3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Do Cyber-Chickens Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • Finally finished the fight scene that several of you were helping me out with in the WIP thread. Hope you like the result. Comments as always, welcome :)

The Wrong Side of Town
    The sun was low on the horizon, heat still coming off the concrete and brick walls of the enclosed space as the young woman wandered into the deserted courtyard. She laid her bag and jacket down on a paint peeled bench seat as she surveyed the boarded up doors and windows of the high rise blocks. Somewhere in the distance there was the roar of an engine, whilst closer a tin can clattered and rolled. Nerves skittered down her spine; she needed to get off of the streets before dark. Maybe she could find a way into the building. The fire escape looked promising and there was no boarding over the nearest window, only broken glass. Quickly walking to the base of the ladder, she reached up to take a hold, but as she placed a foot on the lowest rung, a boot scraped behind her and someone snickered.

'Well little lady, you looking for a room? Only this building belongs to the Eagles and looks to me like you're trespassing'.

Startled,she tripped backwards off the ladder and spun to see two rough looking men staring at her, their gaze assessing her from head to toe, lingering over her breasts. Suddenly she understood how the rabbit felt.

'Maybe she has the rent money in her bag there'. Hell there was another one behind her. Stupid stupid stupid. How had she not heard them? Why hadn't she paid more attention to the feeling of being watched.

'I'm more interested in what she has in those leather pants she's wearing'.  As they closed in on her, she shouted, shoved and kicked and ran. Training and instincts taking her away from the entrapment of the wall and into the open.

Suddenly an engine roared into the courtyard and a motor bike slid and spun, all screeching tyres, rubber and metal on concrete. A dark shadow leaped off before the bike had finished spinning, landing on one of her assailants, fists flying.

Three against one was odds she had no chance against, but two against three; she could put some of those training sessions with her brothers to good use.

Minutes later, the three bullies were either out for the count or crawling away to lick their wounds. Judging by the killing looks she and and the biker were getting, she sincerely hoped that she never saw them again. A small smile lifted the corner of her mouth, kicking that one in the jaw had been very satisfying though.

Her saviour was sitting dabbing blood from a split lip and what might be a broken nose. She pulled a handkerchief from her back pocket and went to hold it to his nose. 'Here, let me. It's the least I can do. Thank you. I think you probably saved my life, or worse'. OK, now she was babbling!
    _____

Flinching he pulled his head away and took the cloth from the woman's hand, holding it to his nose. He didn't think it was broken, but it hurt like hell and a tooth felt loose as well. When he didn't answer her, the woman's hand fell to her side and she looked away, flexing her fingers.

Finally he said 'You OK?' and nodded towards her hand. She looked down. 'Bruises. Hurts more than it used to in practise'.

He scrambled up and went to pick up his bike, 'always does'. Straddling the seat he stared down, absently rubbing the new scratches on his bike and wondering how he was going to repair the paintwork.

'Thank you.  For you help!'

'You said that.'  He leaned forward over the handle bars and chewed his split lip, looking at the woman and then around the empty courtyard, shadows lengthening as night fell. She hadn't moved since handing him the cloth and as he looked back at her, she lifted her chin defiantly, somehow managing to look both brave and lost at the same time. He sighed and sat up, pushing down with his foot to start the bike; 'Guess you need a ride, get on!'
    Fear flashed across her eyes and she took a step back. He snorted as he adjusted a pair of goggles over his eyes, wincing as they brushed his nose. 'Don't worry, you're safe enough with me.

She nodded once and went to retrieve her bag and jacket; for some reason believing him. Climbing on the bike, she held out her hand; 'Thanks! Again! My name's Yasmin'.
    This time, he took it and pumped it once in a hard grip. 'Zeke. Hang on'.

Yasmin was briefly flung back and then grabbed for Zeke's belt, as they roared out of the courtyard and into the night black streets.

FightForum.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 478K
  • Well done. You put all of the elements of the picture together in the story nicely. :)

• Terre said:

Well done. You put all of the elements of the picture together in the story nicely. :)

Thank You :)
  • Welcome. :)
  • Ah, picture came out quite well! Man, she's kicking in way close!
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Nothing special...was just trying to stay in practice.

Shantung's back.

A little later, between shows, Shantung might come out to stand at the
    bar and talk to the people in the club, smoke, and drink something
    really strong and read the newspaper. Management likes the talent to
    show skin during working hours, so he's in the shorts that lace up the
    side and urban assault boots (can't see those).

Once you get him to talk, you realize he ain't from here, and his accent
    is like a particularly fluid sort of German. No, not Austrian, but
    that's close. And not.

