3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Welcome to the (Concrete) Jungle
  • Good morning. :)
  • daz strikes again? day-um. :( i'm still upset about artzone, people. i don't get over things. yes, i think refugees should be here!
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Good afternoon. :)
  • Good night.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • my post vanished.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Concise as always, Terre. Yeah, the furor at RDNA was fierce for a bit. You may see some vendors that were there going to places like CGBytes and YURdigital. Those that were making content for Genesis and Studio will probably not have any issues getting into the DAZ store--but I haven't noticed any but Syyd and Colm's Render Studio being absorbed just yet!

Anyhow.

Critter report: Sunny and cool today, not too cold. Cats chasing each other up and down
    the house, creating excitement from thin air. Supposedly, there will be
    snow on Sunday! Poor daffodils in the front yard. And I need to trim the roses back before they get too far into new leaves.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • ladyfur said:

my post vanished.

Gonna have to lay out the boojum traps again, I see. Can't have them eating posts willy-nilly.
  • nanobot, i'm guessing my top o' the mornin' on saint paddy's day offended the bots somehow. ;)
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • can you make sleeves to protect the daffodils? i remember grandpa cutting paper towel and tp tubes and making sleeves for our rose branches and other plants when a hard freeze was being forecasted. it kind of works like a blanket on a hot water heater. he would crumple the sports section around the bases of the plants right at the soil, and he would make baggy tents for the plants using saran wrap or the bags newspapers came in daily.

this is pre ziploc bag era.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
    Nan, Ladyfur,s suggestion might work, I saw a news report on TV years ago where someone did something similar for citrus trees.
  • Good evening. :)
  • I recall people doing that for their fruit trees once upon a time, before big kerosene heaters were set out in orchards.

Actually, daffodils and crocus are remarkably freeze-proof. It is not unusual for crazy spring temps to dip down to freezing here, and it doesn't hurt either of those plants in my front yard. If they haven't bloomed, the greens just sort of pause their growing. It's a miracle! Then on a warmer day, they grow further. I think that's why their greens are so tough.
  • Speaking of: The critter report!

My front yard is still winter-wrecked, since indoor activities tend to use up all my time. The birds are going nuts outside, making a racket of tweety noises. Cardinals and jays and sparrows, right nearby. I haven't heard the mocking birds start up just yet, but surely they will. Love those mocking bird songs--they're just beautiful.

Cats have calmed down from the morning hustle. Shanti is snoozing in the cat tree standing at the end of the dining room table. Don't know where Madhava got to--oops, there he is, coming to see me!
  • I've seen crocuses blooming in the snow. Granted it was only an inch or two deep.....
  • I have had my first salad from my own garden. And radishes. And the cabbages are coming along. And all sorts of other stuff.

Planting time starts in February here.

Well actually, it's just one of the rounds. It's planting time all year!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Winter wheat gets planted around here but I don't know of anything else that does. Causes weather complaints around peanut harvest time because the peanut farmers want dry weather and the winter wheat folks are planting and so want rain.
  • Here comes Peter Cottontail
    Hopping down the Bunny trail
    Hippty hop, Easter's on it's way!

Hmm...... I seem to have forgotten the rest.
  • LOL - that's right, Easter tomorrow!

We had an absolutely beautiful, crisp spring day today. All the cherry blossoms are doing their thing around here (in the D.C. area, where the official Cherry Blossoms are around the Tidal Basin. Very pretty season.
  • Happy Easter. :D
    Going to be a busy morning. The number of people who do last minute shopping in this town.....
  • happy easter, all. old pic on an old render of shadow's, i think ten years ago.
    easteroaxcomposited3.jpg
    800 x 599 - 111K
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • And happy Easter to you-all, too. 

Today is one of those floaty, pale, overcast Easters that seem to have flowers lofting through them. It does--the cherry blossoms are out all over here, as well as the ornamental Bradford pears. All those white and palest-pink flowers seem like hovering snow, delicate and fluffy and yet only cool, not freezing.
  • La la la...

Pleasant breezy day here so far. Looks like it's going to be clear, too.

Blargh. Many projects staring back at me from my virtual work-bench! What to do??
  • Good afternoon. Pleasant day here other than the winds starting up.
  • Good afternoon. Another mild but windy day here. I still keep expecting another freeze or two. We'll see.
  • Good afternoon. My mother is here for a visit for several days. :)
  • good morning. i have been battling fleas nonstop for two weeks now. i hope to get a break soon!
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • My strange brain just conjured an image of Battle Fleas. That's easy to imagine!
  • Critter report: After a chilly weekend--we missed the snow and have had a bit of rain instead--it warmed up yesterday. Birdies are screamin' outside, which generally interests the cats. At the moment, things are quiet and Madhava is snoozing in the cat tree in front of me.

