3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Welcome to the (Concrete) Jungle
  • *sniffle* ACHOO. Ugh, I feel like a fever's coming on. Bleah.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Awwww *makes Nan a hot toddy and gets her a blanket*  and thank you!
  • Terre said:

This looks like a tough prize to win but $1000 cash is probably worth a try for some people! http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=186098&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

http://www.mixamo.com/c/user-contests/2012-3d-modeling-contest

You have to craft your 3d character from scratch, I do believe.
  • Delaney, to some extent, even Poser pros get to the point where they click and dial until it looks right. Critiques are welcome, and if I find something useful to say, I do. But usually, someone more articulate in art critique beats me to it.

Great place to learn stuff, though. And hang out. And... Well, a great place anyway.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Nanobot said:

Terre said:

This looks like a tough prize to win but $1000 cash is probably worth a try for some people! http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=186098&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

http://www.mixamo.com/c/user-contests/2012-3d-modeling-contest

You have to craft your 3d character from scratch, I do believe.

Yes, I might be all over it otherwise. But I'm still at the basic-cube-and-close-to-it stage.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • DAGrant said:

Hi guys, *waves*  I'm DAGrant, or Delaney.  I was so excited to hear that Nan had a group for critique.  Yeah, I'm a Rendobot, but I started posting there for critique, which is few and far between, and I get a lot of, 'That's awesome'  or 'Beautiful' comments, but not a lot that will help me grow as an artist.

I love to offer constructive critique too, but find myself VERY hesitant over there for fear of being branded a hater or blamed for someone picking up their marbles and going home.  Thank you Celticfire for telling me about the group, and thank you Nan for inviting me in.  :)

*hands Nan a tissue!*  get better!

Delaney

Hello DA! 8DD /flailwave
    ladyfur: 'in your easter bonnet, with mandrakes all upon it, you'll be the faeriest fella in the easter parade...'
  • wwelcome aboard DAGrant.
  • *hugs puffle_huff*  Hihi!  

Hi Raetjor, and thank you for the welcome!
  • Didn't get the job... off to cry my eyes out for a bit.
  • Didn't get the job... off to cry my eyes out for a bit.

• Yeah... didn't think I'd get the no the friggin' day after the interview... I think that's what sucked the most. I wish they would have given me the time to have the marvel of how awesome that hospital is to wear off.... But ah well. Moving on, I guess... thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, :) I'll just keep applying there and elsewhere... even thinking of going back to adults just to get out of night shift, but we'll see.

Thanks, guys,
  • Yeah... didn't think I'd get the no the friggin' day after the interview... I think that's what sucked the most. I wish they would have given me the time to have the marvel of how awesome that hospital is to wear off.... But ah well. Moving on, I guess... thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, :) I'll just keep applying there and elsewhere... even thinking of going back to adults just to get out of night shift, but we'll see.

Thanks, guys,

*Hug* So sorry, AP. IT does suck yes, but perhaps the no came simply because in reality it's not where you need to be? That's how Mark explains how things work for him to me. "Somehow, down the course of my life, I end up where I need to be. Weather or not I know it at the time, every "no" or closing of a door led to another one opening and a completely different "yes" I never expected to see comes my way."
    Perhaps, doll, that can be said for this no as well.? I have faith. You'll find something.

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • And in some cases, what looks like a drunkard's walk of a path of openings/closings can actually be more straightforward than you know. ;) 
  • I uploaded the Window Seat and the Hipster Glasses to Rendo freestuff last night. They're both up and the window seat already has 219 downloads. I'm like, "Guys, it's just a room."  o_0
  • But...it's a NAN room! :) I can't wait to get time to dl both that and the glasses. I want the glasses. THEN..................time to actually Render something. *Sigh* Nanolagoodness! You can't bite just one! :D
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • A room is more scary to model than you'd think. I don't know why. Go figure. And few people are willing to make the effort/plunge/time investment.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Well, it certainly took me long enough--like six months to get it done right, what with one thing and another.

