3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Welcome to the (Concrete) Jungle
  • Oh dear.

My "muse" goes on vacation. >B|

My-muse/inspiration/creativity-has-left-me.

I'm going to go listen to the zen channel, light some incense and try again in the morning. Love you all <3.

In addition to hayfever, several of us are admitting to Artistic Congestion. Want to artify but either can get it out or it gets up and goes before we get to the desktop...Arrgh. Must be the season. Pass the nasal spray.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Nanobot said:

Oh dear.

My "muse" goes on vacation. >B|

My-muse/inspiration/creativity-has-left-me.

I'm going to go listen to the zen channel, light some incense and try again in the morning. Love you all <3.

In addition to hayfever, several of us are admitting to Artistic Congestion. Want to artify but either can get it out or it gets up and goes before we get to the desktop...Arrgh. Must be the season. Pass the nasal spray.

Oh, so I caught it from one of you guys, did I?!  /grumblegrumblefussfuss

XD Ah, well. I'll have to agree with you..It must be the season.
    ladyfur: 'in your easter bonnet, with mandrakes all upon it, you'll be the faeriest fella in the easter parade...'
  • This forum is wonderful, a learning experience, amazing for sharing good and not so good moments...

But there's this thing, too. cyberepidemics. Yeah. Can't all be perfect, eh?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • In addition to hayfever, several of us are admitting to Artistic Congestion. Want to artify but either can get it out or it gets up and goes before we get to the desktop...Arrgh.

Work on something anyway.

An important part of artistic productivity is to be able to make your muse work for you, not the other way around.  Crank out something, even if it sucks and you don't post it.  Keep working.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Xaa said:

In addition to hayfever, several of us are admitting to Artistic Congestion. Want to artify but either can get it out or it gets up and goes before we get to the desktop...Arrgh.

Work on something anyway.

An important part of artistic productivity is to be able to make your muse work for you, not the other way around.  Crank out something, even if it sucks and you don't post it.  Keep working.

Couldn't have said it better. That's the idea--work anyhow. So what if it's crap? It's practice. Inspiration can be summoned by effort.

I just don't show my intermediate products because they wouldn't make sense--half or more of them is still in my head.
  • I can't say how much Crap I have on my HD staring at me as if to scream FIX ME. Or YOU CAN DO BETTER. Out of every render I post, WIP or finished, there's at least six to nine others that have been deleted or stored for later study to see where it went wrong. *Grin* I'm right with Nanola on that "in my head" thing...which is why so much of my rendering comes out funky or an Epoc Phail; the translations don't always work.

Still, I try to keep going. Even if it's just to tweak a light setting before going to bed. Do something. Sketch if I can. Anything. Lunch, break, during bus/train/cab rides. Napkisn, papertowels, tickets...occasionally menus. >.>
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Yes, exactly.

That image I did yesterday of the nude girl on the beach?

That's where it came from.  Just doodling to keep the muse working for me, rather than the other way around.
  • This color converter might be of interest to some: http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=14195

• Xaa said:

Yes, exactly.

That's where it came from.  Just doodling to keep the muse working for me, rather than the other way around.

And not only for visual arts. I also try to write a bit every day, too.  And hey, that's what this forum's here for--to help each other feel like practicing when we don't, and enjoying it when we do.

• Nanobot said:

Xaa said:

Yes, exactly.

And not only for visual arts. I also try to write a bit every day, too.  And hey, that's what this forum's here for--to help each other feel like practicing when we don't, and enjoying it when we do.

My initial reaction is to that is to NOT do anything at all. I dislike the feeling -having- to force the creativity. I push myself to do what I don't want to do in every other aspect of my daily life, I use Poser and rendering to take a break from all that. I mean, I totally understand what you two are taking about though. Maybe I'm on the other end of that spectrum. You talk of working until the ideas come and I only work when I have ideas, heh.
    ladyfur: 'in your easter bonnet, with mandrakes all upon it, you'll be the faeriest fella in the easter parade...'

• Nanobot said:

Xaa said:

Yes, exactly.

My initial reaction is to that is to NOT do anything at all. I dislike the feeling -having- to force the creativity. I push myself to do what I don't want to do in every other aspect of my daily life, I use Poser and rendering to take a break from all that. I mean, I totally understand what you two are taking about though. Maybe I'm on the other end of that spectrum. You talk of working until the ideas come and I only work when I have ideas, heh.

