3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Comic Style Challenge!
  • Oh that's cool. I didn't take it as abrupt. I had figured out a few things with the magnets in the meantime, but they were getting to be a bit tricky to wrangle. I need more practice with them. I haven't ever really used them much. 
  • Oh that's cool. I didn't take it as abrupt. I had figured out a few things with the magnets in the meantime, but they were getting to be a bit tricky to wrangle. I need more practice with them. I haven't ever really used them much. 

Well, I use them all the time, but for me, I've used them so much that I don't really even think about it anymore.  Ditto with the morph-brush.  I don't think about it, I just crank out the work.  Actually thinking about HOW I do something with magnets and the morph brush and cranking out a tutorial for them?  Good gravy, I'd STILL be fiddling with it. ;-)
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Yeah, I can see that. This works great. I'm glad Poser is your bitch, because for me, she's still like a wild, untamed stallion that thinks of me more as an annoying nuisance, more often than not. ;)
  • Yeah, I can see that. This works great. I'm glad Poser is your bitch, because for me, she's still like a wild, untamed stallion that thinks of me more as an annoying nuisance, more often than not. ;)

If you have any other questions about how to tame Poser, feel free to ask.  I find Poser very simple to use, though some processes may take me time to explain because I haven't really thought about my workflow in years.
  • Yes, thanks, LT I agree on both comments. The tail needs more work (maybe kinda the way of your signs) and that's what the lighting was missing! I also remembered that I wanted to add some demonic chaos to his hair.

Later, though. It needs to rest.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Thanks. I probably will. I've been in a state of fugue for the past 6 months. I burned out pretty badly and creativity or any sort has been at an all time low. Of course, this also meant that I stopped working with all the programs and so learning the ins and outs also stopped. I am just starting to crawl back out, so hopefully things will begin to move again for me. This little challenge has helped, actually. I'm kind of liking where this Hulk piece is heading. Those pieces you rigged for me did the trick! Thanks again.
  • What tail are you using Suro? The one that comes with the M4 Creature pack works a trick for Kurt's tail. It takes some fiddling, but it's rigged in much the same way that Xaa did the lamp post and sign. Plus, there's a pointed tail morph, just like the one you are trying to depict.
  • That's the one I'm using, LT. I did something to the point, I don't remember what. I'll have to redo it.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Okay, working from this image:

(click image for larger)

My version:

(click image for larger)

Could be better, but I'm tired of messing with it.
    lara_redux_final.png
    2048 x 1984 - 290K
  • Very nice, Jim. Is that a custom shader? I'd love to know the secret behind it, because it works quite well!
  • Very nice, Jim. Is that a custom shader? I'd love to know the secret behind it, because it works quite well!

It's some very basic, flat shaders and minimum textures in Poser, rendered with a gray IBL and ambient occlusion to get straight-up contrasts between colors and some shading.  The original image looked like this:

The rest is a custom filter in Filter Forge and a bit of postwork to clean it up.
    lararedux3.png
    600 x 600 - 273K
  • I almost picked that one. Glad I didn't.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

I almost picked that one. Glad I didn't.

Her butt called to me.
  • *snicker*
  • *giggle*
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • You know, Jim, the original render you worked with reminds me of one of those pictures made from layers of paper cutouts.  Equally good as the finished postworked one in its own way.
  • Xaa said:

surochek said:

I almost picked that one. Glad I didn't.

Her butt called to me.

That's one talented ass. I mean, calling out to you and looking all perky and peppy and hot at the same time?! :D

I like. It didn't dawn on me that the boots were in water until I saw the original colour version. Now I see it, not sure how I missed that.
  • My take on Ms. Rabbit

Original

Mine

JessicaRabbit.jpg
    1000 x 1414 - 236K
  • Nice work folks. I'm enjoying watching this. :)
  • Elynda said:

My take on Ms. Rabbit

=)
  • Nice. Sultry. Xaa and Elynda almost make me wish I'd tried black-and-white filters.

Almost. Not quite. No, I like my colors.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • I don't think your pic would look as good as a sketch suro.  You'd lose the softness of his skin.
  • hm.  Fantastic work on Ms. Rabbit!

I will have to go back to the drawing board on mine- guess who was a blithering idiot and forgot to save my little demon? 

Oi.  The joys of being afflicted.  I think I need a week in my straightjacket with a padded room and happy pills.

:D
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Ok- so everyone doesn't think I'm bowing out, the progress to the WIP.  Layer 6.  I re-made the little demonoid and tweaked the skin shaders.  Added in one of the four parts of the foliage.  No post work, that will wait until everythig's together.  There's some serious tweaking to do on him until it's where I want it.  Next step- The group of three on Darkness' back.
    Demon Layer 6.png
    1470 x 1500 - 738K
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • I think this is going to be a frightfully funny image when you're done. :)
  • My WIP is so lame-o. Silo choked when I'd gotten a bit further than this, so I lost a little bit of work...but it's coming along. This is the subdivided view. the control screen for the radio unit at the upper left is peeking out of the lower left corner, where I'm working on it. This is the Mysterious Steampunk Cyborg Backpack thingum.

* A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Wow. That's cool.

Suspiro ergo sum.
  • PS - the little surprised face is intentional. *snicker*

Oh, it gets straps and a harness and fitted to V4 and M4 at some point. The harness will be a simple conformable.
  • That's adorable.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • GRIM said:

Ok- so everyone doesn't think I'm bowing out, the progress to the WIP.  Layer 6.  I re-made the little demonoid and tweaked the skin shaders.  Added in one of the four parts of the foliage.  No post work, that will wait until everythig's together.  There's some serious tweaking to do on him until it's where I want it.  Next step- The group of three on Darkness' back.

