3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Nursoda Noir!
  • I think your Biblical poses are wonderful. I grew up with a different notion of religious art (like this), so I find it odd to make pictures based on religious themes, but I also grew up with the Louvre in my backyard, so admiring similarly-themed pictures done by others isn't odd at all. And as children's illustrations, I think toon characters are perfect.

OTOH, I did do a Gumdrop Christmas creche. But that was more of an exercised in the style of a French folk tradition.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Hi Suro...thanks for your input too.  I struggle with realism.  I chose this painting as part of a classical series, and as a self-discipline for accuracy, and I had hoped lighting, if it can finally be rendered.  However, I know that during that time historically, they would not have used a long table with a cloth, nor would they have been in colorful Roman clothing.  The scriptures refer to the custom of reclining while eating, and that alone totally transforms the scene.  Also, the clothing for the poor of their day was much more simple...and most people of this social standing had little more than two tunics, and one cloak.  I've read where a piece of this clothing was worth a man's life, since they didn't have clothing stores like we have today...thus the mention of "if a man has two tunics, give one away...", implying that someone who had two was rich...and reveals why the soldiers gambled for the clothing at the foot of the cross.  Someday I want to do a more historically accurate version...but I'd sort of be on my own in terms of composition....and as I've mentioned before....the clothing, what a challenge it is to actually get it close to accurate.  I've also read where it was custom in many cases to remove all clothing during crucifixion...but there's something in me that I cannot inflict that further humiliation to anything regarding the Lord, but I did use it years ago in ministry/teaching situations in order to help adults with histories of childhood sexual abuse...that He truly went through the humiliating things that people go through today, in order to share in the pain, and enable the recovery.  I've only done one render of this nature, the camera positioned to the side with very low light, but I've never posted it online.   So...when I say that I struggle with realism, now you know what I mean....I mean REAL-ism...which for most of us would be deeply touching, and sadly, offensive to most.   A close friend of mine often says of me "still waters run deep"....and so it is with art work too...I have to take breaks when I work on the crucifixion, because of the depth of impact....so one could say that I very much need the humor of Slon and Hein...they balance out the more serious pursuits....and my humor swings out just as widely in the opposite direction, even more so.  I love Frank's little critters, so I hope he will continue creating them  :D

• That is a very intense and interesting approach and aspect of realistic religious art -- something I had never considered. It also goes to the difference between what Orthodox Christian icons are and what realistic religious art is -- two very different realms and volumes of discussion.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Indeed...and it takes a certain amount of courage to be a pioneer...in anything.

By the way, the name "skylab" isn't about space stuff....it's sort of a prayer....the idea of "receiving God-inspired ideas...in the spirit, from His Kingdom"....so it's like "sky laboratory".

:D

• That's an interesting origin. I'm afraid I'll always associate your screen name with SkyLab, though. My strongest memory f Apollo 11 is my dad's excitement so I picked that up.
  • Most people do, and that's okay.  I try not to come on heavy with a critical flavored religion, the way some have done to me by email...haha.  So, thinking that it's space related is fine.  One has to admit, my humor can be rather orbital sometimes....haha  :D

• Which is part of why you'll get along fine here. We've got several flavors of religion here, both of Christianity and other faiths. Being able to get along with people who think differently from yourself is a big part of what Nan looks for. :)
  • What Terre said.

And I think that one of the first Skylab poses I've seen was a religious-themed one, so I've associated "Sky-" with "Heaven" just as you meant it. But if I had seen one of the sci-fi-ish Nursoda ones, it would have been different.

Oh yes, weird-odd humor is us!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Good work. :)
  • Wanted this group to be the first to see this...after much experimenting with characters in Poser Pro 2014, I've finally found a character and clothing combination that may work for the Supper scene.  I would never have guessed that the G2 models would have been the best options.  I'm working on a G2 set of Supper poses to upload soon (will work with any G2 model, Simon included in P7 or James G2), and here's a first render of James G2 wearing the Roman Senator from CP.  Just letting you know since some showed an interest in the project, and I'm still working on Hein's scene and pose set.

JAMES-G2-LS-WIP.jpg
    650 x 609 - 127K
  • Looks really good!  Are you using Historical Curls hair?
  • Looking good. :)
  • Thanks Terre  :)

Someone has posted a nice freebie this morning...it's a cart and harness for the Mil Horse.  It's unique for two reasons...every little piece of it loads as a separate prop (part of it is under figures, the majority under props), but because it does load so unusually, the harness and saddle combo may actually work with other wagons that don't have a hitch.  Though it's not rigged, rotating x spins the selected wheel(s).  You might be interested in this if you liked the western stuff:  
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/69492/view/11/Poser/Cart-harness-for-Milhorse

• Thanks for that link. Neat set!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Someone made a realistic horse harness? Great! Most of what I've seen has been things that wouldn't actually work if you tried it.
  • Yes, Terre, my observation too.  I worked with the wagon and harness with the Mil Horse for awhile, and it will require posing the horse in order for it to fit, the default won't just pop into place.  I did try the LoREZ Horse and it too will work with posing and a little scaling. 

