3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Welcome to the (Concrete) Jungle
  • I'd have had a big grin too. :)
  • *Saved hair painting tut*, Thanks, Nan, :) Didn't you post one in your main site too? 

This is an updated one, my technique having evolved a bit.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • *sneaks in, plops in ded*

How's everyone? Will try to catch up later....

*ded*

And I was just thinking, "AP would know how to do that." What it was, however, I cannot recall. *blithers*
  • Bandaging. Because I flubbed it. But then I was working on the shaders, not on the bandaging technique. That's my excuse and I'll stick to it.

NOW I can think about the injury and the bandages. AP, are you going to be around a bit this weekend?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Nan - Got it. Will have to try it once I get a tablet. And, heeee! XD Once you remember what it was then let me know and I'll see if I can help, :-P

Suro - Injury? Who's injured? And I should be around. I'm working the weekend, so I won't be in the morning, but mid to late afternoon I should be able to sneak in a bit.
  • A character in a story. A bad guy who ends up in the good guy's infirmary and events ensue...

In other words, I am finally back to writinf something!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Oh, and I'm just back from my LAST DAY OF TEACHING!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Ah, ok, I'll be happy to help out, ^_^
  • We're very lucky to have you to ask!
  • Aww, thanks, :)

Hmmmmm.... bad guy in good guy's infirmary.... Are we thinking along the lines of good guys will take care of him but will conveniently run out of pain meds during dressing changes? Or something nicer? I know of a type of dressing change I've had to do that can work with the former, :-P
  • Ooohh... Eee... hmmm... Weeelll... Not THIS bad guy, buuut... I could use the knowledge, you know, randomly, for reference...

Actually, I needed a threat/informant/disruptive presence, and potential romantic entanglement. And this guy got left behind by the other bad  guys, but turns out he didn't die. The hero couldn't possibly abandon him, could he?

And this is a postapocalyptic world. Not a nuclear or alien-invaders apocalypse, but adhesive bandages would be rare, and medicines do tend to run out at inopportune moments. So old fashioned field hospital with wrapped-around bandages, I'm thinking, yes?

And after a little bit of research (tiny, tiny bit) I think a right-side chest wound is what I want. No my character, I'm sure, but my story does.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Ahhh. Because you wrapped him like his left shoulder was injured.  image
  • Nanobot said:

Ahhh. Because you wrapped him like his left shoulder was injured.  image

mmyep. Then I changed my mind. oops
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

Nanobot said:

Ahhh. Because you wrapped him like his left shoulder was injured.  image

mmyep. Then I changed my mind. oops

LOL!
    I bet your post-apocalyptic is superior to the usual!  Seems like post-A could be "the American West goes back to being wild, wild...with ruins"
  • Got me there!
    Suspiro ergo sum.

• Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Suro - To be honest, if it's old fashioned field dressings that you're thinking, it really isn't complicated at all. Find the cleanest possible thing, place it on top, then wrap it while applying pressure to the wound. Wound dressings themselves, outside of wound vaccums, are really not complicated at all. You don't necesarily need adhesives if you have long enough strips of cloth or similar things to wrap them around. The simplest dressing we do is literally just a sterile square piece of gause over a clean wound with a transparent plastic dressing (called Tegaderm) on top or the one step solution of a square bandage with a sterile, non-sticky center surrounded by adhesive. Then there are the hydrocolloid/hydrogel types which look like the blister bandaids you can get at any pharmacy; once in contant with drainage from the wound they turn almost jelly-like to maintain moisture and promote healing. Most of the others are usually just a sort of cloth/fiber impregnated with either medications or enzymes also to promote healing, aid in debridement (getting rid of the dead tissue/debris/etc) and even mask odor in some cases. The fanciest thing I know of is only used for deep wounds (think literal *holes*) that are very large and/or extremely hard to heal and those are called wound vacs, which is exactly what it sounds. They pack the wound with a type of foam and connect it to a vaccuum chamber which sucks out drainage and encourages the tissue to grow again and come back together; leaves ugly scars though. For lacerations, surgical incisions and/or stabbing-type wounds you could also use steri strips (or butterfly stitches, same thing) which are used to keep the edges together.

Now, with all that said, like I mentioned in the beginning, generic field type dressings were literally just the cleanest thing possible with something to hold it in place. If it was a deep wound, then you'd pack it with gause, put something on top, and then wrap it. The dressing type I mentioned in my previous post is called a wet-to-dry dressing and again, that's all it is. You clean the wound as much as possible from external debris, take clean/sterile gause, soak it with saline/sterile water and pack that into the wound as deep and thick as possible, then cover it with a clean gause. You change it once the packing is dry and pulling the dry stuff out brings with it more debris, drainage and sometimes bits of skin (the painful part). I've seen some people do it without pre-medication, but some offer pre-medication to the patient if it's due (which is what I try to do all the time). Of course, it also depends on the pain threshold of the wounded. 

