3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Fantasy
  • Oh, the joys of refurbishment! thumbs up to Kay for the idea.
  • About 25 years ago, I was complaining that TVs should be hung on walls like pictures. All I can say is, "It's about damn time!"
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Yay for Kay! I like that idea. She deserves an extra hug.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Something for the "awwwwwww"s... =^.^=

• And he's smiling. Hopefully not because kittens are very tasty...!  Well, maybe because they're cute AND tasty.
  • awwww-someness.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Nanobot said:

And he's smiling. Hopefully not because kittens are very tasty...!  Well, maybe because they're cute AND tasty.

Nah, he has a sweet spot fort them.... not inside his stomach but inside his heart... His voice is usually rather deep but when given a handful of cat, he might sound like a girl... XD
  • Seduced by the Cute! I can relate.
  • Very sweet Mav. :)
  • Yeah, that kitty would have seduced me as well... Even though I am allergic... =^.^=
  • Played with my Dremora again... started as a simple portrait but his hair was quite some work. Here he is Ma'ahanoor, Dremora of very high ranks. :)

• Well done as usual. Is hair ever really a simple affair for you? It dosen't look like it to me. You've put a LOT of work into the hair of all of the images I remember seeing.
  • Terre said:

Well done as usual. Is hair ever really a simple affair for you? It dosen't look like it to me. You've put a LOT of work into the hair of all of the images I remember seeing.

Thank you! 

And well, yes and no. Yes, because I have painted so much hair by now that I have quite some practice with it and the whole technique is pretty much the same with every picture. Of course I learn new things and also I made myself some brushes and those change every now and then... but I can also say "No" because it is always a lot of work. I bet Nan can relate to that. especially with portraits... since portraits force you to paint all the details in a very... well, detailed way. Also there is shades that I find hard to do such as black. For me black hair is the worst.

• If you need practice with black hair does that mean we get to see more of the dark-haired mix-blood? Please?
  • Holy crow...*Grin!* That was a brilliant suggestion on Kay's part! *Snirk* Couldn't even contemplate putting something like that together at our house- I don't think Mark'd do well looking at most of my creations for too long. :D But... That'd make a great "window"- when it's crappy weather outside, you can just change it up and find a nice, scenic beach to look at instead.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Terre said:

If you need practice with black hair does that mean we get to see more of the dark-haired mix-blood? Please?

The Tiefling, the one holding the cat?
  • I like that one, Mav. I'd say........Yes. XD Although Red there is something I'd like to see more of, too. ;)
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Mavrosh said:

Terre said:

If you need practice with black hair does that mean we get to see more of the dark-haired mix-blood? Please?

The Tiefling, the one holding the cat?

Yup. :)
  • There are my brains splattered on the wall there CAUSE MAH MIND IZ BLOWN 8O

I guess I'm easily impressed or you're just that good cause I'm seriously loving everything about that render, Mav...Like, -everything-.
    ladyfur: 'in your easter bonnet, with mandrakes all upon it, you'll be the faeriest fella in the easter parade...'
  • If you're easily impressed then so am I. I've yet to see a render by Mav that wasn't well done.
  • Good. I feel better now, heh. 

But seriously, I'm like a little raccoon because I keep gleeing over all the shiny silver jewelry. I mean, I know she spent a crap-ton of time on the hair, yet I think I like the silver better. xD
    ladyfur: 'in your easter bonnet, with mandrakes all upon it, you'll be the faeriest fella in the easter parade...'
  • Good. I feel better now, heh. 

But seriously, I'm like a little raccoon because I keep gleeing over all the shiny silver jewelry. I mean, I know she spent a crap-ton of time on the hair, yet I think I like the silver better. xD

Thank you very much! Yah, I have a something for shiny things... And with him I can let it all out... 
    :-))
  • You dun good, Mav..you dun good. /sagenod
  • A friend of mine runs 2 monitors for his set up.  He has one set portrait.. and one landscape.  It helps he says on rendering scenes he wants tall, cause he can pull his poser viewport out and stretch it.  I was salivating a bit as I watched him.  :P

Hmmm.. *plots to get another TV, so she can have her Boyfriend's 35" one.. 

Delaney
  • Whelp- I had to do a quick and dirty commission- so here it is.  They wanted a "faun" but of a fantasy variety, so there he is.  It went to spec- so they're happy, I'm happy.  Now, onto the collab.
    At the End.jpg
    1225 x 1249 - 1M
  • Oh that is wonderful!
    Let's throw some mesh
  • Oh my, those are some crazy horns. Are they the same stone texture as the wall?? *peers*
  • Nanobot said:

Oh my, those are some crazy horns. Are they the same stone texture as the wall?? *peers*

Thank you both! Actually, the textures to the horns are one of three that come with the set! *Grin* I amped up the bump maps and slid the map into the displacement for added oomph, but that was about it.
  • Talk about shock? I just uploaded the Faun onto RDNA last night- and the email newsletter shows it as one of the four art picks for art of the week. O.o That just put a big ol' grin on my face!
  • Neato!  Well, heck, it's a change from the usual lingerie girls and toons. And your pix have such personality, too. :)
  • Aw, thank you, sweets. I spoke to Mark about this at lunch- he was pleased as punch that it happened and quietly informed me that there is a distinct style to my works. Even if they aren't 'realistic' per se, they all have the same 'something' in them that screams "I'm From Dar!" in them. That...I think...makes me happier than reaching that goal of ultimate realism. Darwinism's Style. *nod*
  • Congrats on IOTW, Grim, well done!