I'm hoping if enough support is shown to older figures that more folks will join in and contribute...and this is an example of what can happen, folks start working together more like a team and everyone benefits...much like this Nursoda team has been doing all along.

• Yay! Darn, you're fast!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • *chucklesnort* cart before horse indeed...

Well all that got me reinspired to work on a harness for Diamond. I want a Troika for my toon characters (including Gumdrops, but Hein will like it too). Time to revisit Fugazi tutorials.

Now I'm definitely NOT fast. NO ETA whatsoever. I also have a craft-attention span of... oooh, now that's a cool idea, and I've got just the...
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • He is cute and Jim grabbed him already. :)
  • skylab said:

You wouldn't believe the negative emails I'd get occasionally from Christians on the "other" forum...because I'd use or recommend a "wizard" robe, and I tried to reason with them that if it's the only thing available, I saw no cause to be unreasonable about it.

Those whose faith is weak are usually the first to take offense at others, and anyone who takes offense at a DAZ Wizard robe has a faith as weak as straw.

skylab said:

I've read where a piece of this clothing was worth a man's life, since they didn't have clothing stores like we have today...thus the mention of "if a man has two tunics, give one away...", implying that someone who had two was rich...and reveals why the soldiers gambled for the clothing at the foot of the cross.

Clothing wasn't worth THAT much back then.  Clothing then as now ranged from cheap rags to the garments of princes and the ultra-rich, but common clothing was well within the economic reach of the common man.   Also, they DID have "clothing stores" - we know this because we have Roman merchant's account ledgers and things from Pompeii and other historical evidence. Although what they considered a clothing store, we would look at as being closer to a tailor shop, and these shops were heavily outnumbered by the shops of merchants who simply sold fabric, needles and thread to make your own clothing.  Many people sewed their own garments, and it was a common daily activity for women of the household back then to make garments for the whole family.  Making, repairing, and embroidering or otherwise embellishing family garments at home was very much a normal and common women's activity all the way up through the late Victorian era, where factory-made clothing became cheap enough to render home-made garments obsolete.

The "two tunics" reference is not a note on the value of clothing at that time, but rather an admonishment to be open and generous with the less fortunate, and live a modest, frugal life. The full quote (from Luke 3) is "The man with two tunics should share with him who has none, and the one who has food should do the same."  Here the emphasis isn't on intrinsic value, but in aiding the needy.

The soldiers gambling for the raiment at Calgary isn't to show it was valuable. After all, if it was, they wouldn't have ended up dividing it between them. Consider:  How valuable is half a shirt?  In the story, it simply shows they were bored (I.E. the executions meant nothing to them), had little money, and had nothing else to do.  Some have said that the rich purple robe that Pilate draped on Jesus in John 19 is what they were gambling for, but Matthew 27 says the robe was removed before they sent him off to be executed.  The ancient historian Josephus argued that the garment they were gambling over was likely a priest's robe, woven as a single garment - but this only begs the question of where Jesus would have gotten a priest's robe, and what the soldiers would even DO with it once they had it.  They couldn't wear it, after all, they were Roman soldiers.  Perhaps sell it afterwards for beer money?  Who knows.  But, basically, the soldiers were bored.  The "takeaway" from the whole scene of the crucifixion is that at the time, it literally meant nothing to the people involved, it was an ordinary execution on an otherwise ordinary day, punctuated by the usual and expected mob scene.  In a day with no TV, no radio, no nothing, executions were frequently treated as public spectacle for entertainment - as we read Pilate did in this case, parading the prisoners before the mob and letting them choose which would be spared.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy

• The Hein Last Supper set, which was a lot of fun creating, has been completed, and is available for downloaded here:    http://www.sharecg.com/v/69714/browse/11/Poser/HEIN-LAST-SUPPER

Enjoy!

EDIT TO ADD:   Journal of American Medical Association article from 1986 happens to be posted at this link, interesting info on the subject:  http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/deathjesus.pdf

EDIT TO ADD:  Finally had a few minutes to check references concerning the value of a cloak being used as a pledge, or collateral, in financial agreements...brief mention is made in Exodus 22:26, Proverbs 20:16, Job 22:6, and Deuteronomy 24:18, as examples.   These practices are more fully explained in books which focus on interpretation of ancient customs and idioms in the middle east.  In the case of the very poor, their cloak would likely be the only thing left of value for business dealings, thus the extra weight applied to "if you have two, give to one who has none".   A person who had no cloak had likely either lost everything, or had always been poor, and would not be able to recover financially without help.   This explains also taking the time to gamble for the garment at the crucifixion...it was worth something in business dealings in that society.

