3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
SKYLAB Announcements and Discussion
  • Those textures are really, really nice.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • That's what I thought, and figured you'd want to grab them while you could.  I'll leave the link a little while longer in case Terre, Elynda, Wayii or anybody else is interested, then I'll remove it.  

I've been searching through all my archives...stuff that's many years old...and finally...finally found the Last Supper room that Ockham created.  I had contacted him about it, and he was amazed that I even remembered it since it was posted in a forum discussion.   Anyway...I found the original file.   He indicated that he'd lost track of it, and that he felt it didn't render all that well.   Here's my first render of it without really trying very hard. The biggest problem where lighting is concerned is the ceiling...the ceiling is solid with the grid, and can't be removed.   That's why I created a ceiling that was just the grid, so light could shine through.  Even if Ockham's room can't be used as is, I could always use it as a guide to re-create a room with proper dimensions....and I'll contact him to see if he wants me to send him the file so that he could make modifications.  Here's the first render, showing the dimensions, and potential.

Thread where he originally responded to LS room question:

OCKHAM-LAST-SUPPER-ROOM.jpg
    650 x 417 - 33K

• Another freebie link from Hivewire...at the bottom of the page, a roast turkey, a place setting, a morphing mustache, and a working cuckoo clock, plus a few others, if you don't already have them:

Forgot to mention, you have to be logged in at Hivewire in order to see the images posted in the threads...if not logged in, it only shows links to the pics.  

• Oooh i've had that fringewood chair but not the textures.  Good find!

• Elynda...glad you could get those, since they are really nice :)

Suro, since you have Diamond, you might be interested in the free animated gallop at this link (plus there are 5 pages of other freebies):   https://www.yurdigital.com/catalog/free-content?page=3

• New freebie by Birdman at ShareCG, looks good for a 3DS import into Poser....a carriage barn (updated file has been released):

...and a farmland terrain here:

carriage-barn.jpg
    600 x 519 - 40K
  • Not bad. You've got an interesting set of things coming together here. :)
  • Yes, appears to be an increase of country and rustic themed models, and Rendo's search can sometimes be odd in that it may take several attempts for this type of themed content to show...then I usually take time to test it before suggesting it here.   I'm still trying to locate a country home that was on CP (I think) a few years ago...it was called something like "mom's house", and there was one similar called "pop's country store" I think.  I'm still searching my archives to find them.  I have commercial log cabins, but am searching for something free that can be used as a scene prop for poses.   I'm doing freebie hunting while giving my eyes a break from pose projects.  In a little over two weeks Dawn will be released, so I'll be back at it again.   So far I'm just piddling with the trestle table dining scene, and I may do some poses for Fringewood's chair.

• Here's the result of attempting to fit M3 clothing on M4 with no conversion....by using one of Elynda's Hein tricks....just turn the entire bottom part of M4's body off, by selecting each part and unchecking visible in the Properties box.   After doing this it only leaves the arms, chest and neck areas to tweak for the best fit...good enough for still renders.

:)

M4-with-M3-clothing.jpg
    600 x 386 - 38K
  • Cool. That does work well for simple things like that. :)
  • Oh, cool. Also works for background characters. Yes!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Why do we overcomplicate things? Mmm... or is that overcomplexicate?
    Suspiro ergo sum.

• Haha...yes, I guess it's engrained in our thinking that the clothing has to exactly fit...but we learned fooling around with Hein characters that the body is really unnecessary if it's covered with clothing....all one needs is a head, neck and arms most of the time.   Then I took it to another level by sticking the Kos head to Doc's body to create a hybrid character.  Once upon a time, from M3 back, they supplied a hybrid character to wear older clothing, and folks asked for a M4 with M3 body, but it never happened.  That would really be ideal for clothing fit.   In the examples above, if you spin the characters around to view the back side, there's bare skin showing on the back and shoulders, because M4 is much thicker through the chest than M3.  However, for still renders it doesn't matter all that much.   You just can't animate them or the clothing misfit would be obvious.  I guess a M4-M3 hybrid could be done the way I did with Kos and Doc.   I discovered the clothing possibility by accident.  I'm having trouble with my eyesight for now, the reason I'm taking a break from pose sets, but am working slowly on a M4 set for Frngewood's chair.  I clothed M4 in what I thought was the real jeans set that I always use...but it turned out to be the version for M3....and thought hmmm....wonder if that would work for western outfits, and got the results above after trying it.   So....it was what Bob Ross, the guy who used to teach painting on TV, would call a "happy accident".