He's holding his glamour, so no sparklies this time; but he doesn't care
    if you see his ear-points. Nobody thinks they're real, anyhow, so he
    has some fun with making people do a double-take. This ain't no sci-fi
    convention, baby, it's a strip club, so it's not exactly expected.

Production notes: DarwinsMishap's Scion character, a little tweaked up
    to be Shantung; with Jepe's M4 hairy overlaid. Everything he's wearing
    is from my freebie page! :D Bar is Powerage's Hype, with assorted
    bottles and glasses from other sets. Smoke, hair, eyeliner, nail polish,
    framework and general attitude all done in post; rendered in Poser Pro
    2012 using IDL Studio stuff and my own light setup.

It's Friday night! Cheers!

Shantung2a.jpg
    1790 x 2200 - 494K
  • Are those condoms on the bar?! lmao
  • I think they are just coasters... :)
  • Are those condoms on the bar?! lmao

I think they are just coasters... :)

OMGLOL!

<3
  • It's all in the details.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Yes, just coasters--but I like the condoms idea better! Dang. Wish I'd thought of that.
  • Trrrkie grrrl has some used and unused ones still in the wrapper in her freebie zone if memory serves me right.
  • Bingo! I'll have to go look that up. >.>
  • I double checked, trekkie girl did the morphable, used one, the one in the wrapper came from hellboy soto. Google soto and condom and you should be able to get hold of it.
  • or ask vincent ;)
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Finally a new one, not quite as glorious as I wanted it to be but I ran out of patience. Still I think it works. Operations like these tend not to have titles. You just would not want to leave a paper trail.
    Picture will re-appear once I have hunted down and exorcised the little typing devil that keeps messing things up.
    Render-2.jpg
    1200 x 660 - 558K
  • Psst - "people" not "peole"

Really, no need for a caption on this one. And I love that diner set. Seems a lot of deals go down in that booth!
  • Nanobot said:

Psst - "people" not "peole"

Really, no need for a caption on this one. And I love that diner set. Seems a lot of deals go down in that booth!

Arrgh, again with the wine! Somebody stop me from typing....Will go and fix that in a sec, or two. You are right about the booth, it works a treat. Mind, I changed the window surface to high quality glass from the magic mirror collection.
    It also is the first time I actually properly played with making my own magnets to make the pizza slice droopy.
  • I love the expressions. You can hear them talking. And you can "hear" her smirking.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

I love the expressions. You can hear them talking. And you can "hear" her smirking.

My work here is done! I have always wanted to make somebody hear a smirk.
    :-*
  • Oh, can somebody tell me why the Spartacus hair of Daddy DeadShot does not produce reflections? Is it vampiric?
  • Could be vampiric.
  • Nanobot said:

Could be vampiric.

Turns out, the visible in ray tracing box was not ticked, and since reflections are ray traced...must be set to that originally.
  • That must be the vampire secret: not visible in ray tracing!
  • I love the way the brick turned out. I just wish there was a way to deal with the pattern repetition.
    No clue on the movie, sorry.
  • Terre said:

I love the way the brick turned out. I just wish there was a way to deal with the pattern repetition.
    No clue on the movie, sorry.

Those bricks look very good.
    You can't really, sadly,  I've seen photoshop tutorials that at least help in making seamless patterns, so it doesn't become as obvious, one hopes.
  • Seamless helps quite a bit.
    The problem is that I have a very logical pattern seeking mind so I end up seeing the duplication quickly in spite of the lack of seams.
    Useful when taking a picture based logic test about 30 years ago but an inconvenience when viewing some other things.
  • i have a clue as to how to to seamless tiling, but it is manual...
    take your image.
    make a bg that is 4x the size, so that four of it would fit on it.
    paste image one in top left corner.
    take image 1 and flip him so he faces the other way as image 2.
    paste that next to image one on the top right corner.
    go beck to image 1 and turn him on his ass, or head,
    whichever, i can't think right now, so he is the upside down as image 3
    put him underneath the top left one.
    now flip him as image 4.
    put him in the last space, bottom right.

now thake that composite of the 4.
    it is the new image 1, call it image 5.
    make a new blank, 4x the size of the first blank.
    repeat as above, until you get enough iterrations as you like.
    voila!

ok, i said it was manual, but it will give you seamless...

i do hope that helped.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Tailored suit... check.
    Expensive car... check.
    Big house... check.
    Love of a beautiful woman... check.

But best of all, the furry partners in crime.  :D

LT, the boots textures are fabby.  :D  Thank you.
    lynnpower.jpg
    630 x 881 - 469K
  • That is marvelous! :D
  • Nanobot said:

That is marvelous! :D

Heeee!  I wanted an excuse to use the boots again and I'd been watching Long Way Down and cute puppy shows lately...so I ended up with a North African businessman and his favorite things in life.  LOL!
  • Well done. :)
  • They look great! Nice to see someone else using them after a whole lot of my own test renders.

