3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Other Noir
  • {{hugs}}
  • Put the dog down and in the middle of the night? *hugs* for Wayii, being a good daughter-in-law.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Nanobot said:

Put the dog down and in the middle of the night? *hugs* for Wayii, being a good daughter-in-law.

Roxy was suffering.  She was 14 and ailing.  Like Cam with Kitty, his dad couldn't make peace with letting go until the suffering was so bad that he couldn't ignore it anymore and had to be merciful.  This, of course (true to his character) had to happen at an hour that wasn't particularly convenient to anyone else.

This is just how the male side of the family rolls.  >.<
  • OK, so she wasn't hit by a car and had to be put down. :(  I'm sorry for both of them, and do sort of understand the hating to let go. Poor guys.
  • Nanobot said:

OK, so she wasn't hit by a car and had to be put down. :(  I'm sorry for both of them, and do sort of understand the hating to let go. Poor guys.

Seconded.
    Accepting that Cat was dying was hard for us too. We kept hoping that we could find a way to get some weight back on him. Even the vet didn't really emotionally accept that letting him go was the kindest thing to do untill several hours after she'd given him the shot.
  • ladyfur said:

dyla: nice updated pic. your site won't let me
    read because they are too stupid to know i have not
    needed to be carded since the 80's...

i'm sure the story is fine.

Sorry about that. I didn't write this chapter so not mine to post.
  • Loosing animals is always hard. Especially when they've been part of your life for a long time. Just like losing a family member. I sympathise. :hugs:
  • So, as part of our office culture, we do what we have dubbed a 'Value of the Week' – where one of the employees (on a rotating schedule) picks a value and creates a game, activity, or something thought provoking around that particular value. This helps remind us of what the values are and keeps it as an active element within our office culture.

A bit of history: when we started to get a larger group of employees (about 8), we had a session with our business coach, where we all came up with a long list of the values that we wanted to have as the core of our office culture. From that long laundry list, we came up with 10 that embodied the office we wanted to be – we came up with definitions for each of them, to help new employees grasp what it was we were talking about and to help each other be held accountable to them. As you can tell, it's a rather big deal.

So being a design firm, one of the values is 'Creativity' and this week, one of our employees gave the challenge to send a song to someone on the team (from a predetermined list) and then the recipient was to draw, create, photoshop, etc. an inspirational piece of artwork based on the song. The song given to me was by a band called Miike Snow called "Devil's Work" – a pretty catchy tune.

Listen here: 

This was done in one sitting last night (start to finish) – must be some kind of record – and is the first piece of completed art that I've managed to do in the past 3 months (I've been in a serious dry spell). 

devilswork_web.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 666K
  • Awesome.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Wow...great work, LT. Nice piece of music to work with, too. That's a great idea for your office-wish more businesses could take a hint and do something along those lines. Even tweaked for different venues, creative challenges could do a lot of good to the mind.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • That's one weird song, but I love your image. :)
  • Amazing image LT but really weird song !
    A creativity challenge sounds like a really great idea. For some reason it reminded me of creative writing in english classes in high school, when we were given a picture at random and had to write a poem about it. Guess when we're working we're so busy doing the job, we forget to find time to step back and look.

I've had a very dry spell but this is my latest, a new character creation for the Zeke collaboration I'm working on. My co-collaborator described Ko in such detail I had to do some serious kit bashing to put his outfit together and since I don't have Nan's hair painting skills, it took 4 hair props to create his hairstyle. You can't see it here, but he actually has 5 long plaits gathered at the nape and trailing down his back. This isn't the actual scene from the chapter so he's wearing a jacket over a shortsleeved mesh shirt, but his long-sleeved fishnet shirt is in manufacture :)

If you're a devArtist then you can read Ko's entrance here http://dragonia27.deviantart.com/art/Zeke-s-Story-Chapter-3-295833560

Otherwise here is Dragonia27's description of him:

"From what she could see, there was a figure in black leather
    pants…tight fitting black leather pants with mid-calf boots.  The base
    of the boots was something more combat style than fashion oriented so
    they were at least functional.

