3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Welcome to the (Concrete) Jungle
  • Nanobot said:

You have to wonder what that UK guy's sample size was.

We started putting the kittehs downstairs and locking the door to the upstairs when then began bouncing on the bed at o-dark-hundred. Now they wake me up between 5:30 and 6:30 and want to go downstairs, have a food offering and then I shut the door. But by the time I wake up for the day, they really want me to come for them. Not, "I can go upstairs now" but "Mama mama mama!" and swirl around me.

Indeed.  Reality is, they're discovering all sorts of animals can develop several sorts of mental illness from all sorts of incidents and that both mammals and birds are far more social and capable of their own sorts of affection than people are comfortable thinking about. 

Domesticated cats are not the same as domesticated dogs, particularly in the way they demonstrate their needs, feelings and state of well being but they continuously prove that they bond with humans, each other and even other pets.  I suspect that that particular team or scientist did not set up the study very well or/and that he really didn't know much about the behavior and psychology of domestic cats.

• Good morning. :)
  • Good evening. :)
  • Heh. * looks around *  Tuesday already? Egad.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Wayii said:

Nanobot said:

You have to wonder what that UK guy's sample size was.

We started putting the kittehs downstairs and locking the door to the upstairs when then began bouncing on the bed at o-dark-hundred. Now they wake me up between 5:30 and 6:30 and want to go downstairs, have a food offering and then I shut the door. But by the time I wake up for the day, they really want me to come for them. Not, "I can go upstairs now" but "Mama mama mama!" and swirl around me.

Indeed.  Reality is, they're discovering all sorts of animals can develop several sorts of mental illness from all sorts of incidents and that both mammals and birds are far more social and capable of their own sorts of affection than people are comfortable thinking about. 

Domesticated cats are not the same as domesticated dogs, particularly in the way they demonstrate their needs, feelings and state of well being but they continuously prove that they bond with humans, each other and even other pets.  I suspect that that particular team or scientist did not set up the study very well or/and that he really didn't know much about the behavior and psychology of domestic cats.

They certainly do socialize. I did not realize how dramatically different it would be having age-mates that arrived the same day and grew up together thereafter. They are very attached to each other and quite social with everyone. Quite different from having one cat and then getting another--none of the territoriality between them.

And there's little mister kitteh using Shanti as a bolster pillow again, over there. :)  They so enjoy squashing together in the round bed on top of the table-height cat tree. (Just as I planned it!)
  • Cool! An ivy generator! I have one for Vue, but not one for Poser or...whatever.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/ivymaker/111691/
  • Good afternoon. :)
  • Good afternoon. :)
  • Hey ho. The Dana Anderson store's looking a bit, er, empty? It just opened, right?
  • It just opened, yes. He's trying to build up a number of vendors and a freebie catalog.
  • Sort of a last-generation storefront. :^(
  • Happy Halloween!  :D
  • Same to you. :)
    28th anniversary here.

• Apparently Poser World is putting some of their models up for individual sale here: https://alacarte3d.com/
  • Happy Thanksgiving  :)
  • hi, all. i can't remember how long it's been! terre just emailed me to say happy thanksgiving. thank you, terre. i lost the link months ago when i had to get a new browser and it lost my saved info and logins. we moved from that awful upstairs apartment to the one in the middle downstairs that had just gotten renovated in late june. we have new carpet, new tile, new water heater and a, 'new', fridge.

as i told terre, we are also getting a new kitten. he is 5 weeks old and not ready to come home yet. the purple cat thrift store funds wild feline rescue. normally the just cnr and feed the colonies in the field but every so often they find orphaned kittens... this is one of those times. he is a totally gentle baby who does not stop purring. i look half dead but it's partly the lighting in there. after over 5 1/2 years petless shadow thought it was time to get a new cat. we checked and i'm not allergic to this one.

his name is felis p. fuffball. he comes home before christmas. :)
    thriftstorefind.jpg
    1920 x 2560 - 861K
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Welcome back. :)
    He looks like he's going to a very good home.
  • thanks, terre, we hope so. shadow is smitten. i have not seen him this in love since 1989 when fur was born. probably because felis looks like fur and is as gentle. we bought him a litterbox that looks like an igloo with a ramp and a cleverly cute carpeted cat condo contraption thing they call a cat tree. it looks like a cheese or pie wedge with play holes and has a scratching post. it's like preparing a nursery for a baby almost. we have to kitten proof the place. i haven't had a kitten in two decades! i couldn't resist putting the caption.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • The caption was a cute as the kitten. I grinned at it too. kitten proofing is not easy. Red tried to run into our heater when we brought him home. We had to take some wire mesh we had and fence it off so he wouldn't get fried.
  • oh, back in 1986 my first cat, ariel, discovered that the portable heater grandpa had to have for his feet burnt his nose. now you'd think burnt nose means avoid heater. of course not. i could hear him thinking.