See, this was the modeling challenge: coming out with mostly quads when I was done. See, you can use one side of the end of a cylinder with spokes to the center to make the arch. Now attach that to a cube in such a way that you get quads--not a big honking n-gon. Oh, and bevel the edges without getting funny n-gon shapes. Poles (verts w more than 4 edges) are OK in flat surfaces, pretty much, but n-gons, nuh-huh.

There turns out to be an easy way, but it took me a while to make it work right AND UV map it properly. Then I had to add trim and pilasters and a window and... and...  image  Silly birdiebot.
  • GRIM said:

But...it's a NAN room! :) I can't wait to get time to dl both that and the glasses. I want the glasses. THEN..................time to actually Render something. *Sigh* Nanolagoodness! You can't bite just one! :D

You probably have glasses like that when you're not wearing contacts. Yeah, you'd be too cool.

Edit: *examines tooth marks on leg, applies bacitracin*
  • Hmm... Has Elynda been around recently? I wonder how she's doing.
  • Nanobot said:

Hmm... Has Elynda been around recently? I wonder how she's doing.

Me too.
    Wonders where Ladyfur is as well.
  • Nanobot said:

GRIM said:

But...it's a NAN room! :) I can't wait to get time to dl both that and the glasses. I want the glasses. THEN..................time to actually Render something. *Sigh* Nanolagoodness! You can't bite just one! :D

You probably have glasses like that when you're not wearing contacts. Yeah, you'd be too cool.

Edit: *examines tooth marks on leg, applies bacitracin*

Hey now, I've had my shots.  :D  My glasses?  Well one pair are damn close, true enough. The spare set are more rectangular in shape and narrow from brow to cheek.  Like ....sorta like a S&M librarian sorta thing?
    imagemagic.jpg
    295 x 196 - 24K
  • So I should model these?
  • Nanobot said:

So I should model these?

That would be cool.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Nanobot said:

So I should model these?

O.o If you do, I will be more'n happy seein' about making a right proper render for those. *Evil grin!* .....Oh, something that's able to be put onto the boards here without offending the hosts TOA of course.
  • GRIM said:

Nanobot said:

So I should model these?

O.o If you do, I will be more'n happy seein' about making a right proper render for those. *Evil grin!* .....Oh, something that's able to be put onto the boards here without offending the hosts TOA of course.

*leers and then thinks better of what she was going to say!*

Of course, a far as I a aware, you look rather like your Mik character with glasses and hair somewhat shorter than floor-length. At least, the one blurry photograph that Weird Tales was able to obtain was sort of like that. Yes, everyone was surprised that the monster was cute, too.
  • Nanobot said:

I think my favorite and really only successful Larp was played at a fan convention (Wayii may know it, it's called something like Bill and Ted's Excellent Convention. Gad, my memory. Local thing. Fuzzface MacMahon got us into doing that--great fun.) I was a very down-to-earth Native American shaman type who was sort of mellow and odd, but thought that all the hysterical white people were nuts. Yeah, stereotyped, but fun.

Actually, that's pretty much me, but without the Native American.

Hah. That always reminds me of when I was in my teens, and Mom was doing genealogy stuff--a phase moms seemed to go through, back in the 70s. She discovered she was related to Cherokee princess. I think that's what she called that--and she preened for a while about it. Much later, I found out that that's a colloquial term, like "yellow rose," that denotes a person of color who can pass for white--and she probably figured that out and was horribly embarrassed. Of course, why that's a problem, I can't fathom these days, but hey, my parents were a bit on the prejudiced side back in the day.

You know I never have understood that type of prejudiced. My mom is a huge genealogy buff and recently discovered that on her side we're related to the only Indian buried in the Arlington National Cemetery, Push-Ma-Tahaw(?), but she's very proud of that fact, but my cousins were horrified of it. I guess it all depends on where you were raised. My cousins come from the tea & toast Houston elite.
  • Nanobot said:

I uploaded the Window Seat and the Hipster Glasses to Rendo freestuff last night. They're both up and the window seat already has 219 downloads. I'm like, "Guys, it's just a room."  o_0

Hun, I don't think you understand, it's been *touched* by Nan, we must has!
  • Nanobot said:

I think my favorite and really only successful Larp was played at a fan convention (Wayii may know it, it's called something like Bill and Ted's Excellent Convention. Gad, my memory. Local thing. Fuzzface MacMahon got us into doing that--great fun.) I was a very down-to-earth Native American shaman type who was sort of mellow and odd, but thought that all the hysterical white people were nuts. Yeah, stereotyped, but fun.

