3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
  • Well, nothing much I can add since the DS users have piped in, :) What I didn't know was that you can use the PFE to save INJ/REM poses, so off I go to try that. 

Nan (Or any Poser user) - I have P7 right now (I swear, something in the universe does *not* want me to get PP2012...), how can I load my characters there and save them out as CR2s to use there and/or in DS?
  • DS characters? You can't. You have to save them out as CR2s from DS then load them in Poser.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • How can I save them as CR2s from DS? I'd need the creation tools, right?
  • Well, to be clear, if you have P7 open with a character you like in the scene and all I'd zero the joint rotations (put him/her in the T pose) first. Save your pose with a Pose Dot. Then open the Joint Editor window and click the Zero Rotations button on the default "Centers" tab. Close that window, you won't need it again.

Then open the Character library and navigate to a folder where you want the character to go. You can save the character with absolutely everything it's got conformed or propped to it at the moment, and it includes the skin and morphs and position of the body and pose. To do this, click the + button on the bottom of the Character library panel. There may be a dialog that asks you if you want to save all the attached figures (clothing, hair)--that depends on you, really. The smartprops will go with the character--something I like so they can always have their jewelry on.

Once the thumbnail (a version of what's in your scene window) pops into that folder, you're done, and the CR2 is saved.

That's it. I suppose that's pretty much what a character preset does!  But it's not a scene, and the CR2 is designed to load into any scene just the way you saved it. Very handy.

By the way, the thumbnail is just a PNG file. You can render a nicer *square* picture, reduce it to 91x91 pixels, and use that in its place by just giving the nicer picture the same name (but with a png extension) as your CR2 file, replacing the icky one. That's all I do to create a custom thumb. Really, quite simple, if you have an image editor of some sort around.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • How can I save them as CR2s from DS? I'd need the creation tools, right?

I don't think so (although I do have them and they are free at the moment anyway). But I think you just go to File>Export  and change the file type from the default wavefront .obj  to Poser CR2 file.
  • Thanks, Nan, will try that later today, :D
  • dylazuna said:

How can I save them as CR2s from DS? I'd need the creation tools, right?

I don't think so (although I do have them and they are free at the moment anyway). But I think you just go to File>Export  and change the file type from the default wavefront .obj  to Poser CR2 file.

I should have mentioned that I use DS3? I don't think those are free unless I should have signed in to see the store prices... I just went to look for them and those are full price.
  • And File>Export just gives options to export out as obj, bvh, dae and something called u3d...
  • Poser can import .obj. I think that can be turned into a cr2 with a good bit of work.
    ETA: Make that a LOT of work. I think you have to rig the character and everything yourself.
  • The OBJ  *only* gets you the geometry and the simplest materials.
  • interrupting to ask one stupid question... what does the, 'u', and, 'v',
    stand for? thank you...
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • ladyfur said:

interrupting to ask one stupid question... what does the, 'u', and, 'v',
    stand for? thank you...

Nothing.  The "UVW" letters were chosen to map to "XYZ" on the model.  Though "U" means X longitude while "V" means Y lattitude, there is no significance to the letters.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • dylazuna said:

How can I save them as CR2s from DS? I'd need the creation tools, right?

I should have mentioned that I use DS3? I don't think those are free unless I should have signed in to see the store prices... I just went to look for them and those are full price.

Why not download Daz4 while it is free? Even if you don't use it for now. It took me ages to decide to make the move as I didn't like the interface. Even so I was using my familiar D3 to set up scenes and then D4 to render as it is a lot faster and has nice render options like saving directly to png so I didn't spend an hour or so on a render and then find I couldn't save it out because of memory issues.
  • ty, zaa... you know, i should have guessed, no meaning...
    that's just so... dazish.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • That's actually a universal 3D convention.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Yep.  The term has been in use since the late eighties.
  • Dylazuna - I downloaded DS4P, and have DS4A, just haven't gotten around to installing them. There are a few things there I'd like to try, but last I heard, the CMS thingy just turns me off. I don't know if I can use the program without it. 

Terre - I could use the obj to render in Poser no problem, but as Nan said, I can't re-pose if I so chose to.
  • Jim, thanks. Hah, UVW may be DAZ-ish, but they didn't invent it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_mapping  There's actual math involved, so they're variables.
  • Dylazuna - I downloaded DS4P, and have DS4A, just haven't gotten around to installing them. There are a few things there I'd like to try, but last I heard, the CMS thingy just turns me off. I don't know if I can use the program without it. 

