3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Welcome to the (Concrete) Jungle
  • ladyfur said:

jack: thank you. i have let her know.
    i'll let shadow know about the guildhall
    once he's awake :) whew.

dyla: i didn't read the article yet, but...
    if it's british, shouldn't it read:

'give it to yer' missus, you lazy git,
    because you'll just make a right
    mess of the whole job, you know
    you will.'

instead? ;)

yep, or "you'll make a right pick's ear of that"
  • ladyfur said:

you will.'

instead? ;)

Pig's ear?

or is that, "Pict's ear?"
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Forgive me, pig's it is. Seemingly a single glass of wine is enough to mess up my spelling.
  • ladyfur said:

you will.'

instead? ;)

*snort*
    precisely
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Nanobot said:

ladyfur said:

Ozzfest said:

Nanobot said:

Dream Home stuff comes in placed to fit all the other bits as if they were there. There IS a pose that will center it, but damn me if I can remember where I got that! It's somewhere in the DAZ forums.

Pssssst....
    It's in the member's only forum, though.
  • copied from DAZ forum:

A Pose Set To Move Each Dream Home Room To The Centre

http://www.david.eaton.ukgateway.net/DHCentrePoses.zip

It is IMPORTANT that you read the ReadMe inside to understand exactly what this is and how to use it.

In brief:

There's one pose per room. Apply the pose to the matching room and that
    room will move to the centre. In the case of the Retreat, it will also
    drop to ground level.

Do NOT apply the poses to the furniture after loading the furniture
    presets. That will NOT move the furniture to the centre. If you want the
    furnished room in the centre 1) load the room, 2) load the furniture
    preload, 3) PARENT the furniture to the room, 4) apply the centre pose
    to the ROOM, not the furniture.

If you apply the pose for one room to another room, it will move the
    other room to the right place to fit with the centred room the pose is
    for. E.g. if you load the study, and apply the study centre pose, the
    study will jump to the centre; if you then load the Foyer-Living-Room
    and apply the study centre pose to it, it will jump to the right place
    to fit with the study being in the centre.

The poses are in Poser pz2 format and in a Poser runtime structure. They
    will work perfectly fine in D|S too. (Actually I did the posing of the
    rooms in D|S, and used the PoserFormatExporter to create the pz2s.)
  • Raetjor said:

Forgive me, pig's it is. Seemingly a single glass of wine is enough to mess up my spelling.

OR...you were making Scottish jokes. :D
  • Attention please:

We are going through our basement, doing a spot of cleaning and have found some items that need good homes.

The entire Time-Life series on Sewing, bound, in reasonably good shape.

A REAL, hand-made, blued chain maile shirt, sleeveless, plus some other chrome-y chain mail & rings. I used to wear the shirt, but I was a wee little thing, then. >.>

I do not see myself sewing fancy stuff nor wearing chain maile again soon, except as jewelry. If you want any of this stuff, please PM me here or email me--just click on my avatar and you can do that from my member page.
  • http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/full-metal-bodysuit-for-m4/92232

This seriously has LT's name all over it. He needs this!
  • Yeah, had a real "saw this and thought of you" moment.
  • Oh cool!

Almost sent me into a *wantwantwant* spin, but one has to be reasonable. I really, really have no render ideas to use it in.

And besides I already overspent on the sale.

LT just has to use it.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • thank you, nanobot :) i just ccp'd it to redwoodcats, and i d/l
    that zip for her, as well as sent her jack's message. i'm sure
    she will be happy to get a fix, of the file, i mean, not how
    that sounded, lol.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • I saw that over in the Commons in the Superhero thread. It's not bad and it would save me time on doing Colossus. But part of what makes my version mine, is the hand drawn lines. 

I do like Joe's stuff, most of the time, so I may pick it up for when I feel lazy. :D

Thanks for thinking of me, guys! 
  • @LT - You can be lazy when he's not out front. ;)
    ladyfur said:

thank you, nanobot :) i just ccp'd it to redwoodcats, and i d/l
    that zip for her, as well as sent her jack's message. i'm sure
    she will be happy to get a fix, of the file, i mean, not how
    that sounded, lol.

