3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Welcome to the (Concrete) Jungle
  • Raetjor said:

Does anybody know if there is a set of surgical masks and caps for v4 and m4 out there?

Here's the one I used in a recent update of "The Barbarians", you'll have to convert them to fit.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=20835
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • GMTA!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • My partner and I have hashed out details on what we wanted, but due to life sticking its ugly head into the pictures it's been difficult to start on that rendering challenge.

Which, for me, is totally understandable. I still want that challenge when it's feasible- we haz idears! :D I'm up for more, of course. Right now I'm working on a Lighting Challenge and a Hair Painting Challenge for other forums, too.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • surochek said:

Raet, you make me hurt! This is a lot of grading!

Yep. But then there are the corckers my pupils come up with like claiming one of the killer diseases in Victorian Britain was Chlamydia (should have been Cholera) or that the School Meals Act (1906) introduced by the Liberal government ensured that children could now get one healthy, notorious (not nutritious, mind, that would have been too sensible) meal a day.
  • Xaa said:

Raetjor said:

Does anybody know if there is a set of surgical masks and caps for v4 and m4 out there?

Here's the one I used in a recent update of "The Barbarians", you'll have to convert them to fit.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=20835

RDNA http://www.runtimedna.com/HARDGore-V4-Med-Mask.html Five bucks. More expensive sets on daz3d.com. I can't get onto there from here, though.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Xaa said:

Nanobot said:

Actually, speaking of render challenges...

Interesting thought.

interesting indeed. As for Nano's question: Maand I had to post pone collaborative work because we are both snowed under with other work, and I don't know how far AP and GRIM got.
  • We hashed out details and decided on a theme- until life kicked us both to the curb work-wise. We had to post-pone as well.
  • Thanks Dar/GRIM that link to RDNA was just what I needed.
  • surochek said:

Like, working on the same image and improving? Or different images and seeing improvement?

The latter. The point is to do something, learn, and move on to the next thing and not kill yourself or your inspiration by driving one image into the proverbial ground.
    Xaa said:

Nanobot said:

Actually, speaking of render challenges...

Interesting thought.

Thanks. It's very art-school, I realize, but that's a main reason for this forum, anyhow--aside from hanging around with you guys! Which is always good.

Neither LT nor I wanted to set ourselves up as judges, but we'd offer help and prizes, like gift certs or something useful and fun.  And one image a week--well, hopefully that wouldn't over-burden anyone. I'm a little afraid that if we went to a longer period (2 weeks) people would be too easily overwhelmed with daily life and it would fall apart. There needs to be a *little* urgency.

Like: Declare your subject matter and work on it. Example: Jim likes to do vintage style pinups, so maybe he'd work with that. Or perhaps he might feel he could benefit from working on architecturals or landscapes instead (not that I'm saying you have a weakness there, Jim, that's just an example).

Or, Surocheck loves toons and does these little folk figures brilliantly. Perhaps she'd like to work on realistic portraits with backgrounds because she wanted to learn more about doing them.

Or Jack decides to do animal figures or Cornish Faeries ;)

Or maybe you want to learn a specific technique, like Noir lighting or how to do very Brian Froud-style renders of a whimsical nature.

And why just use Poser or Studio? Maybe LT wants to play and decides to do ONLY landscapes in Vue. For that matter, I suppose you could just do digital painting, if that was your desire.

Point being, pick something you want to improve in and then gently work on it for a while and build a skill. And sometimes, the skill is learning how to work consistently!
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • So the idea is not to spend six weeks on a masterpiece, but to do a series of smaller works. That in itself is a challenge for some. And by the time you're done...you have a body of work!
  • I like that, Nan! Definitely art-school, and definitely what we're about here. And probably what I need right now, a little direction.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

I like that, Nan! Definitely art-school, and definitely what we're about here. And probably what I need right now, a little direction.

Sounds good. There are a few thinks I'd like to improve on. I really struggle with portraits as opposed to scenes for example.
  • Nanobot said:

So the idea is not to spend six weeks on a masterpiece, but to do a series of smaller works. That in itself is a challenge for some. And by the time you're done...you have a body of work!

How about doing a story from a script?
  • I ask because I have the entirety of "Metropolis", including lost and deleted scenes, as a preliminary shooting script.  I was toying with the idea of cranking it out in Poser, but I could see that as being a good long-term art project for everyone.

Scratch that, see post below.
  • And hey, Metropolis is pretty noir.  Bonus.

Scratch that, see post below.
  • Hey, Wayii, apropos to nothing (love that phrase...), I've been on a Star Wars kick recently. I've seen lots of clothing and one particular head prop (the Lekku I think they're called?) that I like and would fit great in my universe. Can I use the lekku for some of my alien characters despite the fact that it's not Star Wars related at all?

That said, hi, all, :)
  • Hmmm...  In reviewing it again, Metropolis is a bit long, and it's only a preliminary work, it would take a lot of interpretation and probably far longer than six weeks to render it all.