Terre - I could use the obj to render in Poser no problem, but as Nan said, I can't re-pose if I so chose to.

If by CMS you mean the content management, then yes you can use it without. I have my own file structure and I'm basically still loading content into my old D3 folders. You can use the content directory management under preferences to point to all of your content directories as in D3. Then use the Content Library tab rather than the Smart Content tab and it basically works the same as D3.
    If you load D4 up, persevere as the whole interface takes a bit of getting used to. I settled on the City Limits layout in the end as it was the closest to my old D3 layout :)
  • Nanobot said:

Well, I would have said you need to update the base figure as well. Yes, I've had that happen! Crazy!

It would not hurt to reinstall M4 and his packs, in case something got munged.

You can navigate through your file system to Runtime - Libraries - !DAZ and uh...there's an EXPfiles something M4.bat file there. Ack, I'm trying to do this from memory... Well, you just double-click on it there in its own directory and that little DOS scriptie should go and update things.

**Frankly, using their shortcut from the desktop sometimes does not work! Go navigate to the folder where the .bat file lives and invoke it from there.**

Now go and load the (refreshed) Base M4. Now go INJ the Base morphs and then the ++ morphs, Enhanced, Muscles, Elite, Ethnic, F4, whatever.

Save that figure as a CR2 file to you own folder in Characters for future reference.

Now try to INJ the character into the newly updated base with the required morphs.

I believe the order in which you do it is important.

You are....so gawddamn smart Q.Q!!  That did the trick and I'm so happy right now I could skip x3
    ladyfur: 'in your easter bonnet, with mandrakes all upon it, you'll be the faeriest fella in the easter parade...'
  • Just repeating what was told to me and a bit of experience. It's nice to save someone all the stumbling around. :)
  • Ahahahaha.... I was trying to make INJ and REM poses from a saved character--older than the most recent morphs... and no matter how I did it, I got a balloon head! My own advice didn't work. *headdesk*

1. Applied an older saved pz2 file to a blank newly set up M4
    2. Created an FBM using Wardrobe Wizard
    3. Saved new character
    4. Went to Binary Morph Editor utility and created a PMD
    5. Used that new PMD in Binary Morph Editor to create INJ and REM poses

Voila! Head balloons and torso twists! I got NO idea why.

If anyone has a brainstorm, please let me know. Meantime, off to query experts (like Ralph, who made PMDEdit). Well, tomorrow. Bedtime now.
  • Nanobot said:

Ahahahaha.... I was trying to make INJ and REM poses from a saved character--older than the most recent morphs... and no matter how I did it, I got a balloon head! My own advice didn't work. *headdesk*

1. Applied an older saved pz2 file to a blank newly set up M4
    2. Created an FBM using Wardrobe Wizard
    3. Saved new character
    4. Went to Binary Morph Editor utility and created a PMD
    5. Used that new PMD in Binary Morph Editor to create INJ and REM poses

Voila! Head balloons and torso twists! I got NO idea why.

If anyone has a brainstorm, please let me know. Meantime, off to query experts (like Ralph, who made PMDEdit). Well, tomorrow. Bedtime now.

can't say I know why but have you checked the m4++ head size dial? If that has set itself to 1 you get ballon heads. Also I wonder in how far that is down to the way that poser now claims to support scaling.

• I'm thinking it's more about how the PMD was made. No, head size dial has nothing to do with it. Nor did I have the Torso Twist dial pinned. And yet, the Alex FBM landed in the Morphorms area! Hmm.
  • Nanobot said:

I'm thinking it's more about how the PMD was made. No, head size dial has nothing to do with it. Nor did I have the Torso Twist dial pinned. And yet, the Alex FBM landed in the Morphorms area! Hmm.

I have not used those scripts , to be honest. But I have on occasion tried using the inj pose builder which came with the "ultimate morphs" series over at RDNA and had rather unpredictable outcomes (especially since they changed how poser uses python with poser2012; I find myself going back and forth between poser 2010 and 2012.) . Nowadays if I try to make an FBM (whic I rarely do) I use the pose writer script or the one for making FBMs by the German dude who scripted "morphing clothes", they have not let me down so far,  Being as uninformed as I am, what is the point of PMDs? Are they necessary? Or is that something to consider when you want to publish morph packages?
  • Well, the PMD method was described in a training video from RDNA, and it used the PMD Edit utility that Ralph Sessler (Dimension3d) wrote. Which one writes FBMs? Actually, Poser Pro2012 writes them natively (as did 2010), come to think of it! Ugh, should have tried that, too.

