3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Horror and Science Fiction
  • YES!  *begs*
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • *Grin!* It's good to know peeps wanna read/see more!  AP and I are putting our noggins together- so hopefully we'll come up with segment two soon. ;)  Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • GRIM - Me too, I attempted to do that within DS (messing with difuse, etc) but no go. The highlights were too strong. So perhaps take them off the diffuse and leave the spec map as is? And dude, it was very fun working with you, perhaps we should do a "What happened next?" :-P

Nan - Thanks, :)

Well, I would make a copy sets to start with.   

Take the diffuse and save it as a Test Diffuse or something- if you can remove the baked in highlights from there, great.  The spec map you may want to tweak as well, since it may be either/or:  either it has little to now spec mapping due to the baked on highlights, or you may want to amp up the map as it stands for better effect.  I'd do a series of spec maps- low, med, high and extreme to see how they render out individually.

There are times that I take the diffuse map, copy it, turn the copy grayscale and take the contrast into severe mode.  Then add sharpness to it and flatten it and label it Test Bump/Disp.  You'd be surprised at how little details come out when you do that if the hair model doesn't already have one.  Yes, I add a displacement and a bump to certain hair sets when I use them at all anymore.

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • *Saves notes* Thanks! I'll have to try that. You've got PM! Lets ponder, :)
  • AP, those portraits came out wonderfully! :)
  • Science fiction-y landscape, wallpaper-sized.

mixed-terrain-red-dawn.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 497K
  • Cool!
    Damn familiar looking too. :)
    One note, when I first looked at it I mistook the dome and the hill behind it for a stone arch with some weird coloration below the arch.
  • Yes, one could see that. That's the odd thing about landscapes with no recognizable human/natural features. You just can't tell how big they are! Or sometimes what you're seeing.

I visited Haleakala once, and that was the weirdest trail I was ever on. Somethings looked far away and were close, and some things looked close but were really far away--in the one view one had. It was like spacetime had gone all elastic.
  • Actually.....TO me that is a VERY natural looking landscape. It's just missing the scrubby native plants. It just looks like the hills are small with mountains in the background, then you realize that is a DOME with a small mountain behind it and bigger mountains farther back.. 
  • Done editing the above post. (rolls eyes at self)
  • Nanobot said:

Science fiction-y landscape, wallpaper-sized.

Very cool. =)
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • I think the dome and the lack of scrubby plants is the SF part. :P

Thank you, Jim.
  • Wow, Nan! That is a spectacular speciman of Sci-fi landscapes, truly. What a great screensaver!
  • Nanobot said:

I think the dome and the lack of scrubby plants is the SF part. :P

Thank you, Jim.

Heehee. Good point. :)
  • But! I'm willing to improve. :D
  • This started as an exercise with using World Machine and Vue to do eroded mesas, and I ended up making another sci-fi-ish picture. Gave up on trying to get the danged floating pebbles to behave. They just *wouldn't* mind!

This is 1920x1200, and meant for wallpaper. ;)

strat-terrain-1.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 499K
  • Silicone-based lifeforms!

Wow, that's impressive and pretty!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • OMG, I didn't think of that. Anti-gravity rocks? With attitude? LOL
  • I read too much space opera once upon a time.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • That's really pretty.
  • Nan, that is beautiful. You've got eroded sandstone down pat.
    Next step would be to variegate the colors. In some areas different layers are slightly to very different colors or shades. This can be just a variation in between lighter and darker shades of the same color to vastly different colors. Take a look at the Painted Desert for an extreme example.
  • I LIKE the upstart floaters. XD It's a great scene, Nan--definitely wallpaper stock. *STEAL*
  • Very pretty, indeed. :)
  • Meet my boys. Well, the ones you haven't met. 
    Left to right on the back: Preston, chameleon metahuman, most powerful of the bunch since no one really knows his power limits, not even him, and he doesn't register as a metahuman on scanners; Michael, Daren's metahuman clone, strong telekinetic, low level telepath; Alex, Daren's little brother, telepathic and telekinetic like big brother, but not to his level and Luke, robotic humanoid alien, one of the group's doctors and chief sourpuss.
    Left to right on the front: Daren, strong telepath and telekinetic with a genius intellect and biomechanical wings (not shown); Jace, non-metahuman and quite happy with that, resident prankster and ray of sunshine and Orion, the big kahuna, robotic humanoid alien.