He's so CUTE!
  • OK, I think this is enough modeling mischief with this gew-gaw. Now I need to fit it onto a person...

7-1-2012 10-31-36 PM.jpg
    289 x 491 - 21K
  • Nanobot said:

OK, I think this is enough modeling mischief with this gew-gaw. Now I need to fit it onto a person...

That is ridiculously cool and I want it.
  • I rather like it, myself. :D  You shall have it! Do you want the harness, too? Or shall I just put it up here as soon as it's fully UV mapped--so you can play yourself. Because I haven't even assigned materials yet, and have to uvmap the new bits (which should be pretty quick, slow as I am).

Straps & buckles will just be a matter of top tool around a body & through buckles & stuff, shell, tweak, uvmap, and that's about it until it gets into Poser. Going to fit like a backpack, basically; I'll smartprop it to the chest (back) of the harness. :)
  • And...er, I better go to bed. Yikes, the time!
  • Now, it would be fun to make a head apparatus for this (for the non-Cyborg). :P
  • Nanobot said:

I rather like it, myself. :D  You shall have it! Do you want the harness, too?

Yes, I can always alter it to fit Posey.
  • Xaa said:

Nanobot said:

I rather like it, myself. :D  You shall have it! Do you want the harness, too?

Yes, I can always alter it to fit Posey.

That you certainly can. :)
  • That is all kinds of awesome, Nan!
  • Absolutely agree- Awe to the Sum!! Love your skillz, dollface!
  • Ok, I managed to get the trio nearly finished for Darkness' back.  The camera angle is off, but this is the final test render before I go back and change it.  I tell ya, between the four little guys' gear there's been a lot of clothing/prop bashing.  *Chuckle*  Not to mention major shader tweaking.  Next round after fixing the camera angle will be the ledge, Darkness and the little demon on his leg with the army helmet. Then the other two behind Darkness and the one flying off.  Then the back layer with the tree, vines, bushes and such.  Oh, and one final one for the roping vine way in the forefront of all of it.  THEN- postwork.  ;)
    PS- ignore the half-bodies, I figured it was just easier and less to get rid of in post.  I know they're dark, but once they get onto the final piece and background you'll be able to see them better.
    demon trio.png
    1176 x 1200 - 376K
  • Cool, Dar! I love those funky little demons. LOL
  • *Grin!* thank you!
  • Coming along nicely. Unfortunately, this weekend saw no progress on Hulk. I hope to be able to bash away at the postwork this week, but I am taking possession of my new home today and I haven't a clue if I will even be available to do anything or not! *sigh* *stressed*
  • *pat-pat* {{hugs}} @LT
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Coming along nicely. Unfortunately, this weekend saw no progress on Hulk. I hope to be able to bash away at the postwork this week, but I am taking possession of my new home today and I haven't a clue if I will even be available to do anything or not! *sigh* *stressed*

Wow! Today's the day! *confetti*  You need a nice pot of tea. :)
  • My WIP is non existent at this stage, but I have something to contribute inspired by this...http://www.comicwallpaper.net/images/wallpapers/The%20Ghost%20Rider-258681.jpeg
    I have come up with this over the week end, but I will need to go back and add more drub behind for the image to tell the story I want. It'll need to happen in layers: far back for more Drub, running/threatened civilians, Mitch, Matt and co to help, etc. Here is the first raw render...
    escape.png
    833 x 520 - 566K
  • GRIM said:

Ok, I managed to get the trio nearly finished for Darkness' back.  The camera angle is off, but this is the final test render before I go back and change it.  I tell ya, between the four little guys' gear there's been a lot of clothing/prop bashing.  *Chuckle*  Not to mention major shader tweaking.  Next round after fixing the camera angle will be the ledge, Darkness and the little demon on his leg with the army helmet. Then the other two behind Darkness and the one flying off.  Then the back layer with the tree, vines, bushes and such.  Oh, and one final one for the roping vine way in the forefront of all of it.  THEN- postwork.  ;)
    PS- ignore the half-bodies, I figured it was just easier and less to get rid of in post.  I know they're dark, but once they get onto the final piece and background you'll be able to see them better.

Great work on those Darklings.
  • Wow, Raet!  That's fantastic, I can't wait to see it finished!  And thank you on the Darklings. ;)

Here's a quick update- no fixing of things (such as poke through, ect.), just the initial test renders slapped together to check the composition and angle.

I changed the ...thing..Dark is sitting on to a building. The little guy at his feet will be the one behind him leaning over eventually, and the background was just slapped in to make it look a little more complete.  I have two lighting sources for this, behind and up and to the right (when you look at the picture) rather than the main one overhead. 

Dark's position on the pedestal was damn difficult to try to get down- M4 won't bend that way and reach for and over the ledge so I was working on a slightly different posture for him as well.

I won't have time to work on this again until I get back- but here's the WIP Update.
    test run darkness.jpg
    1176 x 1692 - 295K
  • Wow, very cool.

I definitely wouldn't have had the patience to put together so many details.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Very cool! I like it. Coming together nicely, Dar.

Mine is crawling closer. Currently painting clothing folds and dirt and grime, rips and tears and whatnot. Still want to do a pass on the musculature, add dirt and sweat to the skin and then the smoke and flames in the backdrop. Still a ways to go, but at least I'm finally working on it again. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!