3d-NOIR IS BACK! Yes, we're back in business. We were OUT of business because of spam applicants. Membership is by invitation only now, for that reason. Members may invite others through their accounts page. Want to join the discussions? Ask a member. :) Note that everyone who WAS a member is STILL a member.
The "I am searching for something specific" thread
  • My figments want a trench coat. The kind that's properly belted and has a nice collar. Out of a 50s film. Not a second-skin trench coat, either. Anyone know a supplier?
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • I only know of these two neither of which I think is really what you are looking for

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/midnight-hunter-for-michael-4/

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/m4-classic-trench-coat/90240

I don't think you can close them. I could make you one using Marvellous Designer if you show me a photo of the style you want but someone else would need to rig the object as I haven't a clue how to do that. I just morph the outfits I make to the pose I want using the MD software.
    This is a freebie MD file as an example.

• I forgot about Midnight Hunter, I have that! But you're right, it doesn't close. Your pic is much more like it.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • This is the look I'm hoping to find:

But I never thought to make it such a production.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Ok So I'm looking for a robe that is not dynamic, that can fit both M4 and V4, that has a nice hood, in this style. http://laslink.net/jody/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Wizard-Robe.jpg

preferably it should be morphable, but if not then I can make do. Also, anyone with a good idea of other hooded clothing those will do as well!
  • Sshodan's is quite close. There's an M4 and a V4 version.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/sshodans-cloaks-m4/84680
  • dylazuna said:

Sshodan's is quite close. There's an M4 and a V4 version.

And it's darn pretty!
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • dylazuna said:

Sshodan's is quite close. There's an M4 and a V4 version.

Thanks, but sadly it won't work in Daz3, it's dynamic. I'm learning Silo now, so maybe this could be a potential project for me in the future.
  • "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Still worth to start with if you're not sure about the switch:

Suspiro ergo sum.
  • surochek said:

Still worth to start with if you're not sure about the switch:

Yeah, I have that pack back when it was up for sale for 14.99. I haven't installed either, since PP 2010 is doing fantabulous for me. :D Besides..With DS3A, DS4P, C8, Bryce 6, Blender, the P7, Morpheus, Hex... How much can I really have available and work with. I should take off Hex, Bryce at least- even if they are on the external rather than the internal HD. I do use both Studio's, Carrara and Poser Pro. It's a juggle as to what to keep, because I want to learn ALL of them. *Snirk* OCD, a touch?
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • I have PP2012 now, but Poser at under $30? that's what got me started down the "other" path.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • Other? Here I was thinking (perhaps incorrectly) that Poser and Poser Pro were based on the same concept program-wise. I know there are differences, some major, between the two..But I assumed it was like getting the free Studio version verses Studio Advanced or Pro..or like Carrara, and Carrara Pro.

Am I incorrect? I may have to dig a bit deeper into this. :D I think I shall.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. " Mark Twain.
  • Hm. So I wasn't totally incorrect. Poser Pro does have differences from the base Poser program, like in Carrara and Carrara Pro. There are things in the Pro version that cannot be used or even a part of in the base program. PP can use Collada exporting, HDRI, background rendering while Poser cannot; or at least in the P7/PP2010 comparisons I've done. So, really........I may have tossed fifteen bucks out of the window for nothing. *Snort* Eh, I figured, but in the end if I originally thought it'd make a great gift to one of the neighbor kids that has shown interest in what I do. *Grin* May as well spread the infection! I will HAVE MY MINIONS!
  • Yes, Poser Pro has more features. But basic Poser is cheaper, and Poser 7 still works with most of the stuff available out there. And Poser providers are pretty good at specifying what version is required. I made the jump from 7 to PP2012 but a small initial investment in 7 proved to me it was worth it, and made it un-scary to learn.

Options are good and pocketbooks vary in size.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • A lot of what makes the "pro" versions "pro" is the inclusion of the Setup Room for creating boned figures and all that goes with it, as well as the ability to export to other programs via a Collada interface. This is very important for Vue users who want to import Poser scenes, as Pro2010 and Pro2012 are pretty much necessary to import to Vue. (And Vue has a fair amount of dedication to Poser figures and content, all things considered.)

I'm probably mangling the specifics in trying to do it from memory, but those are the main things: Export and the most advanced bits of content creation within the program.

Saving things as props or poses or material collections can be done in both Pro and non-pro versions.

