3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Works in Progress
  • As long as Poser doesn't go subscription.  I couldn't give a rat's ass what they do with Studio anymore.  DAZ burned those bridges thoroughly.
  • Hah. This we know. :)  It was just the "how can we squeeze another farthing out of penniless hobbiests" factor that amused me (in a dark and dreary way).

And Poser doesn't get updates often enough to make subscriptions anything like sensible.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • I'm still primarily using Studio 3, so they're not getting a sub out of me for new versions if that's the direction they're headed.  I'll just have to save up to upgrade from Poser 6 if necessary.  Anyone care to help me learn a good workflow for Poser?  XD

I dropped PC on DAZ back when they decided that $1.99 wasn't enough for PC products anymore.  I'm not going to throw away more than that for impulse buys on products I'll probably never need.  I don't make enough money for that.  I'd rather give my hard earned cash to the artists at Rendo and RDNA who make quality products instead of all skimpwear for the latest Victoria.  And I have no problem tweaking poser materials so they look good in DS3 if I have to.  

I'm still using M4 and V4 because I don't want to re-buy all those morph packs for Genesis 1, 2 and 3.  I understand the meshes might be better, but even with what I did buy for G1, I still can't get anywhere near the variety I got with the gen 4 figures.  I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but it feels better to get it off my chest than to let the frustration keep building.
  • Terre just poked me and told me you were pondering Poser, etc.

*poked* *blinks*

Wayii used Studio 3 and liked it quite a lot, but she eventually moved herself into a late model Poser. She's not a lady who goes jumping into new tech willy-nilly (LOL) but she has done it!

Poser Pro 2014 (don't bother with the game-ready blah blah blah unless that's your specific focus) will give you tools for making content AND a better general experience than 6. It's quite a nice improvement overall. Jim (Xaa) is our uber-Poser-wizard and may weigh in on this, with luck.

Workflow, hmm. One of those things I've done so often that thinking about takes a moment!

For me, with still images (I don't do animation).

Start in Pose room (the default startup spot). Spend one session with basic sets and lights with the goal of creating a default startup state.  Delete that horrid Andy thing, first.

Now, I have the RDNA RenderStudio 2014. Start with Environments and use their tutorials on indirect lighting (IDL) because that's the way to go, really. Colm's work is a HUGE jumpstart for Poser users.

I have their IDL sphere with a single infinite specular light, the ground plane (of course), and the Cove background (it's a photographer's paper roll, basically) and a single point light

That's the starting point.

From there, for non-dynamic clothing:

Nude figure(s) loaded.
    Are they interacting with set items (chairs, etc.)? Load those.
    Pose main and auxiliary figures at the origin (x=0, y=0)
    Position Main Camera
    Load in sets
    Set up lights
    Test renders
    Clothe figures, add materials
    Adjust everything
    Test render like crazy

THEN do a final render at high quality.

I must do over a dozen test renders for each artistic scene. Then I render large and do postwork in Photoshop. But that's me.

• Actually it was Studio 2.3 I used and liked. 

Studio 3 was the beginning of the end for me and DAZ and Studio 4 and Genesis put the last nails into the coffin and drove me straight into Poser 7.  Which wasn't all that awesome and was a massively ugly transition but still beat the pants off Studio 3. 

Poser Pro 2014 is what I've got now and it's scads better than Poser 7 and all the Studios put together. 
  • There you have it. Hi, Wayii!!
  • Studio 3 annoyed me initially because I couldn't use Apollo with it, but they fixed that and I've been reasonably happy with 3 since (bought advanced for $2 on PC sale one year).  I just hate DS4 though.  Especially the fact that it wont open any of my save files, even those made in 4 since my runtime hasn't moved to that new My Library folder, it's still where 2.3 put it.  >.>

I'll have to have a go at Poser 6 at some point then.  I need to save my pennies to get Poser Pro.  Maybe tax return time.
  • And keep an eye out for Poser Pro sales. They have them and usually advertise on RDNA, at the very least.
  • grim, that was another pretty male face you made. you're good at that.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Thank you so much, ladyfur!
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • New WIP's of a G2M.  Oubre is his name.imageimage
    Teaser WIP.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 428K
    Teaser WIP 2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 403K
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • now that is versatile, grim. hard to believe that's all the same face. impressed! :) good luck with him.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Thank you!  Still working on him, but I got his gens done finally at least.

Update: This is Naidich for M4 in Poser 10.  Just a teaser on one facial option.
    FINALLY.jpg
    700 x 700 - 352K
  • Tat Idea WIP

FINALLY 2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 122K
  • body shot!image
    body shot.jpg
    700 x 700 - 196K
  • updateimage
    scarring magi.jpg
    700 x 700 - 172K
  • yet another pretty one, grim. you are on a roll. :)
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Thank you very much! :)
  • Awesome work as always, Dar!  So many delicious details.  :3  And I just love the eyes for Oubre.
  • Thank you so very much!
  • Another update-Oubre, G2M.
    Bloody Smirk.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 343K
  • this is why one should always have drop cloths available when using red paint. :)
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Hee! Or lots of blood being spilt.
  • Speaking of spilling blood.  Piddled last night in Silo.  Made a Machete.  XDimage
    machete.jpg
    834 x 776 - 150K
  • tested it in Studio, parented to the rhand and smart propped as a figure asset.  My Oubre for G2M is modeling it for me.  piddling with materials still, rendered in Iray.imageimage
    machete.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 628K
    Machete Angle 2.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 788K
  • impressive!
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Thankee!
  • Naidich again- different make up and a new scar.image
    The Stare.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 894K
  • Bouncing between characters here: another sneak peek at Torrun-G3M.  I'm going to render a version without the guy--liner. Not sure if I like it or not.image
  • that has a rocky horror floor show look to it, grim. good job.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!