That really is all there is to it, :) Believe me when I tell you that outside of the wound vacs, wound dressings/bandages are nothing extremely fancy, just clean, dry rags either plain like that or drenched in something to help with healing, which could be found in nature, since you did say that there was nothing nuclear in your post-apocalyptic world, ;-P

• Hope that helps, ;) If you want me to go more into detail, then let me know, :D
  • Oh, and if you want to do suturing, no lie, grab a sharp needle, sterilize it over fire, get some fishing line (the nylon type) and go to town. You can even use linen or cotton thread, but those are ripe for bacterial growth if not kept constantly clean and you can even use stainless steel wire, but yeah, not recommended for long term repairs for obvious reasons, :-P

Now I'm done. For now, ^_^

• Stainless steel wire sutures. Yeah, I had one. When my left knee was done back in 75 the doctor used a wire suture for the main work and three stitches. One near each and and one in the middle. He was trying to minimize scarring. I didn't feel the stitches come out but the wire suture (which had to be cut in the middle and taken out as two parts) smarted.
  • Ok, that'll teach me to not write while tired. The hydrocolloids look like the blister band aids and the hydrogels are more like a mesh. They work similarly though.

Terre - Wire sutures scare me. I was told that they're not used as much now but they do work in a pinch.
  • Thank you AP. Wire sutures? I had no idea.

I do have a further question. How about a deep wound, like a through-and-through gunshot wound?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Well... as long as he was seen by someone with very good knowledge of anatomy (and even then it would be hit and miss), not having proper imaging equipment (which I assume your world won't? X-rays and such?) would not let them make sure the bullet didn't tear apart his insides, because you may see an entrance and exit wound but inside it may not be a straight path (seen it happen; bullet weaved a bit inside the person before exiting). Of course, the one thing TV has gotten right is that you *could* stick something super clean in the wound to determine the path, but *that* would hurt like there is no tomorrow and it is extremely NOT recommended. I mention all this since you did say a chest wound. Lots of important stuff in the chest. You could look at a diagram of the chest and there choose what you'd think would be less lethal without modern medical care (or I can do it for you, but you'll have to let me sleep off work for a bit, :-P). As far as bandaging? Again, just what's cleanest and something to hold it in place on either wound. You could have the medics drench the dressings in something with antiseptic properties like tea tree oil, echinacea or even honey, place that directly on top of the wound and then cover that. 

If it's a through and through on a limb (if it's bleeding a hell of a lot, then it probably hit/tore a major vessel, if not, then no worries) then just bandage and immobilize. The chest becomes tricky.  
  • Ok, REEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY quick and dirty run down of possible side effects of chest wounds: if he's coughing up/vomiting blood, possible wound to the stomach, coughing up blood and not being able to breathe plus chest pain unrelated to the wound (usually one side only), most likely wound to the lungs, profuse bleeding that wont stop on the right side, think liver, on the left side, think spleen.

Now, it may sound doom and gloom when it comes to survival rate, BUT it *can* happen, and that's where you come in as a writer, :) You may choose for the good guys to have just enough coagulants to spare a bit and save his life, you may have either chemical and/or natural antibiotics that prevent infection and save his life, or you just may choose to go the hand wavey science route and just save him anyway, :-P
  • Nope, no imaging equipment. Electricity isn't readily available, or replacement parts. But knowledge is.

Honey as antiseptic, gotcha. I knew it was a good preservative, but I wasn't sure that the antiseptic part wasn't a legend. And echinacea: I can see my heroes harvesting it and keeping a supply at hand.

Now go sleep! This is wonderful info. Thank you.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Yes, chest is tricky. Will require a little thought. This character had better be worth it.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Random- I was emailed from the editor of 3D Art Direct regarding my twitter account, wanting to know if he could have the link...which I didn't have.  >.>  Well, I do now.  If anyone wants it's here.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • You're welcome, Suro, hope it helps.
  • AP: oh yes it helps.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • GRIM - What's 3D Art Direct?

Suro - *thumbs up* Glad it does, ^_^ Feel free to ask anything else. Even if I don't know, i work with some very nice doctors, :)
  • Oh, one note. Honey does work as an antiseptic, but I wouldn't put it on like a gunshot wound or something like that. It's not strong enough. And besides, wounds like that attract flies as is; add something sweet and well, you get my point.
  • AP: Oh yes. An echinacea preparation, then. That would work because we're in North America. Tea Tree oil wouldn't, because there's not necessarily communication with other continents.

Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Goldenseal is a good topical, I think.  Edit- OK, not so much, but I recall someone saying that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldenseal#Traditional_usage
  • Huh. I had never heard of goldenseal. *saves link*

Gah! The day is gorgeous! I don't want to go to sleep now! I need something to do... 
  • Coolest Elevator in New York.

http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=4450
  • surochek said:

AP: Oh yes. An echinacea preparation, then. That would work because we're in North America. Tea Tree oil wouldn't, because there's not necessarily communication with other continents.

