3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
  • Fanks. Mikimoto it's not, but I like it. :D
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • I'd wear it.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Oh, wow.  Far better than anything I've seen as freebies, Nan. Definitely keep that one.  Have you tried a black pearl? *grin*  That's something I've tried and failed miserably on.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Ohhh. Actually, I could try a shader like that. I have some Tahitian pearl earrings myself...

Say, the jewelry's over in the M4 resources now. And since it's separate rights and lefts, it could easily fit on other characters with a bit of fiddling. ;)
  • I think those would be a fantastic addition- and I already downloaded whilst I drank my coffee at home. :D If we can get that black pearl coloration I will defiitely be adding it onto my next Mikhail piece. :D
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Black pearl, I shall do it for you! :D
  • YAY!! *HUG* ....................*ahem* I mean... Nicely done. *GRIN*
  • Well, the P7 version--you have P7, right Dar?--isn't as fabulous as I could want. There's a tremendous variation in Tahitian pearls. Mine are almost dark graphite gray with a pink and green sheen, very subtle. Anyhow, y'all can fiddle with these for a bit. The p9 version uses the Essential Materials P9 package, and the p7 is a variation on Jim's recipe--not a direct copy.

Tahitian_pearl_MT5.zip
  • I do, and I will need to install it. Thank you so much for doing that. I shall twiddle and hopefully soon have something worthy of posting. XD You are quite generous, doll!
  • GRIM said:

I do, and I will need to install it. Thank you so much for doing that. I shall twiddle and hopefully soon have something worthy of posting. XD You are quite generous, doll!

I love spoiling my friends. :D   *hugs* Happy valentine's day!
  • HAPPY V-DAY! ::ga-rin:: Good thing for Mark he had his shots. ::smirk! hug!::
  • Happy Valentine's Day!  Hope y'all had a comfy, nice one.
  • Korean-inspired stir-fry came out well and was appreciated. Mom was exceptionally quiet and uncomplaining. Girls didn't try to start too much of a row, and my little handmade, pop-up valentine was enjoyed. Yep, comfy family valentine all around, in spite of all the hacking and coughing. 24 years together. If feels good.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Awww!  *hug*  
  • Sounds perfect! :)
  • Spent Valentines Day with my family.  Parents got engaged on that day 60 years ago.  Awwww <3

I want to model something for an anniversary invitation but not sure what I want to make.  Maybe a champagne bottle and glass.  Have plenty of time since the wedding anniversary's not until June.
  • Excellent idea. :)
  • Elynda said:

Spent Valentines Day with my family.  Parents got engaged on that day 60 years ago.  Awwww <3

I want to model something for an anniversary invitation but not sure what I want to make.  Maybe a champagne bottle and glass.  Have plenty of time since the wedding anniversary's not until June.

Maybe incorporating a lot of white and sparkly stuff, since 60 is the diamond anniversary....
  • Cool idea, Wayii.
  • That's sweet!!
  • That is a good idea. Nice addition to the theme, Wayii!
  • Nanobot said:

Tsk, tsk. Look what Jack didn't post here. Shame! Because it's astonishing. Got it in his newsletter, which just arrived.

Remember, this is NOT my work (I could only dream). Jack Tomalin is making this bit of luxury.

I have a pretty lady that would fit right in that room :)
     http://dylazuna.deviantart.com/art/Pineapple-Portrait-285804108
  • You DO have a lovely lady for this room! Wonderful. That's very pretty, thank you for sharing her. :D
  • Nanobot said:

You DO have a lovely lady for this room! Wonderful. That's very pretty, thank you for sharing her. :D

Thank you!

As a side note, and since this is the Makin' Stuff thread, I made her gown using Marvelous Designer, so I could make clothes if anyone wants something. It works like real life pattern cutting. Only problem is I can create an object file with a UV map but don't have clue how to rig it, although I think some people have used the Poser cloth room whatever that does. Sorry not a Poser user, but I know a lot of you are. For myself, I don't need rigging since I just pose my character in DAZ export to MD2, drape the cloth and reimport the object to DAZ. Kind of works like dynamic posing. But obviously freebies would work better for being rigged :)
  • Thanks for the offer dylazuna. As for the cloth room, as far as I have worked out, if the whole mesh is one object, where each pattern piece is really connected (I.e. vertices are welded together, if that is the right expression) then it should not be a problem to use in poser and no rigging would be required. Rigging really is only necessary for conforming clothes from what I understand because they have bones which tell the clothing to behave in line with the "skeleton" of the figure wearing them. The poser cloth room works on the basis of collision of skin and fabric surfaces to guide the deformation.

• dylazuna said:

Nanobot said:

You DO have a lovely lady for this room! Wonderful. That's very pretty, thank you for sharing her. :D

Thank you!

As a side note, and since this is the Makin' Stuff thread, I made her gown using Marvelous Designer, so I could make clothes if anyone wants something. It works like real life pattern cutting. Only problem is I can create an object file with a UV map but don't have clue how to rig it, although I think some people have used the Poser cloth room whatever that does. Sorry not a Poser user, but I know a lot of you are. For myself, I don't need rigging since I just pose my character in DAZ export to MD2, drape the cloth and reimport the object to DAZ. Kind of works like dynamic posing. But obviously freebies would work better for being rigged :)

Rigging's usually pretty simple.  If you have a project that you want rigged, poke at me.  If I've got the time, I'll give it a shot.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Ah thanks for the explanation Raetjor, that kind of makes sense of how Poser users seem to find MD2 outfits easier to work with. Although it's not really a big deal to use MD2 to pose an outfit, just a little long winded.

