3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
  • OHhhhhh.... yeah, I hadn't done anything with that. I'll go back and feex. :)

I forgot. In some cases I got lazy with my masking, so it would show up in the bump. >.>

:D
  • I remember seeing that on the template. I was going to work on a displacement for that, but wanted to test that upper first.

I like the black textures, LT, a great deal as well as the white believe it or not. :D Call it remnants of my clubbing days when I channeled Bowie.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • I'm sorry to peck at an otherwise really lovely chunk of work! I was so enamored of the rest of it I just didn't see it myself until just now. image
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • You aren't pecking- and we lurves ya, so even if you were. Forgiven! :-bd
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Not to worry. I just didn't see it. I tend to leave those fiddly bits alone, but I didn't realize it was not a separate element than the zipper material in the material room. I should have, but I blame the snot infesting my brain. >.>

mmmmyep.

• Yeah, that little picture is a bit that maps ONTO the zipper material. UV maps are funny that way. It still hurts mah tiny brain, and I use that to advantage. You can either not point the material zone at the mapped texture and use a procedural, or you can do so--and because there are different mat zones, you can EVEN use a variety of maps. Like, use the upper from your white map and the toe and heel from your black map. Nifty, huh? So you wouldn't have to create a new map to do a black-and-white version--just for instance.
  • Oh, I know that. I was playing around with that last night. I did a grey and tan version, which wasn't very nice looking. >_<

I'll fix da zippers and then give the files to you to zip up for the peeps here and over at Rendo.

• Yay! That would be Stylin' !
  • Oh, I know that. I was playing around with that last night. I did a grey and tan version, which wasn't very nice looking. >_<

I think gray and tan is one of those combos that looks good on cars but not so much on clothing. They're too much alike, maybe?

You know what I'd like? As a teeny favor? Some oxblood (very dark red) fine calf-leather ones, with the traditional holes that you do. I could get some REALLY swell combos out of that!
  • And now I've got some Goth boots, per New Rock, on the drawing table and was very, very careful about that sole. The toes do curl up a bit in shoes (see any shoe pic online) but I made damn sure the stupid heel hit flat solidly under a normal foot pose. I hope the hell this works.

But right now... I want to artify. But what?
  • I can do that. Might not be able to get to it tonight though. Work is in the way... damn making money for a living... *grumble* :\
  • For Nan... oxblood red (with zipper) ; )

oxblood_shoes.jpg
    1811 x 1162 - 76K
  • Oooooo.... Lovely color. :)
  • Ain't they purty? Seeing boots with no socks makes me laugh, however. *thinks about socks* Need second-skin socks!

Thank you for the new tutorial link!
  • Oh...Wow. LT.. I think I am lovin' this the most. Go Nan for choosing the oxblood...Go LT for making them work!
  • Nanobot said:

Ain't they purty? Seeing boots with no socks makes me laugh, however. *thinks about socks* Need second-skin socks!

Thank you for the new tutorial link!

• LOL! Surely you jest. Man, these have always been hidjous.
  • They're horrible and awesomely kitchy!  Fetishy, too, I think.  >:D
  • And funny, too.

On the other hand, modeling the garter fastenings is worth doing. One thing about making clothing, it's good to just make a bunch of fastenings ahead of time to use and reuse later. Buckles, bra strap fit things, D-rings, grommets--and garters! :D

Buttons and button hole edgings, rivets, bolts, zippers, zipper pulls...
  • Laces turned out to be fun but truly an exercise in 3-d visualization. You make a line, like a bezier curve or even just plain straight line segments--in space, not just on a plane--and then take a bitty circle and do an edge extrusion (edge? I think that's right) and voila! Tube! Add ends if you *really* need them; I didn't.

Tying a knot with line segments? I spent a good long while staring at a square knot I'd made and thinking about it.  Mah tiny brain hurts.

• Nanobot said:

I spent a good long while staring at a square knot I'd made and thinking about it.  Mah tiny brain hurts.

My brain can't process things like that by the time I get home. How can yours?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • I did it on a weekend. :)  Really, I did.
  • That oxblood is sexy.  =^_^=

Pack available soon?
  • I want to do some stuff with the bottom of the sole. Probably won't wrap it up until this weekend.

