3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Do Cyber-Chickens Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • That's some showdown there!  Why, yes, that prawn does look familiar. :)
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • Very cool piece, and I've never gotten that Prawn. I normally don't use those types of styled models, but that one is almost creepy. I like!
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Aaah, Valentine's Day is upon us it seems. Nice work Celtic.
    imageimageimage
    ScienceFinal.jpg
    1745 x 2467 - 113K
    Scientist.png
    833 x 520 - 490K
    Commission.jpg
    833 x 520 - 35K
  • These are awesome.

Sort of a quote from Bladerunner: "I make friends. Really, I do." (meaning the creatures the guy had created)
  • Thanks, Nano; this is the guy I struggled with. Thankfully, I got some more background info on him now, which made it easier to come up with the top picture, ultimately. Might need to re-render it though and change the perspective on the camera somewhat so that he remains centre of attention but appears closer to us, to see him better. In fact, I'll set that up now, then go to bed.

P.s. I 'm really chuffed with the middle one, although it pretty much killed my computer on account of the many reflections.
  • Oh wow, those are so neat Raetjor, very interesting! Great job!
  • Loving them all. That middle one is good. I like the environment... What is that? I don't recognize it at all. Lots of nice details.

I assume this is how Mitch got his arm?
  • Thanks LT. The set is pretty much cobbled together by myself. It uses walls from the "simple room" set (don't know if it was by 3-d-c, but doubt it since it doesn't show up in there normal folder structure), the door is from the same set but re-textured using magic mirror glass, the table came from 3-d-c's k-azonica SciFi lab, the furniture in the adjoining room from a set called "office" by mike3d which I must have picked up at rendo. The kitchenette is from 3-d-c's "Standard apartment" and the window frames are scaled up re-textured versions of FK's recent rendo freebie picture frames. Add some other things like paper and the cabinets from the dystopia office, some folders and stuff and you are there. I think the posters pinned to the wall came from the OpusMagnum set but was re-textured, too. So hurray for mix and match. The floor is a simple plane scaled up and with a marble structure without gloss applied which makes it look like very short pile carpet.
  • I bow to your shopping-fu, Raet. That's one great assemblage. Love those pix.
  • Oh, the neat thing about those walls is that they are L-shaped with holes for doors and windows in various combinations as well mirrored versions of them plus two ceiling planes. They are plain enough to work as office spaces or public buildings in modern settings as well as interior walls for your average home, plus they can easily be changed to suit the colour and texture you want. Not dissimilar to B9999's simple backdrops in many ways.

I have other scifi corridor and room sets by 3-d-c and kinda swear by them, but they are better suited to sub-oceanic or orbital settings than normal, earth-based research facilities because of their curving, textured walls; so, on rummaging through my runtime I discovered I had these simple wall modules and thought "they'll do nicely" and they do.
  • Update: the walls were a freebie over at shareCG. The link below should take you there.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/31569/related/11/Poser/Simple-Room
  • Jeez. You would absolutely never know that wasn't a set. No wonder I didn't recognize it. :)

Great job.
  • Jeez. You would absolutely never know that wasn't a set. No wonder I didn't recognize it. :)

Great job.

thanks, mate. I think what really helped in making it look cohesive was the colour palette of the grey, silver and pale cream. It works well in keeping it sleek and sterile. Plus, it draws attention to the few drops of colour in it leading your eye back to the cybernetics engineer and nanotechnology modern day Frankenstein at his desk.
  • I like it a great deal- thank you for posting them!
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • CelticFire, I inserted your image for you. Love the colors in that.
  • OOH thank you Nan, I just found the insert button, the "attach file' kinda distracted me from layout of the comments app.

Welcome. :)  It doesn't exactly leap out at you until you mouse over it. I take no credit for this obscurity, I didn't design this forum. :P
  • He IS pretty hot.  :)  LOVE the colored lights.
  • Finally have a new man for y'all.  :)
    CaptMyrr.jpg
    688 x 881 - 384K
  • WHOA! Well, that's  nice surprise.

*slobber*
  • Thanks!  Took days to get the expression and lights right.  >.<
  • Man, that expression rocks. He is most handsome.

Most people wear clothing to blend in, because they stand out rather well when starkers. This chap? He'd vanish against that background! That's some nifty industrial camouflage. ;)
  • Xaa said:

Hey, looks like the Prawn I rigged, too. ;-)

Oh wow, you mean that's your work? I love the prawn but never had anything I felt suitable to put him in. If you made it I must say you did an amazing job!