Actually, that's pretty much me, but without the Native American.

Hah. That always reminds me of when I was in my teens, and Mom was doing genealogy stuff--a phase moms seemed to go through, back in the 70s. She discovered she was related to Cherokee princess. I think that's what she called that--and she preened for a while about it. Much later, I found out that that's a colloquial term, like "yellow rose," that denotes a person of color who can pass for white--and she probably figured that out and was horribly embarrassed. Of course, why that's a problem, I can't fathom these days, but hey, my parents were a bit on the prejudiced side back in the day.

You know I never have understood that type of prejudiced. My mom is a huge genealogy buff and recently discovered that on her side we're related to the only Indian buried in the Arlington National Cemetery, Push-Ma-Tahaw(?), but she's very proud of that fact, but my cousins were horrified of it. I guess it all depends on where you were raised. My cousins come from the tea & toast Houston elite.

Here's a funny--the great-grandmother of mine who has some very Native American cheekbones and, with her sister, was from Tennesse--probably *was* some mixed blood in there, but good families, basically; educated people who had money and land. Her husband was mayor of Houston Heights for a couple of years, way back when. Tea and toast? Hah. Their house is in the historic district. Scratch any frontiersman and you get some much more earthy antecedants.

What I do know is that as Sherlock Holmes, said, "Art in the blood can take on strange ways." I probably massively misquote...Great-grandmother Ruby was a singer and a bit of a diva, I heard. We seem to have a variety of musicians, some professional, in the family, and some painters, too. The Wyrd is very much with us. Hey, that's what counts, however you come by it!

• Exactly, it's not where you come from, but where you go that matters.
  • Exactly, it's not where you come from, but where you go that matters.

It's both, to overcome, live up to, willfully ignore, or take inspiration from. It's also something others will not ignore and will hold against you if they find it convenient. You can discard it and start anew, but you can't call it nonexistent.

It is, however, always what you make of it. And it's never painless.
    Suspiro ergo sum.

• surochek said:

Exactly, it's not where you come from, but where you go that matters.

It's both, to overcome, live up to, willfully ignore, or take inspiration from. It's also something others will not ignore and will hold against you if they find it convenient. You can discard it and start anew, but you can't call it nonexistent.

It is, however, always what you make of it. And it's never painless.

Or you can have no earthly idea at all and frustrate the living haran out of your geneologically-obsessed inlaws.

The joys of being adopted.
  • Heh. Close enough to having all the official records wiped out and and having to rely on the faulty memory of people who go by folk calendars that only marginally match official ones, and use-names that never were recorded anywhere.

Besides, who bothered recording more than baptisms of peasants?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • More or less, yeah.  And LOL!
  • Dar and Nan - Thanks for the words, :) Gave me a smile, :) 

Haven't been able to post since they've asked me to cover the evening shift at work and I just came in. I swear, I'll take a screaming, kicking, spitting child over some of the parents (ok, the one mom...) I've had to deal with these past two nights. Hell, I'll take TEN screaming, kicking, spitting hell spawns over that one lady. *grumble* 

Ok, rant over, forgetting about work. Arts! So I left a render going (just one layer of many) from way before I went to work and now I'm back, and it's 12 hours in and not even half way! I have no heart to stop it now... so I'll let it cook over night. 

What's this I hear about more Nan goodies??? *goes off to look and download* Yay! Thanks for sharing, :D I need to get off my butt and model something. 

How's everyone otherwise? Ah, and hello to the new guys and gals! Welcome, :)
  • Nanobot said:

GRIM said:

Nanobot said:

So I should model these?

*leers and then thinks better of what she was going to say!*

Of course, a far as I a aware, you look rather like your Mik character with glasses and hair somewhat shorter than floor-length. At least, the one blurry photograph that Weird Tales was able to obtain was sort of like that. Yes, everyone was surprised that the monster was cute, too.