• Unlike a lot of texture artists, I LOVE it when I find someone else's work that's good enough to stand next to my own stuff and will immediately snap it up and make use of it.  These really are outstanding, LT.  I'd say that they're better than what I might be able to come up with (eventually, if my life ever manages to settle enough that I can do more texture work).

I really look forward to seeing you do more projects like this.  My runtime will be happy for them.  ;)
  • I have this scene idea in mind, but the casting department is letting me down. So far, they haven't found the right model, not anywhere near, no way.

Ah well. Maybe I'll pay them a visit tomorrow.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Onsen.  (Yes they should all be nude, butI did not want to startle too many people...
    orig-expression.jpg
    1071 x 1684 - 518K
  • Love the fact that you are developing this group more. One question on the framing of this shot though... right now, the focus is the dwarf's bum. The entire composition leads you down towards it, from the fact that it's centred in the lower part of the frame, it's also the largest element, and that the other two figure's positions and gaze centres him as well – all of which draws the eye downward toward his bottom. 

My eye has a hard time staying above that lower half. A bit of reframing may help, but I guess the better question would be, what was the idea behind the image? Knowing that may help to figure out what could be done about the framing to improve it.
  • I agree with LT entirely. 

Also, yes, they SHOULD all be unclothed (or all clothed depending on the story context) because having just one unclothed figure makes the whole thing feel off... and emphasizes the dwarf's state of nekkidness in an unaesthetic and perhaps even negative way.
  • Touchee. Originally Daddy DeadShot was coming out of the changing room in his birthday suit and the two were sharing a moment, as it were. Then self-censorship kicked in and I wasn't thinking about repositioning the camera. My bad, really. Thinking about it now, I should probably have changed her expression to be maybe somewhat startled or "appraising the goods". Again, too late now.

But thanks, for telling me, gotta watch out for that in the future.
    Talking of developing that group, gotta work on the triptych this week. Got the page mapped out in my head now, so should be relatively straight forward from hereon in.
  • Wayii said:

I agree with LT entirely. 

Also, yes, they SHOULD all be unclothed (or all clothed depending on the story context) because having just one unclothed figure makes the whole thing feel off... and emphasizes the dwarf's state of nekkidness in an unaesthetic and perhaps even negative way.

Wayii, believe me, they originally were, all of them. Again, may I refer to my earlier answer. Self-censorship! Also, if they had all been in the nude, I couldn't have posted it here and while there is now a place I don't think it would have belonged in artistic nude or erotica, since it is essentially not about the nekkidness.
  • Hey, I get there sometimes too. I've canned projects where I have stepped away from it and come back to it and thought, 'crap, that isn't working' because somewhere midway I changed my mind on the subject. Just keep it in mind for the future. Looking forward to seeing more of the triptych.
  • Context and intent.  They're even more important than good lighting. 

It's
    like writing -- you have to be able to direct your audience's attention
    where you need it to be to produce the desired emotional response and
    to tell the story you've got in mind.  And yes, I know all too well it's
    a whole lot easier said than done.

Also, like writing, if you lose or change the story mid-chapter, everything comes out muddled and the potential of audience frustration skyrockets.  >.<  I know because it's a mistake I used to make all too often on canvas where the canvas and paints were not always affordable for me.
  • Wayii said:

Context and intent.  They're even more important than good lighting. 

It's
    like writing -- you have to be able to direct your audience's attention
    where you need it to be to produce the desired emotional response and
    to tell the story you've got in mind.  And yes, I know all too well it's
    a whole lot easier said than done.

Also, like writing, if you lose or change the story mid-chapter, everything comes out muddled and the potential of audience frustration skyrockets.  >.<  I know because it's a mistake I used to make all too often on canvas where the canvas and paints were not always affordable for me.

I agree, Poe called it "unity of effect". Know what you want the audience to experience and then tailor everything towards achieving that. Normally I don't have that much of a problem sticking with my original idea, but in this case I just didn't want to take that risk. and things got muddled. You know, so what, live and learn. Stick with your guns, I guess, and don't let the integrity of your idea be compromised.
  • Exactly. 

And besides, if the end result winds up being a dubious fit for the forum, ask Xaa, Nan or LT to look at it before you post and see what they have to say.  You might be surprised.  And if it's too iffy... well that's what links and pre-clickie warnings are for.
  • Sleep. (I really like it , and hope you guys do, too. (my only annoyance is the gradation in the background, does anybody know what I can do about that?
    Sleep.jpg
    1572 x 1000 - 475K
  • Nice, peaceful scene there. Of course, I'm partial to blues.......
  • *hears snoring*  ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!