But Poserizing is an addiction! *hee*  DreamHome was hard for me to cope with, too, until I found that pose set.

Now, here's another solution: MinFig is just a kind of blank figure--no geometry--that you can parent stuff to and then move the MinFig, to get stuff to move as a group.I use this a lot for sets. This way, you can arrange a bunch of things together--like more than one DH room or a bunch of DM set stuff--and move it all at once.

MinFig:  http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=55533
  • The only problem I see with the product is that I'm not certain I can pair it up with the displacement maps for M4, which is what makes Colossus look good. Since he's obviously using displacement to make those grooves, I don't think I could mix and match, without some kitbashing... I suppose that's okay. I could figure it out... For $6, it's really worth having.
  • The only problem I see with the product is that I'm not certain I can pair it up with the displacement maps for M4, which is what makes Colossus look good. Since he's obviously using displacement to make those grooves, I don't think I could mix and match, without some kitbashing... I suppose that's okay. I could figure it out... For $6, it's really worth having.

If nothing else, for the included shaders.
  • Oooo!  Ioanna (StudioArtVartanian) just put out another really good M4 character AND a nice set of african hairs.  Rawr! 
  • Seen and wishlisted, :) I know she bases her some (most?) of her characters on celebrities, but I can't peg this one. I keep thinking Lenny Kravitz though..
  • I don't care! He's very rawr-worthy and another good one.
  • Oh, I don't care either, I was just curious. And the hairs are just fantastic.
  • http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=187220&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
    France is in the hospital and has a 50/50 chance of surviving after having had heart surgery.
  • oh my!  *says a prayer*
  • Bleh, promised myself I wouldn't buy ANYTHING else at the Daz sale.. then I saw the genesis ponytail and the displacement maps.. plus the new hair by Neftis.  I'm such a sale whore.. LOL

I've been setting up a new computer.  Dedicated renderbox, finally.  Will be nice to play some TOR while I render a piece or do a Bryce scene since they take forever to render. I seem to vaguely remember a program that will auto install the daz installers.  Would love to use it for the bryce stuff, a million files there.  Anyone know it?

Can I use the old Bryce 5 and 6 stuff with 7?  

hmmm...

Oh, and I LOL'd about the asking for social media page passwords in an interview.  Yeah right.  NO! I think it's funny to ask for your prospective boss's in return.. :D

• From the Robert Genn newsletter for today:

Look who's buying art now

March 27, 2012

Visiting last night with one of my really wealthy friends and wandering once more among his many art acquisitions, including a few I'd not seen before, I was once more catching the drift of his habits. He insisted on telling me how much he'd paid for this and that. They seemed big prices for big mediocrity from big names. That's only my opinion--apart from his bad art, he's got some of mine too, so I didn't say a word. He also told me he'd flipped a few, "even in this bad market."

My friend fits the profile of many collectors. They're in it for the game, the name and the fame. Investment is a factor. As well, many collected works are bequeathed to museums where a tax receipt gives year-end relief to the wealthy donor. For some reason, all of my collector friends who fit this profile are men.

Recent studies are showing a sea change in earning power and discretionary spending. In the USA, among couples where both partners work, 40% of the women now earn more than the men. The stats on university attendance are also telling. Sixty percent of students enrolled in higher education are now women. If present trends continue, in twenty-five years women will outnumber men in medicine and law. Physics, engineering and professorships will not be far behind. In studies of families where the male still maintained a higher income than his spouse, discretionary spending decisions are nearly equal. On the other hand, in families where the wife's income is higher, it's the female who makes most of the big decisions. The persistent scenario, frightening to some of the blokes, is that CEO mom goes shopping after work while dad is home feeding crackers to the kids and watching Barney.

And what particular art are these rich gals buying? In my observation, they're not so much interested in the game, name or fame. In the last few years I've not heard one single active female art buyer utter the word "investment." They're more interested in connection, shared experience, life enhancement, tailored quality, nest-and-nurture, soul-polishing, and yes, décor and colour-coordination. Funnily, while women do more measuring than men, big size is not so important. I would be really interested in what gallery owners have to say about this, but women seem often to be making art decisions based on lofty ideals, genuine emotions and high sensibilities. Is it that women have better values than men? More imagination? Better taste? More sense? Or is it just less testosterone?