• Bottom of the sole has some bits that render odd, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. The normals are good, there isn't a huge gap between the grouped parts...dunno.

Thank you for getting to the sole. It needs to look more scuffed up, and I did a poor job of that. image
  • The Industrial New Rock style boot, it begins.

2-4-2012 6-34-17 PM.jpg
    239 x 532 - 17K
  • Yay. Oooh, jusst an idea: Can you give the right bot an extra patch just after the toe cap for motorbike riders?
  • Raet, do you have a picture reference for that? I can't visualize "a patch" very distinctly.

How about this??
    tumblr_ly7z61OfHp1qlrxcho1_400.gif
    280 x 190 - 870K
  • Nanobot said:

Raet, do you have a picture reference for that? I can't visualize "a patch" very distinctly.

In the old days (1970's, by my memory), they used to make motorcycle boots where the right toe area had an extra patch of leather.  This was so that it wouldn't wear through operating the shift lever with your toe.  Most boots sold today don't have it, and those that do are racing boots, like this:

Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • What, mortorcycles have automatic transmission too, now? *clueless*
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

What, mortorcycles have automatic transmission too, now? *clueless*

Believe it or not, yes. ;-)
  • Oh - I knew a guy who had a pair of boots that had big steel toe-caps to prevent wear from the shift lever.  This was...  Mid eighties or so.  Dunno where he got 'em, never seen ones like 'em before or since.  He was hell in fights with them.
  • GRIM said:

How about this??

There is one arm too many there... image
  • (* points at Jim's reference picture )  What he said. That's exactly what I thought of.
    Nanobot said:

GRIM said:

How about this??

There is one arm too many there... image

That is creeping me out. the shape of an ostrich, the head of a lama, and all made of arms...THat's just not right. Not even Frankenstein would have attempted to make that.
  • Xaa said:

surochek said:

What, mortorcycles have automatic transmission too, now? *clueless*

Believe it or not, yes. ;-)

The '60s Honda 90 had an automatic 3 spd, I think it was.  --Now I can't remember if it was a full manual or a semi-automatic.  I've replaced and rebuilt those for 90s and VW bugs.  Always reminded me of the internal 3 spd bike hub - works like a charm when it works, goes straight to hell in a handbasket when it doesn't.  
  • Raetjor said:

(* points at Jim's reference picture )  What he said. That's exactly what I thought of.

Good. :)
  • So, with all of this creativity going on I thought I'd try something simple- a goblet.  I have two renders here to show for it, both from C8.  If anyone wants the .obj file (no textures or shaders...I tried to make sure not to include any) it's below.
    imageimage
    goblet 2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 163K
    goblet.jpg
    800 x 600 - 197K
    goblet 2.zip
  • Heh.  Got another one done.  I'm getting the hang of these- time to try that marshmallow.   :D
    goblets.jpg
    800 x 600 - 195K
    goblet 3.zip
  • Very nice.
  • Thanks!  I'm slapping them into my sharecg collection and Rendo's freebies for the hell of it. :D

• Nice chalices, Dar! Love it.

So here's the sole of the boot done, plus a full zipper redo.. I still have to do this for the 'rest' of the boots, but the Oxblood is complete. :)

oxblood_sole.jpg
    1811 x 1162 - 51K
  • A better look. I will likely make this the PNG for the materials too.

oxblood_sole2.jpg
    1811 x 1162 - 47K
  • PS. that weirdness on the sole seems to be in the model, but as most people won't even show the bottom of the shoe, it's no biggie. :)
  • I know it's in the model, but when I have it in the modelers, I can't see anything wrong! It's not normals...(but it is abnormal) and it's not a gap in the mesh. See, good thing this is free.

Those are outstanding, LT. Wonderful job!
  • Meh. It is so minor, I am not concerned about it. As I say, the rest of the boot is great. Better than a lot of the paid stuff!
  • I might see if I can do a worn sole version. Just scuff it up a bit, for those that don't want the brand new look.
  • Yay! Scuffed up boots with wear and tear, you are a star.
  • His textures really rock. :D  *beams*

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!