These will be my main boys. I may do one of the girls later on.

The Boys copy copy.jpg
    1150 x 920 - 801K
  • Interesting.
  • For a bunch of metahumans (and not), that's a pretty naturalistic group portrait! Nicely posed.
  • Yes indeed. The body language is very expressive.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Wow- Impressive, AP!  Very naturally posed indeed!  Quite the group!
  • Aw, thanks guys, :) Glad you liked it, ^_^
  • Ooooooh Angel, that's one bunch of hunky boys! Love it!
  • The team in action.  Don't have a story yet for this group so just doing a series of pics.

TickTock.jpg
    1083 x 797 - 415K
  • Hopefully the pics will grow into a story. :)
  • Elynda said:

Don't have a story yet for this group so just doing a series of pics.

So do "Macbeth."

Hey, just trying to crank out the renders for the storyline and lettering it up will keep you busy for several months. ;-)  Plus, it's good practice at both rendering quickly and planning renders before you execute them.
  • Hmm, that's a good idea.  Thanks!
  • Finally, something artified.

Lochlan-cybergrrl.jpg
    1491 x 1800 - 475K
  • Nanobot said:

Finally, something artified.

Very cool. =)
  • Oh my. That turned out amazing. love the angle and the blurb over on Rendo. So good. I missed your artifications so much!
  • Yeah, I need to get back in the saddle, too! :D
  • Nan-that's fantastic posing.  I loved the blurb as well!  I've been working on an ezine for a group I'm in of late and my last posting had been just a head shot of the guy I'm using, but other than that I've been concentrating on finding another job and my family visiting here.  It's been...hectic to say the least.  I miss yous guys! XD
  • Good luck. We miss you to.
  • *sneaks in*
    And here are the girls. Well, the main three. From the left, Thea, psychic and telekinetic with the added bonus of generating thunder and lightning; used to be one of the bad guys. Rashmi, the "Superwoman": invulnerability, super strength/speed/senses, infrared/xray vision, and one BAMF ninja; she's also the commander. And Nori, psychic and telekinetic, bio-mechanical wings like Daren's, ability to draw away all ambient light (and still be able to see) and anger management issues. All three have a degree of invulnerability and natural super strength. 

*sneaks out*
    The-Girls.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 498K
  • Nan - I really like your kitbash of AS stuff, :) I have so much of it but I just don't know how and where to *use* it... Good stuff, :)
  • Hee. "BAMF."    Nice candid!

Thank, AP. Earthbreaker just begs to be used with 110.1, and hey, they kitbash their own stuff. :)
  • :D Thanks.
    I *love* the gloves in Earthbreaker, TBH, they're the reason I got the thing, heh. You've given me ideas on how to use them though, so thanks, :) 

I'd love to have a set of clawed gauntlets/gloves like that for the boys... how complicated is it to refit gloves to another figure? Crossdresser kills gloves... especially AS gloves....
  • Gloves are the worst. I think you'd have to do it by hand. Almost worth it to make new gauntlets like those! >.> Yeah, but I'd better finish my Aphrodite project first!  *sigh* Life keeps getting in the way most inconveniently.
  • Ooooooh, *hint at Nan* You know you'd LOOOOOOOVE a set of gauntlets like that for the boys, right? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight? *bats eyelashes* XD Just kidding, :) Finish your Aphrodite stuff first. And *tell me about it* regarding life... bleugh...
  • {{hugs}} We're here and ready to listen if you need to gripe. :)
  • That's lovely, Jim. Yummalicious lighting and all.
  • Incredible!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!