3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Works in Progress
  • First step is that I added a tad bit of flesh like color to the alt. diffuse node along with some tweaking of the alt. spec nodes.  More blue to the nails (pales or otherwise) made them look more cadaverous, so I may do a mix of things to fix this.  I have a test running at the moment, I'll post that when it's finished.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Ok- The mid-point of the nail re-work.

Not finished- but I am.  XD  I'm being called, so until later everyone have a good one!
    nail start.png
    788 x 766 - 613K
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Playing with ink ideas- very basic and nothing other than black and white right now.  They won't be all together when I'm done- I'm thinking geometrics for one option, and either traditional or decorative for the second.  First test render.image
    playing with tats.png
    788 x 766 - 425K
  • Looking pretty darn good! Yes, some more vascularity available for elbows and hands and feet--always good. Those teeth look great.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Inks are nice designs. The halftone's a hoot. :)  As always, there's a need to dial back the intensity of the inks...but this is initial design, yes. The incredibly ornate skeleton is very cool. :D
  • While the ink seems really cool in theory, something about it is off (not merely a saturation/overcrispness thing).  I really like the skeleton design.  That being said, the way it is framed in the large latticework doesn't sit well on that shoulder.
  • Oh, yeah.  I am just playing- so these have been put on and nothing else done to them yet.  For the skeleton, it's placement and size for the moment, and for the half-tone it's getting those "wings" up around the base of his bicep muscle.  Once I get a feel of where I want them, then I'll work on the rest.  For the shoulder piece, I definitely think it's the size of the tat that makes it seem really off.

For the half-tone, I'm wanting to mix a few ink ideas I've found.  The Black Tattoo idea is different enough I think to stand out, and with the geometrics I would like to add maybe a color or two into the idea.
    halftonegeometry.jpg
    900 x 758 - 162K
    wpid-dlya-teh-kto-ne-sobiraetsya-tut-shutki-shutit-vse-po-ser-eznomu_i_2.jpg
    600 x 528 - 53K
    creative-full-sleeve-tattoo-by-Delaine-Gilma.jpg
    562 x 620 - 121K
    color-geometric-tattoo-on-full-sleeve.jpg
    460 x 610 - 42K
  • I'm getting to see a sleeve get created at work. The Big Boss's son is getting one done in stages. The first three are complete. Sailboat on the ocean with setting sun colors above it with early evening sky above that. This covers his wrist to elbow. If i remember correctly the final part will be the night sky.
  • I like that second one.  It's stark and major without looking too overdone.
  • Nice, Terre.  I have more than a few friends that have sleeves, so I got to see the process (as well as how much cash they invested) back in the day.  Expensive, but done right they can be fantastic.

Yeah, Wayii- I was liking the first and second myself.  I really want to try the second type, if I can figure out what I want and how to get it to look right.  lol  I'm doing ten hours a night now (just got home, in fact) and half the time when I turn the comp on and open PS, my brain refuses to even attempt to work until about an hour before I have to leave.  I may end up taking my sketch book to work and see if I can figure out something during my piddly half hour lunch break. 
  • Was wandering around Phlearn.com and found this tutorial about taking a tat from one photo and adding it to another (using Photoshop).

• I vote with the second tat as well. That's beautiful and detailed without being fussy (as so many tats are).
  • Thank you for the vid, Nan!  And, yeah, I've been leaning toward the second, even if I love the first almost as much.  I just have to figure out how to get something of the sort into something that looks good.  My attempts so far haven't been the best.  I think my brain is at a standstill.  I'll keep tryin'.  XD
  • n working on trying to get that second wrapped around the diff map of the limbs.....oi.  S'all I gotta say.  Hadta stop, so I piddled with free tattoo sheets on him and may work on these instead.  Though, I don't think the chest tat I found IS free.  I may not be able to use it, but for now I'm still piddling.  I need to clean up the mech/flesh one and color both arm tats- but so far I like these two quite a bit.

