3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
  • okay, I will try that and report back. Quick question, should I save the prop strips as smartprops so that they automatically attach in the right position on the helmet once the vertices are constraint, do avoid having to re-do all that faff?
  • Raetjor said:

okay, I will try that and report back. Quick question, should I save the prop strips as smartprops so that they automatically attach in the right position on the helmet once the vertices are constraint, do avoid having to re-do all that faff?

Well, that's one way to do it, yes, and probably the simplest.  However, I would save them all as one smart-prop, rather than individual smart props.  Doing it as individual smart-props would mean running a separate sim for each one, and that would quickly become tedious.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Jim thanks for the answers.

Raet, Jim has WAY more experience with dynamics in Poser than I do. When in doubt, listen to him, not me. :)

Overall, the trick with the cloth room is to do things in the correct order--which the manual does not actually come out and say, as I recall. Once you get the order down--and hey, they arrange the cloth room page that way for a reason--it's not so hard.

The cloth characteristics are a bit of a mystery to me, but PhilC created some presets for different cloth types that can give one a leg up there.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • BTW, I woke up this morning visualizing the uv mapping on that yukata. Good grief.

Once again, I exported an .obj file from Silo and imported it into Modo for uv mapping, since Modo has more flexibility in its UV tools. Like, when things unwrap leaning to one side? Use the BEND tool and unbend it! Whee! Nice and smooth.

Modo's Bend tool is my new favorite, along with UV Smudge and (soft) Move tools. :D  I made a buckle with a shallow curve to it with NO issues using that Bend tool image
  • OK, have UV mapped the yukata & obi and made a template. Now to tuck it into Poser Cloth room and take it for a spin...
  • Nanobot said:

OK, have UV mapped the yukata & obi and made a template. Now to tuck it into Poser Cloth room and take it for a spin...

YAY! Must dig through and see what sort of textures I can find to make it all pretty... *ahem* manly.
  • I can't wait to see what you guys come up with for this one!
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Nanobot said:

OK, have UV mapped the yukata & obi and made a template. Now to tuck it into Poser Cloth room and take it for a spin...

YAY! Must dig through and see what sort of textures I can find to make it all pretty... *ahem* manly.

*worry* I hope those darned UVs aren't too wiggly. I tried hard to un-distort them.
  • I've tried making UV maps in C8 a few times on simplistic props and totally killed the thing. I can only imagine how hard it's going for that!
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • GRIM said:

I've tried making UV maps in C8 a few times on simplistic props and totally killed the thing. I can only imagine how hard it's going for that!

It's not that bad in Modo. Its UV tools are pretty good. I, however, am just barely used to them. But what didn't look all that wiggly in Modo came out of UVmapper a little worse, probably because it draws them as black-and-white line art. Jagged, in other words.
  • OK, here is the latest sim, with the fully uvmapped cloth. I may need to put the inner lining back on the cloth edging, looks like. Had taken it out to save a polygon or two. Mind you, you can shift the sim parameters and what's constrained and what's not...that's not dependent on the model, but I've provided material zones for convenience in setting up constrained and soft-deco bits (the obi and obi knot).

• Action shot. I can see that some adaptation in the overlap is going to be necessary. The cloth (orange) seems to stick to itself if the mesh is touching. Or something.

imageimage
    ox-action-front.jpg
    532 x 777 - 20K
    ox-action-side.jpg
    532 x 777 - 28K
  • Oooooooooh. I wanna play!!! :)
  • Just another LEETLE fixy, please.

Bottom is better, now I need to pull the top overlap a little more apart so it behaves better! And I think I muffed some of the cloth settings in Poser, so the mesh futzed up. Eh.

ox-action2.jpg
    641 x 777 - 24K
  • Nan, the poke-through on the edge of the outfit is probably best going to be resolved by deleting the verts beneath the trim.  Ditto for the blue bits sticking through the chest area, delete anything on the back side.
  • You'd have to see the mesh, Jim. The trim runs down both of the front edges fully. I think we're seeing the front of the underlap.
  • Okay, here it is with my first attempt at a texture on it. Not bad, but needs work. Doing a bit of research to find some good designs and then I will make a bunch of options.

