3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Fantasy
  • Darkothe said:

A new character I'm working on.  Haven't come up with a name for him as I've been doing some renders to develop him a bit.  Suggestions?

Swapped out the picture for one that was a bit brighter.  Was looking bad on my monitor at work as well.  heh

i'm guessing, 'pretty boy', is right out, hunh?
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • there it is... i was saying to terre how i got distracted and lost my place...
    it was celtic who made the d&d pic with all the glowing red eyes...
    who all are the various chars in that? i like it :)
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • ladyfur said:

Mavrosh said:

Wow, six hours is a lot of time to invest in hair. But the end result is well worth it.

I actually went crazy about it here... because I painted every single hair as a single hair... to see if it makes any difference. And as I said, big original file, print quality, 300 dpi... Btw - it DOES make a difference. ;)

you mean i'm not the only person who is that much of a perfectionist to want to do something like that? some of my art has been pixel by pixel, many, many hours...

yes, it shows, mav. great job :)

Thank you! I am a perfectionist and sometimes it is hard to stand for others... and even for myself! Hahaha...
  • ~ K'eydras was raised by the monks of a monastery since he was found at their doorstep when he was a baby still.

Many of the monks wanted to kill the little Tiefling right after finding him because they were afraid to raise a child with demonic blood as as well as human blood. But Shinji, the young head of the monks did not allow the others to kill a helpless baby - and raised him as if it was his own son.

K'eydras was never really a part of the group though and many of the men have been full of fear and prejudices. The Tiefling grew and grew, became an adult - and a very powerful psiotic and martial artist. His job was now to guard the monastery and he did very well doing so. But still - he was not accepted and only loved by his father Shinji, who was an old man by now.

Behind K'eydras´back a group of enemies formed within the monks... and they had a plan, an evil plan to get rid of the Tiefling - and his way too tolerant father as well.

One morning, Shinji was found dead inside his bed, stabbed many many times with a blade of some kind. It has been a real massacre and everything looked like only one could have done this to him - K'eydras. So the monks knew that the Tiefling had to die and they started to search for him everywhere - but K'eydras was nowhere to find.

They could not know, that the Tiefling was the first one to find his dead father way before them... and knowing it would be him they accuse of murder, he was hiding on the very top of one of the monasteries towers where he planned to wait for the night so he could run away unseen in the dark.

"Everything dies one day, K'eydras." was something that the old Shinji had said to his son the evening before he was found dead. How could they both know about what would happen. ~

• Thank you very much! :)

Squeezed a new one out of my almost dead computer... poor poor old machine...

• :)
    Nice work.
  • Scaly fella doing water magick! *admires*
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Thank you both! :)
  • I think Mav should give us a tutorial on how to work texture magic, particularly her handling of displacement maps for all sorts of shenanigans from scales to ritual scars would be cool. But then again she is a dark mage and who knows, if she parts with her secrets she'll prolly have to kills us.
  • Raetjor said:

I think Mav should give us a tutorial on how to work texture magic, particularly her handling of displacement maps for all sorts of shenanigans from scales to ritual scars would be cool. But then again she is a dark mage and who knows, if she parts with her secrets she'll prolly have to kills us.

Ahm, I wish it was magic... Actually I am one lazy person and also, explaining in english / writing tutorials is not mine... I´d maybe rather try to create a video like Nano did for her hair painting... because while doing I can explain it better...
  • Mavrosh said:

Raetjor said:

I think Mav should give us a tutorial on how to work texture magic, particularly her handling of displacement maps for all sorts of shenanigans from scales to ritual scars would be cool. But then again she is a dark mage and who knows, if she parts with her secrets she'll prolly have to kills us.

Ahm, I wish it was magic... Actually I am one lazy person and also, explaining in english / writing tutorials is not mine... I´d maybe rather try to create a video like Nano did for her hair painting... because while doing I can explain it better...

fine by me. ;)
  • Mavrosh said:

Thank you very much! :)

Squeezed a new one out of my almost dead computer... poor poor old machine...

oh! a mer! :) and it looks like one of the chars in my story would :)

love it :)

edited to put in the brief bit of where said character enters my pirate
    saga story, during a rescue of people stranded after a hurricane in the
    caribbean:

'...Suddenly, out of the stormy dark, a winged and scaled figure appeared, it was a tall male Humanoid, with a bluegreenish cast to his flesh. He had the eyes of the sea and the scales of a fish.'...

that is one of my heroes...
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Oh.. such a cool texture there.  Yah, I'd love a lesson too!  Mav, I think you should do some morphs/textures for sale.  You'd make a mint.. nothing like them on the market at all. 

