I did on this one http://www-cache.daz3d.com/store/item_file/10025/popup_5.jpg ) but you have to combine with with displacement. In this case, displacement wouldn't have been enough.

And as Xaa said, there are a lot of different types of scars. The Keloid scars typically happen more on people of African decent than on Caucasian.
  • {{ To anyone watching: Someone with an email of dylazuna@onvol.net tried to apply here but the email has bounced back to me as undeliverable. Please whitelist cooltuna.com or use another address if possible. }}
  • I believe that is Darkothe. I will check when I get home.
  • Oh! Keen. I didn't recognize it, so I worried.
  • That's an interesting email- I googled it. XD
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Oh, tsk.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!