I do have a shorter script that is in final shooting script form - the 1927 version of "Phantom of the Opera."  That could be done in six weeks, and is definitely noir.
  • Interesting!
    Xaa said:

Hmmm...  In reviewing it again, Metropolis is a bit long, and it's only a preliminary work, it would take a lot of interpretation and probably far longer than six weeks to render it all.

I do have a shorter script that is in final shooting script form - the 1927 version of "Phantom of the Opera."  That could be done in six weeks, and is definitely noir.

At first blush, this sounds rather daunting.

Well six weeks and six scenes is what I was thinking--lowering the bar a LOT from your suggestion.But if someone has time to work that? It would be radical cool.

What I would like to achieve with this challenge is personal satisfaction of the participants, first of all.

Getting a bunch of people all on different schedules to all work on one script...hmm. I think we would need to work UP to that!

Mind you, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea, myself! :D
  • PS - please feel free to tell me I'm full of crap and this is way easier than it sounds...!
  • Xaa said:

Hmmm...  In reviewing it again, Metropolis is a bit long, and it's only a preliminary work, it would take a lot of interpretation and probably far longer than six weeks to render it all.

yes
  • Honestly, I'm afraid to commit to anything collaborative at this time. But six renders in six weeks on a related theme in the way of an exercise? That would work.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Well, there's nothing (and certainly not me) that says that those that want to work together on the Phantom of the Opera can't do that if they want to! Others can do this challenge. Or maybe collaboration IS the challenge. ;)

Trying to be kind of loose here. I don't think I could collaborate. And as for working to a script--yes, I could try that. On the other hand, I *still* have not done my silent movie from way back when!

Silent movies, they seem to be a theme today. I was reading about Essanday Studios in Fremont, Calif. today, too.
  • Hey, Wayii, apropos to nothing (love that phrase...), I've been on a Star Wars kick recently. I've seen lots of clothing and one particular head prop (the Lekku I think they're called?) that I like and would fit great in my universe. Can I use the lekku for some of my alien characters despite the fact that it's not Star Wars related at all?

That said, hi, all, :)

I can't see why you couldn't.  It's your vision after all.
  • Nanobot said:

PS - please feel free to tell me I'm full of crap and this is way easier than it sounds...!

Actually, no, I think I am, and it would probably be way harder than it sounds. ;-)

Nevermind me, do carry on.
  • I wouldn't mind seeing someone else do a famous script... But I'm not good on deadlines, timelines, or any kind of lines these days. Or is it any day?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Yeah, suro. dItto over here. Time is extremely short for me and I'm afraid, it may get shorter soon (in a good way for me, but bad for time to render). I'd love to participate in some way, though if we do it in the way Nan and I talked about this initially, I would more be in a support role. 

I thought this was a great idea then and I still do. But it came on the cusp of all the changes over at DAZ and I think we just lost steam over there.
  • Xaa said:

Nanobot said:

PS - please feel free to tell me I'm full of crap and this is way easier than it sounds...!

Actually, no, I think I am, and it would probably be way harder than it sounds. ;-)

Nevermind me, do carry on.

It's still a *fabulous* notion! I'd like to look at that script.
  • Oh, and this seemed so timely. It came in my Robert Genn newsletter--his words, not mine.

In the studio or on the road, many artists find they're at their most creative when they're simply on the lookout for joy.

When a job has some sort of outside payoff--typically cash--it's known as an "extrinsic reward." When there's no payoff except for the joy, it's known as an "intrinsic reward." Experts are now seeing intrinsic reward as the silver bullet of motivation and a principal key to evolved work.

A revealing study by Teresa Amabile and colleagues at the Harvard Business School tells some of the story. The researchers asked a number of artists to select 20 of their works of which 10 were commissions and 10 were from their regular production. A panel of curators and art experts, knowing nothing of the nature of the research, were then asked to rate each work on creativity and technical skill. While skill ratings turned out to be pretty well the same, the commissioned works consistently rated lower on creativity.

In my experience, grants can have a similar affect. By the time the bureaucratic slot machine paid off, friends who recently applied for long greens were burdened by "receiver's remorse." Projects lost their lustre and creative quality suffered.

While we may work to perfect our craft, and we definitely need to be challenged, to get the best from ourselves we need to pretend that nothing of what we do is actually work. A creative thriver needs to be an independent self and a seeker of joy. If joy's not in you, you might need to delude yourself that it is.

Blessed are those to whom a sense of joy comes naturally. But artists need to be reminded that the squeezing of joy is also a responsibility. There's an irony to it all--it's been my observation that the most blissful players are the hardest workers.
  • So he's saying that the "Work hard, play hard" people are the happiest, in addition to people being happier and doing a better job if they like the job they are doing. The former makes sense and I've seen a lot of the latter.
  • To be perfectly honest, I'm not surprised. Compare it to schoolwork: I bet you hated writing essays or even books you were told to read, whereas doing a research project ( I.e. writing about something you cared about) or reading a book of your own choice was much more enjoyable and motivating. Why? Because you had an intrinsic motivation.
    So why should it be any different with creating art, or losing weight or giving up fags? It's easier and better when you want to do it than when somebody else wants you to do something.