You can still create content outside the program and bring it in. Bone hierarchies can even be created in other programs (Dimension3d has some that do that) or in text editors by hand (if you're hardcore).  It's an open enough platform that there's more than one way to do most stuff.
    * A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five!
    * Isn't it wonderful how cute weapons of mass distraction can be?
    * Those are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others.
  • I really liked the look of that cloak so I put this together using MD2. Problem now is how to make it usable for others. I followed a weight mapping tut in the MD forum which is supposed to make the clothing conform but it did some really weird things to the sleeves.  I can supply an object file if someone else wants to play with it. Maybe Poser is more friendly. Or, I can use MD to pose the object dynamically if you supply a pose for your figure then let you have the 'posed' object.
    CloakTest.png
    750 x 1000 - 917K
  • Oh that looks wonderful Dyz! I really like how foldy it is!
  • Here's a copy of the cloak object in a T pose for M4 plus the tutorial for weight mapping in Daz if anyone wants to experiment. It actually works a little better on Genesis but strange things still happen to the sleeves. There's a file in Daz sizing and one in Poser.

Personally I think you get better draping using MD rather than conforming the clothing so if anyone wants to try that root then I need a pose file for the figure you want to fit. (Doesn't have to be M4).
    SleevedCloak.zip
    4M
  • Nabbed. ;-)
    Jim Farris, Author, Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • I made some changes to the trench coat freebie. This one doesn't conform so well though as I can't T pose it in MD2. Just like a real coat, it all lifts up around the shoulders!! I posed this in MD and then loaded the posed object into Daz. Let me know if you want to use it and I'll make a few more adjustments. At the moment it fastens the wrong way for a male!image
    reality_scene.png
    750 x 1000 - 862K
  • dylazuna said:

At the moment it fastens the wrong way for a male!

I could live with that, since most of my renders are females. Having that as an OBJ for dynamics would be great. Is it available somewhere?
  • The freebie was a .pac cloth file for Marvellous Designer which I altered to make more like Surochek's example. I can export and load up an OBJ like I did with the cape. Can you still use it if it isn't in T pose? And do you want it posed on a female figure? My demo is based on M5. I can package up the original freebie version shown at the top of the page as well if you want.
  • dylazuna said:

Can you still use it if it isn't in T pose? And do you want it posed on a female figure?

Yes, I can use it if it's not in a T-pose.

While it would simplify things if it was posed (and shaped) for a female figure, you don't have to if you don't want.  After all, I do have male figures, as well. =)

As far as any other versions, I would be quite happy to have them. =)

Unfortunately, I don't have Marvellous Designer.  I tried it and quickly discovered it was well beyond my ability to use. ;-)

=)
  • That's beautiful! I'd love an .obj file too because I'd use it in the Poser cloth room, I think, and if I can't figure out how to fit it to my figures, I'll badg... um, plead with Xaa to teach me.

Now is it a big job to flip it for a properly-male-closing version? Because I really, really like it.

(I don't have MD either, because I decided it was too much work, money, and ambition for me; I'd better get good with the tools I have first)
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • I bought MD when it first came out and was on offer. I only have the personal licence but it's OK to share objects for free :) I like it, probably because I used to make costumes so pattern pieces and clothing construction I understand. I don't use it often enough to get really proficient with it though. There are some amazing outfits in the forum gallery. Also, every time I go to use it there's seems to be a new release and things have changed which doesn't help the learning curve either.

I'm going to flip the fastenings as I want it that way round for myself as well, but I'll save both versions. Figured I might as well use it now I have it! It's no trouble to fit to other figures as I just re-redrape the cloth around a different avatar.

Now, I can remember someone mentioning in the forums way back when that setting the material zones up in a certain way can help with using/rigging the object. So if someone knows what that means and can explain it to me, I'll try and do that as well. I have an idea about it as I've been experimenting in Daz and working through Blondie's rigging tutorial http://www.daz3d.com/shop/utilities-resources/tutorials/rigging-original-figures-in-ds4-pro/
    Gingerbread men are fine, but I think the hooded cape and triangulated mesh was a bit too complex for a second attempt. Haven't a clue how to get the sleeves to behave nicely :D

BTW would you like the object with the collar up or down, or does it matter?
  • I think people could use both. Collar down in most circumstances but, say, if it's raining or windy the collar would be useful up.
  • Terre said:

I think people could use both. Collar down in most circumstances but, say, if it's raining or windy the collar would be useful up.

Ideally, yes, both. Me, I'd want up first for what I have in mind, but both would be equally desirable.
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • dylazuna said:

BTW would you like the object with the collar up or down, or does it matter?

Both, if possible
  • YES please! That's a nice trench coat. All versions possible. (No, I'm not greedy or nuthin'...)
  • Nanobot said:

YES please! That's a nice trench coat. All versions possible. (No, I'm not greedy or nuthin'...)