As she moved up the body, she saw a
    fishnet shirt, long-sleeved, with a well-defined muscular torso beneath
    it. There was a loose fitting metal chain link belt clasped together by
    a black rose.  The next thing she saw was his fingers on his left
    hand.  Their nails were painted black but the fingers themselves were
    well manicured and elegant.  A silver knuckle ring graced the index
    finger, bringing it to a claw-like point.  His arm was similarly muscled
    and fit well with his torso.  Sitting snugly on his collar bone was a
    gleaming metal chain necklace.  His right hand was brought up by his
    mouth, not quite touching his smooth lips.

She could see several
    silver rings on his fingers but none of them were the knuckle rings like
    what was on his left hand.  Yasmin brought her gaze to his face and
    felt her breath catch in her throat.  His features were fine and sleek
    but there was a predatory deadliness about them.  His eyes….She
    stared.  She couldn't help it.  His left eye was gold and his right eye
    was purple.  His eyebrows feathered gently over his brows and arched
    delicately away to the sides of his face.  Black hair was braided into
    five braids, each separate and equal sections.  The braids were tied off
    at the back of his skull and the rest of the hair was allowed to fan
    out, like a crown.

If she couldn't see his chest, she would have wondered if he was a woman. "

KoStreetsWM.png
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
  • Nice character study! Now we need the backstory on all that. ;)  In images, of course.
  • Agreed. :)
  • Thank you. Will see what I can do ;)

There are some other images from Ko's world up in the threads already, although not specifically his backstory. We haven't established much about Ko yet other than he is a leader of a sort of (literally) underground 'city' and an ex-lover of Zeke. This all started out with naked Zeke on his bike which is in one of the threads here somewhere. There's also an image Kyle (Zeke's lover) working late in his office and the fight scene everyone helped on is another image from the story. There are a few more on devArt.

I was interested in what Xaa was saying in the other thread about post disaster breakdowns in civilisation as our 'world' has come about due to a series of natural disasters and a virus which decimated the female population and left a lot of males sterile. So it's a kind of controlled state with a genetic programme to ensure humans don't die out completely. Our group of misfits is avoiding compulsory enlistment to the programme for one reason or another; aside from Kyle who works for at the centre, albeit currently under duress!
  • Ah, another of the post-apocalyptic crew. Interesting!
  • Clearly, reality doesn't stimulate our muses.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Reality?? Thought that was a plug-in for Daz Studio
    :))
  • *giggle*
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • dylazuna said:

Reality?? Thought that was a plug-in for Daz Studio
    :))

Hmm...Reality, Render...we're onto something here. :D

And I'm one of the Urban Fantasy crew, rather than the Post-Apocalyptic crew. ;)  (I keep wanting to type "post-apoplectic.")  Yes, we fiddle with the horizontal and vertical on our realities. >.> And mine has a strong cyberfiction streak, too.
  • The world has apoplexy and we get stories. *gigglesnort*
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

The world has apoplexy and we get stories. *gigglesnort*

Could be more localized, as in, "What Happened After Ma Found Out We Did..."
  • ... transpose the numbers on the nuclear disarm code?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

... transpose the numbers on the nuclear disarm code?

That's a big "oops".
  • Ma Hackett *would* be cross.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Nanobot said:

And I'm one of the Urban Fantasy crew, rather than the Post-Apocalyptic crew. ;)  (I keep wanting to type "post-apoplectic.")  Yes, we fiddle with the horizontal and vertical on our realities. >.> And mine has a strong cyberfiction streak, too.

Ah! We could have a little cross over here, as the latest chapter D wrote had some hints at paranormal activity in a couple of the characters. No telling what's going on in that genetics centre.
    Maybe we should have world collision, the figments could all meet up for coffee and exchange notes :giggle:

Meanwhile here's a close up of Ko showing off his collection of Nan's rings....
    Not sure it's really a good idea for him to be practising his karate in them though !
    imageimage
    KoWallpaperWM.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 166K
  • Nifty rings! LOL - That's a lovely study. :) 

I need to try making some of those armored two-joint rings, don't I?

