3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Comic Style Challenge!
  • For our first challenge, let's go here, to Sean Ellery's black and white art gallery to find an image that you would like to replicate in a render! (Sean inked these drawings, and they're offered for playing with, so we have permission to use them.) The challenge is not for a prize, except the satisfaction of having completed a nice piece of art. The point is not so much to copy this comic style studiously, as to study the composition and style, which is very dynamic, and think about what makes an arresting composition. And make cool pictures!

Here's how:

Make a new post in this thread, below, and link or show the image you want to work from, and then declare what you want to do.

As  you work on your piece--your choice of render program(s), of course--you can show WIPs if you like. Not mandatory, of course.

And make a new post when you're done, with a link to your original post. That's it!

You have three weeks from today to complete this! Your completed art piece should be an image, in any style you want, but replicating composition and pose of the original work. Post-work is welcome, of course! Perhaps we'll come up with something fun to do with the pictures as a result. I may have to create a gallery. :)

For instance, I choose to work on this Aphrodite X image and I'll do a color render with postwork to match

On your mark, get set, GO!
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • I hope it's okay to go with inks found elsewhere. I didn't find anything there that floated my boat, but I will stick with a similar inked page from another source. Just picking one from the bunch I found.

During my search, I ran across these two, which made me laugh. Wonder Woman's 'up here' point is classic and the look on Power Girl's face is priceless. Still chuckling...

imageimage
    6135574-16564811-thumbnail.jpg
    590 x 764 - 114K
    6135574-16564821-thumbnail.jpg
    590 x 764 - 115K
  • Ooooooh, I mis-read.  I thought you meant "Do this Aphrodite image."  And I was like "Wow, I do NOT have boots like that.  And should.  Let's make some.  Lum-tee-dee-dumm..."  And I get the right boot roughed out and I'm gonna map it and add deally-bopper details and it occurs to me I should make a list of the details and I go back and notice I could pick my OWN image, you meant that was the one YOU were gonna do and now I feel stupid because I got one boot model done and I can't leave the project unfinished it will nag at me and nag at me and Posey has already seen the boots and she's all WANT WANT WANT and you know how that is so I gotta do the boot and THEN go pick an image I'm gonna do. 

So...  Yeah, back shortly.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • I think I'll go with this one of Nightcrawler... but I reserve the right to change my mind at least once.

Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Oooh, I want to play! While Grim works on the collab, :) 
    I'm finding so many possibilities... can we do more than one?
  • So here's the one I've chosen to do. Only a little bit inspired by the fact that the Avengers movie made this character come to life for me in a way that no other film or TV show ever has. In fact, it made the character interesting for me, as I'm not really a big fan of the comic character at all. Says a lot about that film and the job that ILM did on him!

I know it's not an ink, but the pencils are so clean and dynamic that it really almost is like an inked version already.

Anyway, I've already got the pose done, but the rest is the detail work and sourcing stuff that will do the trick.

The idea here is to bring him into 3D, putting my own spin on the scene and the character, using the same pose and basic structure of the composition.

6135574-17045849-thumbnail.jpg
    590 x 975 - 193K
  • Anyway...

Booties.  Experimenting with various techniques to produce an ink line-art effect similar to the overall art style on that site.

booties1.png
    600 x 600 - 336K
  • I will be working on that collab tonight or tomorrow- but since I'm at work on break I can still pick and choose my ink to work from! :D Thank you, Nan, for getting this thread started!

Ok- here's my choice: http://seanellery.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6&page=2 For the piece- Darkness by Marc Silvestri. What will I be attempting with it? I always have such a hard time making dynamic poses and working more than one figure into a scene (composition wise and computer wise), this time I am going to use the basis of the inked piece for the 3D version. Lighting, props, little ebil flying crack monkeys with guns and all. I want to make an attempt at recreating this as much as possible while keeping my flair within it. Dramatic Noir lighting (which I still struggle with) will be worked into this one as well.

