3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Fantasy
  • Oh my, thank you very much everybody. And the cat used to be the Millenium cat... but I did not like the textures as they have been way too flat and too lowres. So I decided to completely overpaint the cat to get the effect I wanted. :)
  • Nicely done. I agree that there should be more butch mages. Am I correct in seeing that serpent's tail behind him as a diamondback rattlesnake?
  • Hiding her does add to the creepy feel for me. :)

While the bumpy section that makes up the tip isn't exactly the same shape as a rattler's rattles I don't know of any other snake who's tail would come close to having ridges like that. The color and pattern of the skin texture on the rest looks like it's based off of a diamond back's coloration.
  • Nice one, Celtic! Well done. Hiding her is a good idea...but it looks like he just stepped over her tail!

Butch mages, rawr.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Just because you can't have enough weirdness.

"Texas Pill-Bug Herder"

texas-bug-herder.jpg
    1950 x 1267 - 495K
  • Cool. :)
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • LOL still love that one, Nan.  :D
  • Recycle, re-use! Especially since having the house partially blown up is going to continue disrupting the normal production schedule for a while.
  • that one is fun, Nan. And full of tongue-in-cheek cowboy esthetics. Love it.
  • That one always makes me chuckle. Thanks, Nan. :)
  • So very picturesquely tired, too! :D That's neat.
  • I like the fireflies.  The glowy bits make the whole thing seem soft and sleepy.
  • Well done- and it does have a calm-after-the-blow-out feel to it.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Nicely done! Very dream-like. Good job on the lighting too. Really like the soft glow.
  • Such a pleasure to look at and quite a classical feel to it.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • wow. Wish I could get the hang of that. The lighting is great and the fireflies really set it off.
  • Love that image Celtic.  It's been awhile since I've been over to Renderosity...the community wasn't the greatest.  Your combination of the soothing greens and highlights you brought into the image really make it sing.  Well done!
  • In the process of working on "The Pride" - a group of thee cat anthros: Arkamun, Isoba and Nthanda. I have preliminary character renders for Arkamun and Nthanda "cooking" as we speak and am going to work on Isoba tonight. I'll get something up for comments & critiques soon!
  • Still working on "The Pride" - those kitties are being rather difficult to get to hold still for a portrait.  In the mean time, please enjoy "Kecharitomene" - an image of the god Cernnunos.  This image was inspired by a Loreena McKennitt song of the same name.

• Ah, lovely lovely dappled sun and shadow. The lighting is *perfecto!*
  • Thanks so much Nano!  I've always appreciated your critiques and comments.  Now if I can only learn to paint hair like you and Mav can...

• You're so welcome. I really love dappled lighting and don't see enough of it in rendering. Goes without saying that the Stag Lord is handsome. :)

The hair painting, it starts with a Wacom tablet of some stripe. Even their cheapies are perfectly good, and I'm so used to my Intuous by now that the fancier Cintiq is still awkward--even though it lets me paint ON the tablet face, which is very odd after years of mouse and conventional tablet.

There are other tablets, but the Wacoms are a lot of bang for the buck and will last freaking forever. I've given old ones to people to use, too, and they perform perfectly well.

After that...school is in session. ;)
  • Heh.  Have the first part done.  Purchased a Wacom tablet a few months ago - one of the $300 ones.  I've been attempting to do some work with it, but haven't been too lucky with it yet.
  • Excellent!

Persistent and gentle practice is necessary. Best to pick a simple project to start with. Do you do traditional media art as well? And what 2D programs do you have?
  • I love the Cernnunos image. The dappled lighting is beautiful.

Starting simple projects with the tablet is a good idea. Trouble is I never seem to have time to just sit down and experiment/practise. I've had a tablet for over a year, but it's always just easier and faster to reach for the mouse when I'm postworking. Maybe I need to plan to give myself a training session. I would love to be able to paint hair like Nano and Mavrosh.
  • Had an employee say the same thing, but I handed him my old tablet and said, "Just keep using it on one project. If you reach for the mouse, notice that you did, put it down and go back to the tablet." He did and now he's far more comfortable with the tablet. 

It really just takes practice, but you have to be mindful of what you are doing and persevere with the thing that feels a bit odd in your hand (at first). It's the only way to get over the hump. :)
  • I was the same way learning to work with a trackball.  I had to do it, though.  Pushing a mouse around was NOT going to work, I had damage in both shoulders from RSI using a mouse, I had to keep both shoulders perfectly still while I worked.  After six months, I'd managed to heal up and avoid surgery, and now I use trackballs all the time.  Doing the tablet thing I imagine would be exactly the same - cumbersome, at first, but once you get used to it, very easy to do.
  • I use Photoshop for my post work Nano.  I've done traditional art previously, but keeping stocked with the oils got expensive and I had to give it up.
  • Darkothe said:

I use Photoshop for my post work Nano.  I've done traditional art previously, but keeping stocked with the oils got expensive and I had to give it up.

YES, then we're all good. :)

You painted in oils, too? I love it dearly, but it take so damned long to set up and break down, and most of my free time is at night--and then studio lighting becomes and issue. Ugh. Too hard, really.

That, and I can take photos of things that never existed this way. ;)
  • Regarding lighting--yep. I do dozens of test renders for each piece. Lots and lots and lots--so many that posting a WIP is often pointless, it would all change in five minutes!
  • You and me both. Well, the Easter holidays are only four weeks away(roughly) there should be time to practise then. And work with the Wacom bamboo, and play around with some 3d modelling....
  • Raetjor said:

You and me both. Well, the Easter holidays are only four weeks away(roughly) there should be time to practise then. And work with the Wacom bamboo, and play around with some 3d modelling....

Too much to do! And in our spare time, too. This is just not right. LOL
  • Nice job on the DOF too, to my eye. :)
  • It's an interesting viewpoint. I imagine it as being Ciardha's. She's seen what he's capable of and Lorcan is eyeballing her saying 'you're next!!'
  • Nicely done lady of the Unseelie. :)
    This makes the second "Devil wearing a pleasant face" render I've seen recently.
  • Nice claws! Her attendant is fun, too.
  • Serpents need love too... ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!