• Nanobot said:

Nifty rings! LOL - That's a lovely study. :) 

I need to try making some of those armored two-joint rings, don't I?

Weelll if you're offerring...  one's that can be worn on either hand might be useful. That one is conformed to the right forefinger and since D has specifically put it on Ko's left, I had a few hair tearing sessions, trying to get the damm thing to fit his left hand :(
  • One would have to make two, one for each hand--but it would be the same for the user, just a different mouse click. :)  The right and left hand rigging are different, of course. That's the difficulty for you trying to fit it differently.

It might have been easier for you to bring in the obj file and move it and re-rig it for the left hand from scratch--which is simple enough to do, in a quick and dirty way, in Poser's setup room, but you would have to re-name the groups and whatnot.

I think I have that piece of jewelry. Who made it? Arki? Or is it one of another set I recall? I can study it to see how it's made.
  • See this is why being a modeller is useful, none of that had even occurred to me! Maybe I will try rigging the object as an excercise. I just got a rigging tutorial and need to experiment. Thanks :)

It's the armor ring by Valandar http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/armor-rings?item=11494
  • OK! I have those, too. :)  Of course. I'm a jewelry 'ho. ;)
  • A little something futuristic.

Cydonia-morning1.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 345K
  • Oh, COOL! You know I love sci fi and this is just awesome, Nan! Great, great stuff!
  • Oh, COOL! You know I love sci fi and this is just awesome, Nan! Great, great stuff!

Quoted for agreement.
  • Nanobot said:

A little something futuristic.

Cool. =)
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Not just cool. Pretty.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Oo.  Both, very cool and well done!  It's ...amusing, I was working on sci-fi just yesterday as well.  It's so not finished, but it strikes me funny we seemed to have a sync going on there. ;)  How was everyone's holiday weekend? Happy Memorial Day- even if it is a bit late! 
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Well, the veteran I share a bed with agrees with me that we needed today off to rest up from the weekend. My other veteran (my dad) is having sciatica and is NOT happy at the moment. We flew the flag and grilled. All is as well as it can be. Aside from me dropping stuff all weekend (but nothing broke).

Yes, a sci-fi moment indeed. >.> You must have the brain today, Dar, it appears to be missing here.
  • surochek said:

Not just cool. Pretty.

Thankoo. One has to do at least one sunrise with flying cars and gigantic city in one's career. :)
  • surochek said:

Not just cool. Pretty.

My thoughts exactly! I really like the colour palette Nan has used.
  • dyla, he's pretty.
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • http://www.darkmansdarkroom.com/film-noir-lighting-with-lighting-diagrams/

Something I found that I want to try and use in my next project- it's not necessarily for rendering, but the ideas I think can be translated.
  • Nanobot said:

Well, the veteran I share a bed with agrees with me that we needed today off to rest up from the weekend. My other veteran (my dad) is having sciatica and is NOT happy at the moment. We flew the flag and grilled. All is as well as it can be. Aside from me dropping stuff all weekend (but nothing broke).

Yes, a sci-fi moment indeed. >.> You must have the brain today, Dar, it appears to be missing here.

In the jar, on my desk, floats a pretty little............O.o What? Oh. Me? >.> Was that yours?

And I need to do ONE sunrise with flying vehicles and great big impressive buildings. I haven't yet done that. *grin*

• GRIM said:

http://www.darkmansdarkroom.com/film-noir-lighting-with-lighting-diagrams/

Something I found that I want to try and use in my next project- it's not necessarily for rendering, but the ideas I think can be translated.

Cool! Yes, it makes for great placement tips. And hey, this is EASY to do in a 3d render app like Poser or Studio.
  • Nice! That's a great little walkthrough there, Dar. :)
  • Thanks for the link Dar
    :-bd
  • No problemo!  I thought of a few things that LT and Nan as well as Jim had said and started sifting.  It didn't take long to find it, and he's got some fantastic photos, too. :D
  • Tried something new... Cherry Blossom (sorry about the calligraphy being mirrored)
    Cherry-Blossom.jpg
    1302 x 804 - 624K
  • Oooh. Mysterious....and PURPLE!
  • Thanks, Nano.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!