3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Welcome to the (Concrete) Jungle
  • Ozzfest said:

Might be ;)

Heh thanks! I joined up here a few weeks back - then got snowed under with work.  Just about reached the surface again but half expecting another avalanche.

Hope everyone here is doing ok though.

Jack! *tacklehug* We're doing OK. The usual round of projects, winter colds and whatnot going on, I guess. :)
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Oh Jack, I must say I love your sets, they're beautiful! Great job. I used to be a Platinum member on Daz and immediately fell in love with your carnival stuff. Amazing work!
  • Agreed, Jack's sets are great. :)
  • ok... i have not gone through every post in this or all of the other threads yet, but...

it looks like the majority of us here are cat, or cat friendly people, low vision or similarly limited in some way, writers to one degree or another, artists, obviously, and, and... non mundanes!

ok...

OT:

name, shire, etc...

'lady elizabeth mc carren', wolvescairn.
    personal motto : 'pagans for jesus', in fine calligraphy
    on a banner, using mardi gras colors :)

it was an interesting time, huzzah!

and we still think the king is a fink ;)

ok... back to freaking the mundanes now...
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • We are an interesting collection of oddballs. :)
  • Boris, German bear , hailing from Glasgow, uk.
    Totally mundane, I'm a high school teacher of History and English ( hence my inability to remember numbers and spelling, go figure).
    Have actually written a promenade play for Halloween, and I did sing for ages in a choir. Also, self professed RPG nerd.
  • Wayii, elderGoth raised in Baltimore, now stuck in NoVA.
    Quite happily boring as kriff-all after an overly adventurous youth. 
    No longer really bother with distinctions between mundane and fen, having come to the conclusion that the only real differences are in the manifestations of the inner crazy and stupid inherent in all human things.
    Obsessed with SW/EU Mandalorian culture and language.
    Ardent supporter of honesty, common sense and creativity.

Allergic to damn near everything.
  • Denis, or Denny depending on my mood, from the deep fried southern state of Louisiana & Mississippi.
    Trained in opera since 13, play a few instruments, got into Daz accidentally then realized ooh, this is like playing without dolls without the stigma! Avid Vampire the Masquerade fan, love my True Blood, Tudors, and Dante's Cove even! Usually a homebody and definitely not kinky, just vanilla impaired!
  • I have no idea what you are talking about, so guess that makes me mundane? :LOL: I even tried googling Fen/Mundane but it wasn't giving me anything useful to go on! Something to do with SciFi fans?

ex IT (programming/systems design from mainframes thru minis to PCs)
    teach Pilates for fun (definitely not profit!)
    spend too much time in front of my PC trying to be creative and not enough following my own Pilates advice
    am apt to open my mouth before engaging my brain, but otherwise harmless :)
  • Mundane is an acquired skill when you grow up in a tight ethnic community of political refugees... then become an immigrant academic to the US and a 3D nerd to boot. Writer, translator, language teacher, avid reader, and random fan of other stuff, like mindlessly entertaining movies and horseback riding. Also SCA once and maybe again, with, of course, a Russian persona.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Fen is an old generic term for people involved in a wide variety of fandom groups including but not limited to sci-fi, anime, fantasy and horror (movies/TV/lit/comics/games), most commonly those who were prone to being social (conventions, SCA events and eventually LARPing).

Most Fen commonly use the term Mundane for all non-Fen folk and find a great deal of amusement in bending their (Mundanes') reality by being very out-of-the-closet in public.  Freaking the Mundanes is the common phrase used for this sport.  Most of the time, it's harmless, lighthearted teasing but some of the more bitter, angry Fen can be more than a little confrontational and hostile about it.
  • surochek said:

Mundane is an acquired skill when you grow up in a tight ethnic community of political refugees... then become an immigrant academic to the US and a 3D nerd to boot. Writer, translator, language teacher, avid reader, and random fan of other stuff, like mindlessly entertaining movies and horseback riding. Also SCA once and maybe again, with, of course, a Russian persona.