• Here's an obvious example using Hein....for the Julia Child character....in that the dress provides the illusion of the body shape.

julia-child-hein.jpg
    600 x 477 - 105K
    julia-child.gif
    550 x 348 - 486K

• I just posted small pics of Hein characters on the Hivewire thread as someone expressed liking the few they'd seen up to that point, so will post here as well.   The thread is doing well so far, lots of visitors.   If you register for the forum, then you'll be able to view the images in the thread.

CHAINED TO A MORNING PERSON:

KON in a KANDY JAR:

imageimage

imageimage

Chained-to-a-morning-person.jpg
    600 x 443 - 110K
    Hein=musicians.jpg
    600 x 900 - 104K
    Hein-characters.jpg
    593 x 888 - 93K
    Hein-dwarf.jpg
    337 x 402 - 23K
    kon-kandy1.jpg
    600 x 489 - 44K
    kon-kandy2.jpg
    600 x 411 - 40K
    Nursoda-collection.jpg
    599 x 734 - 85K
    preslhein.jpg
    300 x 450 - 19K
    spock.jpg
    300 x 450 - 27K
    slona-lisa.jpg
    304 x 430 - 36K
    Kon.jpg
    300 x 429 - 34K

• Now...I'm only going to say this once...because I just don't believe in being negative or morbid.   I always want to believe for the best in every situation.  However...in addition to my strong beliefs and faith, I'm also a realist.   I just pulled through a really serious episode with my health....that's why for having to rest my eyes for awhile.  

Having said that...if anything ever happens to me....whether it be limited eyesight, or I just suddenly don't show up online for a very extended time....I want to trust you guys to keep my stuff online.  I'm sure by now most of you have collected all my pose sets.   My friend Sarah, who passed away a couple of years ago...her stuff is still on ShareCG....and I don't know if it's because the email tied to the account is still functional through her family, or whether ShareCG just allows the stuff to stay there indefinitely.  Whatever the case...if one, or a group, of you would make sure that my stuff stays online, I'd really appreciate it.   If you want to save images off of my website, or handle it whatever way you wish, I'd just like to know that things may continue on, much the way the KCTC group has continued on with France's stuff.   

I plan to teach a close friend of mine how to get in touch with folks here if it ever be necessary....and hopefully if they can remember how to do it, it may be a way of communicating should it be needful.

Okay...I promised I'd only say this once...and now it's been said.   Now, back to the regularly scheduled craziness   :)

slon-tram.gif
    375 x 414 - 92K

• The first Fringewood arm chair poses are completed.   Down-scale the chair to 74%, then use xScale setting of 150% in order to use the chair as a loveseat.   Poses here on ShareCG:

Here's link to the chair:

M4-NAP-with-PUPPY.jpg
    580 x 380 - 31K
    M4-READING.jpg
    580 x 417 - 29K
    M4-NAPPING.jpg
    580 x 374 - 30K
    M4-NAP-with-PUPPY2.jpg
    580 x 426 - 31K
  • Mikey being his lazy self. Excellent.
    Suspiro ergo sum.

• An excellent freebie has been uploaded to Rendo this evening....I can't believe the detail and quality.  All the furniture pieces are separate objects with detailed mat files, even the paintings on the wall.  In the quick renders below, the first is front wall, with left and right walls...and the second image is as if looking through the front window toward the back wall.   I didn't take time to try to get the lights right, just enough here for you to see that it's a really nice room model.   Link below.

Room G

imageimage
    ROOM G 1.jpg
    650 x 350 - 35K
    ROOM G 2.jpg
    650 x 350 - 29K
  • That does look very nice.
  • That is awesome.
    Suspiro ergo sum.

