3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Welcome to the (Concrete) Jungle
  • I PM'd Darkothe over at DAZ, just in case your message here is not seen. :)
  • Thank you, hon. I'm not following through well today.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Blegh. One of those days. BLEGH!
  • I declare today a "Mental Vacation Day"

There, now everyone is off the hook for any weirdness and what ever. d(^^d)

*snicker*
    My "One of those days" was early this morning at work. We ran out of cash. Had to tell 6 people wanting to cash their payroll checks that they'd have to come back in an hour or so. Our bookkeeper needed to go over to the bank after it opened and buy some cash.

Can't do that. Although I did work in tiny increments for safety's sake. But I'm teaching tomorrow, so I have classes to prepare for.

Ack! Grammar! Double-ack! My students can't write Cyrillic properly! (ie, in SCRIPT)
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Very noir pulp! I like.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
  • Meh- even if they do end up getting Gen into Poser, I don't want it. I don't like the mesh, I don't like the system, I don't want to spend my hard earned money on crap that I see as so-so at best. *flop.........and goes to read because he's a nosy b*stid anyways.*
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • GRIM said:

Meh- even if they do end up getting Gen into Poser, I don't want it. I don't like the mesh, I don't like the system, I don't want to spend my hard earned money on crap that I see as so-so at best. *flop.........and goes to read because he's a nosy b*stid anyways.*

They're not going to do it. Steve Cooper said:

"If a technology can't provide an open system for the creation and distribution of Poser content throughout the whole Poser ecosystem, then we can't chose to support it. Genesis is very interesting but at this point in time we don't see it as an open or mature, stable system, and we will not provide direct support for it in Poser."
  • Good. *Grin, leeeeeeeeeansheadflop* Every time I see the model I cringe. It was creepy to begin with. *shrug* That, and the amount of money they want for all the morphs ALONE staggers me.
    *pokepokepokepokepoke!*
    Hi. :D
  • *Ahem* Yes, well. ;)  Confirmed Poser user, here, 'nuff said.

Oh, hai, Luxrender for Poser? Yes. Hrm, will have to play with this, since it's still going.

http://www.pose2lux.com/
  • Good riddance on Genesis. And I actually feel the same way about LuxRender. It's lovely for landscapes and still lifes, but I can count on one hand the number of renders involving skin in Lux that I thought looked good. :/
  • Haven't seen any Poser/Luxrender work with figures, really. And to tell you the truth, if I want beautiful landscapes, I'll use Vue, thanks. Besides, you have to re-shader  to some degree for every render engine you use. It's such a pain.

And, oh hai, there's SkinVue! Well, that's settled. *tosses Luxrender back into the Internet*
  • Meantime, how's everyone doing today??
  • *RIP!!!! THERE GOES THE PHONE!*

.............*seethe*
  • Nanobot said:

"Genesis is very interesting but at this point in time we don't see it as an open or mature, stable system, and we will not provide direct support for it in Poser."

Which is exactly what I said would happen back when Genesis first came out, and everyone - including Dan Farr when I told him in e-mail - blew me off. 

Ah, well.

The bottom line is that it's not in SM's best financial interests to support Genesis.  To the contrary, it's in their best interests to let DAZ sink or swim on their own, doing their own coding-work to make the figure work in Poser9/Pro2012. 

Why? 

Well, if DAZ successfully makes Genesis compatible with Poser, SM wins because Poser becomes even more versatile with an even broader array of support, and they make even more sales.  Conversely, if DAZ fails to do so, SM still wins because DAZ eventually folds without the Poser users (that's half their market that's stopped buying their new Vickie-doll because they can't use it), and all the Studio users eventually have to switch to Poser, so they make even more sales.  In short, it's a Win-Win for SM if they do nothing.

Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Sorry for the extended absence.  Life's been kinda busy/inconvenient lately and I've been getting backhanded by whatever it is that's been going around locally over and over again.  >.<

For those of you who keep track of this sort of thing, I've rescued my freebie compendiums from the Daz Forums to our forums here in the new resources section.  I'll be keeping them updated here as best I can.
  • Wayii said:

Sorry for the extended absence.  Life's been kinda busy/inconvenient lately and I've been getting backhanded by whatever it is that's been going around locally over and over again.  >.<

For those of you who keep track of this sort of thing, I've rescued my freebie compendiums from the Daz Forums to our forums here in the new resources section.  I'll be keeping them updated here as best I can.

Missed you! But I figured you had a reason for the vanishment.
  • Well, the owners over at DAZ likely blew off all sorts of people warning them that they were de-constructing the sky, as it were.  And hey, it's a non-issue. Now we have THREE ways to rig figures: Sphere zones, weigh maps, and hybrid--if I understand correctly.  Our choice. Nobody's *making* anyone choose one over the other.

I mean, the philosophy of keeping content development wide open so that the larger community can work with it is sound, both in business and just in a way of keeping things rolling.
  • Also, weight-mapped rigging seems to be using the morph brush, basically. Did I post that link on the subject?
  • GRIM said:

*RIP!!!! THERE GOES THE PHONE!*

.............*seethe*

Uh oh!  *watches phone arcing high across the Atlantic Ocean*
  • Nanobot said:

GRIM said:

*RIP!!!! THERE GOES THE PHONE!*

.............*seethe*

Uh oh!  *watches phone arcing high across the Atlantic Ocean*

Good f'n riddance. *grouse, growl, seethe!!* ..........wait....what link? O.o

• *Re. Nan's link* 

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting. I wonder if the folks over *there* know about that post? I say well then good for SM and I agree with Jim. They win either way. I'm happy with my little old Gen4s and will be happier once I get them weightmapped. It's all good. 

