3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Horror and Science Fiction
  • Just repost from the beginning.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • GRIM said:

Thank you!

As for another thread, if no one else minded I can start one?

I can't see why not.  Just re-post your story from the beginning in a new thread.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Nice work, GRIM/Dar. I like the one of Baptistery and Anari best, whatever you did lighting wise makes their skins look great.
    Have you tried lighting the coffin bedroom with IDS? If you can't identify the prop, use a pipe primitive and make it cast light. You can make it LNG and thin like the fluorescent tube you got and position it where you need it. In Poser you could even manoeuvre it into the exact spot , let it cast light but switch off appear in camera.

My own offering, as usual, probably a touch too dark.

image.jpg
    850 x 530 - 142K
  • I actually have a "lightbulb" prop, which is a combination of a light (to gain specular) and IDL prop that glows.  Both are, of course, invisible to the camera, but I can position them anywhere I actually need a little more light.

After I invented this thing and thought I was so damn smart for doing so, of course, it was THEN I found an article on lighting for movies/photography that basically mentioned adding supplemental lights to brighten areas that are too shadowy, and both the logic and methodology was identical to what I was doing - only they were hanging real lights juuuuuuust outside the camera's view, or using very narrow spots of low wattage.

Well, relatively low wattage, I mean.  When a motion-picture cinematographer is talking about a lighting system that in total draws about two or three thousand watts, adding a 150-watt spotlight is, for him, "low wattage."
  • Oh, hat reminds me, there used to be a poser script that let you use easy pose tubes much more quickly by effectively drawing the shape you wanted them to assume rather than fiddling with dials.
    Would be an easy way for relating neon lighting that spells words or makes up symbols, etc. I wonder if it has been updated for poser14.

Oh, follow on question: I migrated to a mac earlier this year but find that most poser scripts now don't work anymore. Since a lot of them came from rdna, I'd hate to lose them. Any idea what is going wrong? Do I need to get specific mac versions?
  • I don't know, I don't have a mac.  If you got them from RDNA, you should be able to go back to them and get downloads of the updated scripts.
  • Thanks everyone!

Actually, I rendered that scene about a dozen times.  IDL (using two oblong and rectangular shaped emitters where the bunk lamps are and one point light for the hall light) different IBL's and no IDL or IBL at all.  The result you see is a photoshop mix of the IDL, IBL and no IBL or IDL.

The regular spot point light where the bunk light is (the obscene bright ball behind him) was the only one that gave me the highlights on Khold himself (note the wrist/arm).  So, I used it.

The IBL really mucks up hair sometimes, even when you make sure Reflection_Lite_Mult and Reflection_Kd_Mult are unchecked, but it gave me a decent if flat diffuse-only-like render.  So that became another layer.

The IDL gave a better, over-all render even if it had not given the shadows/highlights around Khold's arm, or the book beside him.  It also didn't muck up the hair so badly- so that became a layer.

I had a z depth layer that I used to try to work the DOF, another full spec only layer.

I worked on that one for two days and 90% of it was tweaking lights and light rigs and rendering.  

The lighting for the Anari/Baptiste was an easy one!
    IDL with a sphere map from the Sunlight light set from RDNA for the environment.  The sun infinite light from the same set; I used 10 a.m.'s settings, I believe.  
    The hostel room came with a set of lights and an IBL (which I deleted), so I went through them and turned off the shower and bathroom lights.  Switched the rest in the room to raytrace shadows and dimmed them since I was using IDL and let it crank out.

Every time I render Anari with IDL, it cranks- that skin texture kills every time.  Well worth it, though.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Oh, Raet, you've been practicing, you devil. That is wonderfully cinematic.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Going to copy Grim's Runner story entries over to Runner Files, if he hasn't already.
  • Nanobot said:

Oh, Raet, you've been practicing, you devil. That is wonderfully cinematic.

Thanks, Nan. I try.
  • Thank you, Nan!  I've copied the rest over, but I'm not sure if I should delete them from here?  
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • No need to delete. We'll just move on. :)
  • Heh, will do then!  XD  All there for your enjoyment.  ;)
    artistic rendering.jpg
    1000 x 1538 - 308K
  • Nice. Looks like he's been working. His skin has a damp sheen to it. :)
  • Yup!  And.....I finally got my hands on T2 for Poser from RDNA.  My first try- but I changed things to use IDL instead of IBL.image
    Frozen.jpg
    800 x 800 - 332K
  • Ooh, interesting armor!
  • Nanobot said:

Ooh, interesting armor!

That's a DAZ store armor.  Major Cache, I think.
  • Yup!  Just the standard textures and some ambient for the lights.  Thank you!
  • Ahhh. I have that! Cool. No wonder I like it. :)
  • That time of year again!

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Red Room sm.jpg
    3000 x 1996 - 351K
    Dual Minds.jpg
    1176 x 1200 - 440K
    ph.png
    759 x 759 - 857K
    Hunting 2.png
    1000 x 750 - 802K
    hood.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 462K
    SWTWC.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 395K
  • Nice work there sir.
  • Thank you!
  • Good grief! I look away and bam! Two weeks gone.

But hey, it's always Halloween here. :D
  • No kidding!  BAM- Christmas. XD
  • Ow. So *that's* what ran over me...
  • YUS.  AND New Year's.  Oi.
  • Uh huh. Our New Years was pretty drab.

Kay's been sending away for things. Now I have to dig us out of all the boxes that have collected in the living room...because *she* won't do that!
  • Kitty fort heaven!
  • We stayed home.

I was not changing out of my "house gear" for nobody.  (read boxers and maaaaaaaaybe a robe if it got cold and I was too lazy to start the fireplace) I wasn't driving out past four bars where people Constantly get into accidents on  non-holiday days and try to pretend to Not be Sick of People long enough to smile without baring my teeth and growling at people.

Newp.  Home it was.
  • Later... Fantasy-me makes a pretty good demonic alien lady!  My first Poser render/pic in a while. Fully 1920x1080 desktop-sized. :)  That's why the background to the frame is huge.

SnowDominaNan-wp1920x1200.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 657K
  • impressive!
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Oh, pooh. I already posted that! Well, sorry, I posted it again into the Fantasy section. >_<
  • It's good enough to warrant two posts. :)
  • I love, love this.  I agree with Terre-definitely worth two posts. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!