The point was to get the morph information into an INJ file. There's more than one way to do that, but I can't recall for the life of me...ugh, bad memory day. Sort of like a "bad hair day" only it stays under the hat.
  • OK, I have a site mail in to Ralph; we'll see what he says. Man, anything to avoid editing a pose file by hand!
  • Well, if for whatever reason Ralph or ralf? Has trouble with his English let me know, since he is the one I meant. Found his PMD edit script while browsing his stuff. Sorry to be of no use whatsoever. Oh , the Dazfreebie of the week has janitorial goos from Valandar, he/she must have been browsing our forum here.
  • HAH, janitorial goodies? Sweet! Thanks, Val! ;)
  • Well, I got a very nice reply and I *think* it clears things a bit:

First of all, the warning about dialed morphs in the product
    description is to emphasize that the Binary Morph Editor works with the
    deltas to define morphs, not with the dial settings to define characters
    based on the morphs.

Now, from your description, I'm not sure what you want to achieve. Do
    you want to create a pose that sets the dial values of your dialed
    character? In that case, all you would have to do is saving a pose with
    the morph values to the Poser library, and then filter it in Poser File
    Editor to remove anything but the targetGeom and valueParm settings.
    (This can also be done with the CR2 or even a scene with the figure.)
    The result is a file with nothing but the dial settings that can be used
    as INJ pose (more precisely, a MOR pose, because it only sets the
    values, while an INJ pose would also inject the deltas).

• Argh! Ok, while I'm learning and doing the other things I've set myself to learn and do, I'll keep saving my people as characters. I actually tried to figure this stuff out, but I'm just not ready to tackle it.

Thanks for posting all that search-and-discover for us!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

Argh! Ok, while I'm learning and doing the other things I've set myself to learn and do, I'll keep saving my people as characters. I actually tried to figure this stuff out, but I'm just not ready to tackle it.

Thanks for posting all that search-and-discover for us!

This is why I use Evernote. Shoot, I can't recall where all this stuff was said six month later!
  • Hmm.. I now have something new to learn when/if I get time to do it. I just picked up Vue 9 Frontier yesterday. For the grand total of about 17.00 with shipping and handling from the magazine I ordered from the UK. 3D Artist had it as a freebie along with several other goodies. I figured...17 bucks was better than 99- even if it's the previous version. When..if... Gah, what time? At least I have a copy!
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Finally got back to the boots tonight. Not sure if I'll last much longer than this. Took some time to recall what I was doing and how... but one more done!

Here's a quick render...

brown_boot_fnl.png
    1571 x 1162 - 570K
  • Oh VERY well done.
  • Oh wow!  Sweet!
  • NICE. LT, that's some damn fine work.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Beautiful, my dear. They look like boots someone's actually worn! :D  image
  • Some nice looking stuff in here! :D Sorry I've been gone so long; school's been crazy. :( Also, I know there are a lot of Poserites here, so I thought you guys might be interested to know that, since DraagonStorm is no longer doing Poser conversions of Marieah's Fabricator expansions, I am currently working on the Poser conversion for Ye Olde Clothe--you can see some of my progress in the thread at DAZ (I don't have any of my test renders with me or I'd post them here ;) ). :)
  • OH! Hi, Zaarin!

Would you post a linky at least? Much appreciated.
  • Oh, sorry. Don't know why I didn't think of that. :P

You'll find my test renders here (and I'll be posting more in the next couple of days): http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=181361&start=480

• Making progress, there! :)

• Final of the tan version...

tan.png
    1571 x 1162 - 696K
  • Yay!
  • LT....

• lol Nearly there!

Just the white, grey, and black left to do. As most of those will be very similar, I don't think that shoild take as long. The tan, oxblood, and brown are all slightly changed up.
  • Final of the grey version...

Two more to go. :)

greyboot_fnl.png
    1571 x 1162 - 669K
  • Final of the white version...

Only black left to go!

• Wayii said:

Yum

I mean... They look so comfy and stylish. *sigh*
    Suspiro ergo sum.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!