That sort of prep would kill me- deathly allergic to echinacea.  Last time I ingested it (when I found out I was allergic) it took three epi-pens and some severe IV's to get the reaction down. 

As for 3D Art Direct, it's an emagazine you can find online for Poser, Daz and other 3D art for the fantasy/sci-fi realm.  Even if most of my works leans towards horror, the editor was impressed with the works themselves and will keep an eye on my galleries for possible future additions to the mag. :)

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Great news on the 3D Art Direct bit, Grim. :)
    You're also the second person I've met who's allergic to echinacea.
    I've also met a couple of people who're allergic to Aloe. That made me look at all of these diapers and baby wipes that have it in them and hope that they don't get used on an infant who's also allergic.
  • And neosporin makes me break out in hives. Go figure.
  • My big drug allergies are sulfa and ranitidine. Most people just see the latter in Zantac and the like. Turns out it's also an antihistamine. That's how I got prescribed it.
  • I am so lucky. Good old peasant stock. It takes debilitating levels of pollen to affect me.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Which brings up another question to AP: supposing that major factories don't work anymore, and distribution systems have fallen apart, is it possible to manufacture epinephrine in an environment more like a home lab? Or something similar even if it's not as good as the modern stuff and epi-pens? Also, how long are they good for? If a stash is discovered, what's the expiration time, and what would be bad about using (unknowingly) expired epinephrine?

(the knowledge is still mostly there, although fading, but the means and the supply aren't)
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Huh. I had never heard of goldenseal. *saves link*

Gah! The day is gorgeous! I don't want to go to sleep now! I need something to do...

note: it was in the 80's... ok, why is this doing italics? i can't fix it, oh, well.
    anyway, one of my verrrry esoteric, had all her kids born outdoors and all that, neighbors gave me goldenseal to save a dying kitten. it is BITTER, but i swear it saved that animal's life!

that's all i can say. this was pre google, pre internet and all that. just hippie
    stuff from a lady with 14 children, one of whom was a teenage mother that year even... she just knew things like that. they had a dog with 17 puppies, a rat, cats... and they were homeless in a car with the father of all the kids, yes, just one, until i convinced my landlord to rent to them. she was so grateful, hence the helping to save the kitten...

~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Nanobot said:

And neosporin makes me break out in hives. Go figure.

last year i cut a finger. neighbor gave me neosporin for it.
    they have to have changed it since the 70's. it burnt my
    finger and left a part of it dead. it still, months later, has
    a spot that is dead!
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Ouch. Did you tell a doctor about that? It may be a rare enough reaction that it hasn't been documented yet.
  • ladyfur said:

Nanobot said:

a spot that is dead!

Both of you are probably allergic to neomycin, and should not use Neosporin™ or any other anti-bacterial products which contain neomycin.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Xaa said:

ladyfur said:

Nanobot said:

a spot that is dead!

Both of you are probably allergic to neomycin, and should not use Neosporin™ or any other anti-bacterial products which contain neomycin.

But, Bacitracin? No problems at all.

Edit: Bacitracin probably just contains bacitracin zinc. Neosporin First Aid ointment contains that and neomycin sulfate and Pramoxine (analgesic).
  • Nanobot said:

Xaa said:

ladyfur said:

Nanobot said:

a spot that is dead!

But, Bacitracin? No problems at all.

Edit: Bacitracin probably just contains bacitracin zinc. Neosporin First Aid ointment contains that and neomycin sulfate and Pramoxine (analgesic).

Yep.  The flip side to that story is that Terre can use Neosporin just fine, but can't use the more concentrated bacitracin ointments, it would set off her sulfa allergy.
  • wierd how these things work, isn't it? i am chemically sensitive because
    in 1980 i was asleep in a college dorm room when they decided to
    fumigate... spiders still think i'm lunch, this many years later. there are
    no safe pesticides for me to be exposed to, and most meds are also
    too dangerous. i have never done drugs, smoked, or any of that, but i'm
    as vulnerable as anyone who has. i saw a list of the most dangerous
    common household products and, as i guess, we had only one of them,
    and not used in a dangerous way. air freshener in a can. as long as you don't
    try and use it like perfume, you're ok. but it's scary how many cleaning
    products, foods, and meds out there, i mean really common ones, are in
    the list of some of the more deadly things out there. and half of them are
    things we grew up around, well, most of us here, anyway. the list did not
    include foreign products...

ok, i know, more coffeeless rambling again.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Actually, it is fascinating, Ladyfur. We've exchanged a set of dangers for another. We wouldn't survive in the wilderness, but someone who only knows the wilderness might very soon die of poisoning or something very modern that we don't even think twice about.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Suro - I saw your post about the adrenaline, just haven't had a chance to answer. I don't *think* you'd make some in a lab, *but* I just never really thought about it. As far as I know there is no way to get it without fancy lab chemicals or to somehow remove it from a body and store it (is the latter possible? I have no idea to be honest...) Xaa may be able to pipe up here, or I can ask one of the doctors and get back to you.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!