3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Horror and Science Fiction
  • Funny 1980s computer consoles!
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Of course.  That WAS the era in which my aesthetic formed after all.
  • Raetjor said:

so true. that and superglue, no doubt. As well as toilet roll, because let's face it a bidee is just too French to really catch on.

hahahaha...
  • Wayii said:

Of course.  That WAS the era in which my aesthetic formed after all.

Hee. :D

• image image image

Meant to be viewed side-by-side...see below for full sized panels.

rustcitysuburbs1.jpg
    600 x 1200 - 451K
    rustcitysuburbs2.jpg
    850 x 1200 - 457K
    rustcitysuburbs3.jpg
    600 x 1200 - 442K
  • Mmm, rusty! :)
  • Got a portrait to share. :)

Portraits is pretty much the only thing that my computer can handle rendering at the moment... which is very frustrating actually.... but I am almost there with saving up for the new machine. :)

• Looks quite dramatic to my eye, Mav. Who and what is he?
    Very smooth transition from the scale(?) pattern to the skin there.
  • Hmm the red just pops right out and really catches your eye.  Very cool character!
  • Thank you both! I have no idea yet, what or who exactly he is... He came into my head las night and I have been working on his texture maps the whole day today... Also I am thinking of maybe changing his hair to mohawk dread locks (which I have never painted before) so... I don´t know yet. It will come I guess. :)
  • Oooohh, he's a WIP. It'll be interesting to see him develop. :)
  • Sort of.... with his visuals at least with the hair he is a WIP because I am so damn undecided.  I know he is alien in some kind and I know that he is the warrior kind of guy who fights with swords and / or hands only. he is blind but he has orientation with (ultra)sound, almost like a bat. :)
  • Ahhh, so I gave him dreads and I quite like it. :)

• I love the dread idea, Mav- especially with this guy. Though may I say I do think dreads in general aren't so perfectly together or as shiny. When I had mine, they weren't nearly as pretty. XD I love this angle you've taken with him. Well done.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • That does look good on him.
  • Snappy dresser, too.
  • And the textures. Just touchable.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • GRIM said:

I love the dread idea, Mav- especially with this guy. Though may I say I do think dreads in general aren't so perfectly together or as shiny. When I had mine, they weren't nearly as pretty. XD I love this angle you've taken with him. Well done.

hahaha, so it is shinly alien hair, I don´t know, hahaha... but thank you. I want to improve and I never had dreads myself. :)

And thank you, Nan and Surochek. :)

At the moment I am working on a full body picture of him.... well, MY part with the 3D is done but my computer keeps on crashing on the render... This is so damn frustrating :(

• I feel your pain, doll. *Pats* Trust me. Mine got so bad I ended up getting the external- which helped. My runtime was so large it took up almost all of the RAM, and my virtual memory I had to expand as well. The allocations weren't large enough for the rendering process, so it worked off of the HD. Which killed the program and froze the computer. You do EXTREMELY well with those frustrations, the proof is in the puddin'. Or, in your case, your figments. ;)
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Tadaaa.... Here he is.

Jahn'tar'an is an assassin, a headhunter. He is blind but that does not make him less dangerous. An implant inside his head lets him "see" via ultrasound, as we know it from bats, just a lot more precise.

He is one of a very few of his kind. His species, called the "Ynaraeh" live under the surface of a moon. His race is male only since the women of his species extincted centuries ago due to a disease which only affected women. The Ynaraeh were lucky to be able to clone and to breed their babies artificially. Gene manipulation creates diversity of the individuals but of course all this has a huge number of side effects: Many children are born sick, even more die before they are adults which is the reason why there is not many of them left. It is only a matter of time until this race will be gone forever.

• Sweet. Your work really paid off here.
  • Fantastic, Mav- really well done and thought out.
  • Thank you very much, both of you! At the moment I am rendering another one of him... at least no computer crash so far... Whenever I get a little more "complicated" with the skin shaders, my computer tend to refuse to work... the ambients on his skin keep slowing my machine down... :(
  • And here he is... finally.... Also - I am getting used to paint his dreads. :)

• Fascinating.
  • Oh I like. I love the colors. I love the lighting. The pose is just too cool. And he does have that just-off alien feel to him. Very nice character.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Mav.. that character is AMAZING.. gosh.. drool.  No women?  I volunteer.. oops!  LOL

Your work is so astoundingly good.  I really love the red blade on the knife, too.
  • DAGrant said:

Mav.. that character is AMAZING.. gosh.. drool.  No women?  I volunteer.. oops!  LOL

Your work is so astoundingly good.  I really love the red blade on the knife, too.

