3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Welcome to the (Concrete) Jungle
  • Hey, folks.

Wayii, I'm so sorry. I hope that gets seen to and quickly. My whole head hurts just thinking about that.

I was given oxycodone post-surgery and that was a surprisingly un-high experience--EXCEPT that all my aches stopped. Wheeee! Now I know why it's addictive. I didn't hurt for a change.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Wayii said:

All of the heavy duty painkillers are nasty.

You can say that again... which is beyond me how some of my patients (not the kids, I still have to work with adults some times...) ask for it every four hours (the soonest we can give it) as well as *morphine* in between. And we have to give it to them. Sucks. 

I've never had to take any of the heavy duty stuff (thank God...), not even when I broke my arm in two places, so I really don't know how I'd react, but I sympathize. I try to avoid my prescription migraine meds for the same reason... that stuff is nasty... takes the headache away but screws everything else.
  • Gentle hugs for Wayii and I hope for a prompt solution.

I hate taking meds too. The only thing that will make me take heavy duty painkillers on schedule is in fact tooth pain. The rest I can usually handle. Motrin works on the rest.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • @Wayii:  My deepest sympathies.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Nanobot said:

I was given oxycodone post-surgery and that was a surprisingly un-high experience--EXCEPT that all my aches stopped. Wheeee! Now I know why it's addictive. I didn't hurt for a change.

It's actually addictive because it's mechanism of action is similar to morphine, but it doesn't get you high in low doses because it primarily affects a different set of pain receptors.  However, withdrawal symptoms from oxycodone are very often wretched.
  • Xaa said:

Nanobot said:

It's actually addictive because it's mechanism of action is similar to morphine, but it doesn't get you high in low doses because it primarily affects a different set of pain receptors.  However, withdrawal symptoms from oxycodone are very often wretched.

Noted. I got off it as soon as possible, to be safe. Nonetheless, being pain-free was nice for a change.
  • I was on Vicaden for a few days for a tooth problem and quickly discovered that I needed to get by with just aspirin before and during working hours and take the strong stuff after work. To this day I could swear that I did the cigarette order correctly, but I made a mistake that I remember consciously trying to avoid making. That was weird.
  • Mmm, me too.  We really have to concentrate on what we're keying and I can't if I'm drugged up.  Of course the pain sometimes gets my brain all fuzzy too.
  • Calling all postworkers!
     Ron's Brushes are 50% off at DAZ today thru Feb 16.
  • Happy Valentine's Day!

Home-made sugar-free minty dark chocolate is cooling. :)
    Should be ready to eat before I need to go back to work tonight.
  • Nanobot said:

Calling all postworkers!

O.O!!! *Exit, Stage Left!! Right Even!*
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Nanobot said:

Calling all postworkers!

If one doesn't have any yet, what are some good ones to start with?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • If you do a lot of blood in postwork- those.  Scratches, fog, steam, smoke, rain, the birds for outdoor scenes.  For design the pinstripes and flourishes.  I could go on. :D
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Steam and smoke are truly indispensible. Fog is wonderful. I think this new smoke is going to be very good.

Splatters Drips & Wash! Flames!

His Bokeh are well worth it. So is Particles. Splashes of any sort are good.

If you do any grunge, you might look into those, too.

http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/artistlist?artist=486918#1

But if you do magicky things, you might like not only Angel Dust, but something from Rendo by Designfera:
    Plasma flames and energy spheres.

Designfera has some good brushes, as do Mystikel and Patslash.
  • Basically, I have never regretted spending money on Ron's  brushes or whatever.
  • Well, I'll see if I can come up with some funds. Right now, I'm done with writing a lecture and I'm pooped.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • The only problem with Ron's brushes is I can't open them in Elements.  :P  BUT WAIT.  Now I know people who CAN open them into layers that aren't the fancy layers of PS!  *plots*
  • *Squint* Can't you use the png files that come with them? Hm. Heck, I just went through the listing of all of his brushes I have....and let me say. I need about six or seven more- maybe - and I have them all. XD
  • He did start putting the PNG files with them at one point--very thoughtful.  Some of them use Photoshop dynamic brushes--steam and smoke and bokeh do. But those are not all they are or even required.
  • The only problem with Ron's brushes is I can't open them in Elements.  :P  BUT WAIT.  Now I know people who CAN open them into layers that aren't the fancy layers of PS!  *plots*

And you DO know people who have Photoshop. ;)
  • Ah, the midweek midday lull.... *pulls out the tumbleweeds and sets them rolling around the forum*

• Lol! just got in from lunch-off to my two and a half hours long meeting. ;) *snags a 'weed to take with!* think if I shake this over someone's head I'll get a cowboy? *grin!*
  • lunch! coffee!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Lunch! Diet Coke! Three phone calls at once, all terribly urgent!