CF, I really like the magic effect behind the shaman, totally makes the character stand out and the scattered props set the scene well in front of the gate.

• All of you elf lovers inspired me to try something with the new Genesis model from Daz.  Enjoy!

• That is one of the better Genny males I've seen! Nice work.
  • I´d say "Omnomnom" here... XD
  • DAGrant said:

Oh.. such a cool texture there.  Yah, I'd love a lesson too!  Mav, I think you should do some morphs/textures for sale.  You'd make a mint.. nothing like them on the market at all. 

CF, I really like the magic effect behind the shaman, totally makes the character stand out and the scattered props set the scene well in front of the gate.

There have been moments when I thought about becoming a Vendor... but then I have no idea about all those things that you need to get done... like for example that there is this fancy icon that people just have to click on to apply the texture maps with the right shaders and all this...  

Also I´d feel under pressure... I don´t know if that makes any sense at all... I have been having modded game content out there for everyone to use and to get into their computer games.... and a bleoved hobby of mine turnt into something that I did not like. 

• ladyfur said:

Mavrosh said:

caribbean:

'...Suddenly, out of the stormy dark, a winged and scaled figure appeared, it was a tall male Humanoid, with a bluegreenish cast to his flesh. He had the eyes of the sea and the scales of a fish.'...

Haha, yeah, that sounds like him somehow. :)

Thank you very much for sure. my boy has legs though and no fishtail. He is a "water genasi".

• Thank you Mav and Nano!  The thing I'm liking about the Genesis figure is my ability to really shape a character to look the way I envision.
  • Mavrosh said:

I´d say "Omnomnom" here... XD

That's pretty much what I thought when I spotted him on DA.
  • oh.. now.. that's an elf.. *drool* Definitely Nomable!
  • Darkothe said:

All of you elf lovers inspired me to try something with the new Genesis model from Daz.  Enjoy!

ooh, another neat one that makes me think of how i picture one
    of my chars. i am starting to suspect all my chars look like elves
    by now... at least the way the elves get rendered. even if they
    are vampires, weres, mers, faeries, dryads, and any combination
    of humanoid types...

if i tell you that this one is how i see my char who is werewolf,
    werecat, vampire, italian and french, and is a cop, will you be
    surprised?

great job :)
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Mavrosh said:

ladyfur said:

Mavrosh said:

caribbean:

Haha, yeah, that sounds like him somehow. :)

Thank you very much for sure. my boy has legs though and no fishtail. He is a "water genasi".

mine is a sea dragon, taking the form of a humanoid with wings by way of magic ;)
    ~^..^~ ladyfur
  • Darkothe said:

All of you elf lovers inspired me to try something with the new Genesis model from Daz.  Enjoy!

Can't believe I missed this post. He is gorgeous :)
  • Omra, the smith. He has dark elven blood as well as human blood. :)

• Have not played with Aonair in a long time... here he is. :)

• And yet another one from me... heh - am I the only one producing fantasy pictures at the moment? ;)

Zarniah "The Wild" performing on the small stage that they always build when in town. here they are in "Cobble Beach", small town at the coast, so yes, you can see the ocean in the background.
    Zarniah does fire acrobatics, he knows how to juggle with torches and also he can spin burning pois for everybodies entertainment.

In case you wonder why his hair falls in a rather weird way and seems to be against gravitation: It is attached to the back of his pants so it will not fly around and burn.

Zarniah is a Tiefling, for those who did not know yet, hence the tail and horns.

• very cool!
  • Beautiful lighting and colors! Excellent pose, too.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Nice to see something that strays (okay so not that far) from your usual too. :)

Might have been nice to have another figure or two onlooking. Right now, this feels more like a rehearsal.
  • Nice to see something that strays (okay so not that far) from your usual too. :)

Might have been nice to have another figure or two onlooking. Right now, this feels more like a rehearsal.

