3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Other Noir
  • Very nicely lit- and I agree, quite mysterious. :D I'm not overly fond of purple myself, but this at least is a use of the color that isn't overbearing, it adds to the mystique I think.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • I don't know if anyone would even be interested- but..........in case someone would like to practice coloring line art (and for me, it will be a great exorcise in remembering how to do it in the first place, and a way to refresh my visualizations in my head. Out of 3D into 2D, if you want to put it that way. ) and as long as they make sure to credit the ink/pencil artist as well- these are free for personal use. The Artist of the Month on the Renderosity site has them listed on his personal site...which is a delight to wander through.
    http://seanellery.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • GRIM said:

Very nicely lit- and I agree, quite mysterious. :D I'm not overly fond of purple myself, but this at least is a use of the color that isn't overbearing, it adds to the mystique I think.

Thanks Dar/Grim. I know I have used purple in the past but am with you on the idea of using it sparingly.
  • GRIM said:

I don't know if anyone would even be interested- but..........in case someone would like to practice coloring line art (and for me, it will be a great exorcise in remembering how to do it in the first place, and a way to refresh my visualizations in my head. Out of 3D into 2D, if you want to put it that way. ) and as long as they make sure to credit the ink/pencil artist as well- these are free for personal use. The Artist of the Month on the Renderosity site has them listed on his personal site...which is a delight to wander through.
    http://seanellery.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6

Just admiring the ink work. Whewwww, precision. Just lovely.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Actually, for comics lovers, picking something from that gallery and trying to replicate it in Poser or Studio would be a lovely challenge. Not to copy so much as study this style, as it has strong, dynamic composition. You may or may not like the character style, but just getting the poses and camera and lighting would be a good thing to work on.

Not unlike the noir lighting examples!

We need a Challenge. But first I need to have my house back together; renovation chaos still reigns supreme, here, and every farking weekend is totally eaten by house projects, chores, and errands. GAH! I want it to end.

(Ooh, sorry about the rant...)
  • {{hugs}} You have a good reason to rent. Nan. "This too will pass."
  • How very philosophical. Recreating images from his gallery sounds like a cool challenge. I'm up for it.
  • Good! We should start a challenge thread, then. :D
  • I think that would be highly entertaining and a great opportunity to really dig into the dirty/gritty of the Noir lighting aspect, dramatic pose/expressions as well as pushing creative situational set-ups.
  • I agree.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • GRIM said:

I think that would be highly entertaining and a great opportunity to really dig into the dirty/gritty of the Noir lighting aspect, dramatic pose/expressions as well as pushing creative situational set-ups.

Well, then one of the challenge rules (loosely speaking) could be that you have to declare what your aim is. Such as Dar saying, "Replicate a pose and composition, and use Noir lighting." Not all of those pix necessarily lend themselves to that, but it's a choice.
  • Ooh, I am so looking to the second part of my birthday present. The reveal will wait until B-day (yes, it was relevant to the discussion).
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • I'm in. Who knows, this may even help snap me out of my artistic dry spell?!
  • Oops. Should have read Dar's post more clearly. Never mind. :)
  • Oops. Should have read Dar's post more clearly. Never mind. :)

Hey! I'd be more than happy to snap y'out of a dry spell. *Brow waggle! Grin!* You read it right, trust me...I was thinking it'd help me work some of those creative juices back into a few ideas myself. I can't wait!
  • Don't think this fits anywhere else, really... and there's a ladeh there so not quite in the VN thread either, so here goes. Kinda happy with how it came out. Done for the One Light challenge at RDNA so I can only post a direct link to my submission. I did do a few black and white versions of it, so may post those too.

Meet Noriko, the lady that makes Daren's heart flutter. More on her later.

• Edited to change the link to a direct link, your link went to a javascript display page and may get auto-blocked on some people's browsers. ;-)
  • Ah, thanks, :)
  • Don't think this fits anywhere else, really... and there's a ladeh there so not quite in the VN thread either, so here goes. Kinda happy with how it came out. Done for the One Light challenge at RDNA so I can only post a direct link to my submission. I did do a few black and white versions of it, so may post those too.

Meet Noriko, the lady that makes Daren's heart flutter. More on her later.