Heh. Mine is more of an obession? Compulsion? I'm in meetings and I'm sketching on the bottom portion of the charts/files in front me. I'm on the bus and I try to eek out a hand, or a partial face, or some texture I spied onto whatever paper I have in my pocket, messenger bag, backpack, fast food box. I photograph everything. Trees, trunks, brick walls, cement floors, tile, sand, shadows...I have photos of CHEWED GUM. >.< I can't stop. I see something, I want to know what it feels like, how does it move if it does, how the shadows dance on it and why do they warp that way?

It's not just the 3D that has me this way, it's been this way since I was...well..since I can remember. I didn't always put things down, photograph or sketch things, ect- but the questions were Always there and usually asked. My poor teachers. *Smirk*

Now? I'm in the middle of a conference and the wandering thought of if layered a few different textures within Photoshop, erase here, burn there, change the opacity and work some different colors I could probably repeat the texture of the empty swival chair across the table in front of me. It happens. All the time. Different subjects, different moments, but it's constant.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.

• Nanobot said:

Xaa said:

Yes, exactly.

Heh. Mine is more of an obession? Compulsion? I'm in meetings and I'm sketching on the bottom portion of the charts/files in front me. I'm on the bus and I try to eek out a hand, or a partial face, or some texture I spied onto whatever paper I have in my pocket, messenger bag, backpack, fast food box. I photograph everything. Trees, trunks, brick walls, cement floors, tile, sand, shadows...I have photos of CHEWED GUM. >.< I can't stop. I see something, I want to know what it feels like, how does it move if it does, how the shadows dance on it and why do they warp that way?

It's not just the 3D that has me this way, it's been this way since I was...well..since I can remember. I didn't always put things down, photograph or sketch things, ect- but the questions were Always there and usually asked. My poor teachers. *Smirk*

Now? I'm in the middle of a conference and the wandering thought of if layered a few different textures within Photoshop, erase here, burn there, change the opacity and work some different colors I could probably repeat the texture of the empty swival chair across the table in front of me. It happens. All the time. Different subjects, different moments, but it's constant.

OH! YES! I'm there with you. I've turned in many a assignment with drawings scribbled on them. When the urge hit me it HITS me and I have to do something right then and there because I fear I may loose it; it might slip away and a potential masterpiece will be lost because I didn't heed the feeling. I love the human body and the curve of a hip will set me off and I have to recreate it either with drawings or in a render. 
  • For me, art is not optional--I'm not quite out there with Grimmy, but I observe constantly. I take pictures of things. I learned how to 3d-model all in my head and have played with problems of that sort (the polygonal variety) just mentally. I don't commit things to paper as consistently--if I draw it, it's done and I generally don't go back. Yeah, that's weird.

All I can say is that from observation of artists I admired, that the ones that actually got somewhere with their art would do *something* everyday, even if it wasn't massively inspired. Do not be afraid to plod or doodle.

Maybe the trick is to be inspired by smaller things. Like the shape of elbows on a child, or the way a leaf bends, or the way sunlight shines through flower petals or on dust, or the way hair grows on an eyebrow. Or the way light slides on hair. Or trying to figure out how to make a copy of Union Station out of a cube! LOL
  • XD! 

I get what you're saying and, no, it's not optional. Art has never been optional, but I struggle with the process of seeing and doing.  I have friends that never loose their muse, they can create at the drop of a hat and I feel...well I feel inadequate and odd because SO many can do just that. Maybe I need to hop on that boat and try to render something everyday to keep the creative juices a flowin' ><"""

• I have friends that never loose their muse, they can create at the drop of a hat and I feel...well I feel inadequate and odd because SO many can do just that. Maybe I need to hop on that boat and try to render something everyday to keep the creative juices a flowin'.

Yes.

Most people I have met who say "I can't create, my muse has left me" are those who don't create until inspiration hits. But take a look at the daily routine for people who create professionally, like artists who work for ad agencies and so on... Well, these people don't have the luxury of waiting for inspiriation to strike, they get projects and deadlines. So, they do something every day, whether they have a project on the boards or not. They can't afford a dry-spell of inspiration, they'd be out on their ear and replaced with someone fresh out of art school who's desperate for a job where they won't be flippin' burgers with their art degree as a spatula.

