3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
Fantasy
  • The golden guy is wonderful. Loads of character in that mug!

Love the wall texture too. And great job on the sword. The textures turned out really well.
  • Thank you very much!

Another elf... oh well. Meet Lardros. As this is called "Hope for Middle Earth" you can guess which lore he was based on... :)

• He's handsome. The eyes are quite captivating.

Nice vascularity on his hand there too.
  • I could get lost in those eyes.
  • Mmm, beautiful olive green eyes. *purr*
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • My word, Mav, you have got to share some of your tricks for skins... he is *stunning*, and those eyes.... *swoons*
  • I really like the veins and the little lines on his forehead.  People always forget that shit (or do it poorly) on skins.
  • I'm loving the vascularity... a lot.
  • Thank you very much everybody!

I used the "Jeremy Elite" texture as a base for this guys map. I added the tattoos and changed the skin tone, also I added a few more details and made the displacement maps for the hand veins... because most map sets are missing those...and I have a thuing for veins on hands and arms... hurr hurr...  reshadered the whole shit with the UberSurface  and tadaaa, done. No big magic, really. :)

• I agree with the hands, though I'm still working on those displacements. :D  Fantastic image, Mav.  I agree with the eyes, too.  Hoo.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Actual anatomy question rather than esthetic: what causes more vascularity? AP? you there? Because not all hands look the same. Hmmm... Apparently whatever geeky academics do doesn't cause it, or else I'm unobservant in geeky academic mode...

And also gender differences, of course, yes?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • From what I've been told I think that part of it is the amount of force you often exert with the appropriate muscles. More work means more blood flow is needed. If you look at body builders they have much more visible large veins than most people do everywhere except on their faces. AP probably knows other reasons too.
  • Somewhat true, but some of it is just body type too, I think. I am not a body builder, by any stretch. I am very thin, but my hands are extremely vascular. Body builders tend to show it all over, especially on their upper arms and legs. I do know that hydration also has an effect on this.
  • Amount of body fat, muscle development, amount of work done with the hands/feet/legs/arms, gravity, nutrition status, fitness status and hydration status all play a part. Hydration is a big one because I've had repeat patients (especially those that tend to drink a lot) that one day I can put in a standard IV line with my eyes closed given their massive, visible veins and when I see them again they're so dehydrated that they need to get more invasive types of IV lines. 

Of course, the smaller (body type wise) and/or fitter/more muscular the person, the bigger their veins will be. Visible veins on the other hand can be seen in more people. I'm nowhere near what I should be fitness wise and I'm certainly not thin, but my veins are always very, very visible. They pop out of I clench my fists for a long time, or keep my hand down for a long time or become very stressed.
  • Interesting all that. See me staring at peoples' hands now and getting (more) odd looks.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Nurse joke that goes around. "You know you're a nurse when you stare at people's hands and arms and think, 'I'd get that vein with my eyes closed.' or 'Goodness, he looks like a hard stick.'"

True story.
  • *chuckle* I can easily picture that.
  • Well, yeah. Makes sense. Don't you look at a sunset and start visualizing a shader node?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • After a lot of painting (oils, not walls) I have looked around and thought about the tube colors and how to mix them!

Or how to recreate it in Vue...
  • I look at people's hand shapes on public transit (not a lot of bare arms available this time of year in D.C.) There are an awful lot of otherwise average big Anglo men with pointy little fingers, you know that?

My hands are usually vascular. More when thinner, less when fatter. And my veins are generally visible even if not prominent. Just worked out that way. Thin skin.

I recall reading that "blue blood" was taken from observations of thin skin, where veins are very visible. May have been a trait associated with the aristocracy of a time. Not so much nobility as being related to one another, then. ;) 
  • Due to my thin skin my hands are pretty vascular too, On my right hand there's a large vein going from just left of center of my wrist over the tendon for my middle finger and going between the knuckles of the middle finger and the ring one.
  • I must be thick skinned. Not exactly pale-skinned. I have visible, but not prominent veins, although I don't usually have any trouble getting blood drawn.

It's all that rich, healthy peasant blood I got from my mother's side. No thin-skinned weaklings there. You should have seen my aunt. She sure felt like she could have bench-pressed a cow. Probably did when necessary, too.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

Well, yeah. Makes sense. Don't you look at a sunset and start visualizing a shader node?

I once looked at my own skin and thought I had some good specularity going on, :-P

Nanobot said:

After a lot of painting (oils, not walls) I have looked around and thought about the tube colors and how to mix them!

Or how to recreate it in Vue...