• I had searched a lot to find a nice sofa and chair for props as the one I've used in the past came from DAZ, and I'm wanting to move forward away from that as much as possible....and was amazed to find the Room G set.   I had been considering the set below but the textures are not easy to light...the chair and sofa would look great done in something pretty, and perhaps lighter.   They are at the following Rendo free stuff links:

chesterfield-furniture.jpg
    600 x 315 - 30K
  • Those could be very nice indeed with better textures. Good find.
  • Thank you for these!
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Ooh, nice models! *grabby grabby*
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • lol- Did the same thing.  Snagged and not yet downloaded, but it gave me an idea for another "familial" render with a particular family.  XD
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Wonders where sky is.
    Everything OK?

• Oh yes Terre...I'm okay.  I spent a couple of nights away from home visiting a friend, and did not have internet connection.  Am back to routine now, and much improved physically after some much needed time outside, and even some playing with my favorite cat.  For those who might remember the cat and dog playing ball animation, this is the cat in real life....he's gorgeous, very regal in demeanor...and very loving (pic below of him "kissing" my face...haha).

cute.jpg
    600 x 334 - 27K
    cute2.jpg
    670 x 527 - 167K
    cat-and-dog-playing.gif
    550 x 268 - 229K
  • So you disappeared for a good reason. :)
    Glad you're doing better and,yes, I remember the animation and that is a gorgeous looking cat.

• The cat belongs to my best friend...he's Tonkinese, beautiful fur.  

...and yes, my disappearance was for a good reason.  I didn't realize that I'd be spending an extended time away form home....I was "kidnapped" for a little R&R and pampering, as I'd given family and friends a little panic recently.  I am indeed much better, it was just what I needed.

• Yay for good kidnappings and welcome back!  That cat is beautiful and seems quite the character.

• Hi Elynda  :)   Yes, I had a good time, and I do enjoy the lap cat company.  I'm not able to care for one of my own, so I can only "adopt" others' pets.   They can be good for what ails you, as the saying goes  :)

• I tried to downsize a video segment to post here of my little buddy . . .and a little larger version is posted on my website, at the bottom of this page:  http://skylab3d.weebly.com/about.html

petting2-250x192.gif
    250 x 192 - 645K

• I'm a little behind in my usual "bird-dogging" for freebies...but ran across this one if anyone is interested.   It's called adMan, created by the same person who made adHorse and the M4 and Apollo western and army outfits.  Here are the links to the free figure and basic clothing set, and TrekkieGrrrl has already released a freebie morph at link below.

I have not tested this figure yet, but will try it tonight.   In the images posted he kind of has that "deer in the headlights" expression, but I'll see what I can do with it...haha.   I'll be glad when my eyesight returns to normal...whenever my sugar is dropping rapidly, I can't see squat...but when it finally stabilizes, then I'm fine.  My problem is all the small print in the Poser parameters box...information I really need in order to do poses...and a seeing eye dog just won't help with this....haha.    At least I'm on the home stretch....another 50-70 points or so and I'll be within normal range, so I'm really hoping by the weekend that things will be normal.  I may be spending time away from home again this coming weekend, away from the internet, so nobody panic, okay.   By the way....I signed up for another free website at weebly.com....and it will be called slonstranger.weebly.com , with an email account set aside just for it....and when I get things set up, I'll pass on the email and website info to whoever among you is willing....there's nothing to it, if you can post on a forum, weebly web builder is really easy.   

Elynda....do you still have the same email address when we contacted each other some time ago?  If so, I'll send you the info by email....and I'll probably pass the info to Terre...and Suro, I don't know if you've ever done any website work....but here's the thing....all of you could use it to post your images...it could be shared for the group, as well as a place to archive some of my stuff.   There are always a few limitations to free accounts....like they allow flash video, but only paid sites can do .wmv video, stuff like that. There used to be a 5 mg limit on upload size, but I think it has been increased to 10 mg, which is plenty large for sample videos and such.   It would not be a good choice as a download site as the bandwidth limitation would make it not be adequate....but it's a great home for larger images.  So Elynda, let me know if you're up to the challenge of learning how to enter the web builder.   I can "talk" you through it by using the private message here...and Terre too, if interested.   In this way I could set up an archive in advance....that you all could manage later if my circumstances were to change.

Okay, that's enough of the serious stuff....and I'll post images of adMan later when I've had a chance to see what he will do.