So, yes - create something every day.  It doesn't have to be a masterpiece, or even anything you'd show anyone else.  But you need to create every day, so that you train your muse to serve you, rather than the other way around.
  • The truly sad part is is that I -was- creating something everyday and then someone close to me said it was too much. As I said I love the human figure. I can render people ALL day and they said I needed to focus on scenes rather than just people. It really stumped and my entire creative process suffered for it. So when I got the urge to do something I had to rethink it to make an entire cohesive scene. 

...I uh, I feel a weight falling from my shoulder and I'm...kind of crying right now because I just figured out why I lost my inspiration to begin with. I stifled myself. I was trying to please the masses when it was me I needed to make happy. Yep, that was it...there are the tears.

Seriously, thank you all -so- much for your commentary. I know it wasn't JUST for me, but I'm going to pretend it is anyways. :'D
  • {{{hugs}}}

• Oh, darlin', I've had that moment, too. When you try too hard to edit before doing? Nothing comes out. With writing, drawing, building stuff...

I recall the moment I realized this vividly: I was driving and I realized that I needed to (symbolically) take my Huge Purple Crayon in hand--I actually had a big blow-up Crayola, too!--and give the Universal Audience the middle finger. I got mad! I still tell "them" to fuck off, I'm gonna do this my way.

Oh, and having been a commercial artist and graphic designer--and still am to some degree--no, I never had the luxury of waiting until inspiration hits. You learn to work through the dry spells in various devious ways.

As Lois McMaster Bujold describes in her Miles Vorkosigan series, it's a game of "Wall." Life throws up a big farkin' wall between you and your goal, and you have to get past it some how. Go over, dig under, pay someone to remove it, use a stick of dynamite. Whatever it takes, you do it.

I'm very pragmatic about the execution of art. I could give a shit about mediums and "purity" of execution. Get It Done. Any way you can.

See? Anger can be very useful.
  • I find that having to do the commissions is oddly liberating precisely because you don't have the luxury to either wait for inspiration or do it the way you want. You have an order for something specific, or even more specific -- and you do it. It's harder to keep working on something that's just for yourself and no one's badgering you about it.

Even so, "not a day without a line" [of writing] is a good thing to live by -- whether an actual line of writing, or a sketch, or an aborted render. At least you work on a pose, you study a lighting effect, and you end up discarding an experiment: that's work, too.

I groused yesterday that I opened Poser 20 times and didn't do a single keep-able render (but I did do taxes). However, I kept thinking about the failed renders and how to solve the problems, so it wasn't actually a waste of time. In hindsight.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • So when I got the urge to do something I had to rethink it to make an entire cohesive scene.

I feel it's good in general to reach beyond your "comfort zone" when doing art, try new things, etc.  The friend who advised you probably meant well, but clearly this did not help you at all.  You don't need to make EVERY image a cohesive scene.  But, by the same token, a character by themselves with nothing in the background does not challenge you much, artistically.

A lot of what I do, I don't bother to post, because it falls well within the "comfort zone" of what I've already done before thousands of times.  I mean, once I've posted a couple hundred pictures of my modded Posette naked, let's face it, everyone has seen her, I'm not breaking any new ground technically or artistically.  This doesn't mean I stop doing it, it just means I don't bother to go "Hey, look, folks, I made another picture of Posey naked!  Wheeee!"  Because, you know, I don't want people to get bored with seeing her, and go "Yay, it's Posette, she's naked.  Yawn.  Seen it."

This is not to say that you can't produce an entire body of work that focuses on one or just a few models.  Rosetti focused the vast and overwhelming majority of his work on just three women as models, Alexa Wilding, Fanny Cornforth (who became his mistress) and Jane Morris (married to the painter William Morris, she had a long and rather complicated affair with Rosetti during the summers while her husband was away visiting Iceland to record the Icelandic sagas).  Yet, in every image, we see that Rosetti continually was stretching his boundaries as an artist, painting intricate backgrounds, hundreds of delicate folds and drapes in clothing, and hair so detailed you can nearly make out every strand.

