3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Horror and Science Fiction
  • According to some TV stations, there's not much difference between horror and science fiction!  I could debate that.

Anyhow, I have a friend who would like to visit. Alas, poor Torgil...

[Julian is a Witch and an agent for Bureau for Paranormal Affairs, and one of Alex's 'soldiers'. Cyrus is the wizard and security chief for Carolanus, one of the vampire masters in Palmers Rest, North Carolina, where Alex lives.]

Julian: "My, this is a rare photo indeed. So, this is that vampire master that was infected--"

Cyrus: "Infested."

Julian: "Infested, then--with that Abyssal parasite--the vampire Master that was gunning for Alex when he first took up Sorrows. So, all vampires are not technophobes." *smiles at Cyrus*

Cyrus: "Certainly not! I'm also good with high-tech security systems."

Julian: "This we knew. What was this unfortunate's name?"

Cyrus: "Torgil. He was the fourth Master in Palmer's Rest for over a hundred years. Really, a nice chap until Fechí­n got hold of him. We've never been sure what worm turned, but he pointed in Garrett's direction for the reason for his allowing himself to be taken over by that horrible creature. Poor chap. Imagine going through unlife with an interdimensional gate in your middle and an Abyssal riding in your mind as well as your belly."

Julian: "Yes indeed. And Alex and destroyed Garrett after that unfortunate incident with USAMRID, so I never got to interview him."

Cyrus: "That was the time when where Garrett shopped Alex out to their secret projects group."

Julian: "To be fair, Master of Sorrows--Alex--was on our radar long before then. We were just observing at that point."

Cyrus: "Well, would you have come forward if Garett hadn't?"

Julian: "Maybe, but not so quickly. And Garrett wouldn't have been trying to get rid of Alex if he hadn't been a greedy, power-mad son-of-a-bitch vampire master, and Torgil hadn't started that ball rolling. Present company excepted, I truly loathe vampire politics."

Cyrus: "I'm not at all typical, I know. I loathe games, too. Thank goodness my boss plays them well."

Julian: "Cyrus, Carolanus is a farking Roman aristocrat. They lived for this shit. We're mere modern men."

Cyrus: "Too true. Anyhow, I'm surprised that this photo came out so well. Thought your researchers would like it for their albums. Poor Torgil. He looks so sick in this. You know what he said when Alex finally took him down, don't you?"

Julian: "Dolores and Alex told me. He said, 'Thank you' before he died the final death."

Cyrus: "Poor Torgil. I miss him--the him before that Thing started riding him."

Production notes: my M4 character with RawArt's vampire skin, using uberskin shaders by Jim Farris; StudioArtVartanian's free 19th Century dynamic coat for M4; Coflek-gnorg's Dead End set; Poisen's posable tentacles (the best!); hair and f/x added in Photoshop in post. Render in Poser Pro2012.

It's never too late for Halloween! This is a portrait of one of my villains, who turned out to be a rather interesting fellow after all.

* A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • TENTACLE BOI. *GRIN!* Even infected, he's nommable. To me...>.> *Takes a snapshot!*
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Something that Nano and I worked on a little while ago. Our first collaboration, but likely not our last. It was rather fun to share in her world.

And it was a chance to reveal a bit more about my figment, Baku.

WhenDreamsCollide_web.jpg
    1154 x 1500 - 464K
  • Also, here's a PDF with the story that goes along with it...

WhenDreamsCollide.pdf
    2M
  • Is there a sequel?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • We are planning on it. Both of us seem to be wrapped up in other projects right now. ;)
  • As long as there's one planned. At least the story! But figments would be nice, too.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Wow... I'm duly impressed and thank you both for sharing! That is just farkin' amazin' on too many levels.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • We are planning on it. Both of us seem to be wrapped up in other projects right now. ;)

Oh definitely a sequel. :D Gotta get Christmas and such out of the way at the moment...
  • I can't wait. Want to do some collaborate work myself. Might get together with Mavrosh on that front but she's had a hell of a time these last few months, so I don't know when or indeed if that will ever happen.
  • A collab with artwork I've yet to attempt. I've done collabs in writing, yes. Never artwork. *Hm* I think that's an idear! Something I haven't done yet. Challenge!
  • GRIM said:

A collab with artwork I've yet to attempt. I've done collabs in writing, yes. Never artwork. *Hm* I think that's an idear! Something I haven't done yet. Challenge!