From a couple of days ago, both Madhava (seal point boy) and Shanti (blue point girl) curled up squashed into the top of the cat tree. Crappy iPhone photo. :)

kittehKyuteTogether.jpg
    900 x 740 - 120K
  • awwwwww! photo looks fine to me. our kittens are still in exile in the bathroom as we try everything to eradicate the fleas! i bought flea shampoo. i bought carpet spray which is en route from georgia. terminix is going to spray all apartments except ours and we have to prevent the fleeing fleas from joining ours. sigh.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • She has very cute kitties. :)
    Ladyfur: One thing that helps with fleas is boric acid. When we had a bunch come in through the front door we treated the carpet with it while using flea killer on the cat. I got the powder at the vet's office.
  • terre, we've been using borax and diatomaceous earth. we just had terminix visit the building yesterday. very friendly bug guy treated for all sorts of things. they did not spray in our apt. because i'd get sick. they put these disks with pheromones in the cabinets. today there are no ants, few fleas, and no, a-hem, doggy neighbor's bugs. he has the infestation, rest of us got the spillover only. so bug guy did preventment for us and exterminate for him. um, not the neighbor but his bugs.

shadow got injured and couldn't walk for 3 days. he is now hobbling and got a long nap in the bath. it's been a harrowing week.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Ouch. My sympathies. I hope things get better quickly. Glad the bug problem is clearing up.
  • Good afternoon. Wet and cold enough to turn the heater back on here.
  • Happy Mother's Day. :)
  • hi, all. nobody will believe this but they still haven't gotten the plumber yet, nor our window screens. plumber got nabbed for a huge restaurant renovation. bug guy won't be back until june. fedex lady says she's even praying for all the bugs to go elsewhere. it's at least as effective as waiting for bug guy. the handyman is back to work a little after hurting his back but he's swamped with other work. we all are the redheaded step renters here in this building.

i bought shadow a heavy duty walker and an online friend chipped in and i got him a shower chair after that. hopefully he won't take more falls now.

the kittens are healthy but still in exile. i've started packing the kitchen stuff because when plumber does show up he will be in a hurry.

it has been cold for may. very odd. most of the fleas are gone, only the neighbor's a-hem bugs keep showing up here lately.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Ouch. Sounds like everything is hitting you at once. Hopefully things will improve quickly.
  • hi, terre. well, there was one bit of good news. back in february or march i bagged up cloth items and put diatomaceous earth and sealed the trash bags. i checked today and... dead fleas, no eggs, and few cocoons that all flushed! it was great because it was mostly stuffed animals. i'm washing the chenille bathrug tonight. so d.e. works!

the cats are healthy. shadow has his chair and walker, we have food, maybe handyman will bring a screen he won't break next time...

nice people have been getting us gifts on amazon. one sent some dried fish flakes for the kittens and some cat litter. :)
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • At least some news is good. Glad you're getting some help too. :)
  • Good afternoon. :)
  • good morning. it has been a week without felis. shadow became allergic to him and got tripped by him one time too many so he went back to get a new home. mausi has done fantastic since then. no turf wars, no being bitten... she reverted to how she was as a tiny kitten and is affectionate and happy. we even have tp in the bathroom now! nothing has been broken by kittens, no more shredded paper. we did our best by felis but we just were not meant to have two cats in so small a place.

still no handyman, window screen, nor plumber... it's over 2 months closer to 3 now.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Glad all is working out for Mausi. I hope the rest gets taken care of soon. Hopefully Felis will find a home quickly.
  • here she is at just over 7 months. it is very hard to get a non moving photo of her! i was told felis is doing well.

we finally, after 3 months of begging, got window screens!
    mausi is terrified of every noise outside. every bark, every car, every neighbor's conversations. while we've been waiting months to cross ventilate the place all mausi knows is indoors since age 4 after being born in the wild.

our 17 year old corded k-mart phone died. we discovered this trying to call amazon to tell them packages were very late. we had to order a new corded phone. it is arriving wednesday, same as the late updated estimated arrival of the packages. the first call will be to amazon. it's scary to be without a phone.
    mausijune5c.jpg
    943 x 1090 - 637K
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Poor Mausi. Being a fraidy cat when it comes to things outdoors is goo for her, though. Less chance she will try to slip out and explore.
    Window screens is a start. I hope the rest of what you need comes along quickly, especially the phone. Not having one sounds scary to me too.
  • we all are having a bit of minor food poisoning. phone is cute. it's very lightweight. it was unnerving not having one for just in case. bank updated their website and i couldn't even access it, also for days. had to get ie 11 because genius bank has no access to firefox even though they claim to.

get this. soc. sec. wants pay stubs or unemployment checks? we have been disabled for decades! crazy robotic system.
    have to call them on monday.

i finally found my missing sewing supplies, after i bought a package of sewing needles, lol.

oh, and still no plumber. for those counting it is almost 4 months. he's been supposedly contracted though. hurry up and wait. he did stop by once to check things.

this is the coldest june i can remember.

my new keyboard could wake the dead it's so loud.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Good grief. I really hope things get better soon!
    Here I'm dealing with a work stress related leg injury. It's slowly getting better.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!