Often what I do is challenge myself to recreate various scenes or artistic styles I find using my own characters.  Pinups are (of course) the main area I do this in.  I start with a famous pinup, and try to do it in Poser using my girl.  Most people, unfortunately, find this boring in the extreme, but I have found that the best way to learn how to get the most out of Poser is to have a specific, unaltering image in mind, then learn how to tweak the program and the models to give you precisely what you want.  In this way, I've mastered several techniques that many people just won't even try - like using the morph brush.  You'd be astounded how many people have told me "Oh, that's too hard" when discussing it with me, and yet I find it one of the easiest poser tools to use.

The bottom line is that you progress more as an artist by stretching your boundaries and doing different things than you do just doing the same thing over and over.  So, though your friend's advice was clearly very poorly phrased, it is still sound advice to "think outside the box", and look into creating images that challenge your abilities.
  • And the phrasing and the timing of advice is often just as important as the content of it!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

And the phrasing and the timing of advice is often just as important as the content of it!

Certainly the wrong thing said and the wrong time can throw a huge spanner into the works!

And while we were discussing this, I actually managed to set a final render going. :D   So, render overnight, postwork tomorrow night, and done...maybe tomorrow.
  • Terre said:

{{{hugs}}}

(/'3')/  /hugs

Thanks and I'm feeling far more confidant than I did lastnight. Thanks to you all for knocking the sense back into me. 

• The truly sad part is is that I -was- creating something everyday and then someone close to me said it was too much. As I said I love the human figure. I can render people ALL day and they said I needed to focus on scenes rather than just people. It really stumped and my entire creative process suffered for it. So when I got the urge to do something I had to rethink it to make an entire cohesive scene. 

...I uh, I feel a weight falling from my shoulder and I'm...kind of crying right now because I just figured out why I lost my inspiration to begin with. I stifled myself. I was trying to please the masses when it was me I needed to make happy. Yep, that was it...there are the tears.

Seriously, thank you all -so- much for your commentary. I know it wasn't JUST for me, but I'm going to pretend it is anyways. :'D

I don't know. if you enjoy working with single figueres, posing and lighting them, that seems fine to me. hell look at Mav: her singles are phenomenal, or look at Wayii's Indian god. The only reason I do scenes with a number of characters is that I find it easier to tell stories that way (and that I love comic strips which have to account for my framing at times and the need to portray some sort of action). By all means do what you enjoy. Yes push yourself and try out scenes. Learn from it but don't let them torture you.
  • Morning! Sitting at my local diner nursing a cup of coffee trying to wake up
    Let's throw some mesh
  • Diner? You didn't wake up on the way out there? :)
  • Back in the cubicle, trying to corral my attention, but the many people yakkiting away around me are so not helping. We have visual but not auditory privacy. Sort of.

*looks out of fishbowl and makes glubby noises*
  • It's only a few blocks away from the new place. I thought it was saturday when I woke up today
    Let's throw some mesh
  • LOL! Nope. It's Tuesday, Monday's nasty little brother. They're always late with their Saturdays. They never deliver them until at least Friday.

Speaking of odd, a bunch of guys just got up and thundered down to the atrium to stare up out of the skylight. Apparently the Space Shuttle, piggy-back on a jumbo jet, passed overhead en route to the Dulles air museum, where it will live from now on.

• More random fish!

• Yet another random fish.

• Nanobot said:

Yet another random fish.

O.o Here I was thinking Sushi for dinner. *Grin!* Maaaaaaaabye another day. >.> HIhi! Wakey Wakey?
  • HAH. We were just talking about inspiration and perspiration yesterday. This is today's Robert Genn newsletter:

No fish today?

April 17, 2012

Dear Nan,

Last Friday I was pacing the studio, bumping into doors and walls, tripping on canvases, knocking over cups of pre-mixed acrylic. "What to do?" I was asking myself. In my panic I briefly impaled myself on a brush I had forgotten to wash the day before. Like my head, it was hard and thick but still held a good point. Some days there ain't no fish.

I had a look in my near-gridlocked inbox. I searched "what to do" and got 14 returns from recent incoming emails. They were asking the same question, and I, in my flimsy guruness, was stuck for answers.

I decided to consult the Brotherhood and Sisterhood via the Resource of Art Quotations on our site. It's a place like no other--enriched by the great artists including our own subscribers. My eyes caught on the words of New Zealand painter Beverly Claridge: "Inspiration is a byproduct of discipline."