imageimageimage
    different set.png
    788 x 766 - 590K
    different set2.png
    788 x 766 - 472K
    different set3.png
    788 x 766 - 660K
  • It's definitely getting there.  :D
  • Still working.  I took off the chest tat- it was copyrighted.  There is a new rib/hip tat on the torso, color on the demon and I did piddle with coloring and cleaning up the bioflesh sleeve.  Though the renders here show a different set-calligraphy on the bicep and a forearm band.  (Which.........just just knockered up trying to "fix" the seam.  SIGH)  Will post the last idea for a sleeve, and be done for the day once it's done rendering.  After my decision, it'll be no more fiddling, but tweaking. ;)imageimage
    updated tat.png
    788 x 766 - 657K
    updated tat2.png
    788 x 766 - 624K
  • Ok- here we go.imageimage
    updated tat3.png
    788 x 766 - 538K
    updated tat3a.png
    788 x 766 - 471K
  • Side Tatimage
    side tat.png
    788 x 766 - 609K
  • I am.... ambivalent about the red demon and maybe about the side script with the bird.  The full sleeve on the other arm is shaping up wonderfully though. 
  • Honestly, I am as well.  I was liking it at first, but the more I look at the demon the less I do.  The script was an idea I had from another's tat that he had along his side.  I am liking the full sleeve, however.  So much so I may get rid of the others and see if I can work either a chest portion to it, or another partial on the other arm in the same style.
  • That may be the right instinct.  Again, tattoos are tricky.  I've seen a lot of truly terrible ink both virtual and real over the years and I've seen some utterly beautiful stuff as well.  The sleeve arm is good.  I'd totally keep that and possibly build from it. 

Bear in mind these are my opinions -- nothing more weighty or worthy than that.  My aesthetic is by no means the guidepost to awesomeville.  ;)
  • Oh, I know, but I Value your opinions. ;)  

The sleeve I'm keeping and will continue to tweak.  The other will be tossed- I'm angling for a half-sleeve of the same style there.  The torso may or may not be tossed or used as a different style to choose from and a few more of that same type for the limbs.

I worked on this idea for two hours after work.  I'm going to offer a Glasgow Smile as an option as well.  Just got the placement ideas (using photos of real attack victims as a reference) and coloring of the scar down.  Added a cheap disp. and bump for now to get an idea on how they'll look to start.

glasgow smile start.png
    788 x 766 - 683K
  • another angleimage
    glasgow smile start2.png
    788 x 766 - 785K
  • As scars, the facials are a nice option. The trend of having bloody gashes on faces as options is getting tired. Scars, on the other hand, done with a light hand, go well with the whole Bad Boy thing and can take some of the edge off the Pretty.

I know little about tats--having none--but I'd agree with Wayii (whose tats I love--she has stylized bats!)

When LT has done Japanese sleeves on his Tora character, I always liked that they also curved onto the chest and back, echoing the musculature on both places. It harmonizes nicely with the body instead of looking like someone attacked him with a big ink stamp. :)
  • lol I adore you, doll.  XD

I'm working with several Tommy Flanagan photos along with medical photos of others who's had this style of scarring "given" to them.  I want these to "feel" right, not just be slash and gash and craptastic.

See, I'd Love to figure out how to do those sort of tats. I have ideas, but damn if I can't get what I see in my head onto the PS page and onto a friggin' figure.  *sigh* I don't want the "I've been Stamped" shyte either.  I *will* get this figured out and done the way I see it and hopefully succeed on that end too. 
  • And adding stubble.  Just starting on this one.  .......along with the rest.  lolimage
    stubble start.png
    788 x 766 - 751K
  • The SSS pass after the IDL pass.  Shows the disp/bump maps. 

sss pass.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 210K
  • The render in !13's Freedom IDL set.  Which...I adore.  Seriously.  Very low render settings, and am rendering another brighter version. (Just noticed today- May have to re-work the spec map  or get rid of it and use the specular node system a bit more - except for the scar. )image
    Stubble start with IDL.png
    788 x 766 - 702K
  • brighter IDLimage
    Stubble start with IDL2.png
    788 x 766 - 774K
  • So far that's looking very good.

Aweee, Nan, sankoo!  Yup, there's a Chinese style luck bat circling my left wrist, a black tribal bat around the right wrist, a fire and water knotwork band and yin/yang nestled wolves on the right upper arm and a serpent around my left...plus a bit of something on the back of my neck and in the trashy stamp spot... and that's about that for now.  Eventually I mean to have more.  Eventually.
  • Working to get the two MR's skin tones to match- and a new eye option and I fixed the two specks in the eyebrows.

imageimage
    updated stubble and eyes2.png
    788 x 766 - 701K
    updated stubble and eyes.png
    788 x 766 - 746K
  • Spamming now, I think. lol  Checking under the jawline.  I'll stop. Promise.   I'll need to work it further outward, I think, to get to the corners of the jawline itself.  Other than that I think I like the placement and how it's progressed so far.image
    another stubble angle.png
    788 x 766 - 637K
  • Nah.  Keep it coming.  I at least enjoy seeing the progress and chattering about it on and off as time permits.
  • Yeah, me too!