I didn't create the mesh or textures, I only rigged it. =)
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Wayii said:

Finally have a new man for y'all.  :)

I may say...I agree with Nan on this one. Slobber-wise and camo-wise. I love this one Wayii. ....I wanna bite that chin. :D
  • :D  Thankies. 

I was going for "rode hard, put away wet" more than pretty, but he ended up kinda handsome in a better living through firearms and chemistry kinda way.
  • A very Julian-like face. Only green. *smitten*
  • OOOOOOOH that is very nice! Love it all, not a thing I would critique here! He is very droolicious

I dunno about that.  The lighting still leaves something to be desired and I should probably have postworked some more realistic wrinkling into the sleeves of his shirt and pants.  Maybe later.  >.<
    Nanobot said:

A very Julian-like face. Only green. *smitten*

Now that you mention it... I do see some similarities from that angle.
  • Oh, not the same, but there's something in the eyes and the look. This is a Good Thing!

Still smitten.
  • Wowza. Wayii that rocks so hard. He's amazing. I adore the face. And he does have that rugged, handsome vibe going on. Classic Wayii goodness.

Lighting is pretty good to my eye. The only thing you could do is intensify a short-throw, point light at a low intensity (like 30%) to pop his face out more. You could do it as a help to the side light or add it to the front-ish just to get his eyes going. It needs to be close in, so it doesn't affect anything but his face. I know it sounds weird, but I swear by this trick!
  • Impressive.  Great image to send me off to bed for the night.  :D
  • I concur. Really impressed with the way you posed that dragon and like the mage's spell it seems to draw power out of the ground. The only small drawback is that the knight with his sword is obscured by it.
  • Very impressive indeed!  Well done.
  • Love the action in this scene. And you've handled the magic very nicely. Bravo. :D
  • Regarding not being Noir-ish...well, that's why there's a fantasy thread. :)  Maybe next time? Or you can post it there, too.

Have no worries about that. Enjoying the forums is the important thing! Nobody (and not even me) is grading our ability to stay on topic. And if they were, I'd slap them for being annoying.
  • Ooo. Kink!  :D  I agree as well, great posing on that dragon and the magic effects are fantastic. Though, too, it does obscure the man in the background. ;)
  • Stay on topic? Us?
    WHen and where has that ever happened? image
  • It's on my list of films to see. I saw a fantastic stage version when it came to Glasgow a few years ago and have since found the original book buy Susan Hill. There actually was a rather dodgy TV version BBc or ITV produced in the eighties I think, but it was not nearly as good as seeing it live. Gotta say I'm very much looking forward to this new version it looks fantastically gothic.
  • Hmm... If anyone knows me at all.. You KNOW I'll at least watch it once to see for myself. If it's dark, bloody, disturbing and beautifully done- I'm there. BTW- beautifully done doesn't necessarily mean "pretty". :D
  • Haha well there is very little blood in it Grim, and I must say it did the story a lot more justice that the BBC version, which explained NOTHING! about why the woman was haunting the place anyway. So without giving too many spoilers away all I can say is the newest version is definitely more in line with a creepy horror than most "horror" (ie gore) movies today!

Nah-see. I live gore. (I have body parts hanging by hooks and chains in my 'office' area along with a few Hellraiser and other little tid-bits of horror history sitting about.) I love the old horror movies. (I own the silent Nosferatu, along with most of old classicls like Werewolf, Swamp Thing, Dracula, and tons more.) I love the psychological thrillers. I have branched out into other horror from other countries as well.

So I don't have one area I sink myself into- I sprawl out, take as much room as possible and get GREEDY.

I am a greedy bastid. :D *Note: zOMG this draft saving thing KILLS me every five minutes. O.o Totally freezes me up. End Note.*
  • GRIM said:

I have branched out into other horror from other countries as well.

Have you seen the Russian movie Night Watch?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Both Night and Day Watch are great! Really innovative and quite bleak. As far as horror goes, if I recall correctly they are at the lighter end. I'd probably call it dark fantasy, but then that suggests Clive Barker which they definitely are not.
  • Not gory but tense beyond compare, try and find "session 9" starring Peter Mullen, it's one of my favourites.

And then there is "creep" with Franka Potente which is set in the London Underground system. It's well worth watching.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!