3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Other Noir
  • Because anyone can render Vicky in a temple.

Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • I love this!
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Very cool. =)
  • Xaa said:

Title: "Nighthawks Redux"
    Image resized, click for larger.

This is freakin' fantastic. When I saw it on the forum top banner I blinked, grinned and gave a mental thumb's up. Great job, Xaa.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Thank you. :D
  • Just something a little different from my usual.  I'll prolly hate it by tomorrow.
    TMN.jpg
    637 x 780 - 484K
  • Cool. :)
  • Sweet! Love the outfit and pose. Great job.

• Agreed. Since the iPad refuses to attach pictures to forum messages have a look at the link for now, especially if you like Star Wars. I'll replace it with the real picture once my laptop is no longer rendering.
    imageimage
    McKenna.jpg
    890 x 491 - 254K
    SithTwilek2.jpg
    1889 x 1041 - 361K
  • Raetjor said:

Agreed. Since the iPad refuses to attach pictures to forum messages have a look at the link for now, especially if you like Star Wars. I'll replace it with the real picture once my laptop is no longer rendering.
    http://raetjor.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4aelhr

Spooky Darths!
  • NICE.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Oh yeah. Pretty pictures in the morning. Well, not exactly pretty, but you know what I mean...
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • I like macabre with my pretty. :)
  • Inspired by one of GT's femasu noir renders
    DetectOffice.jpg
    1500 x 1083 - 304K
  • Ahahahaha!  That's great!  "Ward, you need to speak to the Beaver!"  >:D 
  • Oh my...that's almost Art Nouveau in its lines and colors.
  • Would this one fit into the thread? or maybe I open one for the "fantasy" category? 

I made his skin maps from scratch, I am so happy with how they came out. :)

• Mavrosh said:

Would this one fit into the thread?

Sure.
  • Mercy, the blue fellow is lovely. That's some skin alright!
  • I've commented on him before- he's chillingly tempting, that's for sure. XD Great work, Mav.
  • Thank you very very much. I love this guy... I have another one to share... actually I have so many to share but I am afraid to spam the threads... O_o

• Hah. Ration it out, then. :D Thank you! That would be a good way to keep you coming back around.

BTW, his outfit is fascinating.
  • This is some paladin armor which I have given my own textures... created some ice maps and shadered them somewhat transparent to get this effect... wait, what is it´s name... ah yes, the original one is called "celestrial armor" is that possible?

I promise to stay here... maybe there will be times when I am less active because of the circumstances at the moment... but I try my best.

• Aw, thank you for trying. Hey, we all get busy and life does interfere (darn it!)

By gum, DAZ Celestial Armor does indeed have wings on the chest. I like that effect. :D
  • Renowned Fleet Commander Mikulova selects Horsehead Station as Rendez-Vous Point.
    (from AFP-Galaxy)

Commander Mikulova's entire fleet touched base at Horsehead Station before proceeding to unknown destinations. All spaceship captains remained noncommittal about any of their earlier or future actions, or even about their present activities. The crews made rotating visits to the entertainment centers of Horsehead Station, but the Fleet men traveled in groups and refused contact with the Press.

Mikulova's flagship the Bogatyr left this morning, and as usual, its rapid departure scrambled all detectors. The Fleet's destination and objectives remain unknown. One thing only is certain: their mission is bound to make waves on all news channels. The Fleet of Warriors, as it's lately been called, has a reputation for not responding to the highest bidder.
    Reporting, Sann'i Ann-tarku.

Milukova.jpg
    804 x 1179 - 769K
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Sounds like an interesting story developing.
  • Aha! THAT's the figment that just revealed her name! :D
  • Nice figment!

Suro, you may want to bump up your key light that is focused on your figment. Right now the illustration is all fairly even in tone and by adding just a bit more juice to your key light, you'll find your figment will start to separate out of the backdrop and become the focus of the piece. Right now, other than the fact that she is front and centre, my eye is going over to your window, which is the brightest bit of colour.

A trick I sometimes use to brighten the faces of my characters and draw attention, is to add a point light, fairly close to the figure, with a very short throw (like under 10 distance units (I use feet in Poser)) and shadows turned off. The brightness setting varies on the scene, but usually it's under 50% and generally white. I put that directly between the camera and the figure and it should be placed close to the same height as the face. This helps a lot. 

You can see this effect in this piece (though I used it throughout all of the character portraits): http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2148587&user_id=610787&np&np

• LT, thanks for the comments. Quite often I need to post a picture to see the problem (and to make myself work some more on it) and I appreciate the comments. Back to lighting then!

PS: I like the scoundrel.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • The scoundrel is very fine indeed.
  • Commander Mikulova, re-rendered and post-worked. Some day I'll vanquish Poser lights, but until then, Photoshop is my friend. Comments still welcome, thank you.

