3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
  • Xaa said:

Now you just need a Br'er Rabbit.

Or a maddened Linux coder, one.

* A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • LOL!
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Poseable handcuffs AND a key. Done but not packaged. Note: I modeled these after the ones I have, which work but are probably not, uh, police issue.

handcuffs.png
    600 x 600 - 125K
  • My, that was fast. Here they are! Clicky the picture to download.

Poseable Handcuffs
    ZIP file, 858KB

You know you've been needing some truly poseable handcuffs, right? Here they are! And they're free! Shiny steel Poser procedural textures, but also UV mapped with a template, if you want to texture and customize further. A key prop is included as well. The swing arms open and close, the little switches move, and the two bases are linked by not only modeled links but an IK chain to make them easy to pose. This fully-rigged set will be a joy forever. Don't lose the key and remember your safe word!

As usual, install to your Poser folder and it will fluff out into the correct Cool Tuna folders.

handcuffs.jpg
    300 x 300 - 38K
  • Texture 1 is done. Black leather boot with detailing, using displacement.

The heel was pretty good, but I want to do something with the sole, I think. At least, for the other tan version I have planned. :)

Click for a MUCH bigger view of the details.

m4boots_lt.jpg
    1811 x 1162 - 57K
  • PS. The boots pretty much rock. I did have the same issue that I always have with M4 footwear, which is getting the damn heel to be flat while the foot arches and the metatarsals lay flat at the front. I always get one floating a bit or clipping into the floor. Not your fault. Just seems to either be my inability to do this in Poser or Poser itself. 

Either way, that has no bearing on how great these turned out, Nan! :D
  • I tried to model that puppy with the heels down, I really did. And they still float. >_<

I'll have to see if there's a way to get it right. I have a feeling the figure's feet are a bit wonky, same as the hands.
  • That texture looks fabu! I think the lines you added are a teensy bit high up (the one crossing the instep and the zipper), but the little hole details? Beauty.
  • I will have second look. I did base it on the original image, but I may have got it wrong.
  • Yeah, I looked at the original, too, to check. Really, there was no way that there could be totally awesomely rectangular left-right/up-down gridwork over that instep, and it is a bit funky looking on the UV map although made of quads, so some experimentation is inevitable. At least it's as un-distorted as I could make it.

Also, the "zipper" is geometry laid over the "upper" and you could, I suppose, remove it without removing the zipper pull (more geometry) and doing it the way you want. :)
  • Upon looking at it again, I see what you mean in relation to the zipper, but I wasn't really going for the 'exact' look of the original boot I gave you as reference. I'll scooch it down a smidge, but the zipper thing doesn't bug me. I just wanted the look of the grooves and 'panels', in a relative facsimile. ;)

The UVs seem pretty good to me. I mean, there's always a bit of distortion. I'm pretty satisfied with how this came out, so small tweak and I'll move on to other versions.
  • What  is weird is that the reference (I just looked again) has two zippers. One on the outside (the one in the image is not the instep, oddly) and if you look at the top, there is another one on the inside. I have boots like that too. Guess I just didn't notice it until now. :D

Not to worry, it makes way more sense (and is far more common) to have one on the inside of the foot.
  • Hmm... now that I am more awake, I think the grooves are waaaaay too deep. Fixing that now. Also moving the vertical cuts forward. That should help too. :)
  • I saw the double zippers, and decided not to, yeah. Design decision to make it a little more generically useful. That reference has a lot of panels, too! Which didn't at all go with the mesh, sadly, which has a fairly fixed kind of topology being that one starts from the sole, moves upward and joins what is basically a cylinder running down the leg to the ankle

I see why a lot of simple Poser shoes look like Earth Shoes, strongly foot shaped, They did NOT like having their toe pointed!
  • ATTENTION! I have updated the M4 Dress Boots file with a morph to the Body part that bends the instep down a bit. It may help with the floating soles issue.

UPDATED FILE: http://www.cooltuna.com/assets/downloads/M4-Dress-Boots.zip
  • This redo is looking better. Sadly, my cold is impeding progress. Sinus headache + cough do not make it easy to do fiddly work! :\
  • This redo is looking better. Sadly, my cold is impeding progress. Sinus headache + cough do not make it easy to do fiddly work! :\

*hug* I'm so sorry about that damn cold. Of course it's not helping.
  • Wow, thank you!  LT, absolutely freakin' awesome.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Texture update! Made the holes a bit smaller, redid the grooves to make the 'panels' of the shoe more sensible and adjusted the displacement too.