LAWL! xD
    ladyfur: 'in your easter bonnet, with mandrakes all upon it, you'll be the faeriest fella in the easter parade...'
  • DAGrant said:

Mav.. that character is AMAZING.. gosh.. drool.  No women?  I volunteer.. oops!  LOL

Hahaha... I am not sure though if he is a good lover though... since he lacks experience with women... XD

• [quote] 
    Hahaha... I am not sure though if he is a good lover though... since he lacks experience with women... XD [/quote]

Teaching is half the fun.  lol  No seriously, I love him, great, great character.  :)
  • This conversation could go on far AGES x''D
    ladyfur: 'in your easter bonnet, with mandrakes all upon it, you'll be the faeriest fella in the easter parade...'
  • I just love your characters Mavrosh!!
    Let's throw some mesh
  • Thank you! I have two more of this guy actually... :)

• We definitely need a "like" button. Both of those earned it. :)

• Interesting.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy

• Terre said:

We definitely need a "like" button. Both of those earned it. :)

Thank you!

Xaa said:

Interesting.

Yeah Jim, welcome to my weird sci-fi-wold... ;) Pretty colorful... which is NOT normal for me actually. XD

• What Terre said. This is such a cool character.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Very nice! And a nice change-up.
  • Rendered by me, post-worked by GRIM. Hope you like, :)

I couldn't think of a blurb to go with it, so we decided to just put a little bit of points of view from the two leaders, Preston (blonde) and Mitch (bald).
    -Preston
    "I should have known better. "Expect the unexpected" or some such nonsense. Daren was feeling strange even before we went into the room and was on his knees in agony right at the door. The fact that my own telepathy began to kick in should have told me we were in trouble, but I guess it was just as a defense mechanism because it didn't feel strong enough even for a card trick."

-Mitch
    “Taking point was never the job we liked, Jake and I.  We’d prefer to be above head to pick off the “big nasties” rather than hit face to face status.  Still, given it was zero-stupid thirty and we haven’t run into much I figured this was going to be an easy Recon.  I should’ve known better.  As soon as I heard Daren’s knees hit the tile floor behind us I should’ve opened up.   Even as I dropped to a knee myself, heard Jake scream as his rifle kissed tile and spat out one round into the wall- I didn’t squeeze off a round.  All I could do was stare… and scream right along with’em.”

Feel free to add more, :-P
    mission impossible 2.jpg
    3151 x 2280 - 1M
  • Very nice teamwork there guys. :)
    The POVs do pretty much explain the scene.
  • Oh, nicely done. Skeery!
  • But now I want to read the book!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Thanks, guys, :) I love what GRIM did with the post work. Good stuff!
  • Nice job. Looks great all around.
  • Thanks, LT.

Feeling super sick yesterday, so I tried to artify. Only managed some portraits... so I present Darkstar, Guardian and Prowl. In that order.

imageimageimage
    Darkstar.jpg
    2500 x 3235 - 2M
    Guardian.jpg
    2500 x 3235 - 2M
    Prowl.jpg
    2500 x 3235 - 2M
  • Egads, I hate painted on highlights on hair... blegh... Will have to take that into photoshop.
  • Thank you guys and gals for the comments- it was a fun collab, and I got to work through some new techniques on the post work.  So glad AP approves. ;)

And I agree with you there on the painted on  highlights, doll.  I'd prefer to have the light set up give me the highlights, thanks...but those three are verrry interesting!  I hope you're feeling better and soon.
  • Love the way you framed those, AP. Nice work!
  • GRIM - Me too, I attempted to do that within DS (messing with difuse, etc) but no go. The highlights were too strong. So perhaps take them off the diffuse and leave the spec map as is? And dude, it was very fun working with you, perhaps we should do a "What happened next?" :-P

Nan - Thanks, :)
  • perhaps we should do a "What happened next?" :-P

Yes please yes please yes please! Story story story!
    Suspiro ergo sum.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!