Aw, I wish you had uploaded it here. That's beautiful. <3

• :\"> Thanks, :) 

I wonder if I *can* upload it here... it's not contest related, won't make money of it, it's a closed forum... hmmm. Be back in a bit.
  • Ok, don't see anything about not posting the images elsewhere, so here goes.

Only-Lovers-Left-Alive.jpg
    1250 x 1000 - 461K
  • It's a perfect fit for 'other noir'. That's why this thread was made. :)

Very tender render (to use an AJ's turn of phrase).
  • Thanks, LT, :)
  • ange: that is beautiful :)
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Cygne noir

BlackSwan.jpg
    1458 x 1872 - 203K
  • Very sparse but beautiful. Lovely black swan.
  • Lovely! Thank you, Elynda.
  • yes, i deliberately went basic with the scene to focus on the dancer and the lighting.  [and because i've been just  playing around with new character textures :D ]
  • Worked well, that did. And who says we can't just mess around? ;)
  • What? Someone suggested we couldn't???

Lovely lighting. Reminded me of the B-W ballet photos I put up in my room as a teen.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Elynda said:

Cygne noir

Astounding.
  • Madame M from the comic challenge in black and white.

This is a B&W render rather than postwork. Think I like this better than the colour version. :)
    madame_m___black_and_white_by_dylazuna-d57szpo.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 221K
  • The lighting works well for the B&W version, :)
  • Sure, he can't fly or bench press a starship like Daren, or develop a new power at convenient moments like Preston, but he can still kick your ass and look damn good doing it. Badassery is a super power, yes it is.

Badassery-is-a-super-power.jpg
    1850 x 1480 - 556K
  • ladyfur said:

ange: that is beautiful :)

Thanks, :)
  • We get too see the non-powered member of the team in action? Cool.
  • Finally figured out depth of field in DS3!  And Jack did a beautiful job on Anderson Hall.
    JustDance.jpg
    2500 x 2000 - 513K
  • Yes, he did.
    You did a good job too. :)
  • Cyge Noir - lovely, lovely work

Madame M - spot on! Wowza.

Badassery - hell, yeah

Dance lessons - just charming!

Thank you, thank you!
  • Thanks, Nan, :)
  • Wow, some fantastic renders in here!  Cyge- very emotive.  Very well done! Madame M- I second Nan, Wowza indeed!  Love the B & W.  Badassery- can never look too durn good while kicking arse.  The Dance is very well thought out.

Well done indeed!
  • Hey guys. Thought I would drop a wallpaper version of the Psylocke image in here for anyone that might like to adorn their desktop. :)

It's set for native full resolution for an iMac (what I have), but should be able to be scaled down without any trouble.

psylocke_wp.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
  • An ...unusual Reaper, to say the least. A little bit undead, a little bit un-alive.

There's a story in there, of course. Maybe she was one of the beings
    that Alex meets in his travels, as preternatural "sheriff" of the
    region.

Production notes: V4 with Surreality's Calyx skin; Earthbreaker togs by
    AlfaSeed; DM's Dark Legacy setting and nifty scythe. Indirect lighting
    used in Poser Pro 2012 with a Render Studio IDL spotlight. EZskin2 by
    SnarlyGribbly applied to her skin. Moody atmosphere and hair done in
    post in Photoshop CS6.

• For Nan- Mikhail sans goatee.  XDimage
    Resting SM.jpg
    1176 x 1200 - 414K
  • Oooh very nice Grim!
  • Since Nan requested so nicely...image
    Mic wallpaper.zip
    1M
    Mic wallpaper.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 1M
  • Hm. Is that rose distracting? I'm suddenly seeing it so.  Darn it.  *Twitch*  Try two coming up.
  • Second attempt.  Like this one better.   I won't include this as a pic- just an attachment.  It's just too big. XD
    Mic wallpaper 2.jpg
    2292 x 1300 - 2M
    Mic wallpaper 2.zip
    2M
  • I see what you mean. The rose did distract the eye. THe last image is indeed better.
  • Thank you!  I thought so.  It just kept pulling me away from the blasted piece to begin with.  XD  Have a good night everyone!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!