Damn that tone matching is a beast. The first stubble looked more like skin irritation. This is still a bit dark.

I'd almost argue for painting the damned stubble.  >_<  Using a set of brushes made from the MR, actually, that might work. Photoshop CS6 will let you tinker with randomizations to the point where a brush would not look like a stamp. ;)
  • Thank you, ladies.  ;)

Hm...to be honest, I hadn't thought about making a brush from the MR.  I have CS5, so those randomization options should be there as well.  That's an idea, thank you! I wonder if I can work dual color tones into the brush as well for a better looking stubble, or not worry about it since it's just....stubble.  lol

I've been working on chest hair too, fyi.  Just did what I did with the stubble at first; placed it, fiddled and saved to render to see what the first test looked like.  *Snirk*

I was asked if I was planning on working JCM's or weightmapping into his morph...Cripes, I've never even thought of that.  Should I attempt this or not? Hm.

barely there hair.png
    788 x 766 - 552K
  • May have to see about that jcm idea- his hips, no matter how he sits, gets those nasty creases.  Oi.  Oh, Maori tats.

full body.png
    788 x 766 - 280K
  • I went to the Rendo store to look for the very good body hair brushes that Jepe once had there. Not there any more!  >.>  They would have taken care of your hair problems for sure.

Have to get to work real soon. I'll send you a site mail here tonight about the brush situation.  Maybe I can help there.

And, Maori tats - he's far from Maori, but they look good! The bold, fluid designs are just right. :)
  • Well done.  And rather current-trendy as well.  :)
  • Thank you both!  He's no Hawaiian, but as Wayii stated I went for trendy.  Better than the usual "tribal" crap out there.  
    Oo.  Sight mail.  IF you don't mind, Nan.  My brain...and loss of links..Can I get a re-link and password reset to my personal email if ya don't mind? I've tried to get back to the site mail for cooltuna.com for a while and for whatever reason I just can't type it in correct to get to it?  I'm bad.  I know. I'll go hang my  head and sit in a corner for a few.  >.>  Entertain myself, an' all. <.<
  • Entertaining yourself sounds...squishy.  @_@

Instead, scroll this page until you see the bottom box on the right-hand column. There's a link for "Inbox." Go there. I am leaving a message for you. :)
  • Thank you!  And......maybe.  Sorta.  XD Squishy.  "I shall love him and pet him and call him "Squishy""
  • Don't know if it's of any interest, but here's a link to Nagel's brushes. Am sure there used to be a stubble one in there somewhere http://um3d.dc.umich.edu/lounge/showthread.php?tid=58

I never realised there was so much involved in tattoo art. It's been interesting (and educational) reading through the thread. Think he will be a wonderful character once he's finished.
  • Thank you, dyla!  I'll look through there, for sure, and I'm hoping so. ;) I decided to actually render him out and post process it as a portrait this time.

artistic.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 337K
  • Wow. He's gorgeous and yummy. Love the soulful look in his eyes. Heavy sigh. Have actually stopped eating breakfast to drool :D
  • hadta lol- his expression.
    A different light set, updated stubble maps (subtle and somewhat splotcy?)

lol.png
    1500 x 1500 - 2M
  • OMG, he is swoon-ful. Is that a word? It is now! What Dyla said. You are my new favorite M4 character maker!
  • .. You are way too sweet.  XD  Thank you!  I'm working on his eyes again atm.  Let's see if I can fix the purple lacs. ;)

• Eye rendersimage
    updated again.  this time no IDL, using IBL. (Turns out the renders were taking forever because I made a rookie mistake-trying to render both at the same time as in the first eye and last face render.  oops.)

eye 1.png
    788 x 766 - 576K
    eye 2.png
    788 x 766 - 608K
  • and the partial profile.  Done for the day. ;)

side view ibl.png
    788 x 766 - 620K

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!