The maniacal laughter sound track will have to be added in post, I think.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Xaa said:

Ooooooh, I mis-read.  I thought you meant "Do this Aphrodite image."  And I was like "Wow, I do NOT have boots like that.  And should.  Let's make some.  Lum-tee-dee-dumm..."  And I get the right boot roughed out and I'm gonna map it and add deally-bopper details and it occurs to me I should make a list of the details and I go back and notice I could pick my OWN image, you meant that was the one YOU were gonna do and now I feel stupid because I got one boot model done and I can't leave the project unfinished it will nag at me and nag at me and Posey has already seen the boots and she's all WANT WANT WANT and you know how that is so I gotta do the boot and THEN go pick an image I'm gonna do. 

So...  Yeah, back shortly.

ROFL!  Yeah, I LOVE the boots and the backpack. Thinking about working on the backpack, myself.

Really, do it how you want. :))
  • GRIM said:

I will be working on that collab tonight or tomorrow- but since I'm at work on break I can still pick and choose my ink to work from! :D Thank you, Nan, for getting this thread started!

Ok- here's my choice: http://seanellery.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6&page=2 For the piece- Darkness by Marc Silvestri. What will I be attempting with it? I always have such a hard time making dynamic poses and working more than one figure into a scene (composition wise and computer wise), this time I am going to use the basis of the inked piece for the 3D version. Lighting, props, little ebil flying crack monkeys with guns and all. I want to make an attempt at recreating this as much as possible while keeping my flair within it. Dramatic Noir lighting (which I still struggle with) will be worked into this one as well.

This one? Whoa-ah, that's not complicated or nuthin!

• Xaa said:

Anyway...

Booties.  Experimenting with various techniques to produce an ink line-art effect similar to the overall art style on that site.

Yee hah...only Aphrodite's weren't high-heeled. Hey, what Posey wants, Posey gets! :D

Oh, line-art. Got carried away by nekkid laughing Posey. ;)  Yeah, that linework is cleaner than the Filterforge filter you made, in the sense of having hatchwork and not the stippling effect everywhere. That would be worth doing all on its own!

• So here's the one I've chosen to do. Only a little bit inspired by the fact that the Avengers movie made this character come to life for me in a way that no other film or TV show ever has. In fact, it made the character interesting for me, as I'm not really a big fan of the comic character at all. Says a lot about that film and the job that ILM did on him!

I know it's not an ink, but the pencils are so clean and dynamic that it really almost is like an inked version already.

Anyway, I've already got the pose done, but the rest is the detail work and sourcing stuff that will do the trick.

The idea here is to bring him into 3D, putting my own spin on the scene and the character, using the same pose and basic structure of the composition.

Being one of our comics mavens, you can do what you please, of course. ;) Great image, and yes, we want the Hulk! I was a fan of the old TV series; the Bill Bixby version of David Banner appealed to me as a teenager. And he was cute, too. That didn't hurt, either.
  • Suro - Love the Nightcrawler. This is quite outside your usual zone! Good for you! That's an awesome picture, too.
  • And... I really preferred the TV series version of Witchblade, and was so sorry that the actress was such a darned loser. *sigh* She was seriously hawt, and the more Medieval look to the blade was attractive.
  • Here's mine. Inspiration, then render. After it was done I realized the pose isn't right... May re-work it later. This challenge's kinda fun, :) Thanks for suggesting it.

Comic Style Challenge - Beast copy.jpg
    1500 x 2325 - 2M
  • Nanobot said:

GRIM said:

I will be working on that collab tonight or tomorrow- but since I'm at work on break I can still pick and choose my ink to work from! :D Thank you, Nan, for getting this thread started!

This one? Whoa-ah, that's not complicated or nuthin!