*GRIN* I am. I am unashamed to admit it, too. I would love something like this myself, and I admire Dyla for doin' this! Thank you!
  • Well, I feel better about wanting it all too. image @ Dyla
    Suspiro ergo sum.
  • So here are the trench coat objects.
    I've split them up between M4/V4 and daz/poser sizing. I've also included a button and fabric tile from the original freebie. As well as the style shown above, I've included one with raglan sleeves as in Surochek's example as I thought it fitted better around the shoulders; but that's just personal choice, you have both styles in the zip files.
    The objects are A posed. Since I'm not a Poser user, I'll give the dials for Daz and maybe you can adjust them for Poser.
    M4  rCollar Front-Back -2 Up-Down 3; rShldr Up-Down 45; rForearm Bend -12 (Left side mirrors)
    V4  rCollar Front-Back -3 Up-Down 2; rShldr Up-Down 40; rForearm Bend -15 (Left side mirrors)

Hope they work OK. If you have problems I'll try and sort them out, as I haven't shared the objects in this way before.

I just used shaders in my demo, but if you're into creating texture maps etc. the objects should UV map OK as I've done that in the past; but if I've left any of the material pieces overlapping, let me know :)
    M4_TrenchCoat.zip
    2M
    M4_TrenchCoat_Poser.zip
    2M
    V4_TrenchCoat.zip
    1M
    V4_TrenchCoat_Poser.zip
    1M
  • Ok. That does it. I need to start using Poser right now so I can use that fantabulous coat... Holy cow that's awesome! Thanks for sharing, Dyla, :)
  • It's true I haven't got the objects to 'conform' very well in Daz, but you can always send me a pose/morph file for your character and I will pose the coat in MD2 and send you the 'posed' object. Make sure it is the final pose the figure will have in the scene though or the object will need to be re-posed in MD.
  • O_O
    You rock, did you know that? I've been dying to make a picture with one of my characters wearing a long coat/trench over his armor but I just can't find the right style or one that can fit over the armor. How are you rigging them for Daz? with DS4 rigging or earlier?
  • I don't actually rig them in Daz. It doesn't seem to work very well. I've read in the Daz forums that the objects work better in Poser. To use the cloth, I pose my character in Daz, export the posed figure as an object to MD2, then run the cloth simulation to drape the clothing on the posed figure. I then re-export the posed clothing to Daz. So that's what I meant by sending me a posed file for your character. If you want me to pose one of the coats over armour then msg me as it will be a little trickier to set up, but we can sort something out.
  • To be fair, some folks use the same process in Poser, or so I recall. This is a generous offer, dylazuna!
  • Nanobot said:

Many things that work in 32-bit will work fine on 64-bit win systems.

Hey Nan ok so I never got to use the injectpmd you uploaded here because I had some pc issues, but I realized today the folder you uploaded was empty, but that's ok, I found the original forum thread where Injectpmd was originally released, here is the official uploads for any other studio users, not sure if poser uses injectpmd.
    http://www.4shared.com/dir/4851309/fc76215/DS_Plugins.html

And once again, thanks Nan, I really appreciated it!
  • Am confused, but that's normal. But hey, you found the plugin thingie!
  • Now then, where does one find a waterpolo cap? For M4, not me.
  • I'm looking for a 4-poster bed something like this.  or any brass headboard.  doesn't matter if its for poser or just in obj format

• Elynda said:

I'm looking for a 4-poster bed something like this.  or any brass headboard.  doesn't matter if its for poser or just in obj format

Should be pretty straightforward.  Give me awhile.
  • oh thank you sweetie!  no rush whatsoever. <3
  • Okay, bed frame and some basic bedding.  If you want better bedding you'll have to use dynamics.  It's not sized for Poser or anything, this is just what I did in MAX, converted to OBJ, with some basic bed, pillow and sheet models I had lying around tucked in to put something on the bedframe.  There are no textures or anything, but everything should be UV mapped and ready to texture as you wish.  Just import it, scale it, save it to the library, and away you go.
    brassbed.zip
    1M
  • Looks like this:
    bed.jpg
    831 x 538 - 46K
  • oh it's perfect Jim.  thanks so much!  tell Terre to give you a big hug from me :D
  • I will. :)
  • Elynda said:

oh it's perfect Jim.  thanks so much!  tell Terre to give you a big hug from me :D

You're welcome. =)
  • Very well done, Jim! Coulda used something like that years ago for a rendering idea I had. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!