Man, nobody calls me for days on end. Then all at once! I wish they'd space it out a bit more.
  • GRIM said:

Lol! just got in from lunch-off to my two and a half hours long meeting. ;) *snags a 'weed to take with!* think if I shake this over someone's head I'll get a cowboy? *grin!*

Cowboy??  Total cultural reference fail, here.
  • Tumbleweed -> West -> Cowboy -> eye candy at the very least.

Well, that's what I get.

And *pout*. My Nook refuses to load books.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • OH. I thought maybe he was referring to either a cigarette or some other sort of weed....duhr.

Yep, cowboy eyecandy is called for! Ooh. That's an eye-dea.  >.>
  • PS - what good is a Nook that's bibliophobic?
  • It seems to be throwing a cyber-tantrum. I need to get it home to check the network connections. Or force-feed it some bytes.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Well, poop. Reboot!
  • Nanobot said:

OH. I thought maybe he was referring to either a cigarette or some other sort of weed....duhr.

Yep, cowboy eyecandy is called for! Ooh. That's an eye-dea.  >.>

Purty much! Shake a weed, pollen and seeds fall out and POOF! Insta-cowboy.
    Kinda like Tink and Peter Pan makin' the kids fly...sorta...kinda...eh. XD Y'got the idea!

WHERE IS EVERYONE TODAY?!? *lipquiver*
  • Being lazy on account that husband is taking over my classes tomorrow.

And tea. Have to have tea.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

Being lazy on account that husband is taking over my classes tomorrow.

And tea. Have to have tea.

Harumph. *Sprawl* That's ok. XD I just thought I'd toss a whine out there. Jus' for a few seconds, anyway. The hypothosis was that I would eventually find cheese to go with it, but the experimentation period has been a failure. *Chuckle* M'gonna go home tonight and work on several things and see if I can straighten a few things out on my HD. There's so much that needs re-filed on the external it may take days.

And is there a way I can disable the automatic draft saving thing?? It locks my entire computer up every time it saves....................it's making me want to kill eet.
  • Hah. I need to clean up both my HD too. Any recommendations for a good, reliable, idiot-proof, no-learning-curve, easy-button, preferably free duplicate-checker utility?

I know, I know, I'm not asking for much...

Suspiro ergo sum.
  • O.o Um. >.> ...........^.^..............<.<........O.o Not that I know of? *grin!* What's the point in not asking?! You never know, right?
  • surochek said:

Hah. I need to clean up both my HD too. Any recommendations for a good, reliable, idiot-proof, no-learning-curve, easy-button, preferably free duplicate-checker utility?

No idea, here.
  • GRIM said:

And is there a way I can disable the automatic draft saving thing?

It's a javascript that's part of the forum setup. Nan can disable it (maybe), but if she can't, use Firefox, download "No Script", and block javascript for the forum.
  • Ok so a question for any of the tablet (for photoshop) users, did your photoshop ever just randomly stop recognizing pen pressure? I had to rest my arm for a month due to a pinched nerve, and when I plugged in my tablet today to start doing some hair, I noticed whenever I turn on pen pressure it no longer gives me a nice smooth line, but a splotchy, horridly ugly line. Anyone have this happen before? Nan, anyone? I've googled my problem and others have had problems with the pen pressure in cs4, but nothing quite like this.
  • surochek said:

Hah. I need to clean up both my HD too. Any recommendations for a good, reliable, idiot-proof, no-learning-curve, easy-button, preferably free duplicate-checker utility?

http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Duplicate-File-Finder/3000-2248_4-10964299.html?tag=mncol;7

I've used it. It's not bad.
  • Ok so a question for any of the tablet (for photoshop) users, did your photoshop ever just randomly stop recognizing pen pressure? I had to rest my arm for a month due to a pinched nerve, and when I plugged in my tablet today to start doing some hair, I noticed whenever I turn on pen pressure it no longer gives me a nice smooth line, but a splotchy, horridly ugly line. Anyone have this happen before? Nan, anyone? I've googled my problem and others have had problems with the pen pressure in cs4, but nothing quite like this.