Best regards,

Robert

PS: "Women are asking what privileges their own breadwinning buys." (Liza Mundy)

Esoterica: In what I call FABE (the Female Art Buying Explosion), women have less hesitancy in collecting women artists. This may be partly because female-run and female-owned galleries have risen dramatically. In the years I've been painting, the percentage of female artists in galleries has slowly crept up. A few galleries now represent more women than men. Considering female artists outnumber male artists 80/20, there is still a way to go.

• More inspiration:

And since I use Vue and keep up with the Quadspinner stuff, his Helios tool preview page is not only very snazzy but great eye candy. I thought it was inspiring to see what the relatively high-end can do. Mind you, I have no clue how much it will go for, but hey, we can window-shop, right?

http://www.quadspinner.com/helios/
  • Interesting.
  • Hmmm, something hinkey going on.  My PC membership seems to have been extended another month.  Flagged as non-renewing, no charges on my paypal account.  Last i checked it was supposed to run out 3/25/12.  Now says 4/25/12.  I must have a secret benefactor at Daz or something.  image
  • Might as well take advantage of it.
  • I accidently bought the monthly instead of the year at the last time the renewal was on sale.  Silly me!
  • A gown for V4 in Poser and D/S3 and the V4 shape for Genesis is in the works. I hope this sells well enough for the vendor to keep on doing things like this.
    http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=187481&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
  • Some *superb* Poser/DS models here, same guy as TruForm at Rendo. All models are at $5, meaning there are some full sized, fully furnished, fully rigged houses at 75% off. Check it out!

• Thanks for the link. :)
  • Thanks X 2! 
    ladyfur: 'in your easter bonnet, with mandrakes all upon it, you'll be the faeriest fella in the easter parade...'
  • Aha! Fun stuff! Coflek-Gnorg's new Cyber Gear sword and shield.  The promos have a little tutorial on how to make your own textures. :)

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/cyber-gear/92538#
  • Very cool.  Not my style, and I could nit-pick it a bit, but it's still cool.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Xaa said:

Very cool.  Not my style, and I could nit-pick it a bit, but it's still cool.

It's nit-pickable, very true, but it does have the looks-nifty value.
  • Yup. One of those sets that sacrifices realism for the cool factor. I think it'd be great in a futuristic arena combat situation.
  • Terre said:

Yup. One of those sets that sacrifices realism for the cool factor. I think it'd be great in a futuristic arena combat situation.

Yeah, I have no idea how the shield would work--without also being the sort of thing that could lop off chunks of you if it got too close.

But for virtual battle? Good stuff.
  • I was thinking Dark Future with actual blood sports. But a milder one with virtual stuff would work too. LOL
  • Well, the loser of the virtual tournament could get just as dead. ;)
  • @Nanobot

On a side note, you're on a list of M4 resources as 'Cold Tuna' not Cooltuna.
    ladyfur: 'in your easter bonnet, with mandrakes all upon it, you'll be the faeriest fella in the easter parade...'
  • LOL!  Well, usually I bill it as Cool Tuna. Heh. Which resource list?
  • Welcome, Terre and Puffle.
  • *chuckle* Not new, AP. I asked Nan if she could correct the fact that I forgot to capitalize my nickname when I'd intended too. :)
  • Nanobot said:

LOL!  Well, usually I bill it as Cool Tuna. Heh. Which resource list?

http://m4lists.wikidot.com/m4-freebies

/wave@Angelus :3

LOL.png
    793 x 335 - 21K
  • Ok, blame it on the New Yorker, heh. Meant to say You're Welcome. We tend to drop words here and there.
  • /waves back
    Well, Puffle is fairly new. LOL
    Also blame it on me being too literally minded for my own good sometimes. Besides, I did ask Nan to make that change while you were off doing real life things. :)
  • Nanobot said:

LOL!  Well, usually I bill it as Cool Tuna. Heh. Which resource list?

http://m4lists.wikidot.com/m4-freebies

/wave@Angelus :3

Oh, great googly-moogly. That's especially stupid because I helped with compiling that list! BaleenSavage hasn't worked on it in quite a while, s/he said.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!