If you do, I want pictures.  Lots and lots of pictures.  Old Russian fashion is just gorgeous.  And really, like the old Turkish, Arab and oriental stuff... you just don't see enough of it at events.
  • Interesting definition. From a story I heard from a member of the New Mexico Mountain Club when I was in HS I'd say that sometimes that "Freaking" bit backfires. He'd met a young lady on another hike with a necklace from which dangled a piece of electronics he recognized and knew the purpose of. He asked her about it and she kept trying to tell him that it was some kind of translation device (my impression was Star Trek related) which she needed in order to understand the local language because she was an alien. He ended up deciding that she was either an idiot or just crazy and ignored her for the rest of that outing.
  • Terre said:

Interesting definition. From a story I heard from a member of the New Mexico Mountain Club when I was in HS I'd say that sometimes that "Freaking" bit backfires. He'd met a young lady on another hike with a necklace from which dangled a piece of electronics he recognized and knew the purpose of. He asked her about it and she kept trying to tell him that it was some kind of translation device (my impression was Star Trek related) which she needed in order to understand the local language because she was an alien. He ended up deciding that she was either an idiot or just crazy and ignored her for the rest of that outing.

*chuckle*

Attention-seeking behaviors often do tend to backfire.
  • Wayii said:

If you do, I want pictures.  Lots and lots of pictures.  Old Russian fashion is just gorgeous.  And really, like the old Turkish, Arab and oriental stuff... you just don't see enough of it at events.

Thanks for the Fen and Mundane definitions. My sister dragged me to a Stargate convention once. I was definitely out of my element !

What kind of pictures do you need? I have an old illustrated book my Polish father gave me of historical polish and other east european fashion. I could scan some of the pages and email them to you if you want.
  • Oh I was talking about photos of Suro in full-on Russian garb at SCA events.  :)

I suspect Suro would be mighty keen to see some of your historical photos though... she's been modeling a bit lately.  You should see the old Russian stove she made.
  • ooh... which one is that, dyla?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • LOL see?
  • Still working on that stove. It needs props.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Like this?

Headdress.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Are you getting anywhere on the post and pans for the stove, Suro?
  • Yes, I figured out what I was doing wrong, now I need to do some textures. And some pot-holders.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Now, that's a hell of a pot-holder! @_@
  • Ain't it though?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • I want one! It'll be useful for stuffing the kids back in the oven when they try to climb out!
  • TLike this?

The caption says "the pot holder of Baba Yaga"

This is Chinese police training, also according the caption
    Suspiro ergo sum.

• You set that up?
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Nanobot said:

Ozzfest said:

Might be ;)

Heh thanks! I joined up here a few weeks back - then got snowed under with work.  Just about reached the surface again but half expecting another avalanche.

Hope everyone here is doing ok though.

Jack! *tacklehug* We're doing OK. The usual round of projects, winter colds and whatnot going on, I guess. :)

Hahaha, business as usual then! Glad to hear it ;)

Oh Jack, I must say I love your sets, they're beautiful! Great job. I used to be a Platinum member on Daz and immediately fell in love with your carnival stuff. Amazing work!

Cheers :)
    Terre said:

Agreed, Jack's sets are great. :)

:\">

Wish I could spend more time here, but it's always a passing glance! :(
  • surochek said:

ooh... which one is that, dyla?

Which what?
    Which Convention? The Stargate TV series no idea what year it was. It was in London and had some of  the actors from the show giving interviews and I remember we watched endless episodes of the shows and there were some really tacky stands.

Which Book? It's called Historyczny Rozwoj Form Odziezy by Ewa Szyller
    Now that I've dug it out of the cupboard and looked at it, it's more of a general history of european fashion, with only a few polish variations. I must have been thinking of something else I've seen somewhere. Unless I have another book I've forgotten about  :-/
  • I'm pretty sure she meant the book. :)
  • Jack's new set looks amazing! A great looking manor, with loads of detail (as per usual) and wonderful texture work. All the separate pieces (as was discussed earlier) make it a total winner. Great job Jack!

This makes a fantastic setting for anything from Wayne Manor, Xavier's Institute, a place for Nan and my figments to hang out... loads of possibilities. :)
  • I just spotted it a few moments ago. Totally agree :)
  • Xaa said:

You set that up?

EEk!  No hhaha, I ran across it!  
  • And he has the Hall for sale in *his* store, too (jacktomalin.com).
  • Nanobot said:

And he has the Hall for sale in *his* store, too (jacktomalin.com).