Have you tried updating your tablet driver?  I had to do that once after a photoshop update.
  • Xaa said:

GRIM said:

And is there a way I can disable the automatic draft saving thing?

It's a javascript that's part of the forum setup. Nan can disable it (maybe), but if she can't, use Firefox, download "No Script", and block javascript for the forum.

True that I don't have that issue on Firefox, true also that I can't download *anything* onto this computer for *any*reason due to company policy. The rules and regulations are very strict. *Shrug* Eh, it was a hope.
    As for the pen pressure thing, I have CS5e and haven't had that issue as of yet. I do update the drivers as much as I can for certain things to keep everything running. With how old that comp is, it isn't always smooth but at least it still runs. :)
  • GRIM said:

True that I don't have that issue on Firefox, true also that I can't download *anything* onto this computer for *any*reason due to company policy.

Talk to your IT department (or whoever is in charge of that in your organization) and ask them if it's alright for you to use FF with NoScript at work for better computer security when browsing the web.

See? It's all in how you spin it. ;-)
  • Elynda said:

Ok so a question for any of the tablet (for photoshop) users, did your photoshop ever just randomly stop recognizing pen pressure? I had to rest my arm for a month due to a pinched nerve, and when I plugged in my tablet today to start doing some hair, I noticed whenever I turn on pen pressure it no longer gives me a nice smooth line, but a splotchy, horridly ugly line. Anyone have this happen before? Nan, anyone? I've googled my problem and others have had problems with the pen pressure in cs4, but nothing quite like this.

Have you tried updating your tablet driver?  I had to do that once after a photoshop update.

Yes indeed, I ended up wiping Wacom off my system, then reinstalling just the core drivers, skipping all that useless adobe air and bamboo dock shite, and voila, problem solved! thanks! all that time I was cussing cs4 out and it was Wacom
  • I know that sometimes the brush settings get funky and you need to go and return roundness, scattering, and that sort of thing to defaults.

Now, I've had the pressure-sensitive pen stop being pressure-sensitive. Then I pick up my mouse, click, then pick up the pen, and we're back in business.

Wacom actually includes a utility on install that will wipe the preferences file. That's all you gotta do if it persists.
  • PS - mind you, I don't have Bamboo. I have an Intuous 4 and the smaller Cintiq.
  • Dar, hon, I don't know about the drafts. I can't see a setting for it on the Admin dashboard. :(  I really don't know why it locks up your machine! Unless mine have a clock speed way, way faster than yours...the draft thing only takes about a second.  Wah! :(

• I don't know either, because except to confuse me by dropping drafts here and there when I don't remember starting posts, it really doesn't bother my machine, and it's nowhere in Nan's monster's league.

... I must have allowed all scripts to run on this site...
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • @Nan:  Whoever coded the "popups" for Vanilla?  Total dumbass.  Each check for a popup, which happens every minute or two, spawns a new java process thread.  However, Windows only allots a certain number of threads for Java to use, so if you leave your browser open all the time...  Well, eventually, java runs out of process threads.  Stupid.  I ended up disabling the popup notifications.
  • Xaa said:

GRIM said:

True that I don't have that issue on Firefox, true also that I can't download *anything* onto this computer for *any*reason due to company policy.

Talk to your IT department (or whoever is in charge of that in your organization) and ask them if it's alright for you to use FF with NoScript at work for better computer security when browsing the web.

See? It's all in how you spin it. ;-)

See, I thought of that as well.  However, with our regulations and SOP's, I'd have to submit what they call an SRM for a ticket to be submitted.  Hope they agree to it.  Then this is something they'd have to allow all across the board and with the important crap they still have on hold due to the pile of SRM's still in the works?  It'd be a year before they'd give me a no.  Eh. I'll deal.  No worries. :D  The system at work, I don't know how old it is, really.  Thanks for the tip, Jim.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!