*ponders whether to post that link over there*

GRIM - Oh noes! What happened to the phone? I think I just heard it splash down.
  • Oh- THAT link. :D I had two seconds to peer at it before all hell broke loose. Somehow Verizon decided to sever a few lines on 'accident' and resulted in one of our sister companies to re-route the incoming calls (mind you---ALL OF THEM, no matter the # )into our department. Upon re-routing.... every time the phone rang, ALL of the phones rang. Now, imagine if you will...

Close to 70 phones are on about 70 desks in this department alone. Every phone has at least three lines that are inbound ready. Each is associated with one different number- one direct, one 800, and one general.

So when one call comes in, all the phones ring. At the same time. Until someone picks it up. Not such a bad thing- until you figure that for this company we average on a daily basis close to 1000 calls a day department wide.

Imagine that.
  • *Ooooooooooooooooooooooouch!* Holy cow.... one phone ringing in my unit drives me batty, I cannot imagine 70. With three lines each. ALL. AT THE SAME. TIME. 

*cringes*
  • *boggle-blargle*
    Ick. I hope the phone situation gets sorted out quickly.
  • OMG, phones. I worked in a *small* company, where I participated in help desk--ALL the phones rang when incoming calls came, and for the longest time we had NO designated official help-reception person. Everybody would answer. Every five minutes. And I still had other work to do.

I could not think straight at the end of the days. Two years of this. Yeah, I feel ya, hon.
  • All of the phones ring at my work place too. Usually the checker at register one has to answer it and then get on the PA to announce which dept or person has a call on either line 1 or line 2. Or announce that customer so-and-so has a call at register 1.
  • GRIM said:

Oh- THAT link. :D I had two seconds to peer at it before all hell broke loose. Somehow Verizon decided to sever a few lines on 'accident' and resulted in one of our sister companies to re-route the incoming calls (mind you---ALL OF THEM, no matter the # )into our department. Upon re-routing.... every time the phone rang, ALL of the phones rang. Now, imagine if you will...

Close to 70 phones are on about 70 desks in this department alone. Every phone has at least three lines that are inbound ready. Each is associated with one different number- one direct, one 800, and one general.

So when one call comes in, all the phones ring. At the same time. Until someone picks it up. Not such a bad thing- until you figure that for this company we average on a daily basis close to 1000 calls a day department wide.

Imagine that.

Yikes.  I hit the roof if just one phone rings, I do not like them.  
  • Oh my, did you notice?  SM has a live help chat now.
  • Oh my, did you notice?  SM has a live help chat now.

Yah, they're expanding their help system, and apparently hiring more people.

Whodathunkit? ;-)

• GRIM said:

Oh- THAT link. :D I had two seconds to peer at it before all hell broke loose. Somehow Verizon decided to sever a few lines on 'accident' and resulted in one of our sister companies to re-route the incoming calls (mind you---ALL OF THEM, no matter the # )into our department. Upon re-routing.... every time the phone rang, ALL of the phones rang. Now, imagine if you will...

Imagine that.

Holy crud man. If that happened at my work I'd be all about "kill it with fire".

It's amazing how troublesome and clumsy modern communications technology really is.
  • Meanwhile...

Let's say "welcome!" to EustaceScrubb and evilgidget when they arrive! Two more refugees...!
  • Nanobot said:

Meanwhile...

Let's say "welcome!" to EustaceScrubb and evilgidget when they arrive! Two more refugees...!

Rock on.  =^_^=

• Hi guys. :)
  • Whew, shelter from the storm!  :)  Hi, all.
  • I don't know how many will find this useful but... http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=181566&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
    If it's a real offer and they arn't just slumming it could be.
  • Hi, EG!

/huggles

You going to found a Nursoda art thread?  :D :D :D
  • Whew, shelter from the storm!  :)  Hi, all.

/hands EG an umbrella
  • lol, thanks  I need it, been wandering in the wilderness for months now.

@wayii, no telling with me, I tend to be all over the place, I mainly happened to spot that you had posted about the movement of the compendiums and wanted to bump it as it was already down to page two.
  • Terre said:

I don't know how many will find this useful but... http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=181566&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
    If it's a real offer and they arn't just slumming it could be.

http://www.3dlibrary.fr/ is the link referred to in that post on DAZ. To save y'all some time.

EDIT - OK, those are EXPENSIVE. But we have the link and hey, our search engine WORKS.
  • lol, thanks  I need it, been wandering in the wilderness for months now.

@wayii, no telling with me, I tend to be all over the place, I mainly happened to spot that you had posted about the movement of the compendiums and wanted to bump it as it was already down to page two.

Woohoo! You're here! :D  Yeah, we haz the Wayii and her compendiums! And peace and quiet, as much of it as you want.

Or romp...
  • Y'all can't see this, which is good. We don't want people sent to the emergency room with bleeding eyes...but I am doing happy dances at the good start we're making here. MOST satisfying.

Carry on.
  • *romp romp romp*

(too brain-dead to think yet... need more recovery from the teaching)

*throws toy for puppy*

*romp romp romp*

*plop... crash* /wine
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Yep. I'm doing the same. Dain brammage.

/vodka

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!