Well, we're waiting!  :D
  • You know, we should actually make that an official challenge to work with somebody else, buddy up and teach each other sort of thing.
  • Hey! Guess what the render challenge will be for January! :D

I think I'm spoken for...LT has TWO renders he wants to do with me!  *looks at Raetjor & Grimmy* Or you can bring a friend in to play, of course.
  • Hm.  What say you Raet?  *Grin* I won't be able to do anything til after the New Year- I'm leavin' Friday, but that's an idear!!
  • And the piece that got onto RDNA's Image of the Week thing, and got me the morph set for Antonia to play with.  Demonesque.
    Demonesque Fin.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 1016K
  • Oooooh, can I play in the challenge to? I'm up for it, :) Though I guess I'm still relegated to DS3A since I haven't been able to get Poser-certified yet... it's a slow process and my runtime is NOT Poser friendly at all. But if anyone is willing to colab, so am I.
  • Oooooh, can I play in the challenge to? I'm up for it, :) Though I guess I'm still relegated to DS3A since I haven't been able to get Poser-certified yet... it's a slow process and my runtime is NOT Poser friendly at all. But if anyone is willing to colab, so am I.

Heya, AP! I have DS3A as well, but won't be able to do anything until after the new year. I'm always up for fresh meat. *Cheeky grin!* If Raet wants to join the soup- we can have a tri-challenge. XD
  • *eep*! :-P Bring it on, ;) And after the new year works for me since I'll actually be on vacation for a week.
  • *Low chucke, slow grin!* I'll remember you said that. ;)
  • Bring. It. On.

:D
  • It'll be interesting to see what the three of you come up with. :)
  • I'll have to switch to emails (my yahoo account) so I can get them on my phone. I'm ...at work. >.> Shh.

Time to slink off and look like I'm trying to accomplish something. :D
  • There are times when I'm almost jealous of those of you who have time to post from work. Not quit though. Being constantly busy is what's best for the way my mind works.

OK, that didn't come out right. Part of what I meant is that the work I do on the computer isn't the sort where you have to wait for it to complete a job and can poke in here while it does so.
  • I come in mostly during breaks, and if I have no system running during times of updates and/or breakdowns. ;) There are weeks that go by that there is NO time for me to even take a break or eat lunch much less come in.
    I do when I can, and people understand that when I can't it's for a good reason. *Chuckle* Usually, it's me not making it in. This is rare.
  • Well. We all know I work in a hospital. At nights. So no time for me either way. Besides, my hospital has a very broad blocking system on, and you only get like... about two hours quota time to browse some of the blocked sites (shopping, sports, blogs, the sort). I could go on my phone but the Sprint network is so incredibly slow... :(
  • But back to renders! Oh which I don't have any, but they'll come!
  • GRIM said:

And the piece that got onto RDNA's Image of the Week thing, and got me the morph set for Antonia to play with.  Demonesque.

awesome picture. And yeah, I'm up for doing a collaborate thing in the new year. Only problem for me is that I never understood how DS works. Guess I'm too used to poser.

• Raetjor said:

GRIM said:

And the piece that got onto RDNA's Image of the Week thing, and got me the morph set for Antonia to play with.  Demonesque.

awesome picture. And yeah, I'm up for doing a collaborate thing in the new year. Only problem for me is that I never understood how DS works. Guess I'm too used to poser.

Thank you very much!  Very cool, and I use PP as well so that's not an issue really.  We can definitely get together and brew something up. ;)  I can access the email easily by phone if you like- carriondualities@yahoo.com.  I still can't get this site to load on the damn thing.  *snort* I'll keep trying.

It's going to be a busy week for me- got loads to do before I hop on a plane Friday.  I won't be back until after the New Year, so if I can't get my phone to allow this site I won't be around until then.  Still, ya'll have my email!  If you need me, ping me there! 
  • Moved from the VN thread.image
    Speed of light.jpg
    3000 x 2400 - 3M
  • Very cool effects on that one AP! 
  • Here's something that actually got finished- figured I'd get it in before bed.  Scene 1-

The text came out of nowhere just before dusk- coordinates but not
    message. The phone had been looked at for a second with a frown before
    Jensen texted Ty's phone with a series of alpha characters that would
    not (or shouldn't be) ignored.

That message was never answered. This didn't bode well at all.

Jensen took a half-hour packing a bag before it was tossed into his
    trunk and he reluctantly headed away from the safe house to do the one
    thing he's drilled into Ty's head. "Never go alone."

Rule 1. It's about to be broken.

Coming to a stop when he found the coordinates he sighed as he cut the
    engine. Great. Grandview Psychiatric Hospital. This was getting
    better and better.