Twice as good.
  • Modo 601 is out! *slobber*

http://www.luxology.com/modo/601/tour/
  • Wayii said:

Nanobot said:

And he has the Hall for sale in *his* store, too (jacktomalin.com).

Twice as good.

Yep!
  • Well, maybe not twice as good, but one and half ;) :D
  • Ozzfest said:

Well, maybe not twice as good, but one and half ;) :D

LOL Oh no, sweetie.  Twice as good.  As in real estate, location is to be considered.
  • What she said.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Thirding what Wayii said. Location, location, location. I also see that you (Jack) have other models that I never got back there on your site, so consider them bought once I get the funds, :) Your Hall is *fantastic* by the way. Trying to think of ways to turn it and the library into sci fi sets, hehehehe.

As for me, I swear I may be the most mundane one here... just little old AP, kiddie nurse, fledgling pianist and baker, trying to get back into drawing. That's it. Nothing fancy about me, :-P

That said, off I go. Have to go back to the barn tonight and need my sanity nap before heading out. I don't have access to my desktop right now so I'm using my dad's laptop, but I'll be back and rendering by this time next week.

Later, loves!
  • where to begin?

SCA : society for creative anachronism. began a long time
    ago... like ren faire only... more so.

people dress for medieval times, form clanns
    and are parts of shires, go to revels and events,
    camp in tents, bash each other with fake weapons...
    but some have real swords, so be careful...
    drink, eat, dance, sing, laugh... and generally do
    what you'd expect overnight in those situations...

i understand it still exists, likely has had to be tamed
    by now... i was in it back in the prehistoric college days,
    pre windows os, when apple was just apple.

mundanes: those people in regular clothing, in the actual
    time period they are supposed to be in. mundane from
    the latin for earth... in other words, 9 to 5 normal folk.

fen: that one i never heard, sorry...

'freaking the mundanes':

a lovely ditty sung to, 'waltzing mathilda' :)

'freaking the mundanes,
    freaking the mundanes,
    ye'll come a'freaking the mundanes with me...'

'the king is a fink', another song...

but my favorite:

'alas, my love, you do me dirt,
    you've sewn green sleeves to my purple shirt.
    but then ye've done e'en worse that that,
    ye've gone and made me wear it!

oh! oh, what a terrible fate,
    to be seen at events in the pitiful state.
    oh, how i wish i could be late,
    six or seven years after it's over!'...

it continued with improved verses...

ok, that was remedial SCA 101 for the day... ;)

~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Re SCA  I don't know what we call it, but we have those kinds of societies in the UK and even here in Malta. I used to work with a guy who went off to dress in a suit of armour and take part in a melee every weekend. Even in a nerdy IT department he used to get ribbed something chronic as he kept his hair very long and loose until they bought in a new dress code and he was told to tie it back or cut it off :lol:
    In the UK they have all kinds of re-enactment/living history societies; vikings, medieval, tudor/elizabethan, civil war (english that is). Some living history groups take bus loads of kids for the day to teach them about history.
    In Malta the re-enactment societies are mostly for the french revolution period. There are also some Knight templar guards and British colonial 'guards' who re-enact a gun salute every day for the tourists, but guess that's not quite the same thing.
    I used to make and hire fancy dress and historical costumes. I loved making them and even did some work for the local amateur theatre but for some reason I never liked dressing up and wearing them myself!
  • @ladyfur: LOL Rewritten songs can be a blast. THanks for the post. :)
  • Never quite sure where the boundary between SCA and LARPing is drawn, some one care to spare me a thought on that?

• SCA is historical recreation -- not reenactment of any specific events, but "life in the modern middle ages," ie recreation of the medieval life without the bad sides like the plague and bad hygiene :P

SCA also insists on as good a historical research as any one can, and a lot of competitions and displays are judged for their historical value. So it's like historical fiction with solid research.

LARPing is like live-action DD, or a fantasy based world. I'm not very familiar with it. Anyone?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

LARPing is like live-action DD, or a fantasy based world. I'm not very familiar with it. Anyone?

LARP is an acronym for Live Action Role Playing.  Pretty much groups of people take their RPGs into live action, dressing up as their characters and acting out their games instead of just sitting around a table with dice, manuals, junk food and Mountain Dew. 

I've seen people LARP everything from Paranoia to Vampire: the Masquerade.  It's really fun to watch at conventions.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!