• Looking forward to the images. Your fun stuff is always good for a smile. :)

• Okay, here's adMan with a calmer expression.  I encountered some problems with clothes fitting...at the bottom of the shirts, and how the jeans fit over the shoes. I found the most difficult part to control naturally was his mouth.   I'll watch for freebies...perhaps he'd make a good western background character.

adMan.jpg
    620 x 614 - 76K
  • Yes... He doesn't look like leading man material, does he?
    Suspiro ergo sum.

• Finally had a chance to work with Sass...wonderful character, numerous facial morphs....he just needs a Siamese texture...

Pose is on ShareCG:

sassafras1.jpg
    500 x 447 - 44K
    sass1b.jpg
    500 x 342 - 23K
    sass1c.jpg
    500 x 366 - 25K
  • sky, yes i still have the same 2 emails i've had for years.  not sure which i gave you.  i have comcast and msn, so whichever  you've got should be fine.  If you've got anything else, holler and i'll pm you a new one.
  • surochek said:

Yes... He doesn't look like leading man material, does he?

Nope. But this makes him useful doesn't it? After all lots of people complain that all of the models are the Super-model type. LOL
  • Well, yeah... but you can make a pretty doll ugly, but you can't make an ugly doll pretty.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Hey Elynda....I've sent you a lengthy email   :)

Yeah, adMan is kind of.....ah.....plain.   I was hoping to help that a little but there are not enough controls in the mouth area to help him out but so much.   Rex has similar issues with the mouth....it's just different, not natural appearing.   But adMan may be useful in distance shots if folks happen to make clothing for him.   I'll wait and see if folks support it before I attempt pose sets.   

I'd put off getting RDNA's Sassafras since before Poser 2014 came out, so have enjoyed messing with him a little.   For a toon style character there are a lot of control dials....and since I'm a cat lover, it was a must have.  I'm using a screen magnifier in order to see the dials, so it takes longer to create a pose, but that should improve soon.   Dawn is due for release on the 9th so I have to get myself ready for that.   I'm glad the scenes are already set up, that will save a lot of time.

• Weeelllll.... I may have to get her, just because.
    Suspiro ergo sum.

• I've been getting comments on the second pose, which was definitely based on my best friend's cat...he's been a hit with folks.   I hope to create more poses for Sassafras, and I'm being very careful not to duplicate anything that has been created by other folks on RDNA.   Mine will hopefully have their own uniqueness.  I've been thinking about things to have the cat doing....my real little buddy loves to look at TV and play around the computer monitor, is crazy about tuna...so if you open a can you have to be prepared to defend yourself...haha...and he typically wakes really early in the morning for his "treat"....so he meows and keeps pointing his head toward the kitchen, like "follow me, it's time...." .    So...I have to think about some of the things he typically does, and how to turn them into funny poses.  Here's the large flash version of him sitting on me...he likes to sit very regal on your chest and occasionally kiss your face....haha:

Here's the RDNA link to Sassafras:   http://www.runtimedna.com/amadhia_sassafras.html

:D

• I knew my dog Percy is part-cat. He does the same thing. Jumps on my lap to be petted, bumps my face so I take off my glasses, proceeds to give me kisses, then snuggles down for a furry nap.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Yes, they get to be part child when they are house pets...and they love smoochie face....haha.

Have been just fooling around, experimenting with stuff until my eyes are working right again.  Here's Rex, from Poser 10/Pro 2014 with M4 Historical Curls and M4 Beard Plus.   The darkest version of the beard is not quite dark enough, but I was able to size it and parent it and the hair to Rex with no problem. 

REX-with-M4BEARD2.jpg
    400 x 418 - 53K
    REX-with-M4BEARD.jpg
    400 x 418 - 53K
  • The facial hair may not be quite dark enough but it's still one of the best beard sets around. Some of the newer stuff I've seen with that strand based stuff has hairs that are WAYYYYYYYYY to thick to be hair. They look like strands of clay in some cases.
    What you ended up with loooks like him dying his hair but not his beard to me.
  • Terre, I agree.  What I was working around is the texture set has really dark eyebrows, so that set the stage so to speak, everything had to work with them.  If there was a way to lighten the eyebrows,then the hair could be lightened, which would match the beard, and achieve better results.   I also agree, strand based hair is much too bulky...beard plus was a good product.

This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!