HEIN-LAST-SUPPER.jpg
    650 x 333 - 52K
  • Nice work there. :) On all of those.
  • skylab said:

I even read where it was against the law for "ordinary" folks to have
    certain blue dyes, since they represented the royal purple, as you
    mentioned.

You're thinking of the various "sumptuary" laws throughout history, yes.  Most sumptuary laws were specific, often quite local in nature. During the reign of Edward III, for example the wearing of ermine in England was restricted to members of the royal family. The rest of Europe, of course, wore what they wanted. In France at that time, it was common for nobles who were not royalty to wear garments trimmed in ermine, both advertising their wealth and thumbing their noses at the English.

Interestingly, it was never actually illegal at any time for anyone to wear purple as a general color of fabric.  The Romans had a law forbidding anyone not a member of the Patrician class from wearing a purple-trim on the hem of their Toga or Stola (as that was the mark of the Patrician class), but that's about it.  The real limit to the use of purple was just that for the longest stretch of time, the only reliable purple color they had for fabric came from the Murex snail.  Unfortunately, it takes a ridiculous amount of them to produce enough dye to be useful - twelve thousand snails yield less than a gram and a half of pure dye, enough to color the trim of a single garment.  The dye-making industry at that time nearly drove the little critter to extinction, and as such, the dye itself was insanely, hideously, astronomically expensive.  So, it wasn't that it was illegal to wear purple garments per-se, just that the color could only be afforded by the fabulously wealthy. 

Around the late middle ages and early rennaisance, however, there was a shift to using mixtures of blue and red dyes, both of which were more easily available by then.  By the 1800's, purple was easily affordable to most people, thanks to more sophisticated chemistry, and nobody alive remembered why they hadn't worn it before.  Thus, the "urban legend" that purple was illegal for commoners to wear was born.

Really, modern people have no idea the kind of convenience we have today when it comes to fabric colors.  We can wear any color of the rainbow, today, and color-fast dyes are commonplace.  Yet just a few centuries ago, many colors were prohibitively expensive, and colorfast dyes were just a dream.

• Hey everybody....check out what's happening over at Rendo, announcing the soon release of a new free figure promising to be compatible with both Poser and DAZ Studio, created by former employees of the "other" place. Go here to see:  http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2868999&page=1

I've been spending time at the RDNA Poser Pro 2014 forum, and discovered the news there.

This should be really interesting to watch, and I can't get the smile off my face...hahaha.

• Worth keeping an eye on, that's for sure.

How's you project coming along?
  • We've got a pretty good mix of Poser and D/S users here. Several other programs too.
    Posting for Poser, Daz Studio, View.... All will be useful to people.

• It's been a super busy week.  I guess the easiest way to keep you all informed of pose set releases is if you use the link below to my gallery at ShareCG.  New stuff is always top of the list.  I'm using the pose sets for Roxie to set up props and lighting in advance for creating sets during the release of Dawn.  I'm taking a break from the Poser characters in order to complete the last M4 and Apollo western set hopefully this weekend...and take care of some real life stuff.   Hope all is well with everyone.  I noticed last year things got quiet on this forum over the summer, so I'm assuming the same must be true this year.

Here's the gallery link for the latest releases:   http://www.sharecg.com/skylab

:)

• Nice work. :)
    I posted the link over at another small forum I visit. Several people there are working with Roxie.
  • Apparently Mada is now part of that list.

• Some are familiar to me, yes. It looks to me like Daz is suffering a brain drain.
  • Now and then I go back to Antonia. I really like her, and I'm sorry there aren't more good textures for her. Or good everyday poses. And everything else, really. I'm thinking of using her a bit more. Speaking of not-V4.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • skylab said:

List was posted with brief answers to most frequently asked questions, and summarizing the 24 page thread thus far:

Hmmm...  And from the images, it looks like Chris Creek is basically saying "This what V5 would have been, if we hadn't gone with that Genesis idea." 

While I'd like to say "Wow", I'm afraid my reaction is "meh."  I haven't liked where Chris has been going with body design since V3 was released.  For me, his most attractive body design was and is the P4 nude woman - she just needed better rigging and a better face.  So far, the closest any character has come to my ideal is GND Anastasia - and because she's a morph, it's made rigging clothing for GNDA difficult enough that despite how popular the character is, damn few outfits have been made for her.

I do like that the market is broadening, and I would certainly like to see the community move away from the constant focus on Victoria.  There are other figures, and clothing conversion tools are getting better and better as we go along.  But at the moment, I really don't see anything in "Dawn" that makes me say "must have."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!