*Chuckle* Thank you, dollface. *Cheeky grin!* I'll take that as a compliment, definitely..and as for that comment. I'd Triple Dog Dare you but I know you'd just go right on ahead and say it. Or...not just to make me twitch. I do have a plan for a render that I can re-tweak into something suitable for those lovely glasses. If I can carve out time this weekend (it's not been easy to do ANYTHING lately) I shall. Until then, I'm sharpening those incisors. I am having a craving for gnawing on something.

AP! Good to see you! *grin!*
  • The chap on the right is Mik. My oldest and most unseelie Elf, Ariolas, is on the left.

http://3d-noir.cooltuna.com/discussion/comment/3086#Comment_3086
  • *Grin* Love that one!! I do. *nodnodnod* I just found out I'll have time to hopefully get a render going tonight! I'm ........excited. O.o It's been so long.
  • Heyas, AP!
  • How goes it? ^_^
  • Nearly quittin' time here. Woof. Now I want to go home and see how far they've gotten in painting the dining/living room! Supposedly done today. Of course, I didn't ask if that meant, "done with the prep" or "done with the painting." I am hoping for a pleasant surprise, and the ability to actually use the room this weekend.

*prays* image
  • GRIM said:

*Grin* Love that one!! I do. *nodnodnod* I just found out I'll have time to hopefully get a render going tonight! I'm ........excited. O.o It's been so long.

Yeehah! I know how you feel. I've been working on a little one the past two nights and feeling a bit rusty!

*creaksqueak*

Oh, wait, no, that's actual rust.

*squikkieoil*

Ahhh, much better.
  • somebody missed me?

well, it's been stormy as he// here and power outtages,
    hail, rain, cold, rain, colder, rainier, ice, hail, rain, even
    colder, outtages, rain, f that's cold!, rain...

you get the idea. offline a lot.

whole new meaning now to, 'yellow rose of texas', hunh? hmmm.
    i bet that'd burn them texan's muffins, it shore would...

angelus, that job was the wrong one. you deserve better.
    the right one will come along. hang in there.

grim bites ankles? um... ok, but be nice about it...

who am i missing here?

fascinating discussions...

oh,. delaney, post a pic and i promise to give you a
    multiple point dissection of it, ok? ;)

~^..^~ ladyfur
  • @Ladyfur; Yup. Glad to see everything's OK. :)
    As far as the discussions.... This is the sort of thing we constantly used to do on the Complaint thread over at Daz. Welcome to the madness and fun.
  • oh, i am totally grateful to be able to come here and not
    worry about freaking the dazanes, terre ;) i like it here :)
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Good. :) That's exactly what Nan and LT wanted when they started discussing making this place.
  • but i got lost... i was just about to post how neat that complicated d&d pic,
    with all those red eyes, etc, was... when i got this: 'terre mentioned you in a thread', thingy... so i came here. now i forgot where i was, who made the neat pic, what i did with my coffee... um, ok, i found the coffee, scratch that one...

i must belong here, right?
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • LOL
    Yup. I think the pic you're thinking of is in the Fantasy thread.

ETA: Yup. And since you've quoted the pic right above it. Both are certainly comment worthy. :)
  • Welcome back, Ladyfur, :D
    Thanks for your words. Funny how things work out. Before the interview I kept thinking, Oh wow, the best hospital in the city wants to interview me for a very intense, high stress position and is going to train me! Yay! Go me!, but after, I guess the latter was not meant to be, heh. Perhaps you guys are right. It wasn't the right job for me because I am not quite ready to deal with the stress of such sick kids. But the right one will come, like you guys say. 

Nan - Did the painting get done?

Thanks! Morning all, ^_^
  • Yes, actually, we DID wonder where you'd gone to! 

@ AP yep, time to upload some pictures! The house is still pretty cluttered and confused because (a) we're just that way and (b) we're waiting on some furniture.  I think I may hold on putting the paintings back up until the furniture arrives. There's a big TV console/bookcase/hutch thingie coming as well as a couch, table, chairs...yeah, we went kinda nuts, but we do this about once every 20 years. Like our buying cars, also once every 15 or 20 years. Computers, that's different!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!