Thanks to Nano for making me the rockingest yukata! *mwah*

Testing the stretching capabilities of the cloth too and it seems very good.
    PS. I did do a teeny bit of fixes on some pokethrough, but that was more to do with my cloth sim. It was pretty minor though.imageimage
    Render 3.jpg
    729 x 1162 - 219K
    Render 4.jpg
    729 x 1162 - 160K
  • That is looking really splendid, Nano and LT. I like that deep blue.
  • Progress on the yukata textures continues now that Christmas is over. :)
    Here's where I am so far. I created two versions of this texture, one with a faded wave pattern at the bottom of the yukata (seen here) and one that has the wave pattern in it's entirety. I kind of liked the faded one, so I rendered a few samples. Still playing about. Having trouble in the extreme closeups with the texture looking a little less crisp then I'd like it to be, which I am trying to sort out. I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it's just the parameters that I have to work with! It's all new to me, so it is possible I am doing something wrong...
    The obi is just a procedural for now. I will likely make some versions of the obi that are not. For now, I've got my hands full with getting the yukata to look good.
    imageimageimage
    texture3_front.jpg
    729 x 1162 - 294K
    texture3_back.jpg
    729 x 1162 - 292K
    texture3_cu.jpg
    729 x 1162 - 486K
  • <3
  • I think I'll make a few more. It's actually kind of fun. I finally got those silly patches looking like embroidery. Using the smaller res to my advantage! :)

Bump and displacement helped a lot. Glad you like it! :)
  • It looks pretty darned good!. Wow, and I helped! :D
  • You helped? You made it! I just made the texture. ;)
  • *hee*

This needs work still. Made tap pants and a bra for Anastasia! There's poke-thru when bending, but no escaping polys or verts...but I'll be damned if I can make any changes using the inner mat sphere like I used to. Huh?

And the texture isn't coming out right on the bra cups. *grump* Damn things being difficult. I also wonder if I made the donor CR2 right. Bra straps fit in Silo but not upon import into Poser. Whut?

So, my second and third pieces of conforming clothing!

anastasia-underwear.jpg
    671 x 816 - 44K
  • Nice! Sexy too. Lookityou and your bad self with all this modelling. :D
  • Why are they called tap pants?  Edit: surely not for "tap dancing".
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

Why are they called tap pants?  Edit: surely not for "tap dancing".

Yep. Well, this is the underwear version. Not sure where I learned that designation. Well, let me get some"fix" morphs settled out, and ask Jim why I can't fiddle the poke-through using the sphere zones on the rigging!

Maybe Morphing Clothes will help with some of getting JCMs into them?

BTW, Ana has both "pelvis" and "breast" bones! But no actual mesh groups corresponding to those. I'm so confused.
  • Nice! Sexy too. Lookityou and your bad self with all this modelling. :D

Grouping "by hand" worked very well, but I had a ridiculous time with it, for some reason. Ugh. Did it over and over. And then the UV mapping and such. Polygons would come out flipped from mesh bits that were extruded and/or mirrored. Crap, I say, crapola!

Yes, this was a genuine learning experience. Then I see some slutwear for Ana at Rendo, and sigh. My stuff looks so plain! But hey, I wanted some non-slutwear undies.
  • PS - Voila, vintage tap pants lingerie. I wanted something the retro pinpus could wear.

• Ahhh. Still not clear on the why of the name, but yeah, those are very nice and sexy underpants. Comfy too.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Another texture! This time in sort of a pale, jadeite green. :)
    Simpler than the last one. A little softer and more refined looking. Rather summery, which is fitting, as that is generally when yukata are worn.
    Will likely do at least two more.

imageimageimage
    jade_front.jpg
    729 x 1162 - 272K
    jade_back.jpg
    729 x 1162 - 246K
    jade_cu.jpg
    729 x 1162 - 420K
  • Ahhhh, beautiful! :D
  • Re: tap pants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_pants

"The name "tap pants" originates from shorts worn by tap dancers while practicing their routines."

There ya go. You can find amazing things in Wikipedia! 

Apparently they're also called "French knickers."
  • Okay, here's my last one for the time being. 3 is a pretty good start, I say. I'm all textured out, for the moment, though I may come back and do a couple more.