Milukova2.jpg
    822 x 1197 - 817K
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Trying to get a reasonable Ventress together. Used only IDL in Poser 2012.
    Render_0h9m9s.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 160K
  • Very nice. What outfit is that? I have a friend that asked me to do a Ventress ages ago, but I just never found an outfit that I thought was suitable.
  • It's a mixture. The shoulder/neck piece and the dress are from the Space Dweller set (Daz Platinum items), the arms are Rendo's Miss Tressa and the hood is from Bobbie25's Nighthawk set (Daz). I used one of OutOfTouch's textures for Space Dweller and the Nighthawk but changed the diff channels on all clothing pieces to a darker grey (in fact the dark gray that surrounds poser windows, so it was uniform).

Her pale skin is Vanilla Sky with it's Ice texture (fiddled with the lips to get them to be a darker shade, which did not quite work out I think, it's a tad too stark.) and her eyes came courtesy of a Rebelmommy  girl called "Nieves",
  • Yeah, but I really like her sneer. Awesome, Raet. :)
  • Wow. I bow to your shopping fu. Very well done. Would never know it was mix and match.

• Cheers, on both accounts.  I'm slowly getting there when it comes to facial expressions. They still are a bit of a no go area. Turns out the key lies in subtle dialing and making sure there is (at least a slight) difference between both halves of the face, not just making them squint but also pushing the lower eye lids up a fraction and then see where it takes you.
  • Re: expressions - Yes, you're getting it. That's exactly right.

a) Never use the DAZ canned expressions. They're horrible and beyond cartoony.

b) With both feature morphs and expressions:

1) Disturb the facial symmetry, thusly: dial up Squint for both eyes, say, and then dial back x tiny amount for one eye and y tiny amount for the other eye. So: Dial up a symmetrical expression and then dial it back.

2) Use Visemes (phonemes) to introduce variations. What is the character saying at that moment? Put that in. Nobody's mouth is immobile. Even a tiny, tiny bit of movement is always there.

3) Use both of a pair of opposites: Dial up Old and then dial up a bit of Young to decrease it in interesting ways. Dial up Square faces and then Round. And so on.
  • This is Kyle working late at the office. He's a geneticist working on a programme designed to repopulate the human race. He's sterile, but his lover Kyle isn't, and he's working on a plan to keep Kyle out of the programme. Unfortunately, his female boss has other plans >:)

KyleFramed.png
    820 x 1020 - 661K
  • Ohhh, I love this image. I only wish it had a touch more contrast on the side of his face to bring his features out.
  • More fun with Nan's Sexeh Shorts.  :D  The Femasu conversion was problematical, but the icky pulled spots didn't show up against the background scene from behind Wayii ver X's arm.  ;)
    wyldthings.jpg
    543 x 885 - 336K
  • Wayii ver X is a powerful looking little lady :)
  • EEh hee hee hee! Such fun.
  • Oooh look out for the crazy chicken thingy!

Looks like the shorts are converting well so far.  Must try it.
  • Hope so! Really, the Vickies need some, too. *sigh* But I expect there are some SOMEWHERE.

I saw some at Rendo...but no wrinkles and the laces were all wrong. :( 
  • Nanobot said:

EEh hee hee hee! Such fun.

Once you're not sick of staring at crotch, we'll have to get you to do a proper FemaSu 2011 conversion of those (and the pants version that are eventually coming). 

One, I LOVE the details you put into them and two... that's the best damned bulge I've seen in a set of menswear ever.
    Nanobot said:

Hope so! Really, the Vickies need some, too. *sigh* But I expect there are some SOMEWHERE.

I saw some at Rendo...but no wrinkles and the laces were all wrong. :( 

Not as good as yours by a LONG shot.
  • As I said in the M4 thread: Lederhosen. Everyone can wear them!
  • LOL @ the bulge comment. Yes, I worked on that. Not bad for working from references and memory!

FemaSu, she need them! They would be SO cute. I even love them on Slon. :D
  • Nanobot said:

LOL @ the bulge comment. Yes, I worked on that. Not bad for working from references and memory!

FemaSu, she need them! They would be SO cute. I even love them on Slon. :D

I like them on the male morphed Femmie 2011.  I'm just bummed that the conversion was so poor.  EI wouldn't do a FS2011 license for XD4 (which produced the excellent Slon conversion).  I was even more bummed to realize he also never did a Fon license for either XD3 OR 4 though he's been asked by more than one person to do one.  Fon is one of my Nursoda favorites for cool alien renders (second only to Slon).

Oh... and --

You do realize that with that single pair of M4 booty shorts you've outdone some of the most vocal clothing design commercial vets... in next to no time and for free... right?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!