Thank you! And yup, you are right... my computer would have crashed upon this, since it can hardly handle complex renders any more.... this piece already rendered for 5 hours... :(
  • looks a lot like he might actually be performing on bord a ship, which although clearly dangerous, might in fact be a very effective measure to stop any pirates in their tracks...just thinking, you se. I used to play a blackmage with a seafaring background whose offensive spell arsenal very much consisted of fire balls and lances and whose defensive spells included a shielding spell which he would cast into e sails to ensure hey wouldn't be hit by any burning missiles.
  • as for doing fantasy, not quite in that mode at the moment, but then Game of Thrones second season starts tonight/monday night not sure and I'm sure that will be inspirational.
  • Game Of Thrones... I am listening to the soundtrack at the moment... ;)
  • Mavrosh said:

Zarniah "The Wild" performing on the small stage...

Delightful. The flames are particularly vivid.
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Some older ones from me for the time being... And thanks to Mav for letting me use one of her skins.
    imageimageimageimage
    hell_knows_no_fury____by_raetjor-d40aprt.jpg
    900 x 675 - 180K
    skeletarius_kryptaduft_by_raetjor-d3kqvva.jpg
    900 x 498 - 147K
    ma__el_by_raetjor-d45smiz.jpg
    892 x 493 - 316K
    Couple_of_Night_Elves_by_Raetjor.jpg
    900 x 918 - 241K
  • I like the close up, a lot. Very nice. The canted angle makes it for me, but the glint on the armour and the insinuation of teeth is both creepy and wonderful. I would not want to run in to him in a dark alley!

The ones with the fire? I have a hard time telling whats what. For future reference (as I know these are older ones), you need to be careful where you put effects, so you don't obscure your subject matter. There is also a framing issue on the top one. To me it's more about the fire and the building, rather than the tension of the lead up to battle. It's tricky to achieve that from a distance (or in a long shot, in film terms). Just something to think about. :)

• I like the second one, the action is well portrayed.
  • It's true, the second one's framing is quite good and the action works. The only thing that got to me was that the largest bright point is the flames and that kind of draws my eye downward to the centre/right. But the flames also look very good, which is not always an easy task.
  • Thanks, guys.
    1)I understand what you mean about the fx taking over and obscuring things in the first picture, guess it would have worked better if the female warlord had been this side of the flames, but then she wouls have obscured other bits of the picture. It was quite a tricky one to put together, and sadly didn't quite work.
    2)I don't think it matters too much that the flames are brightest center riight in the second picture. In fact I like that they are because it results in you missing the necromancer who is walking away to let the skellies deal with the elf when you first look at it.
    3) Glad you like my little demon.
  • Yes, like LT says, it is in the framing and composition. The subject of the third one isn't my favorite, but I like the image the best because of the composition, framing and lighting. Couldn't figure out why until LT's post. In general I'm drawn to depicted action more than portraits.

The second one is my second-favorite, and I agree that the flames had to be where they are, but they do obscure the main character. Maybe they are too much of their own character. And while the lightning suggests that the necromancer is slipping away, I'd like to have the composition bring the eye a bit more to him so that you don't have to look for him but are forced to look again -- what's that in the shadows?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • I have a fantasy portrait to share. This is Zarniah,  the fire breather that you have seen before. This is actually my wallpaper. :)

• Nicely done, Mav.
  • Another cutie! Very nice composition. Isn't it lovely to have a figment on your wallpaper to spend a little time with?

Speaking of spending time with figments...this is just electronic excess, but I wanted to share. I have a now-considered-small (well, in our house) 32-in flat-panel TV that's a few years old, and my Kay wants to put fill the spot in the livingroom where it would go with a 60" (or thereabouts) flat-panel. Yay for her having disposable income!

The point of even saying this is that she said, "Why don't we hang the 32" on the wall above your computer, hook it up to your second video card, and let you use it as an extra screen. You can have your revolving wallpaper on it and use it as a gigantic art-show screen."

O_o  I'd never thought of that. Hey, cool! Figments on the electronic wall!
  • Cool idea on Kay's part.
  • Now I'm all, "hurry up and get your big TV! I want mine back."
  • Hahaha, wonderful idea Nan! I feel small then with my two 22"...hahaha... XD

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!