3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Other Noir
  • I wouldn't think a FS2011 conversoin would be so hard to do since there already was the old version to base it off of.  Seems like it wouldn't have been so hard to make any necessary changes to the new figure.  But since I know nothing about XDs coding, I would be way off base.
  • I agree with Wayii- those things are FANTASTIC.  Got the first set of test renders done and damn woman-talent.  Thank you again for those.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Elynda said:

I wouldn't think a FS2011 conversoin would be so hard to do since there already was the old version to base it off of.  Seems like it wouldn't have been so hard to make any necessary changes to the new figure.  But since I know nothing about XDs coding, I would be way off base.

I suspect that it's not so much a question of difficulty but more one of spite.  The guy who made the base FemaSu figure got caught doing what the majority of this cottage industry does and won't admit to -- borrowing bits of mesh here and there in his design of the now-infamous Eva figure.  The in-crowd crucified him for it and made damn sure that the rest of the community (at the time) would turn pitchfork-waving mob.

Some of the commercial crowd still wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire in the middle of their propane storage shed.

My opinion of the matter... well I suppose it's obvious.image
    F-U.png
    543 x 885 - 307K
    F-U.png
    543 x 885 - 306K
  • Wow, not too distorted! Nifty. <3

And shoot. Mesh borrowing. image  Not sure if I'm rolling my eyes at the stupidity of doing it or the stupidity of crucifying someone like the treatment he got. Maybe both.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Mind you, if you don't follow the flow of the underlying mesh somewhat, you are going to have bending issues. So, they're going to look sorta similar in some ways.
  • Nanobot said:

Ohhh, I love this image. I only wish it had a touch more contrast on the side of his face to bring his features out.

Thanks! I actually want to re-render it as it was my first experiment with IBL lighting and DOF and I think it turned out a little too soft and fuzzy. So any suggestions as to improvement gratefully accepted. :)

• Since you asked so nicely!

I don't create DOF within Poser, myself; I do it in Photoshop afterward. But ask LT, he's been experimenting with it. I think you used it to good effect here, although the room around him has all but vanished. Perhaps intentionally! He's concentrating, after all.

Of course, with a picture where there's no background to speak of, using DOF is rather pointless. I use it to make a figure pop out of its setting, the way LT did with Tak ( http://3d-noir.cooltuna.com/discussion/comment/1471#Comment_1471).

Me, I use IBLs the same way I use indirect lighting: as a fill light that picks up the colors of the environment and blends a figure nicely into its setting. This is really rather a critical thing to do! And I think you did it very well.

Light from the computer is nicely done, there. I think you understand about all lighting being motivated, at least in theory if not in camera. However, a little extra kick (as LT says) to bring out his face is what I'm itching to see in a situation like this. Not a full spotlight--I mean, who works with a spotlight on their face?--but may a very narrow spotlight with a short falloff distance, or a point light with a short falloff to bring him out of the gloom in the room. At the very least, it should reflect in his glasses.

• Now this makes me wish for a really big monitor -- a big canvas to work on, ya know...

If wishes were fishes... Hey! Let's see, do I have fishes in my runtimes??
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Oh, Femasu looks great, Wayii! That shirt (second skin?) is very lovely. I really, really, need to buy her... don't know what's stopping me really, heh.

If I may, a little tip. Rendering with a black background helps get rid of the white halo of pngs. :) 
  • Oh, Femasu looks great, Wayii! That shirt (second skin?) is very lovely. I really, really, need to buy her... don't know what's stopping me really, heh.

If I may, a little tip. Rendering with a black background helps get rid of the white halo of pngs. :) 

The shirt is part of Prae's Xerxes for FemaSu outfit.  I highly recommend it as well as the M4 Xerxes outfit.  The texture set I did works on both.  :D
  • That's Xerxes?? Wooooow, nice! Like I told you before, you've done work for outfits that I would have passed by otherwise, but you make them *pop*. Gorgeous stuff!
  • That's Xerxes?? Wooooow, nice! Like I told you before, you've done work for outfits that I would have passed by otherwise, but you make them *pop*. Gorgeous stuff!

I've seen other people say the same. :)

I really, really like the outfit.  All together or just using pieces in a mix-n-match ensemble, it's very cool.  I wish I had versions for V4, M3, V3, Slon and Fon too (it didn't fare too well in XD when I tried it and as we well know, EI hasn't done a Fon license... the bad man).
  • What was wrong with it in the conversion? Out of curiosity.
  • What was wrong with it in the conversion? Out of curiosity.

I always seem to get the little mesh spikes on the arms and legs that stretch out between limbs or out into nowhere no matter what settings I use in XD.
  • Oh, I see. I always get that with gloves... any XD users here that may be able to help?
  • I mainly use XD to do the initial mesh shaping, import as a single mesh into MAX and smooth the mesh errors, then group, export, and do the rest of the conversion by hand.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Nanobot said:

Since you asked so nicely!

I don't create DOF within Poser, myself; I do it in Photoshop afterward. But ask LT, he's been experimenting with it. I think you used it to good effect here, although the room around him has all but vanished. Perhaps intentionally! He's concentrating, after all.

Of course, with a picture where there's no background to speak of, using DOF is rather pointless. I use it to make a figure pop out of its setting, the way LT did with Tak ( http://3d-noir.cooltuna.com/discussion/comment/1471#Comment_1471).

Me, I use IBLs the same way I use indirect lighting: as a fill light that picks up the colors of the environment and blends a figure nicely into its setting. This is really rather a critical thing to do! And I think you did it very well.