As far as I understand the process, the mesh is a single object with welded vertices ( at least I always check the weld seams box :) )

Thanks for offering to help with the rigging Xaa. I just assumed that if someone wanted an outfit it would need to be 'rigged' but from what Raetjor says, perhaps that isn't necessary if you're a poser user.

• Nope, Poser users have a choice. We can used conformed clothing that is rigged or dynamic cloth--or a hybrid.
  • dyla, that is a beautiful render you made. i really like how soft and realistic she is, as well as romantic. i with there were more renders like that of females on daz... great job. :)
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • so here are a few thoughts I've had, and would like to get some feedback on from those that understand poser node stuff and how materials work.
    I was wondering about how to make a decent ice texture that has the gloss and cloudyness of real ice. In my head the sss node should be able to help with that by plugging it into a cloud texture that is generated within poser. Iwould also plug the same cloud texture into the transparency channel to have varying degrees of transparency in the ice. Now, my guess would be i should also plug a gloss or blinn node into the alternate(?) specularity channel.
    Do these ruminations make sense to you, given that I have no idea what I'm talking about really...
  • First thing you'll have to do is find a picture of what you want, because ice doesn't have one appearance.  It varies based on how the ice was formed, how quickly it froze, what kind of impurities are in it, whether or not it's floating in water or sitting on dry ground, and so on.
  • Xaa said:

First thing you'll have to do is find a picture of what you want, because ice doesn't have one appearance.  It varies based on how the ice was formed, how quickly it froze, what kind of impurities are in it, whether or not it's floating in water or sitting on dry ground, and so on.

The iPad's limitations won't let me upload it but a google search for "ice+cloudy" produced a pic showing the difference between cloudy and completely clear ice cubes, the cloudy one is closest to what I thought about, even though it does not quite match it. I was thinking more of something milky blue, almost like marble.
  • I'll see what I can do.
  • Hmmm...  This render will take a bit, apparently.
  • Hmmm...  I don't think the ice shaders I have are going to be what you want, they're not really realistic enough.

ice.png
    600 x 600 - 557K
  • Thanks for looking into it, Jim. That was very good of you, but don't worry it was more a theoretical thing than a pressing need for a shader right now that made me ask. Your efforts are much appreciated, however.

I have a further question, which relates to the topic of vascularity that was discussed a few weeks back. Using displacement maps to make the veins protrude is one thing, how though does one get them to shine through the skin in theire lovely blue?
  • You can edit the skin texture using the bump-map as a mask so it has blue lines, that's the easiest way.
  • There is a procedural over at Renderosity that does glacial ice rather nicely. I have it, but can't find it and darned if I could find it over there. It came in a pack of stuff that had other interesting (and some odd) procedurals with it.

If I ever find it again, I will post the link here.
  • This is an M3 boiler suit of sorts, by request from GoldenThrush--and what I was working on yesterday, so you know why more pretty pictures didn't appear.

3-4-2012 8-26-32 PM.jpg
    818 x 898 - 104K
  • * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
  • You do realize how retardedly good that is so far, right? 
  • ladyfur said:

dyla, that is a beautiful render you made. i really like how soft and realistic she is, as well as romantic. i with there were more renders like that of females on daz... great job. :)

Thank you :)
  • Wayii said:

You do realize how retardedly good that is so far, right? 

What? The boiler suit? Or were you speaking to me?
  • Yes, the boiler suit.
  • Yes yes!  :D
  • Nanobot said:

That's the one. Thanks.
  • Nanobot said:

This is an M3 boiler suit of sorts, by request from GoldenThrush--and what I was working on yesterday, so you know why more pretty pictures didn't appear.

For some reason the boiler suit makes me think of Winston Smith :)
  • Well, the boiler suit will do for going on with. It's not nearly properly baggy--but that would be best as a dynamic item, anyhow, and this will be conforming. I'm about ready to start UV mapping, after I get the pockets sorted out.

Last night, spent a while finishing the UV mapping on the little set I've done, a "window seat" interior. Very simple exercise, really. Found some modeling issues that I need to address, is all...and some bits that seem to have gotten exploded (sort of) along the way. OK, I'm not really finished...

I'm improving! I only have to do everything six times instead of sixteen times!
  • Been working on a little room setting for a while. And while it's no big wheeze, it presented some challenges in modeling that I was going to overcome if it killed me. The textures are dreadfully basic, but the darned thing is pretty well mapped and shouldn't be a problem to adjust.  The window sides open and close, and the little latch thingie works, too.The window hardware is not correct...I sort of gave up on my research there. image Which I am not proud of. I made it a figure so you can hide and show parts easily (Visible or not in the parameters window) and it will move all together.

A Danie/Marforno chair and tree, for scale.

window-seat-test1.jpg
    718 x 852 - 89K

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!