I realized I had fallen prey to my own fatal error. The day before I'd finished a painting--even signed it before I went to bed. Big mistake. There was nothing left to do on it. I knew it all along. It's always best to sign things early in the day. Then I dug up a faintly remembered quote from Ernest Hemingway: "I learned never to empty the well, but always to stop when there was still something in the deep part of the well, and let it refill at night from the springs that fed it."

The quotes were getting me as hot as a firecracker. "Inspiration," said Henri Matisse, "comes while one is working." "I write only when inspiration strikes--fortunately it strikes every morning at nine o'clock sharp," said Somerset Maugham. "Inspiration exists," said Pablo Picasso, "but it has to find you working.

That's when my line started bobbing up and down. Up until then I had been looking for fish in the sky. My line hadn't even been in the water.

Best regards,

Robert

PS: "When inspiration doesn't come, I go to meet it." (Sigmund Freud) "You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it." (Jack London)

Esoterica: I put the previous day's effort to the wall, went quietly to my workstation, set a virginal canvas on the easel and squeezed paint. I turned up the music, breathed deeply and settled into my routine. "Routine," said Twyla Tharp, "is as much a part of the creative process as the lightning bolt of inspiration, maybe more." It was a serene rebirth--a happenstance event loaded with calm desire and gentle optimism. "Inspiration is not born of 'the eureka moment,'" said subscriber Sharon Knettell, "but in the quiet spaces we allow ourselves to be in--whether in a beautiful part of nature or in a peaceful meditative state of mind." My enthusiastic and energetic stroking came later in the project. It builds up. It's the action itself that generates the inspiration.
    Here's the original: http://clicks.robertgenn.com/inspiration.php
  • And, welcome to another incredibly quiet weekday, where Nanobot babbles alone in the forum...
  • This seems appropriate for this week.  Forum needs...something. More art? Drama? Nah. We're still recovering from the last bout.

"To launch the high quality TV channel TNT in Belgium we placed a big red
    push button on an average Flemish square of an average Flemish town. A
    sign with the text "Push to add drama" invited people to use the button.
    And then we waited..."

http://youtu.be/316AzLYfAzw

• Crazy doodles...of $100 bills.

http://makeyourfranklin.com/gallery.html
  • How about more...pens and pencils? No, wait, we're digital...

• Ah, a random cat, of course.

• More in tune...but needs better kerning.

Really, the point to me was: Pursuit of perfection is irrelevant to the pursuit of art.
  • Nanobot said:

Ah, a random cat, of course.

how cute is that cat?!

• Calamari salad is lunch!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • *waves*

Hmmm...

*waves random tentacles*

• Nanobot said:

How about more...pens and pencils? No, wait, we're digital...

That may be what I'll be doing with my pencils/pens, quills, markers soon. The poor shelving unit I have them stred in at this point has three drawers broken and I have to use a screwdriver to open the blasted thing. THIS looks so much.........better. And easier to get to! As long as our Feline doesn't start thinkin' she can, too. ;) Cuteness and Tentacles. Whatta Wednesday!

• GRIM said:

Cuteness and Tentacles. Whatta Wednesday!

Just business as usual, here.
  • Thankfully all of my pens are fountain or dip pens so at least the nibs can be stored in small flat boxes.  The holders are all in an old coffee mug
    Let's throw some mesh
  • Thankfully all of my pens are fountain or dip pens so at least the nibs can be stored in small flat boxes.  The holders are all in an old coffee mug

Mine are stored somewhat in the same fashion- though the case for the nibs are in the broken drawer, and the holders are in another case inside the old leather briefcase my grandfather gave me that is shoved behind a table next to my desk. I have crap---------everywhere. XD
  • I like that they've got a Kikkerland windup toy perched on top of that bunch o' writing instruments.

Here are some others...

http://www.kikkerland.com/category/windups/

I have this one, too--a red version of that green one in the pic.

• More of why I love Kikkerland windups!

• Those are so.......odd! O.o But...strangely tempting and oddly appealing. XD Thank you for showing those, I would have never have known of them otherwise. I may just see how much those little buggers are!
  • Most of the kikkerland windups run about $15 each--but they're from a design store, so go figure. They're sturdy little things, made of metal.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!