Light from the computer is nicely done, there. I think you understand about all lighting being motivated, at least in theory if not in camera. However, a little extra kick (as LT says) to bring out his face is what I'm itching to see in a situation like this. Not a full spotlight--I mean, who works with a spotlight on their face?--but may a very narrow spotlight with a short falloff distance, or a point light with a short falloff to bring him out of the gloom in the room. At the very least, it should reflect in his glasses.

Thanks for the advice. Will give it another go when I get my new 64-bit machine. Hopefully some time this week :)
  • Waiting on a new machine! Hey, that's great!  Felicitations on the new compy!
  • Another old image, but it fits the "Noir" theme.

Title:  Would Anyone Even Notice I'm Gone?

wouldanyoneevennoticeimgone.png
    1000 x 1023 - 944K
  • *shiver*
  • Well, yes, actually, we WOULD miss Posey, especially as Jim does her. :)
  • That hits close. *hides under covers* (which means it's really well done)
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Suro,  
    I just noticed in the first render you had lovely shadow behind the character, then when you relit it, you lost all the shadow.  I think the fall off is important on the light trick with the point light, that way you don't light the background so much, just more the face of the character.  You could also put a spot behind the character and to the left side and do a bit of rim light to separate her from the background.  (recent trick I learned)  

• Oh, I like it Xaa.. very haunting image.  I like the edgelight on the face, and not really seeing that much of her features, really exploring the whole feeling of being not noticed.

• Inspired by Lovecraft..image

• He's too distracted. They're going to get eaten!
  • Well, they killed it.. that's the splashes on the wall.  hmmm. maybe it should have a bullet hole or two, I'm new to 'dead creatures'  lol
  • Delaney, I'm not sure which picture of mine you mean, but I do have that problem indeed.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • PS: A couple of bullet holes in the wall where the light hits it? Would that do it?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • If it's inspired by Lovecraft, his stories only had two endings - monster wins, characters dead; monster dies or is avoided, characters permanently insane. ;-) 

Edit to add: The exception is stories like "Pickman's Model", which have a third ending - monster avoided or was already dead, original character who encountered the monster dead (or permanently insane, in the later pastiches by Derleth and others), investigator who discovers the mystery traumatized by horror. :P
  • Fortunately "Pickman's Model" is only -1 sanity point. So having read it doesn't make me that insane.
  • I think Suro's idea of bullet holes in the wall could work quite well.
  • Oooohhh bullet holes in the brick may do it.. yes...I"ll have to play with that!! Thank you!

And I was talking about the last one with the lady in the spaceship.  If you use points or spots to just illuminate her, you can set the fall off so it doesn't hit anything else behind her, just hits her.. or use a rim light from behind to hit her edges, then you can have the best of both worlds..attention on her, but still really nice shadowy room behind.

What version of poser are you using?
  • Xaa, you do have a point, there.  So, she's slowly going insane, he's debating on whether he may have to shoot her next.   j/k  LOL!
  • Ah, the spaceship commander. Yes, she may need a revisit. Thank you.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • So here's the revised version of 'Working Late'.

New lighting, new PC textures and Nan's Hipster glasses :)

What do you think?
    Kyle1368Forums.jpg
    1320 x 1638 - 441K
  • dylazuna said:

So here's the revised version of 'Working Late'.

New lighting, new PC textures and Nan's Hipster glasses :)

What do you think?

Very nice, the skin is coming outa treat inthat light. I'm just not quite sure why he is facing away from his monitor looking at nothing. I'd have either his head or his torso turned a little more towards the screen, or, alternatively make sure there is something there that gives him a reason to stare into the mid distance. maybe put a little more clutter on his desk to show he is working on something, and maybe a mug of coffee or some kind of beverage.

• :lol:  OK bad title change. The original title was Late Night, which probably isn't much better. As you can see Kyle isn't actually doing any work, but wistfully thinking about Zeke and wondering where he is and what he's up to. Meanwhile Kyle is being held captive (literally) by his boss. Not quite sure how to convey that as obviously it didn't come across well.  Storyline link is here http://dylazuna.deviantart.com/favourites/47874134 This scene goes with Chapter 2.
    Mug is a nice idea though. Might have to redo it again :)
  • Then turn his eyes distinctly away from the screen to indicate his mind is very much elsewhere. Also be sure that he's not perfectly symmetrical in his pose (and this looks a bit like it to my weary eyes--long day, here).
  • Mmm. It probably is pretty much symmetrical. :(
    I based it on my sister. She used to work for us for a time and I'd look up and see her sitting like this. Think it's the 'I could be working but I'm not'  pose :)

• dyla: nice updated pic. your site won't let me
    read because they are too stupid to know i have not
    needed to be carded since the 80's...

i'm sure the story is fine.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Just something a little different.

Ergh... okay, I've decided I don't like Nutz' head much.  Grafting the MilCat's noggin onto him and having another go.

There.  I like this one much better.
    mousetrap.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 423K
    mousetrap.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 415K
  • Sweet! Aw, I like the deranged metal kitteh.
  • Nanobot said:

Sweet! Aw, I like the deranged metal kitteh.

The main problem I have with Nutz' head is that it doesn't have that distinctive triangular wedge shape to it that says "cat" to me.  It's almost doglike. 

There really need to be more cat-bots out there.  Lots of dog-bots out there... but just little Nutz for the kitties.  >.<
  • Hmmm...now, if I were to make a critter...*hee*

Nah, I have too many modeling projects as it is...
  • i love that cat!
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Omg, I want that cat!

And just because I can....

Goodluck getting that out of your head now mwahahahahahaha
  • Nutz is free at Content Paradise at the moment.  Or it was, I don't know how long the free thing is.

LOL It's been forever since I saw that video!  That one and the Sparta song always made me smile.  And that's a good thing today, since Mom M had to put her dog Roxy down in the middle of the night last night and I've spent most of the evening up there helping to cheer the inlaws up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!