Here's my modern yukata, all in shades of black, white and grey. By far, the most complex of the series, but it was worth it. I like how it came out.

imageimageimage
    yukata_white_front.jpg
    729 x 1162 - 350K
    yukata_white_back.jpg
    729 x 1162 - 360K
    yukata_white_CU.jpg
    729 x 1162 - 531K
  • And... sword and scabbard models by yours truly, done over the Christmas time-off. Rendered in Pro2012. The materials are all Merchant Resource shaders (the leather bits) and procedurals (metals and topaz). Based on a 15th-century German hand-and-a-half sword.

sword.jpg
    796 x 897 - 105K
  • Wow.  Everyone's been busy while I've been away!  Fantastic work on the textures on the robe/obi!  I really am liking how it's coming around.  Sorrows is freakin' fantastic- Nan, you've got some talent in modeling.  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Oh.  I do have a freebie of morphs up on ShareCG now.  I'll linkie here, too.
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/58381/view/11/Poser/Darwins-Digital-Men

The morph sets are my charries I've posted here and there; Mikhail, Khold, Scion and the new guy, Byakuya.  All for M4, all using the base, ++, Elite, and Enhanced morph sets-Mikhail has Creature morphs for his claws as well.

DDM Thumb.jpg
    600 x 600 - 266K
  • You actually put Mik up on ShareCG?? Whoa. Off to snatch!  <3 
  • Nanobot said:

You actually put Mik up on ShareCG?? Whoa. Off to snatch!  <3 

Yeah, I did. ^.^  I figured why not?  He's been mine for so long why not share? Besides, I've gotten so many awesome freebies from around the 'net I wanted to share something of my work with everyone. <3 to you too!
  • Awww. See, I could never put my figments out there all alone. *shiver*  Some of the fellas who really aren't mine, that's cool.  *is an overprotective mother*
  • *Chuckle* Well, Mikhail can take care of his own, at least.  Scion too, Mr. Attitude that he is.  I don't mind other people using them- once he's out there in someone else's hands he's no longer Mik in my head.  *Grin*

How was your New Years??
  • ...and...thinking of that.  Gi will *never* be included in the sets.  Poor boi wouldn't know what to do out there on his lonesome.  *Snicker*
  • Ooooooh, blimey! I need to get on the Poser bandwagon pronto! I WANT THAT YUKATA!!!! Ok, spaz attack over, I have a technical question for all you modelers here. 
    First, the basics, I have the Blacksmith Suite (which I'm still VERY new at since I just got it) and the Hex version that came with the book which I cannot upgrade due to Daz being PITAs and... er... sorry. I digress. Anyhoo, that said, I posted over in the Chat thread that I've had some issues with a model I bought a while back and never used till now. Yeah, bad idea. Well, turns out that in DS and P7 it has tons of n-gons (thanks, Nan for the proper term, ^_^). After MONTHS (yeah, months...) of attempts at communication with the vendor, he finally fixed one of the props and I say fixed lightly because while the n-gons are gone, the textures are still borked, and it's not the usual materials need tweaking in DS shtick. Now I noticed that there is another part of the set that has n-gons. I had read somewhere that PoseRay can fix that, so I tried it, and alas, it did, but got rid of the face where the n-gon was attached. This I assume needs to be fixed in a modeler so this is where you guys come in. 

I can re-install Hex and I *think* I know how to fix the missing face, but then the lovely Nan told me that the UV map would need to be redone. How can I do that? I know *nothing* about UV mapping, so I need lots of help...

I can link the posts in question here if you guys need visuals.

Thanks! *scoots off to try to learn poser to use that yukata*
  • Poser isn't hard, and it's got *gasp* documentation! The more you play, the easier it gets.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • No wai! What is this... documentation you speak of? Never heard of the thing! :-p
    That said, I'm sure I can grasp it quickly... though how much posing and setting up I'll do *in* Poser remains to be seen. My runtime right now is NOT Poser friendly... :(
  • By the way, here's a webinar with Larry Weinberg on rigging with Poser's
    weightmap system. It seems relatively uncomplicated since if you bring
    geometry into the setup room and apply a weightmapped figure--like
    Anastasia/Alyson2--the weightmaps are automatically transferred and
    extra bones trimmed off.

Haven't finished it all (50 minutes worth) but it's fairly information-packed.
  • And LT and I were up to no good over the New Year's holidays... I made the dynamic shirt, he textured... that's his character, Tora in it.

teal-tora.jpg
    749 x 1162 - 467K
  • Oooh, nice shirt! Me likey, :)
    Question to Poser people. If I were to purchase a product that uses the material room and/or procedural shaders, is there a way to "bake" the results into the underlying character texture to render the scene elsewhere? 
  • I actually did about 9 variant colours with more to come, when I have time.

I don't know if you can bake textures or not. I don't know if Poser has that functionality (I don't think it does, but I am no expert).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!