It took a couple of minutes to gear up, take out the crossbow and snap
    the trunk lid shut. The flashlight had already been taped to the top of
    it (it was quieter than a pistol, and in this place silence was your
    ally) and snapped on when he opened the double doors and headed on
    inside.

Up the main steps and around the corner found him faced with another set
    of doors amid debris, graffiti, and what looked like dried blood
    smeared on almost all the walls around him. The sigh was heavy as he
    toed the door open and slipped into the long hall at the other side of
    it.

"Heeeeeere kitty, kitty, kitty." The murmur was to himself in the
    middle of the heavy silence. Someone's gotta have a sense of humor in
    this situation.

hunting.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 486K
  • Hm. Does anyone have two cents to throw at this one before I go for scene 2? *Head tip* Meh. I've got more lighting to work with, he's going to be going down a rabbit hole soon. Ebil Darkness!
  • It's all a bit hard to make out. Even in dark scenes you want to highlight 'something'. Right now I'd recommend highlighting his face so we can see it (think kickback from the flashlight) and then getting just a bit more of a bright kick light behind him to outline his form just a touch more than it is. Dark scenes are not easy, but I always make it a rule that if you must be able to see what's happening fairly clearly – dark images cannot be just plain hard to make out or it doesn't really convey much of anything. :)

I picked out some imagery from the master of darkness, Guillermo Del Toro. The first is from 'Mimic', the other one is from Pan's Labyrinth. Notice how, even though it reads as a 'dark' scene, you still can make out all the important details. 

Mimic-4.jpg
    500 x 275 - 23K
    pans-labyrinth-two-disc-edition-20070511043158182-000.jpg
    460 x 259 - 76K
  • I posted a long version of this before, but if it helps, here's the short version of night/darkness shots:

Blue spotlights pointed at important parts in the scene.

Deep shadows everywhere else.

Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • To be fair, you can do it with other lights (any light will do). It's the balance of light to shadow that matters. Del Toro also uses yellow lights and Hong Kong often uses neon colours (to emulate the cast of neon lights) in various shades. The real trick is the balance of light to dark on the subject and the overall scene.
  • ...and deep contrasts tend to tell the eye, "light in a dark place." It's a bit counterintuitive, but it works.

Dar has enough ambient there for us to make out the corridor...but it's a sort of flat fill light. Yeah, pop the guy out using a rim and some kickback from his flashlight. I couldn't tell whether he was facing forwards or backwards when I first saw the picture. *blush* 

Also: he's coming from the left. Something should be lurking in the lower right foreground corner, some hint of something menacing waiting for him that he doesn't see. Well, that would be my play. YMMV.
  • A'ight. *Chuckle* Noted, and in notes to take home and try again. Thank you guys! I'll post a re-do when I'm able.
  • Thank you for being a good sport. We kinda dogpiled... image

• Nanobot said:

We kinda dogpiled... image

Couldn't resist, he squeaks so cutely when squished.
  • Xaa said:

Nanobot said:

We kinda dogpiled... image

Couldn't resist, he squeaks so cutely when squished.

image  Ever so true.
  • .........HEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY...................>.> You know, swallowing that squeaky toy was NOT the wisest thing to do. *Ahem* Besides....I happen to LIKE dogpiles. *EVIL GRIN* No worries, dollface! I completely respect the thought and talent behind the suggestionis and most definitely welcome any crits from people I consider my friends. Thank you for taking the time to offer tips, and ideas.

Now...*Someonegetspoked!* I wanna hear a squeak!
  • *squeak!*
  • I can run through a tutorial on the subject, if you want. =)

Err...  I mean on night lighting, not squeaking.
  • LOL I was wondering, because Percy's squeaky ball lost its squeak...

Oh. You didn't mean that kind.

Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Surochek, you can do the tutorial on squeaking, since you have a testbed there.
  • *Dead*

Well Jim, I always pay attention to your posts even if I can't remember them after a while due to the swiss cheese memory I have.  If you would be so magnanimous, I'd be very happy to save it on my HD for another time. :)  I thank thee, sir.  *Genuflect!*

..........and MY SQUEAKY BALL!  MINE!  *hoards!*
  • Nanobot said:

Surochek, you can do the tutorial on squeaking, since you have a testbed there.

But we lost the squeaker! I guess research and Silo are in order?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • MINE.  XD  Oh, here's the re-do of Hunting.  By the by, his face won't be shown til later.  *Grin!*
    Hunting Re Do.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 1M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!