3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Do Cyber-Chickens Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • I believe so, yes!
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Oooh, wow, that's an awesome texturing work there then!
  • Oooh, wow, that's an awesome texturing work there then!

Morris' "Post Apocalyptic" set gives even more options for the arm & the rest of that very useful package! Pick it up if you ever see it on sale, you won't be sorry.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Nan - I actually have that! Must dust it off and play with it, then, :) Thanks for reminding me of it, ^_^
  • Nan - I actually have that! Must dust it off and play with it, then, :) Thanks for reminding me of it, ^_^

Oh good. And JM made some free blue jeans textures for the pants that make them generally useful, too.
  • That's the Cyberpunk arm??

Yes... I tweaked the textures though (I use the set made by Morris as a base) and reshadered the maps... the "pins" which attach it to the flesh have been added with photoshop.
  • See, here he is again... actually I made this character for a little contest at DeviantArt...

• He is friggin' gorgeous, Mav, :) Thanks for the close up, I see the Cyberpunk arm now, :)

Nan - I have those too! Lordy, I need to actually use some of the stuff I buy/download, heh. Thanks.
  • Heck ya, the cyber arm rocks. Big time.

And it does feel rather homey in here. We need to get some of our other peeps here too. Has anyone asked AJ?! I forget.

• Mavrosh said:

Ah, feels like home here, like good old VN thread at DAZ. I have not been there for ages... is it still alive?

It is, but somewhat slow these days. I so want to work with you Mav.  Surely between the two of us we can do something awesome and cyberpunky.
  • Raetjor said:

Mavrosh said:

Ah, feels like home here, like good old VN thread at DAZ. I have not been there for ages... is it still alive?

It is, but somewhat slow these days. I so want to work with you Mav.  Surely between the two of us we can do something awesome and cyberpunky.

Can't wait to see that!
  • In my head I have an idea to do with one of Mav's characters who, is like a matrix avatar which could make for an interesting cyberspace hack comic book page thingee.
  • Oh heck yes, that sounds very tasty.
  • "Skyfox 1 to Jazz, where the hell are you?" The pilot's voice crackled into Jace's ear wick. 
    "Bit of a standoff, dear." The saboteur said casually.
    "Stand... what!?"
    "Turn on your vidlink. Mine's online." After the telltale audible whine of the two vid links connecting, Jace had to stop himself from chuckling at Skyfox's reaction. He knew some weary soldiers in the back of her transport jet just spilled their coffee after the violent lurch.
    "WHAT THE *%^&!!!? Is that Minos!?"
    "Nah, he didn't have enough cojones to come on his own so he sent his little clone drone army. Don't know if I should be relieved or insulted."
    "What!? Agh! Stay put! I'm sending help."
    "Pffft, please. I got this. I'll meet you in five."

Please feel free to pick this apart. Not entirely satisfied with it, but I have all necessary scenes and things so it can be rerendered.

_itch,-please..jpg
    2800 x 1575 - 430K
  • Cool image , AP. My only fear is that those two guns won't hold those mechs forever.
  • Thanks, :) Let's just call it hand-wavey science fiction and say that they will, :-P Besides, there may be little things of a very explosive nature hiding in those chest pockets of his.
  • Very interestink! *grin* As for Ka-blooies, a man's gotta have'em if he's going up against a crew like that.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Like the overall of this one, AP. I'd have added a bit of a bright rim light on his face to help define him in the scene as a centre of focus, but other than that, this works for me. Nice one.
  • It's difficult to make soldiers in camouflage stand out! Yes, stronger lighting on him would have helped. Otherwise, very nice.
  • AP, I truly truly love this!!!
  • GRIM - Ka-blooies! I am so going to use that word now, hahaha. Thanks for your comments, :)

LT and Nan - Stronger rim light, got it! *takes notes* How can I go about doing that? Spotlight? Distant (or infinite for the Poser users) light? I'm not so sure I'll re-render this one, but I'll keep it in mind for future projects. Thanks!

Mav - Thanks a lot! ^_^
  • You can use whatever light works.  Poser point light is just fine, or an infinite light cranked way up (160%, say) and positioned so that it lights the edges on his face with a hot white light. You will have to do a bunch of test renders to get it just so, but hopefully that won't be a problem. Of course, a spot or infinite *may* pick out the edges of the mechs, too. Which isn't a bad thing, necessarily.
  • Just remember that a light is almost more important for the shadows it throws than for what it lights. And that it will always be perpendicular to whatever surface you want lighted, so you need to visualize that bit of geometry. Play with it, do a bunch o' tests, and you'll see how that works pretty quick.

Not all rim lights have to be hard and real bright. I this picture, there's a point light on the left that is put about breast height and positioned fore-aft so that the edge of his shoulder, arm, ribs, hip and leg are pulled forward. I used a fill light and IDL to keep detail in the non-highlighted areas--which was most of his front in this case. I also used a specular light (no diffuse color, all specular) to pick out the shine on his skin and give it dimensionality. Looking at the table, I also used another light to make sure the foreground came forward.
    young-alex.jpg
    1695 x 2200 - 459K
  • Heh, I was actually going to request a more visual example, :) Thanks, Nan! The picture helped tie everything together, ^_^

*takes notes*
  • Wonder what exactly translates as a fill light in DS... hmmm. Mav? Mayne you can help me out? Also, if you know, Mav, what about IDLs? 