Yup- that one. It's a challenge in many ways; lighting/posing/complexity/models used, ect. Hopefully I can get it done in two weeks! LOL
    Nightcrawler had been my first choice. ;) Taken though!
    Lookit AP go! O.o It's a great first take on the inpsiration choice, which is a great one to snag as well.
    I was never into the Hulkster, but the artwork for the one LT chose was really well thought out I thought.

Aaaaaaand......time for lunch! I will *bamf!* off to snag some grub!

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Nanobot said:

And... I really preferred the TV series version of Witchblade, and was so sorry that the actress was such a darned loser. *sigh* She was seriously hawt, and the more Medieval look to the blade was attractive.

Agree with that. What I've seen of the comic images haven't called to me.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • I was going to do Nightcrawler, but I've kind of done him a few times now, so that'd be cheating. I look forward to seeing Suro's version!

Darkness? Dar, that is ambitious. I rather like the Darkness, for all it's crazy baroque stylings in a gothic sort of format. 

AP - that pose is pretty dynamic as it is! Looking very good. My pose is done. I'm tweaking the morph and struggling with getting the green skin 'right'. It's soooo close, but not quite there. It's turning a bit too olive. Hulk with a tan, anyone? :D

Anyone know where to get some of those bent and broken up objects? I was thinking Stonemason props, but wasn't sure if there other good 'rubble' sets?
  • It's the kitbashing aspect of doing these that may be a really large challenge.
  • Heck ya. I know I will be post working heavily on the ripped pants. But that part is fun. The bent and warped elements of the destroyed street signs and rubble is going to be a bit more challenging.
  • Sensible crimefighting attire!

• Heck ya. I know I will be post working heavily on the ripped pants. But that part is fun. The bent and warped elements of the destroyed street signs and rubble is going to be a bit more challenging.

This might be where Stonemason's city ruins set gets a workout!

ETA - Mr. Sparky also did urban ruins/rubble, I believe.
  • There are some rubble sets on Rendo-
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=79715 that's one?
  • There's another, but I can't find it. It's a set that has broken bits of buildings and rubble that can corner buildings that aren't quite fallen in yet. XD

And, I know it's ambitious-- but.....>.> I hadta. *Grin!* I can't wait to see everyone's works!

Note: I have never seen the TV version of Witchblade, but I agree with you Nan. Sensible, yet Hawt. ;)
  • BTW, I just noticed a detail on the Darkness picture: the minion coming toward the camera is wearing nice lug-sole boots. Like, climbing boots. Too funny!

Really, cool footgear is half the fun.
  • GRIM said:

There's another, but I can't find it. It's a set that has broken bits of buildings and rubble that can corner buildings that aren't quite fallen in yet. XD

And, I know it's ambitious-- but.....>.> I hadta. *Grin!* I can't wait to see everyone's works!

Note: I have never seen the TV version of Witchblade, but I agree with you Nan. Sensible, yet Hawt. ;)

Yeah, she doesn't ever do the nekkidy fighting thing. The designers took a good risk there, stepping away from the comic and making up something more historical looking. She's even in a full suit of plate armor at one point, doing the St. Joan thing (another Witchblade possessor, so it says).
  • Oh, wait, we have to do a similar looking character? Like, I should have done the blue fur and all?
  • Nanobot said:

BTW, I just noticed a detail on the Darkness picture: the minion coming toward the camera is wearing nice lug-sole boots. Like, climbing boots. Too funny!

Really, cool footgear is half the fun.

i LOVED that detail. I actually have some sort of evil pixie-ish thing I want to try and use for that one- I plan on trying to mash boots onto it. And bash it into looking more minion-y. Lots of bashing.
    AP- I am going for style, feel, dynamics and some of the actual inked charcter likenesses, but not exact.
  • *Edit. Didn't work. *TWITCH*
  • Got it, :) At least I got the build, glasses, claws and fangs in. Close enough? :-P Can't wait to see yours, ^_^
  • Oh, and, Dar, you know what mask could work for his mask? The Cyberpunk Expansion one, in case you have it. The one by Elor-something or other.
  • Elor once dark? (Something like that?)
  • I wish I could have gotten that- but I never did. *Chuckle* It would look PERFECT, yes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FINALLY. Concept idea broken down to seven layers and nevermind my scrawl- I was just noting what I have and don't have and don't f'n know if I have. :D ..............>.> All I had was highlighters. You may all stop laughing now. *Smirk*
  • Oooh this a great challenge!  Picked this one because I have all the necessary stuff and Aliens are creepy cool.  Plan on doing a little more alienish atmospheric feel to the background.