what is this glowing thing?... ouch! it burnt my nose... i'll try again... ouch! it burnt my nose again! maybe... ouch! iddd burrrr byyy dossse baaaad! mewwwww!

the old water heater failed right after we moved in and had to be replaced, of course after they had just put brand new tiles down. the cabinet had been built around the old one. they don't make that size now. the new one is fatter. there is a kitten sized gap between the stove and water heater because of the valve shut off thing. i have small tiles blocking the gap on the top of the stove so food doesn't fall down there but the front is open. we are going to do a strip of aluminum foil and duct tape and pray that works. at least until he's bigger. it's yucky behind the water heater. had they known it was rusting the would have pulled it and cleaned before we moved in, but because it was an emergency they just replaced it and didn't clean the area at all and now it can't be gotten to at all. sigh.
    we don't use the oven, just the stove top. i think felis won't be able to jump up to the stove for quite a while. we hope, anyway...
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • i hope that does work. Since water heaters get hot that limits what you can block it with. Chicken wire might work but he might also climb up it so maybe not.
  • Christmas tree is up!

A couple of weeks before Halloween I went to Hobby Lobby to see if they had any interesting stuff left and found a cute grey mousie in a witches hat and cape as well as discovering they had just put up their Christmas things. I ended up getting a package of tiny snowflakes and one of tiny balls for our little tree. Worked out great. I finally had enough ornaments that will fit on the tree to kind of follow a rule I was taught as a child: "Hang an ornament on every branch" while breaking another rule I was taught: "Don't hang ornaments from the light string.". The front of the tree now looks much like a tiny version of the trees we had when I was young. Many branches have ornaments while in the areas where the small size of the tree meant I couldn't fit anything I hung things on the light string. When they are that small there is no problem with weight. We also don't set the lights on continuous on. We set them for rotation through all of the settings on the multifunction set so nothing gets too hot.
  • neat, terre. take and post a photo! again it's underlining? why does it do that when i post?
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Because it's really important??

Try selecting all the underlined stuff and then hitting the U thingy under "Write Comment". That might undo it.
  • oooh, those are neat! thanks, terre. i recognized a few of the names. i gave the url to shadow. he says thanks.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Welcome. :)
  • morning!

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • merry christmas eve.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Good idea, mam!

Merry Christmas Eve.
  • Hnnn...Coffeeeeeeee
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Merry Christmas!
  • Merry Freakin' Christmas!
  • Turkey is in the oven.

Snow isn't supposed to start until Saturday night. 100% chance of 8-12 inches followed by a 100% chance of another 5-8 on Sunday. Brrr.......
  • terre, you get snow? neat. we got blinding sun and cold, not even rain, but a quiet day. here are the two kittens as discovered stealing my chair yesterday.
    felisandmausi.jpg
    1866 x 1928 - 2M
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Such cure little thieves. :)

(Not looking forward to the snow. Too many people around here don't know how to drive in it. I'm one of them but at least I know it.)
  • drive carefully, terre. we are going to get more rain but for now it's just cold.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Jim is right. No walking to work this morning.
    Temp of 19F or 21F depending on which site I look at. Light snow/fog with quite a bit of snow already on the ground. This part wouldn't be bad by itself as I can bundle up and it's only a half mile.
    Gale force winds (44+ mph with gusts up up 59 mph) might be something i could handle for that short a distance if the temps were mild.
    Together? No way!
    Just got a call. The store might not even be opening at 7am. Tim or Dwayne will be taking a look at 7 to see if it's viable to try and open. When they decide it's safe someone will come and get me.

• ladyfur said:

drive carefully, terre. we are going to get more rain but for now it's just cold.

I hope that all you get is rain. That's much better than what's outside here right now.
  • yikes, terre. be careful! this site locked me out for some reason. it lost me. i just got back. i mean be careful if you have to go outside.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!