*If this needs to be split to another thread, Powers That Be, feel free to do so.
  • Fill light isn't a specific light. You can use a point light (omnidirectional light) or a spotlight (directional). The point is that it is not a strong light that 'fills' the darker areas in, to brighten it out of the shadows (thus 'fill' light). It can be any colour, any type of light – it's the function of it that matters.

A 'rim' light is the light that defines the figure. It can be strong and from behind, where it literally 'rims' the figure in light, separating the figure from the background. Again, this is it's function - lifting figures out of the backdrop. It can be quite subtle or quite strong (almost halo-like). 

Your 'key' light is again, not about what light you use (any light can be used), but is your main light that illuminates your subject. It can be a front or side light, depending on the scene. This is the basis of the three light setup, which is very often used in film (it's the first basic lighting setup you learn and it's fundemental. It works here in 3D land too, as the rules are really not all that different.

The final light that can be used in closeups is an eye light, which just casts light into the eye to make it shiny and 'alive'. I find this sometimes happens naturally with a strong key light, but when I don't have one, I sometimes use a specular light, which we've talked about many times before, where it's not adding any more light to the scene, but instead is allowing the specular areas to shine brighter (like the eye surface). (*interesting side note: in film, often an eyelight is nothing more than a large bounce board or piece of white or silver fabricfill that causes a large bright reflection in the eye. Usually this just uses the light already in the studio, but if it's a dim set up, sometimes you just blast light onto that piece of fabric with a barn door on, to keep light from spilling on to the set. The bounce also tends to light up the face a lot (amazing what some white fabric does. Really, try it some time. It's astounding how much light you can cast on a subject just by using some white foamcore). 

Hope that helps understand some of the terminology.

Feel free to ask questions.
  • I use all the above techniques with PP2012's indirect lighting, though you have to add a "specular only" light to get highlights in the eyes and such.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Yep. The setup should be able to work with just about any light. That's what's great about understanding lighting theory. You can apply it with nearly any tool (not all, but almost all!). 
  • Cute! (I might have put that in Artistic Nudes, however.)
  • I could not have explained it better, the thing with the lights. :)

As a "fill light" I personally love to use the UberEnviroment light, its strength and setting alsway depends on the scene though. It illuminates the whole scene, I use it as a base light and then I add a rim and other lights to highlight whatever I want to be highlighted...

Spec lights I use a lot actually! They make as skin much much more alive!

• *saves all posts* Thanks, guys! Learned a lot, :)

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and everything in between. ;)
  • Julian! Says Merry Christmas from an overheated studio...

Julian-wet.jpg
    1800 x 1571 - 484K
  • Gaaaaaah.... that SSS.... *hunts under sofa for more pennies* Gorgeous, Nan, :)
  • Nano, that's gorgeous. Jim's shader works owners.
  • Another: Alex, Master of Sorrows. In other words, Alex and the sword, Sorrows.

master-of-sorrows.jpg
    1712 x 2000 - 469K
  • Wow..  I *Love* Julian's pic, and Alex is as always smokin' like Hades.  XD  Great work on both, Nan.

Here is my Byakuya; just a quick render since I'm still exhausted from the trip back home.
    Byakuya for M4.jpg
    980 x 1000 - 345K
  • Nice one, Dar. What texture is that?

It looks familiar.
  • Thanks, LT.  The texture on Byakuya is one from the Hunk set from Mec I bought awhile back.  Hiro-something-or-other.  It's a great texture set, really.  I didn't have to tweak anything on his skin and the raw render was excellent on its own.
  • Ah. Hiroshi. Yes, that would be why it is familiar. I have it too. :)
  • He's purty-- that skin really set him to a tee.  Here's another piece off of that set- Scion is one male that I grew fond
    of the more I used him. He's also one that has such a freakin' attitude
    in my head he's a PITA to set up.

"No. I refuse. You are not putting me in that crap."

Me: "Dude-you're a figment. I can put you in whatever the heck I wanna. Hush."

"So you think. Keep it up, ponyboy, and I'll pick at your brainpan hard
    enough you're going to feel the migraine come morning. No. Try two."

Me:......"Seriously.."

"Try me."

Scion.jpg
    980 x 1000 - 959K
  • Whoa. Uber-gothic! Love it!
  • Nanobot said:

Whoa. Uber-gothic! Love it!

What can I say?  The man inspired me.  XD  Thank you!
  • Erm... not very noir, but I wanted to post anyway. Just experimenting a bit.
     *moved to sci fi thread*

• I really like that AP. It's very cool.
  • Experimenting is good. :)
  • Nan - Did you change Alex's face? He looks... older. Still gorgeous, but older.

GRIM - Nabbed your freebie morphs, thanks muchly!

LT - Thanks, :)

Terre - I was a bit afraid at first, heh. You know, art is in the eye and all that jazz. I liked how it looked, but I thought others might not. 
  • Erm... not very noir, but I wanted to post anyway. Just experimenting a bit.

So put it in the sci-fi and fantasy thread. :)  No worries.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!