• Sweet! This is going to be fun. :)

AP – my first will be Hulk, but I have another I'd like to do with my own figures, just using the original as inspiration for the composition. I thought your 'Hank' was pretty close. :)
  • Found the final cover for that Aprodite IX art--she's a cyborg. Bwaha! Even better.

Image linked from Wikipedia, such as that may be.

• Sweet! This is going to be fun. :)

AP – my first will be Hulk, but I have another I'd like to do with my own figures, just using the original as inspiration for the composition. I thought your 'Hank' was pretty close. :)

It was close! The original was balanced on one mighty hand, but AP's is on a hand and a foot. Both work!
  • Happy with how this turned out.  Mulitple layers of the base image and each one with a different filter in CS4 and PSP9.  Rendered in DS3A.

http://3d-noir.cooltuna.com/discussion/comment/5097#Comment_5097
    AlienComic.jpg
    1000 x 1414 - 426K
  • LT and Nan - Thanks, :) I'd still like to re-work it a bit to get the pose closer to the original.

LT - I don't know if you've seen this, but RecieCup had made a freebie Hulk character with a pretty decent green skin. Perhaps it can help? http://rendercandy.com/product_info.php/cPath/25/products_id/109
  • Nanobot said:

Found the final cover for that Aprodite IX art--she's a cyborg. Bwaha! Even better.

Image linked from Wikipedia, such as that may be.

Thought that was your entry till I re-read the post :D
  • Ok, delayed reaction, but... I thought it was Bruce Banner? Not David Banner? Unless the BB version was called David.
    Elynda - That rocks, :D
  • In the original TV series, they changed it from Bruce to David for some reason. In the comics, Avengers, and the new Incredible Hulk movies it is Bruce.
  • In the original TV series, they changed it from Bruce to David for some reason. In the comics, Avengers, and the new Incredible Hulk movies it is Bruce.

I didn't know that! And you see how much attention I paid to the movies.

• Nanobot said:

In the original TV series, they changed it from Bruce to David for some reason. In the comics, Avengers, and the new Incredible Hulk movies it is Bruce.

I didn't know that! And you see how much attention I paid to the movies.

Now that you mention it...

I hadn't paid attention either. Movies are for fun. I rarely think. *lazy*
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Hm. Having far too much fun making Aphrodite's backpack...just got a little start on it this evening. Haven't used Silo in a while, so I'm a little rusty.

6-20-2012 10-00-00 PM.jpg
    566 x 754 - 45K
  • WIP
    No postwork, and still lots to be done. But more has happened than I expected, so here's a post.

Nightcrawler-WIP-1.png
    618 x 800 - 409K
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Hee! Nice, Masha!
  • Very nice! Do you have the displacement maps for M4 (I assume that is M4)? They really help push the details of musculature out. I use them all the time. Very handy for this sort of thing. I highly recommend them! 

(PS. you'll see them on my Hulk!) :D
  • By the way Elynda, the Alien piece is pretty damn cool. I like the colours quite a bit. 
  • Very nice! Do you have the displacement maps for M4 (I assume that is M4)? They really help push the details of musculature out. I use them all the time. Very handy for this sort of thing. I highly recommend them! 

(PS. you'll see them on my Hulk!) :D

I think I do. I'm sure I did better on musculature on some earlier renders, so I should have. One more layer to do!

And isn't Nightcrawler sort of furry?
    Suspiro ergo sum.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!