In fact I.'m working on a commissioned piece at the moment and find it hard to get excited by it because it does not quite resonate with me. Doing a portrait of a fanatic cybernetics engineer is tricky when you have story to go with him if you want to avoid it looking generic that is. Now, if there were a story to tell there would be more of an intrinsic motivation there...
  • For most people that's exactly correct. It certainly is true of my job.
    For me, not so much with school, because I'm one of those who just liked going to school and find reading and learning almost anything to be interesting.
    I did have one funny experience in 9th grade. My English class was doing a comparative lit. section and the two books we were to read were 1984 and Brave New World. I had to track down the former (found it in the Classics section of a book store) but I already had the latter. My dad had given me his SF collection a a few months earlier and I'd already read Brave New World. LOL
  • I find I must be able to at least conjure *some* enthusiasm for a task, and have become fairly adept at finding that motivation, because damn, I am the world's laziest creature when unmotivated.
  • I'm like you, Nan, and sometimes I can't even summon a shred of motivation -- except maybe guilt. Which gets things done, maybe effectively, but not what I'd call "well".
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Guilt doesn't work for me at all.  Cash incentives don't do much better, sadly.  Really, if I'm not stoked on the idea alone and possessing an abundance of time... the results will always be lackluster -- if I manage to finish at all.

The busier I am, the more this holds true.  It's why I've become so amazingly niggardly about taking on obligations.  I take obligations very seriously (even if they're minor things) and will suffer long term remorse (and sometimes actual distress) if I don't fulfill an obligation once accepted.

I know.  *sigh*  I'm a total basket case.
  • Wayii, you have an almost over-developed work ethic. :)  Its muscles have muscles. It's also a bit whimsical!

I have NO room to talk...I'm horrible at commissions, to the point where I just don't accept them.
  • Nanobot said:

Wayii, you have an almost over-developed work ethic. :)  Its muscles have muscles. It's also a bit whimsical!

I have NO room to talk...I'm horrible at commissions, to the point where I just don't accept them.

I blame it (and a few other emotional oddities) on far too much negative conditioning as a kid. 

To complete a task or fulfill an obligation brings a profound sense of relief.  The longer it takes to do this, the more anxiety I feel.  That little lizard back-brain under everything else associates taking too long or performing poorly with physical and emotional pain.  Unfortunately, the anxiety this generates tends to create failures when it gets too much.  *sigh*

So working well and quickly on something I find interesting or aesthetically pleasing induces strong feelings of joy.
  • Oh my, talk about harsh training. *hugs*

Here, let me distract you with beautiful decay: North Brother Island in New York, where they kept the real Typhoid Mary. Hospital closed in 1962, now a bird sanctuary and restricted.

http://northbrotherislan.blogspot.com/

• That is beautiful. Lots oh hidey places for both ground and tree nesting birds too.
  • Oh yes oh yes. MANY birds and very jealously guarded sanctuary, too! It's lovely and spooky!
  • I've been by there!  Sorta...it's freakin' fantastic to see. 

• "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.

• Nanobot said:

Oh my, talk about harsh training. *hugs*

Here, let me distract you with beautiful decay: North Brother Island in New York, where they kept the real Typhoid Mary. Hospital closed in 1962, now a bird sanctuary and restricted.

http://northbrotherislan.blogspot.com/

Ooh, now then.. that's what I'm talking about ;)
  • I know, Jack. I makes me want to model it an plonk it down in Vue, too.
  • GRIM said:

I've been by there!  Sorta...it's freakin' fantastic to see. 

Sorta? :P  The pictures in the blog post were nifty, too. Fire hydrant in the middle of a forest: perfect!
  • This made more sense, speaking of trying out your poses before committing them to ink.

http://funniest.1000notes.com/post/16968179424
  • LOL! I saw that one and almost hurt myself...once for snorting my java and twice for trying that posture...........it's a good thing this goth boi is freakin' flexible. XD NOT COMFTORTABLE!
  • I"m going to sneak up and brave the wrath of my oldest one of these days... The poses she finds comfortable are just... just... and then she does art in them.

Or maybe I'll just look. Approaching the wild thing with a camera is very hazardous to my mental health.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Nanobot = too old & round to do anything of the sort. Weird pose! Even if I weren't old & round, my hip joints just don't swivel like that. You ever had a charlie-horse in your hip?

Masha - yeah, bendy young'uns, they'll do all sorts of odd things. I was NEVER that bendy. EVER.
  • Nanobot said:

This made more sense, speaking of trying out your poses before committing them to ink.

http://funniest.1000notes.com/post/16968179424

Hilarious.
  • Nanobot said:

Nanobot = too old & round to do anything of the sort. Weird pose! Even if I weren't old & round, my hip joints just don't swivel like that. You ever had a charlie-horse in your hip?

Masha - yeah, bendy young'uns, they'll do all sorts of odd things. I was NEVER that bendy. EVER.

All of the above seconded and confirmed. I was so non-bendy I sometimes felt like a freak. Everybody can sit cross-legged, right? Easy, comfy, right? WRONG!! I never could.
    Suspiro ergo sum.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!