I can see that happening, :)
  • *chuckle*
  • Same here... my veins are always visible. When I still was in the fitness studio and working as a carpenter I could see my veins from the tip of my fingers up to my shoulders... which is rather.... well... I am a woman, right? But this is just how I look and now that I am not that fit anymore, my veins are still clearly to be seen. :)
  • Bahaha, I should have refrehsed the page before posting something as an answer to something that has been said like 100 posts before... Hahaha...
  • Hah, now we have everyone staring at hands.
  • LOL
    @Mav: I see it as providing more info for Suro.
  • Exactly. I'll read anything.

that didn't come out right.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

Exactly. I'll read anything.

• Nanobot said:

surochek said:

Exactly. I'll read anything.

Seconded. (At least it's not me this time.)
  • "The Listener"

A little fun for those who have been listening to me recently: thank you!

Really, I have no idea where this came from otherwise, except that
    KempSparky's Amducias looked kind, to me. And surreal. Surely that
    combination is not impossible?

Production notes: M4 with Creature legs and the Amducias character from
    Philosopher's Egg; Nursoda's little Anceata in the speaking role; DM's
    Dream Art I sets; my own lighting setup with the IDL Sphere from RDNA.
    Rendered in Poser Pro2012, with a bit of postwork to tidy up hair and
    improve on the horrid creature legs. They are SO wrong and utterly
    missing the pastern. Ugh.

The little laced-up shorts on the horsey dude are available here in the M4 resources thread.
    the-listener.jpg
    1569 x 2000 - 497K
  • Awwww..... hahaha, Nano, this is actually very very adorable.... and so different from your usual work!
  • An illustration of a scene that is very recent in the rolpeplay that I am in with my dark elf... he was captured by orcs.

• Delicious. And sumptuous textures Mavrosh. The emotion is great too.

Nan - love it! uber fun and I simply love the palette. Once again, you've somehow made a render reminiscent of an oil painting!
  • Ok, so here is the first of the commissions I've been working on. Not pretty, just grumpy. I threw in the one  with plenty of room for the client to write a back story on as a feebie.
    imageimage
    Guardian-of-GardenCityMichael-5.jpg
    4000 x 4000 - 527K
    GuardianOfAlAnfa.jpg
    4000 x 4000 - 1M
  • The second pic? Good pic, but has a focus problem. The bright square of the window fights with the light on the character. If there was any way to darken just that a bit without changing the value of the rest of the image, you'd be in the money. It needs to be less contrasty than the light he's holding.

Other than that? Hey, he should be grateful, that's a nice character! Good work on him!
  • Nanobot said:

The second pic? Good pic, but has a focus problem. The bright square of the window fights with the light on the character. If there was any way to darken just that a bit without changing the value of the rest of the image, you'd be in the money. It needs to be less contrasty than the light he's holding.

Other than that? Hey, he should be grateful, that's a nice character! Good work on him!

Cheers. And I know what you mean, I tried putting another building behind that wall, but that also led to lighting complications, so in the end I let it go. It's probably why I prefer the grunge version myself.
  • Raetjor said:

Nanobot said:

The second pic? Good pic, but has a focus problem. The bright square of the window fights with the light on the character. If there was any way to darken just that a bit without changing the value of the rest of the image, you'd be in the money. It needs to be less contrasty than the light he's holding.

Cheers. And I know what you mean, I tried putting another building behind that wall, but that also led to lighting complications, so in the end I let it go. It's probably why I prefer the grunge version myself.

Ok so I absolutely must know, where did you get that gorgeous chainmail texture? Great Image!
  • Made that myself. I promised almost a month ago to package it up for everybody and now that the commissions are done and my prelim marking slowly diminishes I will get that sorted with the help of Nano, I think. Then you can use it to your heart's content. The outfit is Val's Slicer, with the tunic/skirts bit from xurge's Dark lord and the hood came from the wyrd sister's hierophant set, all re-textured to some extent.
  • I'd be delighted to package up the textures for you. :)
  • Nanobot said:

I'd be delighted to package up the textures for you. :)

Ok, how do we go about this then?
  • Let me send you a PM (this forum has PMs!) Raet, and let us not trouble this thread with technical details.
  • It is so cold in europe... I gotta post something warm...

• Siamese cat! Awwww....cute
  • I was fooling around couple of days ago in Photoshop and thought I wonder what happens if I apply this filter or that... The result was quite cool. Have a look at Daddy Deadshot in this version. I think it cries out to go on a t-shirt.
    AttitudePoster_Tshirt.jpg
    972 x 1152 - 353K
  • Too bad we can't see the gun. I really like the graphic style! That's neat!
  • Touching render, Mav. Lovely, as usual.
  • Great graphic work, and Mav- fantastic warmth!  Adorbz. :D
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!