boots2.jpg
    1811 x 1162 - 93K
  • That's awesome. They feel like leather. All through the screen.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Thanks! I'm quite happy with the detailing now. On to the brown and tan versions. :)
  • I LOVE those! I now want a pair-for meeee. XD
  • They are works of art.
  • THe first part of a weight map tutorial for Poser Pro 2012 is up. http://poserplace.phantom3d.net/forums/viewtopic.php?uid=134&f=47&t=270&start=0
  • Thank you, Terre! :D
  • Welcome. That came from FGPlus.net. Hopefully when they get the replacement site going the people who have been posting those links will keep it up. :)
  • Here's a brown version. :)

brownboots.jpg
    1811 x 1162 - 82K
  • LT, those are awesome.  Your texture work is really well done.
  • Yeah, LT's pretty spectacular with that thing, ain't he? :D
  • Nanobot said:

Yeah, LT's pretty spectacular with that thing, ain't he? :D

Already, he's better than I am.  >.< 
  • Wayii said:

Nanobot said:

Mind you, I've seen you texture some really nightmarish templates. Beowulf comes to mind...
  • Nanobot said:

Wayii said:

Nanobot said:

Mind you, I've seen you texture some really nightmarish templates. Beowulf comes to mind...

Beowulf was the one that beat me.  >.<  I couldn't get a commercial grade set out of it (and neither could anyone else -- including the folks who went ahead and sold textures for that beast anyway).  The UV work and stretching were SO bad that it made me add the proviso "if I have the time and the UV isn't too gnarly, I'll probably do it."  It was also the very last Uzilite outfit that I ever finished texturing.

That being said, I'm the sort of person who can look at superior work and happily admit it's superior -- then buy or download it and go use it myself.  Unlike a lot of texture artists I've known, I'm overjoyed to find stuff someone else has done that's up to my requirements -- it's work I don't feel like I have to do to make something good enough for my compositions.  Seeing LT's recent work has been an exercise in awesome! for me. 

We need more superlative texture artists in the community.  Like mesh artists, while there are a lot of them out there, there's a distinct rarity of truly good ones to be found. 

And I think it's amusing as fuckall that this place seems to be attracting and birthing some superior content artists.  It's like the Lancaster of the Poser community LOL!

• Aw, thanks Wayii. But what Nan said... you do the tough stuff. Everything I've done so far has been super simple. Nan has done a great job on the UVs, so it makes my job very easy!
  • Lancaster? Goodness, I miss that reference, but not it's spirit. If we succeed in helping artists of ANY stripe grow and thrive, I feel my life will have been well-lived, and I shall be satisfied.
  • This place is like an old-fashioned art school/community/guild... you name it. We live here, we stew here, we occasionally go away to make money, and then we come back to create and learn from each other. Some are monsters of creativity and production, some are mice dropping the occasional work, but everyone thrives.

And has fun.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

This place is like an old-fashioned art school/community/guild... you name it. We live here, we stew here, we occasionally go away to make money, and then we come back to create and learn from each other. Some are monsters of creativity and production, some are mice dropping the occasional work, but everyone thrives.

And has fun.

Lancaster, PA is home to a LOT of simple, plainspoken, highly skilled craftsmen.  Some of the very best furniture and leather goods come from up there.  And there are a lot of Amish and Menonite communities out that way... 
  • Texture three - tan. I think these may be my favourite.

tanboots.jpg
    1811 x 1162 - 120K
  • Any other suggestions for colours? These are the usuals... Not sure what else I can do... 
  • Those look fantastic, :D Are these all procedurals or do they include texture maps? 

As for suggestions... hmmm... deep red? Black and white wing tips like spectator shoes? Purple! Of course, I'm kidding about that last one, :-P What about white? 
  • Hmm... white leather always proves difficult, but I can give it a go. 

I did a two-tone grey that looks okay...

greyboots.jpg
    1811 x 1162 - 101K
  • Oh, to answer your questions, these are texture maps. No real procedurals to speak of.

That said, it's pretty easy to affect changes to them to add the two tone effect, you just add some darkness to the diffuse tint. Want more reflectivity? Bump up the values for the specular value/highlight size. Etc. It's all fairly straightforward.
  • Oh, I like the grey a lot! Very nice. 

And thanks for the answer and tips, ^_^
  • White is looking not so bad... More like a well-worn-white. I always find pure white a bit jarring.

I left the tip a bit grey, but that can easily be tweaked back to white (see above).

whiteboot.jpg
    1811 x 1162 - 129K
  • And here is it fully white.

I think it's time to move on to another texture... might try to do a version with a more fine leather.

• Very good looking. :)
  • Sweet! Those are awesome. :D   You *did* have the zipper image in the bump map, but not in the texture? I sent one in the pack.
  • I think it was always there? I'm not really sure what you mean though...
  • Is very faint, or I am fairly blind, take your pick. image

Edit: In the textures I had in the package, there actually was a zipper picture for the "zipper" geometry. I kind of don't really see the picture on your work, but I can see a bump that looks sort of like it.

Was just wondering.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!