Feeding3Web.jpg
    1986 x 1068 - 537K
  • Raetjor said:

Outstanding.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Thanks, Raet! I agree with Jim- outstanding work on that piece.
  • Thanks, that means a lot. Took me a week and went through a number of different incarnations (to get the fiend and the cave to look right, not to mention fiddle with the lighting) until I got to this version. The postwork was done relatively quickly, so I'm glad it works.
  • You can tell you've worked on this one, extensively. May I suggest something in the postwork process? The fog/steam that you added..perhaps doing a few layers with an overlaying layer of noise to help break it up, along with soft touches of blurring, erasing (I usually erase fog/smoke/steam using some of the brushes that come with the set at a very low opacity and do it in segments until I find the right mix) along with just a few hints of 'highlighting' could bring that effect more into the 3D circle? It's something I've been working on in my pieces to see if it helps add more impact so I thought I'd toss that thought your way.

Trust me, if you don't think the same way I won't be offended. ;) I have a thick skin.
  • GRIM said:

You can tell you've worked on this one, extensively. May I suggest something in the postwork process? The fog/steam that you added..perhaps doing a few layers with an overlaying layer of noise to help break it up, along with soft touches of blurring, erasing (I usually erase fog/smoke/steam using some of the brushes that come with the set at a very low opacity and do it in segments until I find the right mix) along with just a few hints of 'highlighting' could bring that effect more into the 3D circle? It's something I've been working on in my pieces to see if it helps add more impact so I thought I'd toss that thought your way
    Trust me, if you don't think the same way I won't be offended. ;) I have a thick skin.

Not offended in the slightest. The fog was the one thing I wasn't sure about how to get it to be more 3d. It is already in layers, so it is easy enough to fiddle with.
    Hmm, highlights, how about duplicating a layer and changing it to soft light, that would make te highlights pop, right?

*trundles off to fiddle.

• It could, yes- just remember to do the rest to trick the eye into thinking it's seeing layers; the blending, erasing, blurring, ect to go with the highlights. It can help, too, to use the colors of the main lighting as well to make a layer just for some highlighting. Just a little- but you'd have a bit more control if you add a couple of colors. I tend to go through three or four along with everything else. A dark color for darker areas not seen very well, two shades lighter than the darkest, just shy of being different, to add a little bit more of that illusion of depth, and a highlighting color used sparingly.

I've noticed out where I live that when there'
  • Ok, re-take on the fogginess...Is this better?
    Feeding3b.jpg
    1986 x 1068 - 522K
  • I actually liked the original fogginess, but that's me.
  • Both look good to me. I guess it depends on what effect you want.
  • What's important is that in the end, Raet, it's your piece. You must be happy!! ;)

Now, the lwoer left/lower middle side of the fog looks much better, to me. It almost seems like it's rolling over the rocks, like it has an undercurrent breeze. I like that a great deal. The mid-section of the middle of the piece seems a bit flat, still. I'm sure if it isn't and it's the monitor someone will chime in and correct me, but for me perhaps a bit more difference in opacity here and there may help. I would probably re-add some more of that fog/smoke at the monster's side (my right side), just a bit, to keep it cohesive. If there's fog there, there should be fog here kinda deal.
    http://california-travels.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/point_lobos_fog_lrg.jpg One example.
    http://dossierjournal.com/look/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fisher_fog_night_4.jpg Another for an indoor, spread out and not so moving type of fog. This is almost a haze.

Please don't take this as I don't think the piece isn't freakin' awesome- it's a spectacular piece. The POV is great, the posing is strong and forceful and the light set you've chosen made the mood Perfectly. I always have a beef with fog/smoke. I'm sorry if my offering my thoughts would offend.
  • I use Ron's fire technique on the fog, too--do it in at least 3 layer copies of the same brushwork (to start)

top - overlay - main or lighter color
    middle - main color
    bottom - almost black

You can fool with the blending modes, but basically, layers will help a lot with the perception of depth and detail. This in addition to what Dar said...

The first one had a fog-plane effect. The second could have used more density, but it's better.

Yeah, this is a keeper. :D
  • grim, you faun is cute :) ok, you likely did not want that word, but...
    nice :)
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • ladyfur said:

grim, you faun is cute :) ok, you likely did not want that word, but...
    nice :)

Aw, Ladyfur, I do appreciate that!  *I* don't mind at all- HE might prefer "daunting, threatening, dangerous" or something of that ilk. ;)
  • Oh my, I have not been here for a few days and it looks like I have to catch up a lot!

Have a new one of Socair in the meanwhile. 

• Very nice Mav!  Great posture in his portrait, and as always-yum.  :)

This is something I've been working on off and on for a month or so- Master of Swords is what it's called.  Originally thought to put it into a contest, but well....  That time has passed.  Eh, well. 
    Master of Swords sm.jpg
    625 x 937 - 312K
  • Wow, Dar! This looks sweet. Love the colours and the very nice contrast you have going on in the metal shield. It's a rather lovely effect!
  • Thank you LT!  IT started off when we were talking about the Nouveau Style in 3D and kinda went for the Dar(k) Side and kept going.  *Chuckle*
  • Wow, that is amazing. Hands down my favourite Dar picture.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!